Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,488 members, 7,819,766 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:46 PM

How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? (4835 Views)

Meeting My Nigerian (ibo)inlaws This December I'm From SOUTH AFRICA Help! / I Kneel Down To My Nigerian Husband Every Day / Bannned??? My Nigerian Mother In Law Might Be Trying To Break Up My Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by obowunmi(m): 6:07am On Nov 21, 2010
You are not Nigerian enough! These words ring in my ears daily, over and over again. I only wonder what these words mean. I have never imagined – my identity.

Please provide me with a list/ the criteria that makes one a "true" Nigerian ?
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by Nobody: 6:25am On Nov 21, 2010
True Nigerians pls help the guy with the list grin
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by obowunmi(m): 7:44am On Nov 21, 2010
Is this an irrelevant question ? How come no one is responding ?
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by Nobody: 1:43pm On Nov 21, 2010
Maybe there are no true Nigerians on here. just kidding wait till Monday. Sunday is most people day off on nairaland. cheesy
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by obowunmi(m): 2:12pm On Nov 21, 2010
Thanks for being kind and responsive rokiatu --- hope that you are having a great day.
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by obowunmi(m): 2:13pm On Nov 21, 2010
what about you -- do you have a list ?
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Nov 21, 2010
I am not Nigerian. Yea I am having a great night thanks.
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by obowunmi(m): 2:41pm On Nov 21, 2010
Where are you from ?
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Nov 21, 2010
Liberia.
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by obowunmi(m): 2:56pm On Nov 21, 2010
lovely --- and what makes a true Liberian ?
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Nov 21, 2010
LOL see question grin Well I was born there, my mom is from there my dad is from there as well. As long as you are a certain Nationality, You are that, no matter where you go, your nationality will follow you. All that "you're not a true Nigerian" blah blah blah is a tribal bullshit to make others feel bad.
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by obowunmi(m): 3:12pm On Nov 21, 2010
Interesting. Thank you for your feedback.
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by iice(f): 4:00pm On Nov 21, 2010
rokiatu:

Liberia.

Wow. Thought you were Nigerian.
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Nov 21, 2010
haha grin
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by MissyB3(f): 4:26pm On Nov 21, 2010
Here

Skip the other paragraphs of my comment and read the last.
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by obowunmi(m): 4:45pm On Nov 21, 2010
My Nigerian-ness(Excuse ma Eng.] is based on the fact that I can relate with fellow Nigerians without difficulty, I can fit into a 'Nigerian situation' with ease, have adequate knowledge of my enviroment; such that, I understand its imperfections and glory and in all, I can bodly identify myself publicly as a full- blooded Nigerian.
What actually gives me the right to regard someone as more or less nigerian than myself? Exactly their activity towards issues that concern Nigeria.

Ok, so you're Nigerian because you relate with fellow Nigerians without any difficulty ? What does this mean ? Shouldn't anyone communicate with any human being with ease.

What are the qualities of a "full blooded" Nigerian ?

There are Nigerians in Nigeria, who are less concerned with issues that concern Nigerians ---- to me, you have not provided any tangible evidence or points.
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by ishit4body(f): 5:14pm On Nov 21, 2010
poster

The meaning of your username is- I love pu, ssy.

That in itself has disqualified you as a Nigerian.
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by beneli(m): 6:07pm On Nov 21, 2010
Ones 'Nigerian-ness' is defined by their ability to legitimately obtain a Nigerian passport - everything else is irreleavnt, IMHO.
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by kieryn(f): 7:01pm On Nov 21, 2010
What makes a true Nigerian?

Born on the soil of Nigeria
Speak an Nigerian language
Embrace the culture
Interact with Nigerians freely

I don't know! I was born and raised in the states all my life. I embrace my culture fully without hesitations. But Nigeria-born people in the states will never see you as a true Nigerian, especially if you don't speak the language or have never been home. They complain about wishing they raised their children back home because their children now have this akata mentality. Then get mad when you tell them that you are from the states because that is where you were born. Yet back home Nigerians put western influences on a pedestal whereas not speaking proper English you are considered village like or uneducated. (that a story for another time) At the end of the day both of my parents are Nigerian so technically speaking I am a true Nigerian from my head to the tip of my toes. I learn to accept my position as between two culture instead of trying to fit perfectly into one. If anyone wants to bring wahala, I just just smile because they simply wasting their breathe I heard it all and been there before.
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by obowunmi(m): 7:22pm On Nov 21, 2010
^^^ well said.
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by MissyB3(f): 10:48pm On Nov 21, 2010
obowunmi:

Ok, so you're Nigerian because you relate with fellow Nigerians without any difficulty ? What does this mean ?
Yez! One of the factors my Nigerian-ness is founded on.

