Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:43 AM

Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? (11212 Views)

How Much Is A 'good' Salary In Nigerian Private Sector Employment / Babs Omotowa: The Public School Teacher Who Became CEO Of NLNG / Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by abiodun005ng: 3:48pm On Nov 20, 2019
I work in two places, Place A and place B
place A is a private work while place B is a government organization
place A is paying 60k though i just joined the place and promised to increase the pay after 6 months probation while place B pays 31k monthly based on level present level

Aside this two places I also have a computer shop that I run though employed someone there to be managing the place while I take care of things behind the scene if I have the enough capital this place can fetch me multiple folds of what I am paid in place A and place B but no money to run the two together

The problem now is that I am not finding it convenient switching the places at the moment and won't like the two places discover of double salary

Place A is Monday to Saturday work from 7 - 6pm (pay is 60k presently)
While Place B is Three times a week and from 1pm till around 11pm (pay is 31k presently)

Now, which one should I leave for another one.

If I leave place B, I will have enough time for my office but the capital and expense

If I leave place A, I won't have time for my office and a somewhat little increase in capital

Also place B salary would be upgraded with the implementation of the minimum though place A is supposed to increase by December, 2019.

I am damn confused coz I don't want to regret my decision

Whereas I have my office also running

Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by Richdad50(m): 7:11am On Nov 21, 2019
shocked

Son, what you should aim for is an expansion and a rise in your business. Place B may provide the best option for that realization depending. While place A puts something tangible in your pocket, it will eventually sap your energy for self reliance and actualization.

Don't forget too quickly that if place A is relative to your business and provides an opportunity to gain more insight and knowledge for your startup, for example, working in an IT firm while you own or wish to start an IT busines, it will be wise to remain in Place A as you gain more experience, insight, and confidence neccessary for your burst.

Place B is where dreams die and talents rust. Don't go there if you are a dreamer. Your creativity and imaginations will fade like a cloudy afternoon. A man confident of his gifting is never afraid of 'Job Security'. It is only the feeble and the less confident that hold on to Job security.

Richdad

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by Nobody: 7:11am On Nov 21, 2019
Isn't it dishonest to have more than one permanent full-time jobs, while your employers dont know?

Anyway, here is my advise- Keep them all.
Don't leave any because from your narrative, neither is paying enough. But in the event that you can't cope further, stay with B, while you develop your side business.

Also, for high scores in IELTS, get a competent private Tutor from EditusNG.
editus dot ng at gmail dot com.

1 Like

Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by khalazi: 7:11am On Nov 21, 2019
Nothing Like Job security. wink
You’ll eat and drink with rest of Mind grin

9 Likes

Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by OlujobaSamuel: 7:12am On Nov 21, 2019
Hmmmmmmm, I bet you be one of those that scream corruption ooo, oya tell us your own definition of corruption.
I know you go be one of those civil servants that frustrate people when they come to your office for any dealings because you no go wan kill yourself, maybe if you lose both, we can then discuss how you should select a better option in future.
To you all wey go e-stone me, I no get una time to respond. Good morning to you all.

8 Likes

Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by Fammoboy10(m): 7:12am On Nov 21, 2019
Go for place B...

Don't bother to think it twice.
Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by Maxxim: 7:12am On Nov 21, 2019
You can dash me place B
Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by HOLYDICK(m): 7:12am On Nov 21, 2019
Ask your self this.

1. Which of the job do u have passion for?
2. Which has a long term benefit?
3. Which one would yield futuristic tangible dividends

Answer this ur self and u will know what to do.

Lemme sip my bitters dis early momo Nd go bak to sleep again

3 Likes

Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by ForeThinker: 7:12am On Nov 21, 2019
Job security..
Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by SetrakusRa(m): 7:12am On Nov 21, 2019
lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by drtwist(m): 7:12am On Nov 21, 2019
I advise you wait till both side increase their pay before making a conclusion. I always respect government work because of the freedom in doing other things

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by aimsbaba(m): 7:12am On Nov 21, 2019
What I just see there is that work B is more secured than work A. You can be fired at anytime in work A.
Just manage anyone that comes your way bro

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by Gomd: 7:12am On Nov 21, 2019
Just pray to God not to make you regret any decision you make .

1 Like

Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by Damidave1124(m): 7:13am On Nov 21, 2019
From my inexperience self, I would advice you to take place B, leave place A and face your computer business.

With time, your salary will be increased in the government work, when you retire, you're entitled to pension till you die.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by aminusodiq(m): 7:13am On Nov 21, 2019
go to d public sector.... it's more secured ND d minimum wage wil soon b approved... plus u av more time to run ur private business!!! leave place A for we wey still dey find job na

3 Likes

Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by idu1(m): 7:13am On Nov 21, 2019
I don't know what to say bro
Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by Gbemini(m): 7:14am On Nov 21, 2019
Go for b or u forget about your business,but calculate ur gain in the business if its more than 40k per month then go for B....

