Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,955 members, 7,824,997 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 10:59 PM

What Inspires You To Write? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Inspires You To Write? (5698 Views)

The Love Of God - A Story That Inspires / How To Write A Movie Script. Help Needed!!! / Nnedi Okorafor To Write Black Panther For Marvel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Inspires You To Write? by Riele(f): 1:27pm On Nov 21, 2019
Litlanders , I've read lot of stories here that leaves me Wowed especially Larrysun .

I can't help but wonder your inspiration behind each stories you write .

So hey , here I am trying to find out .

What inspires you to write ?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Inspires You To Write? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Nov 21, 2019
Riele:
Litlanders , I've read lot of stories here that leaves me Wowed especially Larrysun .

Larrysun has exited nairaland... he now writes for his own blog

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Inspires You To Write? by Riele(f): 4:48pm On Nov 21, 2019
chenzen:

Too bad .

1 Like

Re: What Inspires You To Write? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Nov 21, 2019
Life. Living.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Inspires You To Write? by Riele(f): 5:11pm On Nov 21, 2019
tundeb303:
Life. Living.
Pls explain .
Re: What Inspires You To Write? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Nov 21, 2019
It basically starts of with the story.

I can't explain it but an idea comes to my head and I start to imagine it and it grows and forms and pushes me to write.

When I put pen to paper, it just flows naturally.

It's just creativity.

9 Likes

Re: What Inspires You To Write? by LarrySun(m): 5:22pm On Nov 21, 2019
chenzen:
Jesus! I didn't exit anywhere! angry

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Inspires You To Write? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Nov 21, 2019
LarrySun:
riele needs u badly... make sure u find her and plant an everlasting kiss on her cheekgrin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Inspires You To Write? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Nov 21, 2019
HannahHitler:

I can't explain it but an idea comes to my head and I start to imagine it and it grows and forms and pushes me to write.

It's just creativity.
u sure? or a story u read before keep replaying in your medulla oblangata

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Inspires You To Write? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Nov 21, 2019
I wonder what b0rn2fuck, deepfeel, bigcowhorn, ilegendd, ubunja and GOFRONT has to say about the topic on this thread.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Inspires You To Write? by LarrySun(m): 6:13pm On Nov 21, 2019
Riele:

I really can't tell, honestly. Stories just pop into my head and I write. But the more I write a story, the better the plots get. Also, I'm a fan of surprise endings; therefore, no matter what story I write, I try my best to infuse the surprise.

Perhaps I can say my inspiration is drawn from the fact that I want to prove to the world that Nigerians can also come up with great storylines.

I used to read a lot of novels while growing up. It got to a stage where I started feeling that I could write better stories than some of the novels I read. But I was scared of writing. I could only read, I didn't believe I could write. Indeed, I couldn't speak anything grammatically-accurate. At a time, I debated about the idea of writing in my local language, but hell, I suck at that too. Yet, the stories forming in my head couldn't leave me alone.

Ironically, I was the best English Language student in my class, but I couldn't speak the language perfectly. Funny but true. I didn't believe in myself. I saw writing a story as a very big deal. I didn't know I had to start from somewhere.

The ideas in my head eventually took over. I started with a very short story, an incomplete one. I showed it to some of my friends, but they didn't show interest in it because they weren't accustomed to reading stories. The story went without a single person reading it. But that first attempt helped me a lot. It helped me to start believing in myself. It inspired me to go push further. If I could write something like that, then I should be able to write something better.

I started my first novel in 2007 and ended it in 2010. It was my most fulfilling three years. Nobody knew I was writing a story. I would lock myself in my room and write. I finished it within the first year, of course, but I spent the remaining two years polishing and repolishing it, adding and subtracting ideas. When I was done. I locked it away in my shelf. No one knew about it. I told nobody.

