Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,641 members, 7,809,404 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:02 AM

Massacred Miners: Enugu Commemorates 70th Anniversary (Photos) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Massacred Miners: Enugu Commemorates 70th Anniversary (Photos) (21046 Views)

Bianca Ojukwu Marks Her 20th Traditional Marriage Anniversary (Photos) / Buhari Cuts A Cake With Ojukwu During His 70th Birthday (Throwback Photo) / 157 Soldiers Massacred Same Day Service Chiefs Were At APC Rally - Reno (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Massacred Miners: Enugu Commemorates 70th Anniversary (Photos) by nwekeugochukwu: 9:11pm On Nov 18, 2019
Enugu Remembers Fallen Miners

On November 18, 1949, exactly 70yrs ago, over 21 miners were massacred and over 50 others injured at the Iva Valley coal mine in Enugu.

IgbereTV reports that on Monday 18th November, 2019, there was wreath-laying ceremony in honour of the miners around 9am at the monument at New Market roundabout

Enugu people comprising members of the Nigeria Labour Congress Enugu Chapter and other individuals came out to honour the fallen miners.

Historical Importance Of Coal Mining In Nigeria

Coal generated lots of revenue for Nigeria between the years 1916 and 1970 when it was one of Nigeria’s major revenue earners. In the south eastern part of the country exploration of the mineral began proper in present day Enugu State in 1909, with production at the mines in Onyeama, Ogbete, Iva Valley and Okpara climbing from 25, 511 tons in 1916 to an estimated 583,422 tons before a decline set in during the Nigerian Civil War which started in 1967 and ended 1970. At the end of the war most parts of the South east had been ravaged and many expatriate mining experts, mostly from Britain and Poland had left Nigeria.

What Led To The Massacre of The Coal Miners

Richard L Sklar, a political scientist, wrote on the significance of their sacrifice, “Historians may conclude that the slaying of the coal miners by police at Enugu first proved the subjective reality of a Nigerian nation. No previous event ever evoked a manifestation of national consciousness comparable to the indignation generated by this tragedy.”

The Iva valley coal mine, which took its name from the Iva valley in which it is stationed, is situated near Enugu metropolis of Enugu state, South-Eastern Nigeria, which was opened in 1917 to replace the Udi coal mine which had been shut down. Created at the height of industrialization in eastern Nigeria, the demand for coal was high due to the Nigerian railway corporation being the highest consumer of coal in the country at that time.

There were cases of racism and physical abuse meted out to Nigerians by the British managers. An example of such was when Mister T. Yates, a British national on September 2, 1945 assaulted a worker, Mr Okwudili Ojiyi. The victim took courage and brought up an assault case and Mr T. Yates was prosecuted and penalized.

Everything boiled over when on November 1st, 1949, the management rejected the demands for the payment of rostering, the upgrading of the mine hewers to artisans and the payment of housing and travelling allowances. Having no other alternative, the workers began their strike.

For every action there is an equal reaction. The reaction of the British managers was to sack the coal miners, over fifty of them. They feared that the strike was part of the ever growing agitation for independence, so on November 18th 1949, they decided to remove the explosives that were within the mines.

The explosives of the sister mine Obwetti were easily removed but those of Iva valley were not because the workers refused to assist the management to do so.

The Fitzgerald Commission, a directive that the colonialists were forced to set up to investigate the massacre, found that the motive behind why the miners objected to the removal of the explosives was because they were afraid that once the explosives were removed, nothing stood in the way of the management closing the mine and putting them out of much needed work.

The senior superintendent of police at that time, Mr F.S Philip came to the mine, together with two other officers and seventy-five armed policemen to remove the explosives, but a struggle ensued between three of the policemen and the workers. At this point Philip, without second thoughts and hesitation, ordered his men to open fire on the defenceless coal miners.

This tragedy sparked a butterfly effect in places like Onitsha, Aba, and Port Harcourt resulting in mass protests and eighteen prominent Nigerians created the national emergency committee (NEC) to coordinate a national response to this atrocity against humankind. It was presided over by Dr Akinola Maja with Mbonu Ojike as the secretary.

The colonial government of course lied that the coal miners had been armed, had tried to disarm and also attempted to seize the explosives for themselves. The commission of course saw through this falsehood. The Commission partly blamed the union and said that Superintendent F.S Philip committed a grave error of judgement, stated that;

“Not one policeman was injured, not one missile was thrown at them (and that) if the crowd was bent on using force against the police nothing could have saved these policemen from grave injury, whereas in fact they were not injured at all”

Such was the colonial masters’ bloody legacy and the people’s struggle for freedom.

