Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,752 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:17 PM

Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive (15610 Views)

More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive / 7 SIM Cards Can Be Linked To One NIN - Pantami / Isa Ali-Pantami Extends Deadline On Reduction Of Data Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive by money121(m): 7:28am On Nov 21, 2019
Lobatan
Re: Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive by Germi9: 7:30am On Nov 21, 2019
What do you expect when Ministerial appointment are been given anyhow.He probably does not understand the rules and codes of the communication sector,hence he was busy giving audio directives without proper checks .. he's an empty head that is over hyper.
Re: Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive by hisgrace090: 7:31am On Nov 21, 2019
Ncc are partners in the loot sharing and cannot move against themselves.
Re: Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive by FemiMaduka(m): 7:38am On Nov 21, 2019
I never bought into the 'directives-spewing' Pantami. Directives ALONE do not work that space; it has to be a mix of incentives and enabling environment [infrastructure, power, raise in standard of living of consumers, good roads, burgeoning local manufacturing etc.], and then strict supervision [directives and queries].

We shouldn't just seek to make sentimental appearances on TV and say what the populace wants to hear—data and voicecall price cuts. The TELCOs also have a business to run. If they adhered to all the directives that a lazy and sleepy government like ours would like to give, they'd soon be out of business themselves.

Back them the heck up, then wield your hammer!

2 Likes

Re: Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive by Nobody: 7:39am On Nov 21, 2019

A source in NCC said the minister’s directive had not been complied with because it will amount to breaching the law.

According to the source, there are procedures laid down in the law establishing the NCC, adding that doing anything contrary to that will amount to illegality.

The Chairman of the Association of Licensed Telecoms Operators of Nigeria (ALTON), Gbenga Adebayo, said the telcos have not received any directive from the NCC.

The NCC source said there are processes and procedures that have to be followed as a matter of law before data cost can be tampered with.

Another source explained that the NCC has no power under Section 108-110 of the Nigerian Communications Act 2003 to prescribe retail price.

The source said: “The law does not give the NCC that power. What the law allows the Commission to do is to ensure that tariffs reflect costs of providing services. That is why NCC is mandated to carry out cost-based studies from time to time and as may be deemed fit to fix prices for floors and for ceilings. That way, no operator can under-price to kill its competitors,” the source explained.

Adebayo said the telcos do not make any illegal deduction as being alleged, adding that smartphone users should monitor the applications that run on their devices.

According to him, the smartphones being used by the subscribers were to blame for such deductions.

The ALTON chief said pricing is not a policy matter but strictly determined by market forces, including cost of operation.

when i told all the data communists [see what they have turned an outspoken liberal to] that the man was playing to the gallery , they all cussed me out.
you cannot force a private business entity to drop its rates. competition is what will force that. the only thing you can hook them on is quality of service and maybe issues like selling customer data

2 Likes

Re: Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive by nwabuwa: 7:39am On Nov 21, 2019
BREAKING NEWS: *Data price crashes* If you have been buying data bundle with codes prior to this time, take note that data rates has been reset forthwith, so you don’t have to continue using your previous subscription codes to avoid status quo billing.

A big appreciation to our new Communication Minister & Digital Economy, Dr Isa Ali Ibrahim Pantami for rescuing Nigerians from the hands of the service providers who has been milking Nigerians dry over the years.

4GB is now #1000
2GB is now #500

To check for MTN, dial
*131*65#

Other service providers will follow suit.

1 Like

Re: Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive by blackjackson284(m): 7:40am On Nov 21, 2019
Is high time we all realize that a group of people are NOT sitting down or having a meeting about how to change things in this country......NON
This are guys are like us, they come here read and laugh..... and move on like must of us do.
The country is in (auto- pilot) guys!
Re: Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive by 24kmagic: 7:43am On Nov 21, 2019
Even if other networks no gri reduce their data price, Etisalat suppose reduce their own.