In 2011, I had a girlfriend. Lol! She encouraged me further. I came out of my shell and told her I wrote a story. I think it just came out unexpectedly. She wasn't a novel-reader either, I had no reason to tell her. But it slipped out. As soon as I said it, she got interested. She begged me to read it to her. I was scared. A lot of things bothered me. She might be bored like my initial friends. The last thing I wanted to do was to shove what I had done down the throats of people who gave no damn. But she continued begging me to read it to her. I decided that I would give her the manuscript to read herself. I was sure that she would drop it after the first page like my other friends had done with my initial short story. Besides, I didn't have the best handwriting in the world.

She insisted that I read it to her. She wanted something romantic, hearing me read to her was her idea of a perfect romance. Perhaps she thought I wrote a romantic story. But what I wrote wasn't Romance, it was Detective Mystery. Surely, she would sleep off, or just ask me to shut up, please!

I started reading while she lay on my laps. Oh Lord! For hours, I was reading the story to her. She listened to me quietly. When I thought she had gone to sleep, she would ask me a few questions just to show that she was following. By the time I got to a few chapters, she was no longer laying her head on my laps, she was sitting and resting her head on my shoulder and watching my mouth. Lol! She was probably seeing the characters and actions from my speech. Halfway, she was totally enthralled. By the time I finished, she had cried and laughed and jumped with happiness. She confessed that it was the best story she had ever read. From the way she said it, I believed her.

That statement is what has been keeping me going till today. She believed in me when I didn't even believe in myself. Although I am not yet a complete writer, I still have a lot to learn; but I owe everything I am today to her because she is my first reader. We are separated but we are still very good friends.

After that, I started nursing the idea of typing the story. I couldn't afford to pay to get it typed, I would go anywhere I could find a free PC to type. To cut everything short, I discovered Nairaland shortly after typing it in 2012. There were a lot of like-minded people here posting their stories. I was initially scared that my story would be stolen if I posted it online. After much thoughts, I decided to give it a go.

Mehn! It was one of the best decisions I had made. Almost everyone who read it loved it. They all inspired me. It became such a sensational NL work that a lot of other people plagiarised it on their various platforms. Someone even publicly claim ownership to the work. Lol! To be honest, I never thought I would write any book after that one. I only wrote it to prove that I could write a better story than some of these bestselling writers. But the raves from Nairaland inspired me to write a sequel, which a lot of people told me was even crazier than the first book.

I apologise for this long epistle. Lol! I just want to tell you that anyone who desires to become a writer can be. There's nothing stopping you except you. You have to believe in yourself. If I can do it, then you can definitely do it. Forget about the fear of being mocked for errors. You will only get better. If you have that story in your head, WRITE IT! However, whichever, whenever!

Peace!

LSD smiley

69 Likes 7 Shares

Re: What Inspires You To Write? by Bigcowhorn: 6:28pm On Nov 21, 2019
chenzen:
I wonder what b0rn2fuck, deepfeel, bigcowhorn, ilegendd, ubunja and GOFRONT has to say about the topic on this thread.

1 Like

Re: What Inspires You To Write? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Nov 21, 2019
[quote author=Bigcowhorn post=84244293][/quote]lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Inspires You To Write? by Bigcowhorn: 6:35pm On Nov 21, 2019
chenzen:
lol.

You always quote me first before you go dig out your dirty picture why is that?
Re: What Inspires You To Write? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Nov 21, 2019
LarrySun:

I really can't tell, honestly. Stories just pop into my head and I write. But the more I write a story, the better the plots get. Also, I'm a fan of surprise endings; therefore, no matter what story I write, I try my best to infuse the surprise.

Perhaps I can say my inspiration is drawn from the fact that I want to prove to the world that Nigerians can also come up with great storylines.

I used to read a lot of novels while growing up. It got to a stage where I started feeling that I could write better stories than some of the novels I read. But I was scared of writing. I could only read, I didn't believe I could write. Indeed, I couldn't speak anything grammatically-accurate. At a time, I debated about the idea of writing in my local language, but hell, I suck at that too. Yet, the stories forming in my head couldn't leave me alone.