Today at New Market round-about, an everlasting monument can still be seen, as a mark of respect for the brave men who were brave enough to stand against British tyranny and to show that their spirits live on in the hearts of all of us.

http://igberetvnews.com/1144003/enugu-commemorates-70th-anniversary-fallen-miners-photos/

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Massacred Miners: Enugu Commemorates 70th Anniversary (Photos) by nwekeugochukwu: 9:15pm On Nov 18, 2019
Visit: http://igberetvnews.com for more

2 Likes

Re: Massacred Miners: Enugu Commemorates 70th Anniversary (Photos) by Officialgarri: 9:15pm On Nov 18, 2019
"The labour of our heroes past........ "

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Massacred Miners: Enugu Commemorates 70th Anniversary (Photos) by gidgiddy: 10:02pm On Nov 18, 2019
What some people may not know is that the Iva Valley massacre of 1949 was amongst the major reasons that united Igbos to join the independence struggle from Britain

24 Likes

Re: Massacred Miners: Enugu Commemorates 70th Anniversary (Photos) by rexchazy(m): 10:08pm On Nov 18, 2019
When u make futher inquiry U will discover it was a black MAN than was given order to kill is fellow countryman. The black race see the white as demigod and I wondered why. I sorry sorry o, I sorry for Africa in Fela's voice

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Massacred Miners: Enugu Commemorates 70th Anniversary (Photos) by EBMedia: 6:40am On Nov 19, 2019
They are really heroes

3 Likes

Re: Massacred Miners: Enugu Commemorates 70th Anniversary (Photos) by Nobody: 6:44am On Nov 19, 2019
Igbo's always speaks out against injustice....if its today they will call those workers wailers and miscreants

Some will say Give Nyamiri a job he complains don't give him he complains

Others will say they complain of marginalization even when they are working in coal mine

Truth remains Igbo's are more of a better nigeria than politics if we can't have it...we want out

Meanwhile we are speaking out again here

49 Likes

Re: Massacred Miners: Enugu Commemorates 70th Anniversary (Photos) by weownlagos: 8:16am On Nov 21, 2019
Lalasticlala mods this post deserves a spot at the promise land.

5 Likes

Re: Massacred Miners: Enugu Commemorates 70th Anniversary (Photos) by golddust6000(m): 8:24am On Nov 21, 2019
When you realise harm done by so called white people, killing their children will be a welcome development.

1 Like

Re: Massacred Miners: Enugu Commemorates 70th Anniversary (Photos) by ebukajay184: 8:24am On Nov 21, 2019
weownlagos:
Lalasticlala mods this post deserves a spot at the promise land.
very correct
Re: Massacred Miners: Enugu Commemorates 70th Anniversary (Photos) by shakushakuist(f): 12:09pm On Nov 21, 2019
eyah
Re: Massacred Miners: Enugu Commemorates 70th Anniversary (Photos) by noble71(m): 12:11pm On Nov 21, 2019
Continue to Rest in Peace Our hero's.

6 Likes

Re: Massacred Miners: Enugu Commemorates 70th Anniversary (Photos) by ednut1(m): 12:12pm On Nov 21, 2019
Wow
Re: Massacred Miners: Enugu Commemorates 70th Anniversary (Photos) by mokane28: 12:13pm On Nov 21, 2019
☝️
Re: Massacred Miners: Enugu Commemorates 70th Anniversary (Photos) by Diesel1(m): 12:14pm On Nov 21, 2019
Onuigbo by osita osadebe

14 Likes

Re: Massacred Miners: Enugu Commemorates 70th Anniversary (Photos) by Nobody: 12:18pm On Nov 21, 2019
sad
Re: Massacred Miners: Enugu Commemorates 70th Anniversary (Photos) by Thebwoy: 12:21pm On Nov 21, 2019
Igbo but igbo

So long as there is life, there is hope.

If u Hit south with atomic bomb today, August next year dey have started building mansions on those areas being hitted.

Igbo kwenu!

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Massacred Miners: Enugu Commemorates 70th Anniversary (Photos) by Nobody: 12:28pm On Nov 21, 2019
nwekeugochukwu:

On November 18, 1949, exactly 70yrs ago, over 21 miners were massacred and over 50 others injured at the Iva Valley coal mine in Enugu.