Those guys na thieves.
Re: Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive by Gabbyosun: 7:46am On Nov 21, 2019
Guys mtn just reduced their data cost
Just dial *131*65#
#100: 250 mb for 3 days
#200: 1gb for 1 week
#500: biweekly plan for 2gb
#1000: 4gb for 1 month

NOTE: this not welcome back offer

1 Like

Re: Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive by here4u: 7:50am On Nov 21, 2019
I knew this was crap

Check my signature below for more details.
Re: Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive by Lazerone(f): 7:56am On Nov 21, 2019
Knew this was so good to be true

Abeg, check out the forgotten wonder of the world, a monastery of three religions - Buddhism, Taoism and Confucianism ; hanging off a cliff in China.
http://prodesigners.com.ng/ancient-hanging-monastery-in-china-still-stands-till-date/
Re: Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive by MicroBox: 8:03am On Nov 21, 2019
Use Xmanager to utilize your data consumption and optimise your RAM space always...

Goto App Stop:- to stop underground apps from running time to time.

Goto to disable app:- to disable all apps that you are not using or won't be using for now.

Notification:- goto notification to control popups and notification.

It works very very great....

Re: Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive by sleek214(m): 8:07am On Nov 21, 2019
Data is really expensive in Nigeria, just entered Warsaw for a 2 weeks vacation. I got an orange sim for 20zl(N2,000) 50GB of data came with the sim, during sim registration, they only asked for my intl passport, less than a minute I waa go to go.
Re: Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive by TemmyT002(m): 8:21am On Nov 21, 2019
Are they okay?
Let's sue them
Leave only GLO alone. Na only them be nice network
Re: Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive by idsamoo(m): 8:21am On Nov 21, 2019
What measures has the government put in place to help in the smooth running of their businesses too, they take taxes from them all yet they will still have to fuel the generators in their stations and offices because no supply . The government is useless to all citizens except fellow politcians and relations .Data price reduction is not our problem in this country, in fact, the price of data is okay for now because so many Nigerians are abusing the use of internet , there is no point crying for the price of data for now ,we should be talking about things like breaking of monopoly of multchoice in pay-TV world in Nigeria ,reduction in allowances of politicians (so-called senators), putting end to slavery of Nigerians at different companies all in the names of contract workers etc,..
Re: Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive by Nobody: 8:30am On Nov 21, 2019
#i foresaw it!...

The shithole is on a free fall!
Re: Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive by Wallade(m): 8:31am On Nov 21, 2019
Some comments on this thread indicated that you guys assume the Minister who gave the directive is not informed and conversant with the telecommunications industry to the extent that he can authoritatively conclude that data rates and cost in Nigeria is too high.

You all have less information in that field compared to him. If NCC truly gave that excuse stated above, that indicates that NCC has been perverted by telecommunications service providers.

Anyway, the market leader - MTN - just responded to the demand of the minister. To all the "doubting Thomas" and pessimists, try to dial *131*65# and confirm. Others are expected to follow suit, GLO should not come and throw cheap data via poor network ohhhhh. Abeg, what is the sense in having 200G data that I can hardly use despite moving around the whole space, even in my room, looking for network.

Thank you Minister.
Re: Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive by majamajic(m): 8:44am On Nov 21, 2019
EastGold:
Audio directives
but it's like mtn has done something
Re: Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive by witworth(m): 8:44am On Nov 21, 2019
When even DSS can shun court order, why won't minister of communication directive be ignored.

1 Like

Re: Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive by kayuseful: 9:20am On Nov 21, 2019
FemiMaduka:
I never bought into the 'directives-spewing' Pantami. Directives ALONE do not work that space; it has to be a mix of incentives and enabling environment [infrastructure, power, raise in standard of living of consumers, good roads, burgeoning local manufacturing etc.], and then strict supervision [directives and queries].

