Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,270 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:10 AM

Goin For Masters In Uk Or Staying Back In Nigeria With An 80k Job. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Goin For Masters In Uk Or Staying Back In Nigeria With An 80k Job. (3205 Views)

I Want To Leave My Job For Masters / Going For Msc In USA Vs Staying Back For A Contract Position / Coventry Vs Staying Back In Naija (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Goin For Masters In Uk Or Staying Back In Nigeria With An 80k Job. by dremoney(m): 10:05am On May 24, 2007
guys,
whadayathink?is it worth it to further in uk where u will have to live with a part time job during studies n probably after or rather stay back home n kip d 80k job @ hand.
Re: Goin For Masters In Uk Or Staying Back In Nigeria With An 80k Job. by iyken(m): 1:45pm On May 24, 2007
There are lot of indices to consider b4 taking a decision on go or no go.
[list]
[li][/li]What course are you going for.
[li][/li]What prospects/ carreer development does your current job offer you.
[/list]
Generally, going by the trend in the job market,one stands a higher chance of getting that dream job with the Foreign Certificate.
However, there must be a balance.

Good luck.
Re: Goin For Masters In Uk Or Staying Back In Nigeria With An 80k Job. by dremoney(m): 4:07pm On May 24, 2007
tnks man.

more contributions please.
Re: Goin For Masters In Uk Or Staying Back In Nigeria With An 80k Job. by mansa(f): 8:37am On May 25, 2007
hmmmm,
d job he has at hand is ok considering the amount he earns.
prospects 2 shuld be ok i assume but not as rapid as wuld have bn wit a foreign cert.
I think he was in social sciences in school.
Got an admission to study information technology in uk now.

he actually approached me n i told him to further(i.e has to forego d latter for d former whcih is preferable n more secured whichever way it goes).
Re: Goin For Masters In Uk Or Staying Back In Nigeria With An 80k Job. by dremoney(m): 10:43am On May 25, 2007
sory peep,

mansa's my friend.
signed in usin her id.
Re: Goin For Masters In Uk Or Staying Back In Nigeria With An 80k Job. by DisGuy: 7:28pm On May 25, 2007
How fast can you move up the career ladder where you work now?

Can you comfortably pay for your up keep in the UK without a part-job during your studies?

what sector do you want to work in when you get back?
Re: Goin For Masters In Uk Or Staying Back In Nigeria With An 80k Job. by Bulga(m): 10:20am On May 26, 2007
The 419 post I responded to is no longer here, it seems Seun has deleted it.

@ Dollarwise,
Your story sounds too good to be true and we all know that the fear of 419 is the beginning of wisdom. I am sure Nairalanders would like to confirm the genuineness of your operation from the appropriate authorties like EFCC and others before dealing with you. Please tell us who you are, the name of your firm, your contact details(Phone & address). If you are a travel agent, do you have the required licence/permit to operate?
Re: Goin For Masters In Uk Or Staying Back In Nigeria With An 80k Job. by tokchic(f): 11:46pm On Jun 09, 2007
i would say stay back with an 80k job and study parttime at your time with university like liverpool ,you will get an uk msc ,i'm only saying this because if you go to uk you'll need accomodations and living expenses ,this is skyhigh if you dont have enogh money and what gurantees you that you'll get a job as rewarding as this when you get back ,you'll save money if you dont go to uk and you'll be learning and earning as you go .i'm only saying ,you dont have to follow it but this is what i'll do if i was in your shoes.
good luck ,hope your decision turns in your favour wink
Re: Goin For Masters In Uk Or Staying Back In Nigeria With An 80k Job. by oIo(m): 1:33am On Jun 19, 2007
Y don't you try canada?
Re: Goin For Masters In Uk Or Staying Back In Nigeria With An 80k Job. by lucidang(m): 9:37pm On Oct 05, 2007
if you are an engineer, then forget that 80k job and go for your masters joh, if you are not then consider the online distance learning option,
Re: Goin For Masters In Uk Or Staying Back In Nigeria With An 80k Job. by cantiride2: 9:49am On Oct 06, 2007
hi,