IgbereTV reports that on Monday 18th November, 2019, there was wreath-laying ceremony in honour of the miners around 9am at the monument at New Market roundabout

Enugu people comprising members of the Nigeria Labour Congress Enugu Chapter and other individuals came out to honour the fallen miners.

Coal generated lots of revenue for Nigeria between the years 1916 and 1970 when it was one of Nigeria’s major revenue earners. In the south eastern part of the country exploration of the mineral began proper in present day Enugu State in 1909, with production at the mines in Onyeama, Ogbete, Iva Valley and Okpara climbing from 25, 511 tons in 1916 to an estimated 583,422 tons before a decline set in during the Nigerian Civil War which started in 1967 and ended 1970. At the end of the war most parts of the South east had been ravaged and many expatriate mining experts, mostly from Britain and Poland had left Nigeria.

Richard L Sklar, a political scientist, wrote on the significance of their sacrifice, “Historians may conclude that the slaying of the coal miners by police at Enugu first proved the subjective reality of a Nigerian nation. No previous event ever evoked a manifestation of national consciousness comparable to the indignation generated by this tragedy.”

The Iva valley coal mine, which took its name from the Iva valley in which it is stationed, is situated near Enugu metropolis of Enugu state, South-Eastern Nigeria, which was opened in 1917 to replace the Udi coal mine which had been shut down. Created at the height of industrialization in eastern Nigeria, the demand for coal was high due to the Nigerian railway corporation being the highest consumer of coal in the country at that time.

There were cases of racism and physical abuse meted out to Nigerians by the British managers. An example of such was when Mister T. Yates, a British national on September 2, 1945 assaulted a worker, Mr Okwudili Ojiyi. The victim took courage and brought up a9n assault case and Mr T. Yates was prosecuted and penalized.

Everything boiled over when on November 1st, 1949, the management rejected the demands for the payment of rostering, the upgrading of the mine hewers to artisans and the payment of housing and travelling allowances. Having no other alternative, the workers began their strike.

For every action there is an equal reaction. The reaction of the British managers was to sack the coal miners, over fifty of them. They feared that the strike was part of the ever growing agitation for independence, so on November 18th 1949, they decided to remove the explosives that were within the mines.

The explosives of the sister mine Obwetti were easily removed but those of Iva valley were not because the workers refused to assist the management to do so.

The Fitzgerald Commission, a directive that the colonialists were forced to set up to investigate the massacre, found that the motive behind why the miners objected to the removal of the explosives was because they were afraid that once the explosives were removed, nothing stood in the way of the management closing the mine and putting them out of much needed work.

The senior superintendent of police at that time, Mr F.S Philip came to the mine, together with two other officers and seventy-five armed policemen to remove the explosives, but a struggle ensued between three of the policemen and the workers. At this point Philip, without second thoughts and hesitation, ordered his men to open fire on the defenceless coal miners.

This tragedy sparked a butterfly effect in places like Onitsha, Aba, and Port Harcourt resulting in mass protests and eighteen prominent Nigerians created the national emergency committee (NEC) to coordinate a national response to this atrocity against humankind. It was presided over by Dr Akinola Maja with Mbonu Ojike as the secretary.

The colonial government of course lied that the coal miners had been armed, had tried to disarm and also attempted to seize the explosives for themselves. The commission of course saw through this falsehood. The Commission partly blamed the union and said that Superintendent F.S Philip committed a grave error of judgement, stated that;

“Not one policeman was injured, not one missile was thrown at them (and that) if the crowd was bent on using force against the police nothing could have saved these policemen from grave injury, whereas in fact they were not injured at all”

Such was the colonial masters’ bloody legacy and the people’s struggle for freedom.

Today at New Market round-about, an everlasting monument can still be seen, as a mark of respect for the brave men who were brave enough to stand against British tyranny and to show that their spirits live on in the hearts of all of us.

http://igberetvnews.com/1144003/enugu-commemorates-70th-anniversary-fallen-miners-photos/

If you think or believe that you have read Nigerian history and this is new to you, then you have to start all over again, please.
I have the book somewhere on my shelf at home.

5 Likes

Re: Massacred Miners: Enugu Commemorates 70th Anniversary (Photos) by Nobody: 12:29pm On Nov 21, 2019
nwekeugochukwu:

Richard L Sklar, a political scientist, 9wrote on the significance of their sacrifice, “Historians may conclude that the slaying of the coal miners by police at Enugu first proved the subjective reality of a Nigerian nation. No previous event ever evoked a manifestation of national consciousness comparable to the indignation generated by this tragedy.”

