Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,365 members, 7,957,982 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 06:40 AM

Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 (16871 Views)

Student Was Bullied For Putting Same Clothes, His Classmates Contributed Money / Top 20 Scholarships For Nigerian Students In 2018. / Top 5 Courses That You May Regret Picking In 2018 Jamb (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by agbajor27: 10:58am On Nov 21, 2019
Zooposki:

Yeah, you are right. But in the interim, maybe make the Federal Universities expensive and the state universities cheap for the indigenes and cutthroat for out of states students.
almost all state unis in nigeria are terribly low standard. Now, remember dat most of the promising students in nigeria are from poor backgrounds; putting d federal unis out of dia reach would be further underutilising diz potentials whic is very detrimental to both the students and the country as a whole. Unless a very extensive and transparent scholarship scheme is put in place. bt wat can be truly transparent in nigeria?
Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by KenMosi: 11:02am On Nov 21, 2019
4 bedroom bungalow mansion for SALE in 33 ONITSHA

Asking price is 16 million naira
Call/chat owner on whatsapp via 09032290584 to get more details and pictures of the house.

The house is a 4 bedroom extra large bungalow, it has a small sitting room and a big sitting room, all the rooms has toilet/bathroom, it has a standard kitchen with store, the sitting room has a toilet, the compound has 3 standard dog cages and a parking store and generator house with an overhead tank.
Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by darkelf: 11:35am On Nov 21, 2019
diegwu02:
The existing Federal Universities should be Privatized.
We cant have Students paying a paltry $55.21 (N20,000) for a full year and expect our schools to be like Yale or Harvard. We re kidding ourselves.
Subsidized Tuition for British Citizen in UK colleges still cost up to E10,000 pounds.

Why are you guys this wicked?

Those Scandinavian countries giving their citizens free quality education, do their leaders have two heads?

How many civil servants can afford $10,000 per year? How many of them make up to that?

Do you want patents to steal to send kids to school? So that you will be the same person criticizing them for corruption?

Make una dey use una head abeg.
Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by Mikeiron78(m): 12:32pm On Nov 21, 2019
And they got nothing in return, right?
Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by KenMosi: 12:32pm On Nov 21, 2019
4 bedroom bungalow mansion for SALE in ONITSHA.Asking price is 16 million naira, call/chat with the owner on whatsapp via 09032290584 to get more details and pictures of the house.

The house is a 4 mansion bungalow, it has 2 sitting rooms, all the bedrooms has toilet/bathroom, it has a big kitchen with store, the bigger sitting room has a toilet, the compound has 3 block dog cages and a parking store and generator house with an overhead tank.
Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by lukui: 12:35pm On Nov 21, 2019
why are you using panadol for my headache?
Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by Digitalcreator(m): 12:59pm On Nov 21, 2019
My question is all the books Nigerian students Have been studying in US bagging degree and all what are they using it for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!!! Ahhhhhh
God why wasnt i born in china or Ghana..
Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by Forward77(m): 1:12pm On Nov 21, 2019
Digitalcreator:
My question is all the books Nigerian students Have been studying in US bagging degree and all what are they using it for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!!! Ahhhhhh

Chai my brother!

Of all the places in the world, you chose Ghana.

I cry for Nigeria my country!

I’m blessed to be a Nigerian and I’m proud of it any day.
The green and white blood run in my veins.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by BlackBovi: 1:45pm On Nov 21, 2019
sainam:

At least 13,423 Nigerian students currently studying in the U.S. contributed 514 million dollars to the U.S. economy in 2018, according to official data.

The data is contained in the 2019 Open Doors Report on International Educational Exchange released by the Institute of International Education (IIE) and the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.
The report indicates that Nigeria is the 11th leading place of origin for foreign students in the U.S. as of the 2018/2019 session.

It accounts for 1.2 per cent of the total number of 1,095,299 international students in the country.

A breakdown of the figure shows that 5,689 of the Nigerian students are at the undergraduate level, 5,274 at the graduate level, 367 at the non-degree students, and 2,093 on Optional Practical Training (OPT).

According to Wikipedia, OPT is a period during which undergraduate and graduate students work for one year on a student visa toward acquiring practical training to complement their education.

News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Nigeria is the only African country in the top 20 places of origin for international students in the U.S.

China holds the top position with 369,548 students, followed by India with 202,014, South Korea (52,250), Saudi Arabia (37,080), and Canada rounding out the top five with 26,122 students.

According to the report, international students account for 5.5 per cent of the total U.S. higher education population.

Citing data from the U.S. Department of Commerce, the report said that foreign students contributed 44.7 billion dollars to the U.S. economy in 2018, an increase of 5.5 per cent from the previous year.

Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) are the top choices of international students with 52 per cent of the total studying in those fields, according to the report.

The report shows that out of 341,751 U.S. citizens studying abroad in 2017/18, Nigeria hosted 34 making it the 130th destination for American students.

