Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:26 AM

New Law In Ohio - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / New Law In Ohio (1970 Views)

Isreal New Law Makes It Criminal To Tell People About Jesus / Bishop Wale Oke: No To Sharia Law In South West Nigeria / It Is Okay To Be A Big Fool In School"---christian Politicians In Ohio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Law In Ohio by LordReed(m): 12:57pm On Dec 03, 2019
JMAN05:

Proved science is not at odds with the Bible. However, I understand why such a law in Ohio will break upon the hole of wrong believes. But human rights demands that you respect another's beliefs no matter how funny.

Depends on who you ask. There are people still saying the earth is flat and using the bible to backup their views.

1 Like

Re: New Law In Ohio by Nobody: 1:14pm On Dec 03, 2019
LordReed:

Depends on who you ask. There are people still saying the earth is flat and using the bible to backup their views.

Am not surprised. But I don't see how the Bible could support such a view. The Bible rather give the sense of a globe, not flat. But I respect others right to there own believes. But what do you think?
Re: New Law In Ohio by LordReed(m): 1:27pm On Dec 03, 2019
JMAN05:

Am not surprised. But I don't see how the Bible could support such a view. The Bible rather give the sense of a globe, not flat. But I respect others right to there own believes. But what do you think?

I respect the right to hold your opinion but I may not respect your opinion.

The bible mentions circle, a 2d shape, not a sphere. I can see how someone can take it to mean the earth is flat. Which is in direct contrast to what we have discovered of our world. So I respect their right to believe the world is flat but i think that is a garbage opinion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Law In Ohio by Nobody: 1:36pm On Dec 03, 2019
LordReed:

I respect the right to hold your opinion but I may not respect your opinion.

The bible mentions circle, a 2d shape, not a sphere. I can see how someone can take it to mean the earth is flat. Which is in direct contrast to what we have discovered of our world. So I respect their right to believe the world is flat but i think that is a garbage opinion.

Which Bible portion do you have in mind?
Re: New Law In Ohio by LordReed(m): 1:57pm On Dec 03, 2019
JMAN05:

Which Bible portion do you have in mind?

Isa. 40:22

It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth,
Re: New Law In Ohio by vaxx1: 2:35pm On Dec 03, 2019
XxSabrinaxX:
https://local12.com/news/local/ohio-house-passes-bill-allowing-student-answers-to-be-scientifically-wrong-due-to-religion

This is so very sad! A student can’t be marked wrong if their answer is based on their religion but scientifically incorrect!
.Well if this continues, the State will become less and less desirable for tertiary education, and the Universities will we see a drop in attendance.

I don't see this working out.

Unless the point is to make OHIO the dumbest state in the America ...and to that endeavour, I bid it good fortune.

The competition is tough.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Law In Ohio by kumulus(m): 3:36pm On Dec 03, 2019
LordReed:

I repeat again every mental ailment is characterized by changes in the brain either structurally or functionally. You are hooked on the structural defects and forgetting the functional one which of course is also physical in nature. Functional defects are like hormonal and chemical imbalance.

If functional defects are like hormonal and chemical imbalances (too much or too little of this substances in the bloodstream), I went on to ask you, do hormones just get released into the bloodstream by their own will or when there's a request/demand for such?

It's a metaphor! They are not actually referring to any type of spirit but merely commenting on the attitudes or behaviour of the athletes. None of which things can be divorced from the physical bodies displaying them.

Language is quite descriptive, as such one would expect its use to be as well. And you just betrayed your assertion @bolded as you just implied that the bodies are but objects of display for something different than themselves. Just like saying the apparels cannot be divorced from the mannequins displaying them. Words are very deceiving sometimes, if not most times.

Indeed, which is why your postulations will remain as fantasies, they remain in the realm of imagination.

Fantasies indeed....

I didn't assume anything. I asked you for a method to determine the veracity of your postulations, you said to examine myself which I have and have given you the conclusion.

More than a method, I've put in your hands a most veritable way to discover. One every adept past and present did allude to although in allegories or sometimes parables. Know thyself!

All thoughts as far as they are in my head are mine, there are no external voices in my head.

That's a false imo but you're entitled to yours for sure. I rather would say I'm responsible for which thoughts hold sway and not entirely responsible for everything that comes up. Genesis 3 did give us a clear reference on that, man had fallen out of a state of Oneness and became like "Us" ( two or more ).

