Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,367 members, 7,829,936 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo (10104 Views)

Some Common Misconceptions Nigerians Have About Other Nigerians. / Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? / Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Nobody: 5:35am On Jun 12, 2007
and how do you say Yoruba in Igbo?
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Nobody: 5:41am On Jun 12, 2007
We just call Edos/Urhobos and co. Bendel or Delta/Edo for the younger generation, no Igbo person I know call them Yorubas. We just call them Delta/Edo/Bendel!
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by WesleyanA(f): 5:41am On Jun 12, 2007
no. i mean "yoruba person"

ex. "she is a yoruba" rather than "she is a yoruba person"
how do you say the "person" in igbo language.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by WesleyanA(f): 5:47am On Jun 12, 2007
Donzman:

We just call Edos/Urhobos and co. Bendel or Delta/Edo for the younger generation, no Igbo person I know call them Yorubas. We just call them Delta/Edo/Bendel!

i agree with you.
but when i was younger . the place i grew up was mostly just yoruba and some igbos so we just always assumed that everybody was either yoruba or igbo. the edo people were usually taken for yoruba. I'm speaking for where i lived and not everyone else.
i was surprised to find out later on that there were hausas, edos, and that calabar people didn't consider themselves igbo.
diversity and being able to see different things can clear up ignorant minds sometimes. lol
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by debosky(m): 5:52am On Jun 12, 2007
i don't know where you lived Wes, but since I was young i've been taught to differentiate among different groups, first by names, and then later by language or dressing as i learned more.

even yoruba people call them 'bede' or Bendel people. and yoruba people definitely do not call people from the 'far east' (- Efik, Ibibio, Anang ) igbo, the mistake is more often likely to call the person 'calabar'.

these are no excuses though, our school system should do more to educate people about other parts of the country, that is the single remaining usefulness of the NYSC thing when its not 'arranged'

I for one try to know people's specific tribe/locale, I like entiching my knowledge of the variants of cultures abounding in Nigeria.

I don't support name calling in general, but the yoruba's love this too much, there is a name for everything, even amongst themselves e.g ara oke (people from oyo/osun states) ojuyobo (tinubu) amongst many others. I don't see this as vindictive, its just a cultural trait that may not be well received by others. mutual consideration is what is required in this case.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by WesleyanA(f): 6:01am On Jun 12, 2007
lol you're so right. yorubas love name calling. it's like a second language.
it most annoying when some mothers start cursing their kids out loud.

i thought "ara oke" meant "uptown" undecided I'm from osun.

i don't find anything wrong with "omo ***" unless you know the person's name or use a ugly tone. or am i wrong?
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by laudate: 6:38pm On Jun 12, 2007
WesleyanA:

how do you say "yoruba person" in igbo?

Ofei mmanu. . . ! cheesy

WesleyanA:

i thought "ara oke" meant "uptown" undecided I'm from osun.

Yup. You are right. It means 'uptown' people or those from the upper land. It was used to refer to distance, in the past. But they also use the name for Northern Yoruba folks from Kwara & Kogi as well, not just Osun. Hehehehe. . .  grin
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jun 12, 2007
nairaland is great indeed.
All these years I never knew that some people in Nigeria did not know what many of us took for granted.
That there are various ethnicities in Nigeria.
Tufiakwa
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by WesleyanA(f): 1:46am On Jun 13, 2007
i have a question!!
is badagry a part of lagos? they speak a different language.

Ofei mmanu. . . !

i'll remember to curse out whoever calls me this, thanks!! j/k
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by debosky(m): 1:48am On Jun 13, 2007
yes they are part of Lagos State, a simple look at the map will show you that, they speak Egun and are very proud of it, I tried to learn when I was younger, LTV used to give newscasts in the lingo, but I never went past a few words.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by WesleyanA(f): 2:01am On Jun 13, 2007
debosky:

[b]LTV used to give newscasts in the lingo, [/b]but I never went past a few words.

OMG i remember this!!!
this was such a long time ago

I just used to assume that badagry was part of togo because of their different language. but it was just a guess. i wasn't sure.
thanks
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Nobody: 2:04am On Jun 13, 2007
WesleyanA:

I remember telling this annoying girl to "go back to ghana" when i was 6 years 'cause she wasn't yoruba or igbo and i didn't know what she was. lol
it wasn't until i was around 9 that i met people from various ethnicities at my school. i even had an hausa bestfriend. she's the only hausa person i've ever been close with in my entire life. lol

i have a question!!
is badagry a part of lagos? they speak a different language.

i'll remember to curse out whoever calls me this, thanks!! j/k

THe saying ofe mmanu is nothing but a wise observation that the oil in the soup could cook 3 other pots of soup and nobody denies this statement of fact grin
no be true?
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by WesleyanA(f): 2:06am On Jun 13, 2007
so, what does it mean? grin

i'll take it that it doesn't translate to "yoruba person." it means something else.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Nobody: 2:07am On Jun 13, 2007
ndi ofe mmanu means "the people that cook oily soup".
and Yoruba soups and stews are heart attacks waiting to happen grin
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by WesleyanA(f): 2:10am On Jun 13, 2007
lmao. i don't cook oily soup (yeah, well, maybe sometimes)

but if "the people that cook oily soup" is acceptable, how is "child/descendant of igbo" not acceptable?
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by debosky(m): 2:11am On Jun 13, 2007
dream on mamaosisi, heart attack gini?