Whilst it's one thing to be Nigerian [simply because one is born to Nigerian parents], it's another to be Nigerian [Not only because you're born to Nigerian parents, but you're also acquainted with your culture and people]. You're not lost when in the midst of fellow Nigerians.
''Ness'', ''True''  are perceived as 'strong' suffix and adjective respectively, used to emphasize the REAL state or quality of a thing/person. In this case, Nigerian. When you ask how your Nigerian-ness can be measured or determined,  I expect that you understand what your question implies - how can it be determined that you're very familiar with your 'background' and know your roots.

obowunmi:

Shouldn't anyone communicate with any human being with ease.
I don't want to bring semantics into this but let me state that I wrote ''relate'' not ''communicate'' as, one is not a variant of the other.
I deliberately did not use the word ''communicate''. Anyone can communicate with anyone with ease.
To communicate with someone with ease and fit into an enviroment with ease are too different things. While one doesn't necessarily require familiarization, the other does.
I could arrive in the UK for the first time on Nov. 5th and be able to communicate w/o difficulty with the first 3 Englishmen i meet BUT I would like to believe, as obviously would be the case, I'd be LOST and feel left out if I saw thousands of people in London parks and the smell of gunpowder smoke filled the air while they recite their usual 'bonfire night' rhyme. Even if someone explained to me that it's done in remembrance of Guy Fawkes, It would  still be of little importance to me or wouldn't stir up much excitement as, I'm not Briton and therefore not familiar with that rite. I was able to communicate but did I fit in?

The concept of ''Nigerian-ness'', I can summarize in one word- patriotism. The true Nigerian is a patriot. This is how I, Missy can measure your Nigerian-ness. You do not have to agree, that's why it's my opinion [which you asked for] grin

obowunmi:

There are Nigerians in Nigeria, who are less concerned with issues that concern Nigerians ----
Where one resides is irrelevant. Want to explain this further?

obowunmi:

to me, you have not provided any tangible evidence or points.
This is not science-related, that it should need proof/evidence.  grin  grin
I'm sorry, I didn't think comprehension would be a problem.  . . . It's your fault, not mine.
I can only give you an opinion, not an understanding. cool
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by turboman(m): 5:27pm On Nov 22, 2010
if you cannot speak or understand "Pidgin English", then u r not a true Nigerian

If you call you dad "mate", u r not a true Nigerian

if you eat a slice of bread before leaving for work in the morning, then you are not confirmed naija breed, sorry Nigerian breed grin grin grin grin grin grin

. . . . . . .  more contributions needed
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by bidemi12(m): 5:53pm On Nov 22, 2010
on a scale of 1 to 10, how corrupt are you? That is the only measure that matters in Nigeria.
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Nov 22, 2010
1. You must be used to suffering and smiling at the same time.

2. You must say "e no concern me" when illegality is being perpetuated on another man.

3. You must be loud and lousy, especially on the phone.

4. You must be a religious fanatic. . . . a Bible/Koran thumping prayer warrior/almajiri who believes any trash doled out by his pastor or Imam.

5. You must be a core ethnic bigot. You totally lose your nigerianness if you dont see anything bad in the next man from the other ethnic group.

6. You must blame road accidents, high way robbery and sicknesses on the devil.

7. You must leave every problem to god.

8. You must oppose anything that criticizes the ills of the society.

9. You must put ooh at the end of every sentence you make.

10. You must see fat/pot belied people as evidence of good living.

11. You must pay your girlfriend monthly allowance.

12. And to some extent, you must learn to see 419 as a pay back for the "evil" the white man has "perpetuated" on us.
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by MissyB3(f): 6:34pm On Nov 22, 2010
turboman:

if you cannot speak or understand "Pidgin English", then u r not a true Nigerian

If you call you dad "mate", u r not a true Nigerian

if you eat a slice of bread before leaving for work in the morning, then you are not confirmed naija breed, sorry Nigerian breed grin grin grin grin grin grin

. . . . . . .  more contributions needed

nuzo:

2. You must say "e no concern me" when illegality is being perpetuated on another man.

4. You must be a religious fanatic. . . . a Bible/Koran thumping prayer warrior/almajiri who believes any trash doled out by his pastor or Imam.

5. You must be a core ethnic bigot. You totally lose your nigerianness if you dont see anything bad in the next man from the other ethnic group.

12. And to some extent, you must learn to see 419 as a pay back for the "evil" the white man has "perpetuated" on us.

Lol! Good and funny list!  grin  grin  grin  grin grin
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by kedukc(m): 7:05pm On Nov 22, 2010
Being Nigerian is about being the biggest hypocrite on da planet, here's a list:

1. You find it extremely difficult to express your sexual nature in casual situations, worse still, getting nasty lashbacks when you do so 'cos Nigerian body is made of wood grin.

