Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,601 members, 7,823,610 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:20 PM

Languages, Tribes And Marriage - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Languages, Tribes And Marriage (938 Views)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices / Nigerian Tribes And Their States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Languages, Tribes And Marriage by email1(m): 2:44pm On Nov 20, 2010
some folks may not agree. i stand to be corrected but Nigerian languages are going extinct. English language has taking over the whole process and nation. the era of slave trade has come and gone but its effect remains.

envy
self centered
greed
corruption and likes

now language.

if you cant speak English fluently, you are regarded as an illiterate. i kind of wonder why. if English is for communication, why must people sweat to pass waec when they can speak and communicate? why would there be questions like clause, adjective, verb and most of all oral English?

i dont know how to speak my language because my dad thinks we all must learn English and become an expect. it worked only that i am afraid about the language my kids will speak; and being that i am far away from my state, it might be difficult for me to marry from my tribe.

1. house, do you think language is not important in marriage? (especially if you cant speak like me )

2. i am thinking of going into politics in the nearest future, what would i use to convince my people? English?

3. am i tribe less?

4. what language will my kids speak? my wife's? (this is most important)
Re: Languages, Tribes And Marriage by Nobody: 12:45am On Dec 08, 2010
This is sadly true. Our languages are going extinct.
Shame on the Yoruba parents preventing their Children from speaking Yoruba just so they wont have the accent. Altho, I dont think Yoruba language will be going extinct anytime soon. It's very rare to find a Yoruba that can't speak their language. Usually when they cant speak it, they try hard to learn.

1. Yes yes, language is very important to me. I dont speak English at home, and neither do I speak it to my friends that can understand my lang.
If my husband cant speak my language, then he'll have to learn. Haba, I mean, imagine speaking English all the time to your lover. I really dont feel comfortable while speaking English sometimes, it's too blah.

2. If you're going into politics, then yes, English is very useful. Unless you're planning on learning the whole >=250 languages in Nigeria. English is a common playground for everyone.

3. Hmmm, It doesnt necessarily make you tribe-less. Just disconnects you from your culture a bit. Languages helps you understand your root. Imagine trying to translate a cultural joke in Yoruba to English.

4. Your children can pick up both you and your wife's language. They say that children should be more familiar witht heir father's house tho.

(1) (Reply)

Great Ife !!! Great Join Us If U Are From The Source Ife Oyee...ife Odayee / Weave Is The Death Of African Beauty / Help On Functions Of Oyomesi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.