Re: New Law In Ohio by LordReed(m): 4:05pm On Dec 03, 2019
kumulus:
If functional defects are like hormonal and chemical imbalances (too much or too little of this substances in the bloodstream), I went on to ask you, do hormones just get released into the bloodstream by their own will or when there's a request/demand for such?

What do you mean by requested or demanded?

Language is quite descriptive, as such one would expect its use to be as well. And you just betrayed your assertion @bolded as you just implied that the bodies are but objects of display for something different than themselves. Just like saying the apparels cannot be divorced from the mannequins displaying them. Words are very deceiving sometimes, if not most times.

You are funny. Of course you can divorce clothes from the mannequins but can you show me love floating in the air or lying on the floor?

That's a false imo but you're entitled to yours for sure. I rather would say I'm responsible for which thoughts hold sway and not entirely responsible for everything that comes up. Genesis 3 did give us a clear reference on that, man had fallen out of a state of Oneness and became like "Us" ( two or more ).

What a load of rubbish. You just said I should know myself I report to you what I know and you go on to attempt invalidate my observation. If you are not confident in the result why did you suggest the method? I have no external voices in my head, if you do, good for you.
Re: New Law In Ohio by kumulus(m): 5:23pm On Dec 03, 2019
LordReed:

What do you mean by requested or demanded?

How and when does the body release hormones?

You are funny. Of course you can divorce clothes from the mannequins but can you show me love floating in the air or lying on the floor?

Oh the expression, ' love in the air' lol.... A very accurate one for this discourse, its a social description of a perceived romantic atmosphere. Love in that sense is not a tangible thing yet it is perceived and alluded to, do we now conclude that because of the intangibility of love it doesn't exist?

What a load of rubbish. You just said I should know myself I report to you what I know and you go on to attempt invalidate my observation. If you are not confident in the result why did you suggest the method? I have no external voices in my head, if you do, good for you.

You really think I'm the one saying rubbish?? You are the one laying claim to what's not for whatever reasons and I did say of course you are entitled to your opinions.....but the truth and fact remains that no man alive will say he's in the absolute the initiator of all thoughts in his mind. The brain is a tricky device, consider a lady who left her home seductively dressed (apparently in order to impress her sexual attractiveness on men), a man sees her and this sexuality registers in his brain and in that very instant he's already thinking about her voluminous chest and voluptuous booty and every mundane thing he could be doing with her. Its very easy for such a man to say he initiated the sexual thoughts but would it not suffice that the lady did sow the seeds of those thoughts (suggestion/suggestive clothing). Most of the thoughts of man on a constant basis are based off manipulations in the form of suggestions, some are instinctive/behavioral (persistent repetition)...and some more. Your thoughts are never entirely initiated by you sir, to think otherwise is in itself folly.
Re: New Law In Ohio by LordReed(m): 6:07pm On Dec 03, 2019
kumulus:

How and when does the body release hormones?

In response to stimuli. Can you now answer my question and stop answering questions with questions.

Oh the expression, ' love in the air' lol.... A very accurate one for this discourse, its a social description of a perceived romantic atmosphere. Love in that sense is not a tangible thing yet it is perceived and alluded to, do we now conclude that because of the intangibility of love it doesn't exist?

I never claimed intangibles do not exist, it is you claiming they are spirit and separate from physical processes. Now can you demonstrate your spirit or spiritual realm as things that are independent of physical processes? This has been the question I have asked you to answer from the beginning.

You really think I'm the one saying rubbish?? You are the one laying claim to what's not for whatever reasons and I did say of course you are entitled to your opinions.....but the truth and fact remains that no man alive will say he's in the absolute the initiator of all thoughts in his mind. The brain is a tricky device, consider a lady who left her home seductively dressed (apparently in order to impress her sexual attractiveness on men), a man sees her and this sexuality registers in his brain and in that very instant he's already thinking about her voluminous chest and voluptuous booty and every mundane thing he could be doing with her. Its very easy for such a man to say he initiated the sexual thoughts but would it not suffice that the lady did sow the seeds of those thoughts (suggestion/suggestive clothing). Most of the thoughts of man on a constant basis are based off manipulations in the form of suggestions, some are instinctive/behavioral (persistent repetition)...and some more. Your thoughts are never entirely initiated by you sir, to think otherwise is in itself folly.