2. You believe social networking sites like facebook/nairaland are perfect platform to become the next G.O of your church cool by terrorising your non-believing friends with hate comments cry

3. You believe everything the white man said even if he's not doing the same himself e.g. Suits in hot sun wink , Aunty Dora's "Naija" gaffe shocked , Doing music videos to showcase other peoples' country what happened to your own? etc.

4. You find it easier to say "i love you Uti and Mercy Johnson!" while the neighbor u see everyday is hardly worth a simple complient, the compliment itself when given, is then taken out of context undecided

5. Your senator is not doing well, tomorrow he shows up at the villa and you run out of your house, abandoning your pot on the fire to go and "show face". kiss

Let's stop here sha, we (self-inclusive) have our other quirks like arrogance and high testosterone etc. buh HYPOCRISY IS OUR FAVORITE.
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by MsTom(f): 7:06pm On Nov 22, 2010
nuzo:

nice!!!
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by obowunmi(m): 7:42pm On Nov 22, 2010
Nuzo --- right on!!!
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by obowunmi(m): 7:43pm On Nov 22, 2010
kedukc:

Being Nigerian is about being the biggest hypocrite on da planet, here's a list:

1. You find it extremely difficult to express your sexual nature in casual situations, worse still, getting nasty lashbacks when you do so 'cos Nigerian body is made of wood grin.

2. You believe social networking sites like facebook/nairaland are perfect platform to become the next G.O of your church cool by terrorising your non-believing friends with hate comments cry

3. You believe everything the white man said even if he's not doing the same himself e.g. Suits in hot sun wink , Aunty Dora's "Naija" gaffe shocked , Doing music videos to showcase other peoples' country what happened to your own? etc.

4. You find it easier to say "i love you Uti and Mercy Johnson!" while the neighbor u see everyday is hardly worth a simple complient, the compliment itself when given, is then taken out of context undecided

5. Your senator is not doing well, tomorrow he shows up at the villa and you run out of your house, abandoning your pot on the fire to go and "show face". kiss

Let's stop here sha, we (self-inclusive) have our other quirks like arrogance and high testosterone etc. buh HYPOCRISY IS OUR FAVORITE.

Interesting!~
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Nov 22, 2010
obowunmi:

Interesting!~

grin grin grin grin grin
It is

You are Nigerian when

1: You buy used-commodities rather than brand new ones cause they are better (Not!)
2: You say see you at 4:30PM and get there by 8:00PM
3: You get married and bring your siblings into your new family (Private-Public-Partnerships)
4: You tithe all week long and cannot give a dime to Orphanages or Motherless babies
5: You vote for anyone who can bribe you with as little as N1,000 (Recharge money that you can easily afford and say "Hey, that is my share of the national cake)
6: You complain all day about the Government and don't realize, you are part of it.
7: You prefer other races to your own (indian, chinese, lebanese, egyptians, malians, arabs)
8: You call whites MASTER and Blacks Oga

I choose to be NAIJA!!!! cos
1: You can survive through all kinds of hardship on pure hard-work and common-sense and proudly wear the NIGERIAN Flag come rain, hell , sleet or snow.
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by hackney(m): 8:25pm On Nov 22, 2010
^^^^^
grin grin grin grin

Also shout into your mobile phone when making calls.
Re: How Do You Measure My Nigerian-ness ? by ShangoThor(m): 8:52pm On Nov 22, 2010
I was once told by a relative that the difference between myself (an Aje butter) and a Local Nigerian is that I question things, I’m extremely direct and I would look anybody directly in the face and it took me ages to understand what he meant.

In my humble opinion, formed from my observations, you are more like a local Nigerian if whilst you’re suffering and smiling you subscribe to the following conditions listed below:

The whole country being setup on a system of exploitation, where the wealthy rip off the poor, the strong and influential rip off the weak and vulnerable, family members in the country, rip off their relatives in the diaspora, Government Administrations in particular rip off their poor citizens by paying extremely low wages, cracking the whip to exploit the same workers for the multi-nationals, and preventing home grown Nigerian companies to compete in the same fields as the Multi-nationals.

To top it off, local Nigerians pay up to 300% more for goods than their western counterparts which is absolutely ludicrous. We pay more for airline tickets in general when travelling to the west (Please check out Thailand to compare), and the list goes on.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Examples Of House-wife Material In Pictures(what You Should Look Like) / Almost All Yoruba Kings Are Muslims (pics) / Why Babies Are Named On The Eight Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.