We shouldn't just seek to make sentimental appearances on TV and say what the populace wants to hear—data and voicecall price cuts. The TELCOs also have a business to run. If they adhered to all the directives that a lazy and sleepy government like ours would like to give, they'd soon be out of business themselves.

Back them the heck up, then wield your hammer!

One of the few sensible comments I've read on this matter
Re: Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive by Lymasaba(m): 9:22am On Nov 21, 2019
OlujobaSamuel:
The NCC should remove floor pricing then, set only ceiling, I believe with no service provider can have enough resources to underpriced to beat out others and still remains in business due to subscriber base and population
Do u think glo will survive..
Re: Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive by kayuseful: 9:22am On Nov 21, 2019
Wallade:
Some comments on this thread indicated that you guys assume the Minister who gave the directive is not informed and conversant with the telecommunications industry to the extent that he can authoritatively conclude that data rates and cost in Nigeria is too high.

You all have less information in that field compared to him. If NCC truly gave that excuse stated above, that indicates that NCC has been perverted by telecommunications service providers.

Anyway, the market leader - MTN - just responded to the demand of the minister. To all the "doubting Thomas" and pessimists, try to dial *131*65# and confirm. Others are expected to follow suit, GLO should not come and throw cheap data via poor network ohhhhh. Abeg, what is the sense in having 200G data that I can hardly use despite moving around the whole space, even in my room, looking for network.

Thank you Minister.

Truth is, it's the same ministry of communication that put a floor on the price of data thereby making data expensive.. Not this man though, it's the former minister
Re: Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive by Lymasaba(m): 9:25am On Nov 21, 2019
Wallade:

Thank you Minister.
Another MTN agent
Re: Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive by OlujobaSamuel: 9:35am On Nov 21, 2019
Lymasaba:

Do u think glo will survive..
I don't understand, do you mean as at when it entered the market or now?
If at entry, I doubt we have a floor or ceiling price system then as everyone was setting price for maximum profit, if now, Glo seems to be the cheapest, so I don't think they can pack off by crashing down their price if their cost permits.
Also, if it's about bullying from others like MTN, MTN will incur loss that might put them in serious financial crisis as they have to underpriced for millions of subscribers which is runs into billions
Re: Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive by Wallade(m): 10:00am On Nov 21, 2019
Lymasaba:

Another MTN agent

It is only uninformed customers and stakeholders that doesn't know MTN is the market leader in the Nigerian Telecommunications Industry.
Re: Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive by Wallade(m): 10:06am On Nov 21, 2019
kayuseful:

Truth is, it's the same ministry of communication that put a floor on the price of data thereby making data expensive.. Not this man though, it's the former minister

I must admit that introducing a floor price by the Ministry of Communications was not a wise administrative decision.

However, this minister seems to have started well. I wanna see the end of his tenure and evaluate his contribution as a whole.

1 Like

Re: Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive by Jaqenhghar: 10:50am On Nov 21, 2019
Only in Nigger shithole country. The most basic things are a luxury. Internet, electricity, water, even things like eating chicken is something to brag about. Niggers snap selfie about it and post on social media. SMH
Re: Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive by Paulousi: 10:57am On Nov 21, 2019
Re: Telcom Firms Shun Isa Pantami’s Data Cut Directive by funso77(m): 11:22am On Nov 21, 2019
Directives given here and there in this country. Abandoned projects, un/under supervised execution of processes, procedures and systems. Even the President's directive was ignored and not implemented. I believe a way forward if we can at least try is to start instituting/establishing task-forces to check these slowly and destructive menace plaguing the nation. It is considered nothing serious for now but wait till it continues and keeps spreading, a paradigm synonymous with the Nigerian society. 'A stitch in time saves nine'.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

MTN Wants To Drive Nigerian Smes Out Of Airtime, Data Business SPONSORED POST / Airtel Promo In Nigeria / How Do I Download Whatsapp On My Samsung E2222. Can Someone Give Me The Clue.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.