Do you understand the things you read or are you wilfully misrepresenting what I wrote? Where did I claim that all my thoughts were initiated by me? I wrote that all my thoughts are mine, I never claimed they were initiated by me.
Re: New Law In Ohio by kumulus(m): 8:19pm On Dec 03, 2019
LordReed:

In response to stimuli. Can you now answer my question and stop answering questions with questions.

Below is the question I asked to which you replied me with a question; "what do you mean by requested or demanded?"

I'm not certain how I erred in dignifying you with a response making the question simpler to comprehend.

I never claimed intangibles do not exist, it is you claiming they are spirit and separate from physical processes.

I would believe this two (intangible and spirit) are synonymous in the context of explaining what spirits are and can be interchangeably used. You may then agree with me that saying intangibles (spirits) is not separate from physical (tangible) processes is not really smart.

The questions are coming because you say defects in the brain are all physical (be it structural or functional), hence ruling out psychological defects which obviously is not a physical impairment but occurring on the plane of intangibility (mental) and I needed to make you see the falsehood in that assertion so we can make progress.

Now can you demonstrate your spirit or spiritual realm as things that are independent of physical processes? This has been the question I have asked you to answer from the beginning.

I still don't know how you expect me to demonstrate an intangible experiment with tangible materials as it seems that's what you're asking me to do. I had supplied you with the truth in its most basic form that the laboratory is in your mind and the apparatuses are within it, go in as you will and discover was my earlier admonition. Moreover, your question from the beginning was based on the nonexistence of spirits or the spiritual realm and not whether they are things independent of physical processes or not.

Do you understand the things you read or are you wilfully misrepresenting what I wrote? Where did I claim that all my thoughts were initiated by me? I wrote that all my thoughts are mine, I never claimed they were initiated by me.

In absolute honesty, I can't say I do all the times.... I try not to assume which is why I ask questions but that doesn't seem to settle well with you. I made it clear I was talking about thoughts starting point but you insisted all the thoughts in your head are yours, they are all on the first page, do go back and see for yourself.

As kids, physical sciences did fascinate us a great deal but as we grow we realized that is just one of the many sciences. If you're arguments are fiercely centered on physical sciences, I bet you'd easily dispute the field of metaphysics been a thing at all.

1 Like

Re: New Law In Ohio by LordReed(m): 12:01am On Dec 04, 2019
kumulus:

I would believe this two (intangible and spirit) are synonymous in the context of explaining what spirits are and can be interchangeably used. You may then agree with me that saying intangibles (spirits) is not separate from physical (tangible) processes is not really smart.

They are not interchangeable because you are not referring to properties of physical processes. You are referring to things that are separate from physical properties.

The questions are coming because you say defects in the brain are all physical (be it structural or functional), hence ruling out psychological defects which obviously is not a physical impairment but occurring on the plane of intangibility (mental) and I needed to make you see the falsehood in that assertion so we can make progress.

Mention one psychological diagnosis that has no physical root.

I still don't know how you expect me to demonstrate an intangible experiment with tangible materials as it seems that's what you're asking me to do. I had supplied you with the truth in its most basic form that the laboratory is in your mind and the apparatuses are within it, go in as you will and discover was my earlier admonition. Moreover, your question from the beginning was based on the nonexistence of spirits or the spiritual realm and not whether they are things independent of physical processes or not.

That's for you to figure out since you insist that they exist. Why do you expect me to tell you how you should prove the thing you insist exists and I don't believe exists?

I used the method you supplied and arrived at a conclusion that is at odds with your assertions. It is left for you to figure out why your method does not work.

My question has always been for you to show that these things you call spirit are not results of physical processes. If they are the result of physical processes then spirit does not exist. Is that clear now?

In absolute honesty, I can't say I do all the times.... I try not to assume which is why I ask questions but that doesn't seem to settle well with you. I made it clear I was talking about thoughts starting point but you insisted all the thoughts in your head are yours, they are all on the first page, do go back and see for yourself.

I have answered this already, i didn't claim initiation of thoughts always arise from me. I claimed ownership of all my thoughts. The 2 are not the same.