you people use palm oil more than us which is more dangerous, you people are the ones who need to worry grin
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Nobody: 2:13am On Jun 13, 2007
ofe mmanu is not acceptable I was kidding and neither is omo anything.
We should learn to call people by their names.
It is rude to call anyone child of anything when they have a name.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Nobody: 2:14am On Jun 13, 2007
debosky:

dream on mamaosisi, heart attack gini?

you people use palm oil more than us which is more dangerous, you people are the ones who need to worry grin

Yorubas are well known for layers of transfat in all their meals including moi moi.
It does taste good but you can feel your arteries clogging up as you swallow
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by debosky(m): 2:18am On Jun 13, 2007
LIES all LIES!! we are healthy and strong gidigba, nothing do us.

there is nothing like transfat in naija, na oyibo man problem be dat grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by omogenaija(f): 2:20am On Jun 13, 2007
babyosisi:

Yorubas are well known for layers of transfat in all their meals including moi moi.
It does taste good but you can feel your arteries clogging up as you swallow

thats so true  undecided i just had moimoi right now and my arteries are clogging up right @ this second ,
and some yorubas might even be a nigerian thing but i'm not sure use chicken fat to cook  lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by WesleyanA(f): 2:26am On Jun 13, 2007
babyosisi:

ofe mmanu is not acceptable I was kidding and neither is omo anything.
We should learn to call people by their names.
It is rude to call anyone child of anything when they have a name.

oh yeah definitely. that's rude if you know the person's name and even if you don't, one can ask.

i will only use "omo" when i'm describing someone or a group.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:19am On Jun 13, 2007
osisi, you are just being dramatic so never mind

and Wes, confusing Edos with Yorubas happens all the time, most tribes are guilty of it so people need to stop crying and get over it. Again, if someone calls you by an incorrect tribe, you correct them because no one cares for the unnecessary weeping.

Btw Wes, no mind them jere,  They are crying over "omo naa" yet do you see Yorubas weeping like goats when they go around calling us the "Yoruba people", give me a damn break.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:20am On Jun 13, 2007
I love how Donz acts like he speaks for all Igbos, so because he and the "people he knows" dont call Edos Yorubas, that means all Igbos dont make that same mistake.

abeg, sharrap jare.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Nobody: 4:09am On Jun 13, 2007
What makes you think we should believe you over me?. . .By the way, I spent 6 years of my secondary school in Benin so I have more credibility than you. Obviously I've heard countless Igbo people talk about where I go to school, they never once mistook them for Yoruba. It's either Bendel/Edo!

I do not speak for Igbo people and neither do you, I'm just talking out of my plenty experience. cheesy
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:10am On Jun 13, 2007
It's just irritating how you keep comparing your own individual experience with everything

So because the people that surrounded you years ago supposedly never confused Edos for being Yorubas that means every Igbo person has never been guilty of such? dude just sharrap over there, jere.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Nobody: 5:26am On Jun 13, 2007
I think it's safe to say I know more Igbos than you do and thu smy observations are more valid than yours. Honestly, I do not know anyone who calls Edo people Yoruba.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by ajayi1(m): 5:24pm On Jun 13, 2007
Nah
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:40am On Jun 14, 2007
*rolls eyes*

Who the hell cares if YOU havent seen anyone say it? Who are you again? I freaking have and that is my point. Case Closed. You've never been to The States so who are you to tell me what I havent seen or heard
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Nobody: 3:50am On Jun 14, 2007
What are you talking about?. . .I've been to the states a million times, Detroit is 2 hrs. away from me!

Anyway, maybe you've heard at some odd place but most people do not call Edos, Yorubas.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by laudate: 3:30pm On Jun 14, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

*rolls eyes*

Who the hell cares if YOU havent seen anyone say it? Who are you again? I freaking have and that is my point. Case Closed. You've never been to The States so who are you to tell me what I havent seen or heard

ThiefofHearts, you need to know Donzman by now. If he can't blame a non-Igbo for all the ills in Alaigbo, he will claim that his own perspective is the only one, that is valid. And he will make this claim till kingdom come, even when the truth is so patently obvious. A lot of Edo folks I know, speak Yoruba, and some of them even bear Yoruba names, especially those from Akoko-Edo local govt. area. The late journalist Tunde Giwa was a good example. Yet, Donzman wants us to believe that all Nd'Igbo from Agbor to Ebonyi, have never confused an Edo man with a Yoruba person. I beg, make we hear word. tongue
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jun 14, 2007
See it's comical when people misrepresent ideas. If a person from Akoko-Edo who bears a Yoruba name is mistaken for Yoruba, that's a whole different thing. I've mistaken an Edo person from Auchi as Hausa in the past.

This isn't the same thing as the claim that Igbos OFTEN mistake Edo people as Yoruba, I already told you, if they bear a name that isn't Calabar (sorry Efik), or Yoruba and they're not from the North, we just call them Bendel/Edo/Delta,
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by mohadana: 11:17pm On Jun 14, 2007
The Etsakos People(Auchi as one of their local government headquarters.}they are mostly Muslims From Edo State.due to their Muslims Religion they bear Muslim names .they are not Hausa's.Hausa's only bear Muslims names not their name.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

We The Ikwerre Are Igbos By Ikechukwu A. Ogu(interesting Write Up) / Learn French Live On Nairaland!!! / THE TAROK PEOPLE'S Culture----best In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.