Just to let you know,are u planning to pay your masters fees yourself.becos the united kingdom is a very expensive country and dont forget it is not that easy to get a part time job just like that.Becos u 1st need to get something they call a national insurance number and that takes about 1.5months before u get it before you start looking for a job thta they pay you about 6pounds and hour and dont forget that as a student you are only allowed to work 20hrs per week and you will get taxed as well.I will advise you to save up 1st before you go for the masters.
Re: Goin For Masters In Uk Or Staying Back In Nigeria With An 80k Job. by Goldmann(m): 12:53am On Oct 08, 2007
80K pere!!!! That My friend is not enough motivation to stay in this country! Abeg go do your masters, Jst make sure u do it in a good school and in a relevant course if u intend 2 come bak, Know a dude who earns 700 grand a month @ 26yrs in lag, so trust me 80grand should not b enough 2 keep u here because provided u go to a GOOD school, ure almost CERTAIN to get a much better deal when u return, And who knows u may even get a GOOD JOB there, I know of a company in the U.K that pays as much as GBP 37,000 with POTENTIALLY (If u shine well well) up to 100% in bonuses, And dont even say its impossible to get in cos I hav a cousin who works there now, Got a first degree here and did his Msc in a top school over there, So trust me, Start thinkin BIG!, 80k should not satisfy u at all,
Re: Goin For Masters In Uk Or Staying Back In Nigeria With An 80k Job. by Bblak(f): 12:03pm On Oct 08, 2007
Go for your masters bro.
Re: Goin For Masters In Uk Or Staying Back In Nigeria With An 80k Job. by manoy(m): 12:54pm On Oct 08, 2007
come and join the league ok
Re: Goin For Masters In Uk Or Staying Back In Nigeria With An 80k Job. by Prince11(m): 11:01pm On Oct 11, 2007
I will recommend that you do the Masters but with your eyes open grin, !! You can stay back legitimately after for 1year to work and recoup your money,
Have you thought of applying for HSMP, I certainly will not rely on 80K in Naija with an opportunity to study in a fairly decent school in the UK, What have you really got to loose!!!
Re: Goin For Masters In Uk Or Staying Back In Nigeria With An 80k Job. by Cory(f): 8:12am On Jul 15, 2011
HMMMMMH, thats all i can say. Sometyms advice could be so much that u end up being confused. Some people are saying go, some are saying stay back. My points are these coz i happen to be in almost the same situation
1. What is the assurance of something better than the 80k, coz the jobs are few now.
2. Experience is equally very important but, as in my own case, the job is purely administartive and monotonous, and has little prospect though the pay is okay. Im interested in building a career in my own case, Do i go for the masters and then tow a career line? Im doing a career swith from the computer sciences to International banking/securities.
Re: Goin For Masters In Uk Or Staying Back In Nigeria With An 80k Job. by jackpot(f): 3:38pm On Jul 15, 2011
Will the company give you study leave? Or do you have to resign or leave without pay? Why i am asking is that the situation in the Nigerian job search market now isn't funny
Re: Goin For Masters In Uk Or Staying Back In Nigeria With An 80k Job. by gunpoint(m): 6:41pm On Jul 16, 2011
Bros no tinkin required, 80k won't take you home, quit and go for ya msc! Finito
Re: Goin For Masters In Uk Or Staying Back In Nigeria With An 80k Job. by dip0: 10:54pm On Jul 26, 2011
I am applying for MSc Telecommunications Middesex University. I have a BSc in Computer Science.
How well is telecommunications as a course handled in the UK.

And i really feeling averse to go to the UK as I read so many unfavorable stuff about living there though, it is only in the UK I can get admission for this september The time is one thing that make me wanna go on with my UK MSc application
Re: Goin For Masters In Uk Or Staying Back In Nigeria With An 80k Job. by DisGuy: 11:59pm On Jul 26, 2011
dip0:

I am applying for MSc Telecommunications Middesex University. I have a BSc in Computer Science.

And i really feeling averse to go to the UK as I read so many unfavorable stuff about living there though, it is only in the UK I can get admission for this september The time is one thing that make me wanna go on with my UK MSc application

Telecommunication course in the UK is brilliant in my opinion,
2, As long as you have enough money and you are not looking to work during or after your course; you really have nothing to worry about. i.e you main goal is to be a student
Re: Goin For Masters In Uk Or Staying Back In Nigeria With An 80k Job. by yoxy: 11:07am On Jul 30, 2011
@ dremoney,
The first thing to consider is your career path and goal, if you are sure your present job fits into your career plan, then stay put for now but if not you could consider a masters abroad to put you back on track to achieving the goal.
As regards living in UK, I tell you, its pretty expensive but its possible with sacrifices here and there, I will advise you provide for your fees and over 50% living costs before leaving the shores of Nigeria. Also, don't be too dependent on part time jobs at the early stage of your masters cos they may not materialize early.

Please do consider these options before taking a position. Just an advice.

you could reach me on yoxy01@yahoo.com for any help as regards this.
Re: Goin For Masters In Uk Or Staying Back In Nigeria With An 80k Job. by AjanleKoko: 10:12pm On Jul 30, 2011
dip0:

Msc Telecommunications? What is that all about?
Sounds like the 'very generic' Msc in Information technology, that is meant to be a crossover for non-IT bachelor graduates.

If you had said Msc in telecom engineering, I'd say good choice. Though these days, I am wondering if there's a point to studying those degrees if you are planning to come back to Nigeria and work. They're not really relevant.
Re: Goin For Masters In Uk Or Staying Back In Nigeria With An 80k Job. by mbulela: 1:49am On Jul 31, 2011
dip0:

what kind of job do you do now?
i hope this will not give you any advantage in the telcom industry here when you return?
do you have your fees and accommodation (not forgetting living expenses) sorted?
IMHO, this does not look like a good option.
Re: Goin For Masters In Uk Or Staying Back In Nigeria With An 80k Job. by bishopjoe02(m): 8:53am On Feb 21, 2013
dip0: I am applying for MSc Telecommunications Middesex University. I have a BSc in Computer Science.

bros.. i nid the sch and visa requirement to do am msc in middesex

(1) (Reply)

Mass Movement Of Skilled Professionals From Vetiva Capital To Renaissance Capita / CIS Professional Exams 2016 / Should I Go For A Bsc Or PGD After HND

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.