Ironically, I was the best English Language student in my class, but I couldn't speak the language perfectly. Funny but true. I didn't believe in myself. I saw writing a story as a very big deal. I didn't know I had to start from somewhere.

The ideas in my head eventually took over. I started with a very short story, an incomplete one. I showed it to some of my friends, but they didn't show interest in it because they weren't accustomed to reading stories. The story went without a single person reading it. But that first attempt helped me a lot. It helped me to start believing in myself. It inspired me to go push further. If I could write something like that, then I should be able to write something better.

I started my first novel in 2007 and ended it in 2010. It was my most fulfilling three years. Nobody knew I was writing a story. I would lock myself in my room and write. I finished it within the first year, of course, but I spent the remaining two years polishing and repolishing it, adding and subtracting ideas. When I was done. I locked it away in my shelf. No one knew about it. I told nobody.

In 2011, I had a girlfriend. Lol! She encouraged me further. I came out of my shell and told her I wrote a story. I think it just came out unexpectedly. She wasn't a novel-reader either, I had no reason to tell her. But it slipped out. As soon as I said it, she got interested. She begged me to read it to her. I was scared. A lot of things bothered me. She might be bored like my initial friends. The last thing I wanted to do was to shove what I had done down the throats of people who gave no damn. But she continued begging me to read it to her. I decided that I would give her the manuscript to read herself. I was sure that she would drop it after the first page like my other friends had done with my initial short story. Besides, I didn't have the best handwriting in the world.

She insisted that I read it to her. She wanted something romantic, hearing me read to her was her idea of a perfect romance. Perhaps she thought I wrote a romantic story. But what I wrote wasn't Romance, it was Detective Mystery. Surely, she would sleep off, or just ask me to shut up, please!

I started reading while she lay on my laps. Oh Lord! For hours, I was reading the story to her. She listened to me quietly. When I thought she had gone to sleep, she would ask me a few questions just to show that she was following. By the time I got to a few chapters, she was no longer laying her head on my laps, she was sitting and resting her head on my shoulder and watching my mouth. Lol! She was probably seeing the characters and actions from my speech. Halfway, she was totally enthralled. By the time I finished, she had cried and laughed and jumped with happiness. She confessed that it was the best story she had ever read. From the way she said it, I believed her.

That statement is what has been keeping me going till today. She believed in me when I didn't even believe in myself. Although I am not yet a complete writer, I still have a lot to learn; but I owe everything I am today to her because she is my first reader. We are separated but we are still very good friends.

After that, I started nursing the idea of typing the story. I couldn't afford to pay to get it typed, I would go anywhere I could find a free PC to type. To cut everything short, I discovered Nairaland shortly after typing it in 2012. There were a lot of like-minded people here posting their stories. I was initially scared that my story would be stolen if I posted it online. After much thoughts, I decided to give it a go.

Mehn! It was one of the best decisions I had made. Almost everyone who read it loved it. They all inspired me. It became such a sensational NL work that a lot of other people plagiarised it on their various platforms. Someone even publicly claim ownership to the work. Lol! To be honest, I never thought I would write any book after that one. I only wrote it to prove that I could write a better story than some of these bestselling writers. But the raves from Nairaland inspired me to write a sequel, which a lot of people told me was even crazier than the first book.

I apologise for this long epistle. Lol! I just want to tell you that anyone who desires to become a writer can be. There's nothing stopping you except you. You have to believe in yourself. If I can do it, then you can definitely do it. Forget about the fear of being mocked for errors. You will only get better. If you have that story in your head, WRITE IT! However, whichever, whenever!

Peace!

