Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,025 members, 7,818,027 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:26 AM

Still On The Air Peace Chairman's Matter, A Banker's Perspective - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Still On The Air Peace Chairman's Matter, A Banker's Perspective (756 Views)

Yahoo Boys In Benin Throw Money Into The Air (Video) / Sunday Adakole Ada Who Killed Two Youths In Otukpo Says He Was Warming The Air / Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Still On The Air Peace Chairman's Matter, A Banker's Perspective by tunderay(m): 9:28pm On Nov 24, 2019
*Copied !*

Now guys,

I was a Banker and still a finance man so I know the game. This is what played out here.

This may not be what it seems at all. It seems like a "normal " Nigerian business man practise.
Many people will be indicted if this is considered a fraud.

It is essentially a deception of the Nigerian banking system but which even bank executives are aware of and get their share and the bank loses nothing at the end of the day. The american system is not defrauded by a single penny .This is how it works.

1. Mr x wants to buy 6 airplanes for his business. The cost of air planes is $1m each so total of $6m.

2. He approaches the bank for a loan but says the planes are $12m

3. He cannot get an invoice from the airplane manufacturer for that value, so he gets his own registered company abroad to issue an invoice to his company in Nigeria for the $12m . He does not claim his company abroad is an aerioplane manufacturer, but rather an aviation trading company who will supply the planes

4. Bank gives him a properly executed loan for the naira equivalent of $12m which he has to pay back and will probably also provide some guarantees and additional security and provides the fx either by transfer or by letter of credit.

5. The $ 12m is released and transferred abroad to his company ( the seller) , the company pays the $6m to the manufacturer and actually does acquire the airplanes and $ 6m balance is sent to his own personal account.

The result is that the company in Nigeria which he owns is now obligated to pay back a loan of $12m instead of $6m and as long as they pay, everyone is happy including the banks who have given out a hefty loan and make their interest,the senior bankers who approved it without the due diligence of insisting the invoice should be from a manufacturer and also checking international prices for such, the manufacturer who has sold airplanes and been paid and the businessman who has made a $6m dollar advance profit on his business before it even starts.

The real problem is that the business case for the airline may not be able to support the repayment of $12m in the loan period but would have done so if the loan was only $6m. The business then fails as a result, goes into liquidation, the bank has only the asset to fall back on which is in reality on the open market below the loan value, but the biz man has his $6m and is enjoying life.

Its essentially called " over invoicing" and at least 80 percent of business people here do it. The main difference however is that most times , the invoice comes from the manufacturer directly and the amount on top is probably about 2 to 5 percent of the real value , which after the manufacturer receives payment, they now pay out as commission to the businessman.
I assure you many children's FX school. fees were paid like this.

Its just that "big boys" want to take control of the whole chain and slap up hefty margins that no sane manufacturer would allow or invoice for.

He has technically not laundered any money. It is a victimless "crime" except upon himself who may have compromised his own business and saddled himself with future large loans to repay just to live large immediately,and of course bank shareholders who have to write off the bad loan if the business fails. The executives will then be called to answer how they approved such a loan.
Another failsafe option is that he takes the fx which was aquired at bank rate and then resells it on the black market for a hefty margin. Pays the bank the equivalent of $6m at bank rate imeediately reducing the naira loan to $6m and pockets the spread on the fx sale.!! This way, he has even made money ( not nearly as much as keeping the $6m) through the system without exposing his co to excessive loans !!!
This is why you see so many rich Nigerians without any real operating businss with large business that have totally failed but they are still able to live the good life with ease.

American govt will probably indict him on a technicallity of moving fumds but not really of a crime as such within their system.

So you see he is already denying it and he is right logically and legally.

2 Likes

Re: Still On The Air Peace Chairman's Matter, A Banker's Perspective by Sageboss(m): 9:36pm On Nov 24, 2019
Wow grin grin
Re: Still On The Air Peace Chairman's Matter, A Banker's Perspective by Aol360: 9:39pm On Nov 24, 2019
Thank you for the enlightenment. This issue is making us aware of tricks used in the business world.

