Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,004 members, 7,814,424 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:41 PM

The National Health Insurance Scheme in Nigeria (NHIS) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The National Health Insurance Scheme in Nigeria (NHIS) (461 Views)

Health Experts Call For Cancer Treatment In Nigeria’s NHIS / Biography Of Prof. Mohammed Nasir Sambo: The New NHIS Boss (Photo) / National Health Advancement Conference (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The National Health Insurance Scheme in Nigeria (NHIS) by OomaJ19(m): 3:37pm On Nov 24, 2019
The National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) is a corporate body established under Act 35 of 1999 Constitution by the Federal Government of Nigeria to improve the health of all Nigerians at an affordable cost.

However, NHIS is to provide social health insurance in Nigeria where contributors ‘ health care services are paid out of the general pool of funds provided by Scheme participants.

Furthermore, it is also a pre-payment plan where participants pay a fixed sum regularly. The amount/funds are pooled so that the Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs) can pay for those in need of medical care. It is essentially a mechanism of risk sharing that can boost the allocation of capital and equity. Yes, it is considered the most commonly used method of funding for health care throughout the world.

In addition, NHIS controls HMO-operated private health insurance. HMOs should have a hyperlink to the HMOs list on the web. Health Insurance is a social security system that guarantees that individuals are provided with the appropriate health services at regular intervals by making nominal contributions.

Objectives of the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS)

shocked Ensuring equitable distribution of health care costs among different income groups
shocked For appropriate patronage of all levels of health care
shocked Improving and harness private sector participation in the provision of health care services
shocked It makes sure there is an equitable distribution of health facilities within the Federation
shocked Limiting the rise in the cost of health care services
shocked Maintaining high standards of health care delivery services within the Scheme
shocked Making sure health care services are efficient
shocked Protecting families from the financial hardship of huge medical bills
shocked To ensure that every Nigerian has access to good health care services
shocked To make available funds to the health sector for improved services

Programs of the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS)

To ensure that every Nigerian have access to good health care services, the National Health Insurance Scheme has developed various program to cover different segments of the society and these includes;

1. Formal Sector

i. Formal Sector Social Health Insurance Programme
ii. The National Mobile Health Insurance
iii. Voluntary Contributors to Social Health Insurance Programmes (VCSHIP)

2. Informal Sector

i. Tertiary Institution Social Health Insurance Programmes
ii. Community-Based Social Health Insurance Programmes

3. Vulnerable Group

i. Physically Challenged Persons Social Health Insurance Programme(PCPSHIP)
ii. Prison Inmates Social Health Insurance Programme(PISHIP)
iii. Children Under Five (5) Social Health Insurance Programme
(CUFSHIP)
iv. Pregnant Women
v. Retirees
vi. Aged

That is not all folks. Kindly read the full article to know all about NHIS. Get answers to your numerous questions pertaining to NHIS and how you can participate/register in the NHIS program. CLICK HERE==> https://www.moshinfohub.com/?p=70

Re: The National Health Insurance Scheme in Nigeria (NHIS) by wanger50(m): 4:09pm On Nov 24, 2019
I'm an enrollee,of late my HCF has not had a Doctor and my HMO seems helpless about it.What are the options open to me?
Re: The National Health Insurance Scheme in Nigeria (NHIS) by OomaJ19(m): 4:15pm On Nov 24, 2019
wanger50:
I'm an enrollee,of late my HCF has not had a Doctor and my HMO seems helpless about it. What are the options open to me?

I will personally suggest you go to the website or click on the source URL. From their website, you will see options to contact them, from there you can explain better to them and i am sure they will do something about it.
Re: The National Health Insurance Scheme in Nigeria (NHIS) by femi214: 7:44am On Nov 25, 2019
Good morning,
What's the difference between NHIS and HMO?
Can my husband HMO cover my pregnancy and delivery.
Re: The National Health Insurance Scheme in Nigeria (NHIS) by OomaJ19(m): 8:09pm On Nov 25, 2019
femi214:
Good morning,
What's the difference between NHIS and HMO?
Can my husband HMO cover my pregnancy and delivery.

Firstly, the difference is that HMO is the link between the enrollee, healthcare facility and the NHIS. Secondly, every HMO has their own policy, if your husband HMO covers pregnancy then you can be benefitted but if it doesn't cover pregnancy then you have to go for your. In summary, everything depends on the HMO policy and the type of HMO your husband operate.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Drink A Single Glass Gain Weight At The Right Places / Dental Fillings Treatment / Lagos Embarks On Massive Recruitment For Health Sector

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.