There were cases of racism and physical abuse meted out to Nigerians by the British managers. An example of such was when Mister T. Yates, a British national on September 2, 1945 assaulted a worker, Mr Okwudili Ojiyi. The victim took courage and brought up a9n assault case and Mr T. Yates was prosecuted and penalized.

If you think or believe that you have read Nigerian history and this episode of it is new to you, then you have to start all over again.
I have the book somewhere on my shelf at home. It was actually written by a British author and academic. In that book, the author stated the British authorities believed that the miners were being encouraged to strike by a radical group known as the "Zikist Movement" thereby, heightening their fears that the strike could metamorphose into something else. That group was later proscribed.

Those officers had zero chill.

3 Likes

Re: Massacred Miners: Enugu Commemorates 70th Anniversary (Photos) by musicwriter(m): 12:31pm On Nov 21, 2019
Remember, Britain didn't stop doing same thing to you today in other ways.

4 Likes

Re: Massacred Miners: Enugu Commemorates 70th Anniversary (Photos) by Thecvbankng: 12:33pm On Nov 21, 2019
Sai
Re: Massacred Miners: Enugu Commemorates 70th Anniversary (Photos) by kettykin: 12:34pm On Nov 21, 2019
is there a difference between the DNA of the igbos of that Era and the DNA of the igbos of the present Era. Igbos of that generation carried out aba women's riot , Iva Valley resistance, the ekumeku resistance , the Aro / Anglo war , the fight for Independence.

Please what is the present generation offering igbo race , can some one educate me , or has the igbo blood and DNA been diluted with worthless blood from vultures and hyenas.

I don't think igbos are living up to expectation , previously the Soviet Union , Britain and Egypt acknowledged the resilience,fighting spirit of the igbos , but now all i see is compromisers trying their best to confuse the rest of the igbo race

8 Likes

Re: Massacred Miners: Enugu Commemorates 70th Anniversary (Photos) by Taciturn1: 12:35pm On Nov 21, 2019
"With the study of history comes an understanding of the society, an imbuement of a sense of identity or belonging, which inspires and warns us to avoid mistakes of the past in order for us to be better people."

https://www.theabujainquirer.com/?page=920&get=920

1 Like

Re: Massacred Miners: Enugu Commemorates 70th Anniversary (Photos) by SoNature(m): 12:37pm On Nov 21, 2019
Thank God that coal is gradually becoming useless in the world as consumers are turning to renewal energy sources to meet their energy needs.

Another risky but very lucrative job that will give way in the future is upstream OIL and GAS. Those guys do the riskiest job in the world

RIP to the miners

Your contributions to the development of your country will never be forgotten.
Re: Massacred Miners: Enugu Commemorates 70th Anniversary (Photos) by mcmbonu: 12:38pm On Nov 21, 2019
H
Re: Massacred Miners: Enugu Commemorates 70th Anniversary (Photos) by LZAA: 12:43pm On Nov 21, 2019
Officialgarri:
"The labour of our heroes past........ "
Shatap
Goan praise tinubu
Cc immhotep GMBuharii Afamed
Re: Massacred Miners: Enugu Commemorates 70th Anniversary (Photos) by subcbouy: 12:44pm On Nov 21, 2019
Ancient oil industry.
Re: Massacred Miners: Enugu Commemorates 70th Anniversary (Photos) by LZAA: 12:45pm On Nov 21, 2019
kettykin:
is there a difference between the DNA of the igbos of that Era and the DNA of the igbos of the present Era. Igbos of that generation carried out aba women's riot , Iva Valley resistance, the ekumeku resistance , the Aro / Anglo war , the fight for Independence.

Please what is the present generation offering igbo race , can some one educate me , or has the igbo blood and DNA been diluted with worthless blood from vultures and hyenas.

I don't think igbos are living up to expectation , previously the Soviet Union , Britain and Egypt acknowledged the resilience,fighting spirit of the igbos , but now all i see is compromisers trying their best to confuse the rest of the igbo race
Every tribe has it's sabos
Jews killed jews in ww2 ffs
But for u to say this it simply means you don't have a clue of ndigbo
Shey it was here afonjas were fuming about the support kanu was getting?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ganduje VS Sanusi: Northern Elders Lead Peace Mission To Kano / War Without End Between Tinubu & Osinbajo Supporters / Biafra: Show Evidence Of Your Project In Southeast – Omirhobo Challenges Gowon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.