1 Like

Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by owenwin: 7:14am On Nov 21, 2019

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by Taeewo(m): 7:14am On Nov 21, 2019
Which company is Place A and Place B,i applied for an accountant at Place A LTD some weeks ago but wasn't successful.
Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by avalontony(m): 7:14am On Nov 21, 2019
Small money headache.............

Take it to God in prayer.

Build your business bro.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by bigpicture001: 7:15am On Nov 21, 2019
Ghost worjer spotted!

1 Like

Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by ayoadekunle79(m): 7:16am On Nov 21, 2019
you already know the answer. everyone want independent.
Go for B it will be convinent you for since you have side hustle just save more and invest on it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by frozen70(f): 7:16am On Nov 21, 2019
abiodun005ng:
I work in two places, Place A and place B
place A is a private work while place B is a government organization
place A is paying 60k though i just joined the place and promised to increase the pay after 6 months probation while place B pays 31k monthly based on level present level

Aside this two places I also have a computer shop that I run though employed someone there to be managing the place while I take care of things behind the scene if I have the enough capital this place can fetch me multiple folds of what I am paid in place A and place B but no money to run the two together

The problem now is that I am not finding it convenient switching the places at the moment and won't like the two places discover of double salary

Place A is Monday to Saturday work from 7 - 6pm (pay is 60k presently)
While Place B is Three times a week and from 1pm till around 11pm (pay is 31k presently)

Now, which one should I leave for another one.

If I leave place B, I will have enough time for my office but the capital and expense

If I leave place A, I won't have time for my office and a somewhat little increase in capital

Also place B salary would be upgraded with the implementation of the minimum though place A is supposed to increase by December, 2019.

I am damn confused coz I don't want to regret my decision

Whereas I have my office also running

Continue both until minimum wage is fully implemented then you know which to chose from

Also consider job security in Amy one you may want to choose

1 Like

Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by Asquare84(m): 7:17am On Nov 21, 2019
Please go for the government job no matter how the private increase the salary they will not multiply the 60 k
Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by olaposer(m): 7:18am On Nov 21, 2019
You can just concentrate on place b according to the explanation you give and watch things to get better for you,it will give you more time to yourself and more so running 3 places at a time will not give you chance to be more composed, and how do you get time to plan and rest?but you are in best position to make the final decision ,wishing you all the best.
Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by kayzat: 7:18am On Nov 21, 2019
I will advise you to move to the public sector . Since it is a government work your job is secured and you will have all the time to run your business properly.

You will definitely earn more than the money you earn from place A by the time you dedicate more time to your private business

1 Like

Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by drkay(m): 7:18am On Nov 21, 2019
Let go of A and Stick to B. Join cooperative society to raise fund for ur personal business and and push the income higher by paying more attention than before. Good luck

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by Truflame: 7:20am On Nov 21, 2019
Go for place B. Employ someone to manage place A in your absence. You don't need to be physically present in a work place for the job to run smoothly. All you need is someone who's accountable.

Buy your freshly harvested sesame seed/beniseed from us.

Zero Eight Zero Six Nine Four Eight Four Two Nine Two
Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by Thegoodone13(m): 7:20am On Nov 21, 2019
You are a ghost worker. EFCC are looking for u. grin . Take b and increase your capital for side business. Job security is very important. I was once in your shoe. I earned 50k in private company in 2005 and government job was 43k. My Daddy said I should go for government job which I didn't regret.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by Unrated900(m): 7:20am On Nov 21, 2019
Sincere advice here

Place A,been it a private organizations pays you 60k

Place B government pays 31k

Place A could sack u anytime been it a private org

Place B can never sack you

Place A might not increase your salary after 6 months as said

They can lay you off anytime if they got a lower qualification that they can pay 40k...

My brother place B will place you on pension after years of years.

My sincere advise face your computer stuffs

And take place B...

And your future will be secure

Also in place B you might decide not to go to work any day with excuse while place A will never tolerate..

You close by place A by 8 at times while place B you closed there on or before 4pm

Please wit my illustration I hope I have convinced you and not confused you..

Now use your head.

7 Likes

Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by money121(m): 7:26am On Nov 21, 2019
Ok
Re: Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? by 24kmagic: 7:28am On Nov 21, 2019
Yes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Is More Important, The Course You Studied Or The Result You Came Out With? / Exxon Mobil Headquarters Shut Down / 6 Ways To Secure Your Current Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.