LSD smiley
badt guy
... I think u write better than ilegendd and ubunja... come up with something new... riele needs itgrin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Inspires You To Write? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Nov 21, 2019
Bigcowhorn:

You always quote me first before you go dig out your dirty picture why is that?
what picture.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Inspires You To Write? by Bigcowhorn: 7:08pm On Nov 21, 2019
chenzen:
what picture.

If you ask me who i go ask?
Re: What Inspires You To Write? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Nov 21, 2019
Bigcowhorn:

If you ask me who i go ask?
answer me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Inspires You To Write? by Bigcowhorn: 7:24pm On Nov 21, 2019
chenzen:
answer me

Re: What Inspires You To Write? by Nobody: 2:15am On Nov 22, 2019
LarrySun:

grin grin
Re: What Inspires You To Write? by Riele(f): 7:53am On Nov 22, 2019
HannahHitler:

It's just creativity.

Wow . Nice .
Re: What Inspires You To Write? by Riele(f): 7:54am On Nov 22, 2019
chenzen:
riele needs u badly... make sure u find her and plant an everlasting kiss on her cheekgrin

Lmao .
Re: What Inspires You To Write? by Nobody: 8:04am On Nov 22, 2019
[quote author=Bigcowhorn post=84245652][/quote]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Inspires You To Write? by Riele(f): 8:04am On Nov 22, 2019
[quote author=LarrySun post=84243878]

I enjoyed reading this story . Nice .
Re: What Inspires You To Write? by Bigcowhorn: 10:11am On Nov 22, 2019
[quote author=chenzen post=84256602][/quote]

I see you finally found your photos album eh.
Re: What Inspires You To Write? by Hecattee(f): 11:49am On Nov 22, 2019
@ LarrySun

waohhhhhhh, I am inspired. I'm an upcoming writer. I have been on a particular story for almost two years now and I can't seem to finish it, partly because I am very lazy and also because I feel should work on my grammar.

Really, I have good stories in my head but procrastination, laziness and my deficiency in grammatical usage has been my holding me back.
After reading what you wrote up there, I am inspired to go back to writing and also try to work on my grammar. And if you have any useful tips, please share.

Thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Inspires You To Write? by Riele(f): 11:40pm On Nov 22, 2019
Hecattee:
@ LarrySun

waohhhhhhh, I am inspired. I'm an upcoming writer. I have been on a particular story for almost two years now and I can't seem to finish it, partly because I am very lazy and also because I feel should work on my grammar.

Really, I have good stories in my head but procrastination, laziness and my deficiency in grammatical usage has been my holding me back.
After reading what you wrote up there, I am inspired to go back to writing and also try to work on my grammar. And if you have any useful tips, please share.

Thanks

This is exactly my problem too .

I'm inspired by his words .
Re: What Inspires You To Write? by EvaJael(f): 8:00pm On Nov 25, 2019
I'm ashamed to even call myself a writer. School hasn't let me have breathing space but here goes.
Like LarrySun said, many times a story just pops into my head. At other times, someone could just say a word and the word registers in my head and refuses to leave. More often than not, I write the word down as the title of a new document and just leave it there till somehow a story gets woven around the word in my mind.
Sometimes, something happens to me or around me and immediately, my mind starts to work and a story is born.
There are times when I get annoyed into writing. When people get me extremely angry and I don't want to complain to anyone. I just pick up my pen and start writing. Sometimes, it comes out beautifully. At other times, it's quite rough. Either way, when I'm calm, I arrange everything properly.

3 Likes

Re: What Inspires You To Write? by legalwealth(m): 7:04am On Nov 26, 2019
Love for God! !!
Re: What Inspires You To Write? by Mycartoonpic(m): 7:04am On Nov 26, 2019
Well... Ff.. I don't write.
Re: What Inspires You To Write? by BrainnewsRadio(f): 7:05am On Nov 26, 2019
Many things..
One of few is: To express my feelings or idea

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Are Kayode Ajala's stories true? / The Pains Of Love! / Yoruba Language-history

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.