The UK, Italy, Spain, France, Germany, Ireland, China, Australia, Costa Rica, and Japan were the top 10 study destinations for American citizens, hosting an average of 18,000 students each.

South Africa occupies the 11th position on the table as host to 6,001 American students in 2017/18.

“We are happy to see the continued growth in the number of international students in the United States and U.S. students studying abroad,” said Marie Royce, Assistant Secretary of State for Educational and Cultural Affairs.

Speaking at the launch of the report in Washington, Royce said that promoting the mobility of international students remained a top priority for the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.

“We want even more students in the future to see the U.S. as the best destination to earn their degrees.

“International exchange makes our colleges and universities more dynamic for all students.

“Education at a U.S. institution can have a transformative effect for international students, just like study abroad experiences can for U.S. students,” she said.
https://www.pulse.ng/news/local/nigerian-students-contributed-dollar514m-to-us-economy-in-2018-report/c7b3dz7.amp
Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by Mikeparlo12(m): 1:50pm On Nov 21, 2019
I am part of them l. Paid $42k
Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by Reussite: 2:35pm On Nov 21, 2019
sainam:

The report shows that out of 341,751 U.S. citizens studying abroad in 2017/18, Nigeria hosted 34 making it the 130th destination for American students.

The UK, Italy, Spain, France, Germany, Ireland, China, Australia, Costa Rica, and Japan were the top 10 study destinations for American citizens, hosting an average of 18,000 students each.

South Africa occupies the 11th position on the table as host to 6,001 American students in 2017/18.
SA is 11th choice destination for American students studying outside compared to Nigeria on the 130th position. undecided
Please SA & NGR are not mates. SA are the real African giants. Truth be told. sad

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by FrustratedSoul: 3:19pm On Nov 21, 2019
realstars:
From the figure above, Nigeria is the only African country with the wide spread of student in the white country.

Now back home, calculate the total number of prominent politicians, then calculate the number of their children each, then you will know why our home base educational institutions are not working. FrustratedSoul

No Wander politicians are using home school guys, as their foot men during election period.
This is the way we see it since 1960.
So those that has gone to learn should comeback and stabilise the home system of education
Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 4:03pm On Nov 21, 2019
sainam:

https://www.pulse.ng/news/local/nigerian-students-contributed-dollar514m-to-us-economy-in-2018-report/c7b3dz7.amp
This is extremely poor for the United States of America. Ghana is raking in more than a billion US dollar per year for Nigerian students. South Africa is raking in more than 600 million u.s. dollar a Year from Nigeria student. So what is going on with Nigerian students in America don't they have money.
Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 4:08pm On Nov 21, 2019
Digitalcreator:

Let me tell you this white people are just taking Nigerians money and giving them certificate but does Nigerians know nothing when they get to the employment area. Look at Timothy stamps the former educational minister of UK under Margaret Thatcher he confessed that Britain was taking money from African students and letting them do courses in a very short time to give them certificate so that they go back to their country. It's all about the money in UK and America Nigerians have the highest unemployment rate and in America it is nearly the same so this certificate don't really mean anything because when they go for job interview they cannot pass. Most of the Nigeria schooling here and not really into education they are more for green card
Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by Legendguru: 4:25pm On Nov 21, 2019
hmmm
Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by Digitalcreator(m): 4:27pm On Nov 21, 2019
Brova the matter weak me o
SUFFERInSMILIIN:

Let me tell you this white people are just taking Nigerians money and giving them certificate but does Nigerians know nothing when they get to the employment area. Look at Timothy stamps the former educational minister of UK under Margaret Thatcher he confessed that Britain was taking money from African students and letting them do courses in a very short time to give them certificate so that they go back to their country. It's all about the money in UK and America Nigerians have the highest unemployment rate and in America it is nearly the same so this certificate don't really mean anything because when they go for job interview they cannot pass. Most of the Nigeria schooling here and not really into education they are more for green card
Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by Nobody: 5:50pm On Nov 21, 2019
agbajor27:

wages, social amenities and other social cushions should be at par with those countries first, before you talk of hiking tuition fees.
gbam! in nigerian schools many students still use candles and chinese rechargable laterns to read at night because of no light and the students are packed into small classrooms like sardines with some sitting on the window sill.let the Govt resolve this issues b4 the increase tuition.
Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by Nobody: 5:55pm On Nov 21, 2019
Sirvingeo:
Those 34 American citizens that left USA to school in Nigeria are they really normal ?
is it ur regular typical nigerian univ they schooled or a foreign operated univ in nigeria? cheesy
Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by Coldie(m): 5:58pm On Nov 21, 2019
SUFFERInSMILIIN:

This is extremely poor for the United States of America. Ghana is raking in more than a billion US dollar per year for Nigerian students. South Africa is raking in more than 600 million u.s. dollar a Year from Nigeria student. So what is going on with Nigerian students in America don't they have money.
How do u get your stats?