As kids, physical sciences did fascinate us a great deal but as we grow we realized that is just one of the many sciences. If you're arguments are fiercely centered on physical sciences, I bet you'd easily dispute the field of metaphysics been a thing at all.

Metaphysics is not science, its philosophy. You can philosophize all you want but when your thoughts intersect with reality then you must produce substance or else your philosophy remains a fantasy. I would have substance not fantasy, thank you very much.
Re: New Law In Ohio by Nobody: 5:24pm On Dec 04, 2019
LordReed:

Isa. 40:22

It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth,

Now the upon can be translated above. That is more logical. The circle could also be translated sphere. This is logically, what the prophet meant. That the Earth is spherical.

I understand why some people would want to believe in a flat Earth. That was the belief among the philosophers .

2 Likes

Re: New Law In Ohio by LordReed(m): 6:54pm On Dec 04, 2019
JMAN05:

Now the upon can be translated above. That is more logical. The circle could also be translated sphere. This is logically, what the prophet meant. That the Earth is spherical.

I understand why some people would want to believe in a flat Earth. That was the belief among the philosophers .

Those are not logical steps those are just leaps of conjecture because you are not showing why we should conclude that the person who wrote it meant sphere. Why didn't the author write just write sphere instead of expecting us to arrive at the conclusion while writing circle?
Re: New Law In Ohio by Nobody: 7:31am On Dec 05, 2019
LordReed:

Those are not logical steps those are just leaps of conjecture because you are not showing why we should conclude that the person who wrote it meant sphere. Why didn't the author write just write sphere instead of expecting us to arrive at the conclusion while writing circle?

The author is a Hebrew. He used a word in his language that can mean circle or sphere. If you chose to translate circle, nothing is wrong, you only have to recognize that what the writer means is that the Earth is round in shape, not flat.

At job 22:14 the words of the appeared as "vault" of heaven (ASV). Which is a hemisphere as could be deduced from Earth. So when he used the same word for the Earth, it won't be consistent to think of a flat Earth. Rather, a globe or round shape.

1 Like

Re: New Law In Ohio by Emusan(m): 8:01am On Dec 05, 2019
LordReed:

I don't know why some Atheists will just be lying boldly...

Is it only a religious person that support the flat earth model?

Are there not people who are saying the earth is flat without using Bible?
Re: New Law In Ohio by Emusan(m): 8:16am On Dec 05, 2019
JMAN05:

So you're the one who will tell us what the prophet meant just because your organization supported Globe earth.

I understand why some people would want to believe in a flat Earth. That was the belief among the philosophers.

So you mean only philosophers believe in flat earth....this is pure delusion.
Re: New Law In Ohio by Emusan(m): 8:28am On Dec 05, 2019
JMAN05:
The author is a Hebrew. He used a word in his language that can mean circle or sphere. If you chose to translate circle, nothing is wrong, you only have to recognize that what the writer means is that the Earth is round in shape, not flat.

It can mean circle or sphere yet I have never come across any translations that used the word SPHERE in that verse even your own translation.

At job 22:14 the words of the appeared as "vault" of heaven (ASV). Which is a hemisphere as could be deduced from Earth. So when he used the same word for the Earth, it won't be consistent to think of a flat Earth. Rather, a globe or round shape.

Vault here is heaven which can mean the atmosphere/sky or even what the flat earther called DOME above the earth which is also Hemisphere in shape....

So you see everyone can interpret it to suit themselves as they want. Better we silent where Bible silent rather than forcing it to say what it didn't say.
Re: New Law In Ohio by LordReed(m): 8:30am On Dec 05, 2019
Emusan:

I don't know why some Atheists will just be lying boldly...

Is it only a religious person that support the flat earth model?

Are there not people who are saying the earth is flat without using Bible?

If you don't understand English in the morning why don't you wait till afternoon before replying, by then your brain would have adjusted to understand.

Did I say the only people who think the world is flat are religious?
Re: New Law In Ohio by Emusan(m): 8:53am On Dec 05, 2019
LordReed:
If you don't understand English in the morning why don't you wait till afternoon before replying, by then your brain would have adjusted to understand.

When in reality you're the very one who needs to enroll in English class.

Did I say the only people who think the world is flat are religious?

