Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,337 members, 7,860,830 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 05:01 PM

The Real Case Against Allen Onyema: What the U.S Really Wants. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Real Case Against Allen Onyema: What the U.S Really Wants. (554 Views)

Allen Onyema: How I Made My Money To Start Air Peace / Allen Onyema Indicted For Bank Fraud And Money Laundering In America / Profile Of Allen Onyema (CEO Of Air Peace) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Real Case Against Allen Onyema: What the U.S Really Wants. by winner007: 1:55pm On Nov 24, 2019
After reading the totality of the 36 Page Indictment (charges) before a U.S Grand Jury, I can say this - The Case against Allen Onyema is quiet unfortunate.

My biggest takeaway is that this reinforces once again, the need for an Excellent Lawyer in all business transactions.

Here is Why - A priority for businesses after achieving a certain revenue level is the need to pay as little tax as possible. E.g Amazon made a profit in 2018, of $8bn USD and paid a whooping $0 in Taxes on that profit. There are established channels for legally escaping tax e.g Ireland (a tax haven) which Google utilizes to pay its Ad Partners (Adsense Partners).

Allen Onyema set up Companies in the U.S to transfer Legal money from Nigeria. He however most likely didn't employ the services of a good U.S Law firm and the transactions were thus, done shabbily. There is nothing inherently legally wrong in setting up Shell companies for tax purposes. What is wrong is HOW they are done. This is where a splendid Lawyer would come in.

There is lots of poverty in Nigeria and people have a special ear for fraud involving rich people but hardly was any Intentional fraud committed.
The funds wired from Nigeria were real funds. Hence why the Law breached and the count read thus (in page 21):
To commit offenses against the United States in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 1014.

The above Law is not a criminal offense. It is a civil offense. So why was a criminal charge brought? I would argue For Maximum effect.

It is interesting to note that the U.S seeks forfeiture of over $15million USD held in Bank Accounts belonging to Onyema in the U.S.
THAT IS THEIR ONLY GOAL AND THE PUNISHMENT UNDER SECTION 1014 mentioned above.

It is therefore time for the Nigerian Govt. to step up and protect its own from the Sharks of the U.S Finance System.

Mr. Onyema could have been saved by a good Lawyer, from this embarrassment and saved the extra expenses to be incurred in defending a criminal trial. Allen Onyema as a Lawyer, may have had an Intellectual problem that happens to all Lawyers that venture into business - What is there? I can do it or draft it by myself. In any business transaction, never do this. Business is business, Law is law.

- Barr. Izundu writes from Abuja.

Re: The Real Case Against Allen Onyema: What the U.S Really Wants. by angelEmade: 2:00pm On Nov 24, 2019
very informative.... we all must bear in mind that big wealth comes with great responsibilities.
Re: The Real Case Against Allen Onyema: What the U.S Really Wants. by winner007: 2:16pm On Nov 24, 2019
angelEmade:
very informative....
we all must bear in mind that big wealth comes with great responsibilities.

Exactly. Great care must always be taken at all times to avoid stories that touch like this.
Re: The Real Case Against Allen Onyema: What the U.S Really Wants. by dollytino4real(f): 2:24pm On Nov 24, 2019
who is this person? himself and Evans who bad pass
Re: The Real Case Against Allen Onyema: What the U.S Really Wants. by daddytime(m): 2:42pm On Nov 24, 2019
Reactors everywhere...

Nice piece though..
Re: The Real Case Against Allen Onyema: What the U.S Really Wants. by winner007: 3:28pm On Nov 24, 2019
daddytime:
Reactors everywhere...

Nice piece though..

Thank you. The issue is that most people haven't read the full letters of the Indictment. I started digging deep looking for dirt but I was disappointed to not find any real meat. The whole thing is just a ploy to seize the money domicled in the U.S.

Allen onyeme is however at fault for not double checking and retaining the services of the best U.S professionals. This is what cost cutting can cause. He will have to do so now and pay more.

(1) (Reply)

Jumia Closes Down It's Services In Rwanda. / Help How Should I Go About This / Buying BTC In Bulk At Sweet Rates ||| Sell Your BTC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.