Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,840 members, 7,820,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:24 AM

'I stopped being a Senator since 2015', Babafemi Ojudu issues Caveat Lector - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'I stopped being a Senator since 2015', Babafemi Ojudu issues Caveat Lector (506 Views)

Babafemi Ojudu Unhappy As Femi Fani-Kayode Joins APC / The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu. / Babafemi Ojudu: Stop Begging Me For Money, I Am No Longer A Senator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

'I stopped being a Senator since 2015', Babafemi Ojudu issues Caveat Lector by shehuolayinka(m): 5:13pm On Nov 22, 2019
Let me make myself clear from the onset. There is no mistake in the combination of the two words above. I am not concerned here about buyers but readers. So, readers, beware! That is the difference between “emptor” and “lector”.

What brought about my asking readers to beware? It is my gentle call on readers to note the change in my status. It does appear that, going to five years since I left the Senate, many still assume that I am still in the upper chamber with the allowance warts and all.

Yes, it’s true I was a Senator. I stopped being one since 2015. Yes, 2015! We are in 2019, marching on to 2020. It is four years now since I stopped being a senator. When you stop being a senator, your salary and allowances cease. What is left is the title which the creators of that position graciously leaves you with, to massage your ego for the rest of your life.

Yes, sometimes, the ego needs massaging. The title gives you access to protocol or VIP lounges at the airport; a few benefits and respect here and there. It also looks good as a handle to your name on your call card. Yes, it is good to do with some of these.

Often times, it also doesn’t help. It could act as one of those privileges that far remove you from reality, from real people and real situations that define life.

You enter into the economy class in a plane and everyone begins to look at you as if you have missed your road. That look of what is he doing here with all the money he earns or he has stolen. You are suspended in the cloud; your feet never touching the ground. It gives that attitude of, if rice is expensive, why can’t they eat noodles?

Like our governors who move around in chartered planes and do not know the roads in their states are no longer passable, you are shielded from the majority and imprisoned with the minority who continue to lose touch and inhabit the dizzying height.

For me, Babafemi Ojudu, this title is becoming an albatross. It seems no one wants to believe that that innocent reporter who went on adventure to the Senate is no longer a member of the Red Chambers.

Everyone I deal with, from the mechanic who repairs my car, to the laundry man, the one who want to help carry my bag at the airport, friends and acquaintances on social media, relations, the ubiquitous local politician, all still want to take that pound of flesh for having, as they say “made much money from the Senate”.

Yes I have a lot of flesh left in my body, thanks to the culinary indiscipline of the past, but the flesh has since left my bank account. If you don’t believe, ask my bank manager and I’m willing to supply my BVN, the three-letter albatross of the covetous.

Now I am pleading, when you offer me services, please charge me as you will people who never bear that title – “senator”. Look at me more like that reporter or editor of yesteryears who you take pity on. I am back on the beat.

In stores, on the streets where I want to buy roast corn or plantain, at mama put, at Iya Oyo, the amala joint, or Ojuelegba in Gwarinpa, the one issuing me a boarding pass at the airport, security men, messengers at offices, colleagues, drivers, the gatemen in their homes, farm workers I have had to hire, work men carrying out repairs in my home – I mean the electricians, plumbers and sundry others, area boys and girls, everyone I encounter and have to deal with one way or the other, think wrongly that this income I last earned many years ago is still very much there and they must take their own share by hook or crook. I beg your pardon!

Accept a request on social media, innocuously wish someone a happy birthday and then the torrents of requests; my house rent is due, mum is in the hospital and could not pay bills, school fees is due, wedding requirements not yet complete for lack of funds, visa in the kitty but no money to buy traveling ticket, daddy is dead and in the mortuary and no money yet for funeral expenses, fibroid surgery recommended but no money, children have not returned to school for lack of money to pay fees. All of these, for me who Baba Buhari only pays a survival wage for giving advice now? Haba! E s’aanu mi. E de b’eru Olorun!

I have had to instruct my wife to resort to her maiden name, when engaging in any transaction. Many at times, she has had to be surcharged for bearing my name. The pressure on my adult daughters who still carry around my name with pride is enormous and one almost broke down crying, relating her experiences to me.

For my son, who is into music, I have admonished him to pick his own identity. He made a mistake thinking that by being the son of a senator, things will get easier for him and doors will be opened. Na lie, as we say in pidgin. Who sai!

Virtually everyone he has had to deal with him tried to skin him on account of his being a senator’s son, albeit a former one.

For those who may still not believe me after going to this length to make this caveat, let me inform that yes there was much money made in the course of the four years in the Senate, I won’t deny that, sugbon, bo se wa lo se lo.

As we received so did we give back to the constituents who sent us there via their constant and unending demands and pressures. If the pressure could be this much, five years after, imagine what it was when one served.

READ MORE: https://thebelltimesng.com/2019/11/22/caveat-lector-by-babafemi-ojudu/

Re: 'I stopped being a Senator since 2015', Babafemi Ojudu issues Caveat Lector by seunmsg(m): 6:21pm On Nov 22, 2019
Very interesting piece. Sadly, this piece won’t stop the poor masses from demanding financial assistance from him or any other political office holder. The only way to stop people from making such demands is to improve the economy, create a conducive environment for businesses to thrive, and make jobs available for those willing and qualified to work.

As a former senator and an adviser to the president, you’re a member of the ruling class and a senior member of the current government. Use your position to work for the people and also encourage other members of the ruling class to stop stealing and work diligently to improve the country. People will stop begging when we create a country where prosperity is shared.

2 Likes

Re: 'I stopped being a Senator since 2015', Babafemi Ojudu issues Caveat Lector by Okoroawusa: 7:21pm On Nov 22, 2019
Nice piece but you can do something still. It's just must not be money. A recommendation here or there, a connection here or there, some chicken change to that one that needs to fill her kiosk with goods can go a long way .

Like the igbos will say,'Anyi agaghi eri gi na canopy" meaning "We don't have to wait till your death to benefit from you"
Re: 'I stopped being a Senator since 2015', Babafemi Ojudu issues Caveat Lector by sweetonugbu: 7:46pm On Nov 22, 2019
Baba you are a wonderful journalist, flowing write up, but once a senator always a senator, try your best and leave the rest.
Re: 'I stopped being a Senator since 2015', Babafemi Ojudu issues Caveat Lector by raumdeuter: 7:52pm On Nov 22, 2019
There is poverty in the land. Look at how much opulence these Senators are living in and compare that to their community
E.g See the fleet of cars Dino Melaye for example has and look at his community in Aiyetoro, how many people have as much as 10,000 to their name
Where do you expect people to go?

If Ojudu and the Senators are sincere, let them pass a bill to cut their wages to the level a regular civil servant earns then the people will stop taxing them

But you cannot be earning 20M a months while your community 90% of them cannot afford N1,000 meal

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

No Border Reopening, Until Benin, Others Respect Protocols – FG / Ayo Fayose Meets With Former Ekiti State PDP LG Chairmen / Kano State Governor Bans Opposite Sex From Plying The Same Tricycle (keke)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.