This is your statement again: "Depends on who you ask. There are people still saying the earth is flat and using the bible to backup their views"
Re: New Law In Ohio by kumulus(m): 9:24am On Dec 05, 2019
LordReed:

They are not interchangeable because you are not referring to properties of physical processes. You are referring to things that are separate from physical properties.

Intangible I suppose should mean something that can't be touched or lacks PHYSICAL presence.... How did we arrive at physical processes or properties, could this be a deliberate attempt at making a convolution?

Mention one psychological diagnosis that has no physical root.

Narcissism

That's for you to figure out since you insist that they exist. Why do you expect me to tell you how you should prove the thing you insist exists and I don't believe exists?

Again, I say your mind is a wonderful tool at your disposal.

I used the method you supplied and arrived at a conclusion that is at odds with your assertions. It is left for you to figure out why your method does not work.

I would choose to believe the strength of atheism follows the path of objectivity and honesty, anything otherwise is aimed at creating confusion and a lack of willingness to be open-minded.

My question has always been for you to show that these things you call spirit are not results of physical processes. If they are the result of physical processes then spirit does not exist. Is that clear now?

Very clear sir! I would like to ask you this tho; does a man think because of what he becomes/became/even what he wants to be or he became this/that because of what he thinks?

I have answered this already, i didn't claim initiation of thoughts always arise from me. I claimed ownership of all my thoughts. The 2 are not the same.

Metaphysics is not science, its philosophy. You can philosophize all you want but when your thoughts intersect with reality then you must produce substance or else your philosophy remains a fantasy. I would have substance not fantasy, thank you very much.

I didn't say it is science, and you're welcome.
Re: New Law In Ohio by LordReed(m): 10:13am On Dec 05, 2019
JMAN05:

Their understanding of the sky being a hemisphere doesn't preclude them from thinking it is a flat plain covered by a dome. This is even how current flat earth believers say the earth is.

One thing is clear though, the bible leaves enough room for all manner of interpretation.
Re: New Law In Ohio by LordReed(m): 10:54am On Dec 05, 2019
Emusan:

When in reality you're the very one who needs to enroll in English class.

In reality you need to return to nursery school.

This is your statement again: "Depends on who you ask. There are people still saying the earth is flat and using the bible to backup their views"

Where in that statement did I exclude non religious flat earth believers?

Let me help your pathetic education. Consider this statement: There are people who say drinking tea is healthy and they have some studies to backup their views. How has that statement excluded people who drink tea for pleasure or who have no idea of the health benefits of the tea they drink from the set of tea drinkers?
Re: New Law In Ohio by LordReed(m): 11:13am On Dec 05, 2019
kumulus:

Intangible I suppose should mean something that can't be touched or lacks PHYSICAL presence.... How did we arrive at physical processes or properties, could this be a deliberate attempt at making a convolution?

Intangibles are results of physical processes. No physical process, no intangible. You can demonstrate the incorrectness of this by showing us an intangible that is divorced from any physical process.

Narcissism

https://www.livescience.com/37684-narcissistic-personality-disorder-brain-structure.html

People who suffer from narcissistic personality disorder, which is characterized by extreme arrogance and self-absorption, have structural abnormalities in a region of the brain that has been linked to empathy, a new study finds.

Again, I say your mind is a wonderful tool at your disposal.

Which I have used as per your direction.

I would choose to believe the strength of atheism follows the path of objectivity and honesty, anything otherwise is aimed at creating confusion and a lack of willingness to be open-minded.

Except when the honesty is at variance with your perceptions right?

Very clear sir! I would like to ask you this tho; does a man think because of what he becomes/became/even what he wants to be or he became this/that because of what he thinks?

This is one of them chicken or egg questions. A person has to exist first before his thoughts can exist and in the course of existing his thoughts influence his being.
Re: New Law In Ohio by Nobody: 1:19pm On Dec 05, 2019
LordReed:

Their understanding of the sky being a hemisphere doesn't preclude them from thinking it is a flat plain covered by a dome. This is even how current flat earth believers say the earth is.

One thing is clear though, the bible leaves enough room for all manner of interpretation.

I agree that people can make all manner of interpretation out of that which the Bible says, but not that such floodgate of interpretation is suggested by the Bible.