Who told u Ghana is making over $1billion from Nigerian students?
Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by Nobody: 5:59pm On Nov 21, 2019
spirul77:
I know we have up to 20,000 American citizens studying in Nigeria, about 1000 are in Ambrose Alli University, ekpoma.

I have a very strong headache....
which foreign student is in ambrose alli univ?? grin grin grin grin grin grin.Ekpoma that has bad roads with no electricity which foreign student can survive in there?? grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by Nobody: 7:06pm On Nov 21, 2019
lefulefu:
is it ur regular typical nigerian univ they schooled or a foreign operated univ in nigeria? cheesy
ok I understand now.
Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by Nobody: 7:55pm On Nov 21, 2019
Sirvingeo:

ok I understand now.
there are international schools situated in some cities in naija and they are mostly meant for the children of foreign diplomats.these schools are operated by foreign countries or nationals cheesy.though if u get money u are welcome to enroll oo but it is very expensive for the average nigerian.
Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by DexterousOne(m): 9:04pm On Nov 21, 2019
[quote author=Focusmind post=84227954]

It is not about removing JAMB and building more universities. It is about the Nigerian system and mentality. Our mentality, cultural orientation, behavior and value system are not in sync with the modern world thinking.

I for once will never allow my kids to near the gate of any Nigerian University. People go abroad to study to experience decency and orderliness why in school and not the kind of mentality and behavior we have in Nigeria.

Nigerians go abroad to treat typhoid and some topical diseases because of the appalling behavior of the medical system here. There has to be a radical shift in the ways we think and behave.[/quote

Truth

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by CodeTemplar: 1:19am On Nov 22, 2019
DonFreshmoney:
This is more than Nigeria education budget for 3 years combined....
You must realize though that Nigerian schools aren't accountable to their employers or anyone unlike American schools that are very accountable.

Here is a link for Harvard's own: https://www.nairaland.com/5412315/overview-harvards-funding-model
Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by CodeTemplar: 1:28am On Nov 22, 2019
Zooposki:

Exactly. Nigerians should strengthen her institutions to stop all the capital flight.
The man is trying to do some of that by introducting IPPIS to uni system. They just share money in the uni.
Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by CodeTemplar: 1:29am On Nov 22, 2019
naijadrivablog:
And the colonialism continues because former colonies can't govern themselves.
The black man is closer to animals when it comes to orderliness.
Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by CodeTemplar: 1:32am On Nov 22, 2019
osaggy:

Wrong mentality and approach. How many average Nigerians can afford money for private schools. All the money that have been invested in Nigeria...where has it ended?
After subsidizing the public ones, how many can match up the admission bribing racket or buy the many extortion oriented handouts? The money our public schools consumes too is big o.
Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by CodeTemplar: 1:36am On Nov 22, 2019
agbajor27:

wages, social amenities and other social cushions should be at par with those countries first, before you talk of hiking tuition fees.
Labour market is a open market and your idea of tying the wage of labour market to school fee is beggarly at best. Govt does not give birth to children, people do.
Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by diegwu02: 8:03am On Nov 22, 2019
darkelf:

Why are you guys this wicked?

Those Scandinavian countries giving their citizens free quality education, do their leaders have two heads?

How many civil servants can afford $10,000 per year? How many of them make up to that?

Do you want patents to steal to send kids to school? So that you will be the same person criticizing them for corruption?

Make una dey use una head abeg.
Mr Wise man, tell me any Scandinavian country that isnt completely developed, while you re it tell me how many of them have a population above 10million citizens. In your infinite wisdom you want a developing country of 200million citizens to offer her citizens free education because Sweden did. Your type are the ones quick to abuse your leaders for every shortcomings faced in our universities and scream blue murder when they try to address the situation. Everything should be at your terms because you pay $55 as fees for a session.
Get it in your head, Good and quality Education is for those that can afford it, and if you cant, there are many alternatives and fields of endeavor outside the universities
Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by agbajor27: 3:39pm On Nov 22, 2019
CodeTemplar:
Labour market is a open market and your idea of tying the wage of labour market to school fee is beggarly at best. Govt does not give birth to children, people do.
wat i mean is dat der are things to put in place first before copying the kinda fees students pay in doz countries. Like, for instance, do we have a proper student loan system in place in nigeria? Datz just one aspect o. The wage i am referring to der is minimum wage.
Re: Nigerian Students Contributed $514m To U.S. Economy In 2018 by CodeTemplar: 8:22am On Nov 23, 2019
agbajor27:

wat i mean is dat der are things to put in place first before copying the kinda fees students pay in doz countries. Like, for instance, do we have a proper student loan system in place in nigeria? Datz just one aspect o. The wage i am referring to der is minimum wage.
The federal govt can't subsidize each student to the tune of millions and still give loan. In a country where people like to accuse the govt of no jobs, they won't repay loans. That's as simple as ABC.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom Primary School Pupils Squeeze & Lie On The Floor To Write Exams (pics) / The Oke-ogun Polytechnic (saki) 2016/2017 Admission Processes / ASUU: Strike Continues Until FG Implements Offer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.