2 Likes

Re: Still On The Air Peace Chairman's Matter, A Banker's Perspective by daddytime(m): 9:51pm On Nov 24, 2019
Hmmm

Another plausible angle.

Op edit the word in your header to perspective.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Still On The Air Peace Chairman's Matter, A Banker's Perspective by tooth4tooth: 10:06pm On Nov 24, 2019
Frankly,to be very rich ,your hands has to be dirty.

This is an easy way to liquidate a bank.

2 Likes

Re: Still On The Air Peace Chairman's Matter, A Banker's Perspective by asamwababy: 11:17pm On Nov 24, 2019
I agree with the OP but in addition it might technically not be a means of over invoicing but more of money laundering which involves moving money for politicians.

That excess 6m usd will be transferred to a country like sychelles to a politicians account at a price say 60/40 while the politician here pays the naira equivalent to the company account in bits disguising it as payment for charter services through his coy.

Remember it will be difficult for the politician to source such dollars from the black market easily and transfer the funds and wont want to have any dealings with BDC's to avoid giving efcc any easy evidence to lash unto.

Very rampant with CCI issuance where coy inflow more than they need just to help corrupt individual move stolen proceeds.
Re: Still On The Air Peace Chairman's Matter, A Banker's Perspective by Nobody: 11:22pm On Nov 24, 2019
Banker, the issue now is how was he able to convince them over there to loan him a huge sum of $12M. FYI, wire fraud is when you create fake accounts/legal documents to obtain money from bank. They don't care about your "good intention" but the process you took to obtain the money. You needed $6M but collected $12 and kept the remaining for your personal use. Nigerians!! The whole transaction lacked transparency.

3 Likes

Re: Still On The Air Peace Chairman's Matter, A Banker's Perspective by pocohantas(f): 7:10am On Nov 25, 2019
Finance guy indeed...
Re: Still On The Air Peace Chairman's Matter, A Banker's Perspective by Mynd44: 7:51am On Nov 25, 2019
From the point 3, you have started committing fraud.

Have a great day

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Still On The Air Peace Chairman's Matter, A Banker's Perspective by Okite15(m): 2:55pm On Nov 25, 2019
Lol, CFO!
Re: Still On The Air Peace Chairman's Matter, A Banker's Perspective by Prokaryote: 7:42pm On Nov 25, 2019
Very educative.....

1 Like

Re: Still On The Air Peace Chairman's Matter, A Banker's Perspective by tiger28: 5:25am On Nov 26, 2019
Prokaryote:
Very educative..... I wish my father had this business knowledge like Mr Onyema, I wouldn't have been where I am now. #ijustpitymyfatherinthegrave#
You would have been VISITING your father IN JAIL by now! Don't mind the OP pls, a CRIME has been committed here. It's just our Nigerian low level of morality that is at play here But America no send our Nigerian ways.
Re: Still On The Air Peace Chairman's Matter, A Banker's Perspective by DonroxyII: 3:02pm On Nov 26, 2019
Prokaryote:
Very educative..... I wish my father had this business knowledge like Mr Onyema, I wouldn't have been where I am now. #ijustpitymyfatherinthegrave#
You that now have the business knowledge like Mr Onyeama , do something about it so your children will not be where you are now before dem also start pitying you in ya grave grin
Re: Still On The Air Peace Chairman's Matter, A Banker's Perspective by Mursz: 4:42pm On Nov 26, 2019
asamwababy:
I agree with the OP but in addition it might technically not be a means of over invoicing but more of money laundering which

Very rampant with CCI issuance where coy inflow more than they need just to help corrupt individual move stolen proceeds.

You made sense my broda!
Re: Still On The Air Peace Chairman's Matter, A Banker's Perspective by Prokaryote: 8:20pm On Nov 26, 2019
DonroxyII:
You that now have the business knowledge like Mr Onyeama , do something about it so your children will not be where you are now before dem also start pitying you in ya grave grin
lol, am already changing the story

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

“I Am Educated And Responsible” : Lady Confronts SARS Officers / Man Severs Ears Of His 10-year-old Son, Burns His Fingers For Stealing His Money / Is Ashawo Work By An Adult Legal In Nigeria ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.