The Hebrew word when used for the heavens is clearly talking about a vault, so I think when said about the Earth, a globe should logically apply. Of course, I respect other people's right to there interpretation, but I don't think the Bible is to blame.

1 Like

Re: New Law In Ohio by LordReed(m): 1:39pm On Dec 05, 2019
JMAN05:

I agree that people can make all manner of interpretation out of that which the Bible says, but not that such floodgate of interpretation is suggested by the Bible.

The Hebrew word when used for the heavens is clearly talking about a vault, so I think when said about the Earth, a globe should logically apply. Of course, I respect other people's right to there interpretation, but I don't think the Bible is to blame.

Who then is to blame?
Re: New Law In Ohio by blessedlibra: 2:42pm On Dec 05, 2019
XxSabrinaxX:
https://local12.com/news/local/ohio-house-passes-bill-allowing-student-answers-to-be-scientifically-wrong-due-to-religion

This is so very sad! A student can’t be marked wrong if their answer is based on their religion but scientifically incorrect!

Have you ever lived in ibadan before? There's one Sabrina I know at NIIT
Re: New Law In Ohio by kumulus(m): 12:36am On Dec 07, 2019
LordReed:

Intangibles are results of physical processes. No physical process, no intangible. You can demonstrate the incorrectness of this by showing us an intangible that is divorced from any physical process.

Your stance from the onset was on the nonexistence of spirits (Intangibles).......it would seem we arrived at a consensus on that subject.

https://www.livescience.com/37684-narcissistic-personality-disorder-brain-structure.html

People who suffer from narcissistic personality disorder, which is characterized by extreme arrogance and self-absorption, have structural abnormalities in a region of the brain that has been linked to empathy, a new study finds.

That they have a structural abnormality does not indicate the source/cause of the abnormal. You will agree with me there are cases of narcissistic individuals who earlier on had normal brain structures, didn't suffer any physical mishap to the brain that could lead to such condition yet the subsequently are diagnosed for same. Consider a lady that was raped and thence became hateful towards men who she loved before the incident or a lady who became hateful and dreadful towards males because she repeatedly heard stories of women who were terribly abused by their lovers as she grew. I'm quite sure clinical sciences must have some explanation relating to some certain regions in the brain having abnormalities in their structure but that doesn't explain how the abnormalities developed/came to be since it wasn't like that earlier, otherwise you'd be saying such an individual's brain had been like that right from birth.

Which I have used as per your direction.

Except when the honesty is at variance with your perceptions right?

This is one of them chicken or egg questions. A person has to exist first before his thoughts can exist and in the course of existing his thoughts influence his being.

Who/what is a person?
Re: New Law In Ohio by LordReed(m): 6:19am On Dec 07, 2019
kumulus:

Your stance from the onset was on the nonexistence of spirits (Intangibles).......it would seem we arrived at a consensus on that subject.

Don't confuse yourself, my stance has not changed. My first reply to you concerning spirits was this:

There is no evidence of any sort of spirit. Mental illness is as far as we know are physical defects in the brain or brain functioning. We never see mental illness in brains functioning within normal parameters.

There is no evidence of spirits, intangibles are not spirits. Mental illness is not caused by spirits so there is no consensus here.

That they have a structural abnormality does not indicate the source/cause of the abnormal. You will agree with me there are cases of narcissistic individuals who earlier on had normal brain structures, didn't suffer any physical mishap to the brain that could lead to such condition yet the subsequently are diagnosed for same. Consider a lady that was raped and thence became hateful towards men who she loved before the incident or a lady who became hateful and dreadful towards males because she repeatedly heard stories of women who were terribly abused by their lovers as she grew. I'm quite sure clinical sciences must have some explanation relating to some certain regions in the brain having abnormalities in their structure but that doesn't explain how the abnormalities developed/came to be since it wasn't like that earlier, otherwise you'd be saying such an individual's brain had been like that right from birth.

My question was name a mental illness that has no physical component, narcissism has physical component as seen here. You don't get to dodge it. Either you name a mental illness that has no physical component or you concede the point.

BTW hatred is not a mental illness. Try again.

Who/what is a person?

A person is an autonomous individual.
Re: New Law In Ohio by kumulus(m): 11:48pm On Dec 07, 2019
[quote author=LordReed post=84695347]

Don't confuse yourself, my stance has not changed. My first reply to you concerning spirits (My bad, I was referring to this; Against the lack of evidence for a god {spiritual god}) was this:

There is no evidence of any sort of spirit. Mental illness is as far as we know are physical defects in the brain or brain functioning. We never see mental illness in brains functioning within normal parameters.

There is no evidence of spirits, intangibles are not spirits. Mental illness is not caused by spirits so there is no consensus here.

Like I stated earlier words over time had been terribly abused and misuse became inevitable, hence, they can be misleading/misinterpreted, one of such is spirit. You demanded I provide a method to prove their existence which I already told you I don't have one beyond the regions of the mind (yet, if there ever will be any). Even science will agree with me that to physically perceive an entity, light need reflect off such entity which in this case is impossible (I believe you possessed this understanding all along). While science deals with natural phenomena, philosophy is concerned with understanding the nature of man, existence (entities/forms which man exist) and the relationships between these two, hence its the only premise on which the entity (spirit) can be examined and understood. Its philosophy since it borders around studies(experimentation) carried out in the mind from which hypothesis are drawn and further observations(experiments) are made to test/ascertain this hypothesis. No one can deny that philosophy is what birth science, so saying only scientific explanations are infallible is not very apt in this case.

My question was name a mental illness that has no physical component, narcissism has physical component as seen here. You don't get to dodge it. Either you name a mental illness that has no physical component or you concede the point.
BTW hatred is not a mental illness. Try again.

There's no dodging anything here, my point from the beginning had been on the cause of these defects(physical components) experienced in the regions of brain as observed by clinical science. If you would revisit the early posts, you would see I sited an instance of an enraged man and you attributed it to mental illness (I believe that is where you got the message wrong, hence, you keep going on about mental illness and its physical components/processes).

Do understand this isn't a conquest for me.

A person is an autonomous individual.

Just in case you missed my point, I was talking about the meaning according to the origin of the word.
Re: New Law In Ohio by LordReed(m): 12:19pm On Dec 08, 2019
kumulus:
Like I stated earlier words over time had been terribly abused and misuse became inevitable, hence, they can be misleading/misinterpreted, one of such is spirit. You demanded I provide a method to prove their existence which I already told you I don't have one beyond the regions of the mind (yet, if there ever will be any). Even science will agree with me that to physically perceive an entity, light need reflect off such entity which in this case is impossible (I believe you possessed this understanding all along). While science deals with natural phenomena, philosophy is concerned with understanding the nature of man, existence (entities/forms which man exist) and the relationships between these two, hence its the only premise on which the entity (spirit) can be examined and understood. Its philosophy since it borders around studies(experimentation) carried out in the mind from which hypothesis are drawn and further observations(experiments) are made to test/ascertain this hypothesis. No one can deny that philosophy is what birth science, so saying only scientific explanations are infallible is not very apt in this case.

No scientist would ever say that the only way to physically perceive something is to have light fall on it. The electromagnetic spectrum is broader than the visible portion of it.

Not all philosophical concepts translate to reality. One must be able to distinguish between the what is merely a concept and what is reality. This is the question you are stuck with.

Where did I say "only scientific explanations are infallible"?

There's no dodging anything here, my point from the beginning had been on the cause of these defects(physical components) experienced in the regions of brain as observed by clinical science. If you would revisit the early posts, you would see I sited an instance of an enraged man and you attributed it to mental illness (I believe that is where you got the message wrong, hence, you keep going on about mental illness and its physical components/processes).

Do understand this isn't a conquest for me

I never attributed an enraged man's state to mental illness, don't put words in my mouth.

Very simple question to clear things: what is the cause of mental illness?

Just in case you missed my point, I was talking about the meaning according to the origin of the word.

Person Etymology
From Anglo-Norman parsone, persoun et al. (Old French persone (“human being”), French personne), and its source Latin persōna (“mask used by actor; role, part, character”), perhaps a loanword; compare Etruscan (φersu, “mask”). Displaced native wight (from Old English wiht (“person, human being”)). Doublet of parson and persona.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lol, Why Are The Christians Panicking? / Glamour And Spirituality As Pastor Odukoya Takes New Wife / Evolution Of The Eye By Sinequanon debunked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.