Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,149 members, 7,818,453 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:12 PM

Nairaland Suggestion (display User Comments By Likes Instead Of Response Time) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nairaland Suggestion (display User Comments By Likes Instead Of Response Time) (532 Views)

Nasty Comments By LP Members Made Us Adopt Sanwo-olu: Accord Party / See The Full Video Of Response From Governor Wike To The Former Governor Akpabio / Disturbing Comments By Nigerians On Zamfara Attacks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Suggestion (display User Comments By Likes Instead Of Response Time) by beethoven: 4:22am On Nov 26, 2019
Seun and other Mods,
Having been a member of this forum for a longtime, and seeing how some other members have been derailing interesting and important topics with FTC and other inappropriate comments, I think it is time for a change, that will keep topics posted interesting and more engaging. It might also serve as the basis for moving a topic to front-page.

Here is my proposal:
User comments for a topic should be displayed (by default) sorted in descending order by number of likes. This way, comments that bubble to the top for a particular topic are interesting comments that people like (and have shared), while those that are less interesting like those booking space will be sunk to the bottom. This will be beneficial to users and mods, because it will force members to write meaningful comments if they want their comments to remain in the first page. I believe it will drive more traffic to Nairaland (and more ads), because there is a guarantee that when people open topics, they will see the most interesting comments first (Not FTC, M . h, I dedicate this to my ancestors etc etc), and they will be able to provide even more interesting responses.

As an added feature, you can provide multiple views (to display by response time (current default), and by number of likes) but most importantly, the default view has to be by likes and shares (you can break ties by response time).

Guys what do you think?

Mods please move to front-page

Mynd44
Seun

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Suggestion (display User Comments By Likes Instead Of Response Time) by nlPoster: 4:28am On Nov 26, 2019
You folks are too obsessed with likes.

Do you not get tired of saying the same thing continuously?

Why not open your own forum where you can like all day.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Suggestion (display User Comments By Likes Instead Of Response Time) by beethoven: 4:36am On Nov 26, 2019
nlPoster:
You folks are too obsessed with likes.

Do you not get tired of saying the same thing continuously?

Why not open your own forum where you can like all day.

I think you are missing the point! Please take your time to read what was suggested. It is not about the number of likes, it is about improving the quality of the contents created/posted in Nairaland. Would you rather open a thread, and the first set of comments you see are good ones (that people love) or would you rather see a bunch of people posting letters (to reserve space) or worst still dedicating comments to their ancestors and shouting FTC up and down? Think about this.

4 Likes

Re: Nairaland Suggestion (display User Comments By Likes Instead Of Response Time) by Nobody: 4:41am On Nov 26, 2019
beethoven:

I think you are missing the point! Please take your time to read what was suggested. It is not about the number of likes, it is about improving the quality of the contents created/posted in Nairaland. Would you rather open a thread, and the first set of comments you see are good ones (that people love) or would you rather see a bunch of people posting letters (to reserve space) or worst still dedicating comments to their ancestors and shouting FTC up and down? Think about this.

Dont really see a point... people comment based on what they feel not really what gathers likes... the solution to a certain problem may not be likeable by people.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Suggestion (display User Comments By Likes Instead Of Response Time) by ba7man(m): 4:45am On Nov 26, 2019
beethoven:

Some people write sensible posts that don't get much likes.

Some will write nonsense and it will gather loads of likes from fans of nonsense.

Online likes aren't a way of judging the relevance of a post.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Suggestion (display User Comments By Likes Instead Of Response Time) by yenereal(m): 5:47am On Nov 26, 2019
Mine is that they should change their emojis. Replace "Quote" with "Comment". Their "Share" doesn't work at all. "Share" should be made in such a way that one can share the comment to another person (that's how share works). There should be a direct way one can upload a video.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Suggestion (display User Comments By Likes Instead Of Response Time) by netpro(m): 6:11am On Nov 26, 2019
There is a movie, the society lived by Likes. Almost everyone were hypocritical.

Just like your suggestion, it does not end well. Most people will be commenting for Likes and not about a valid Opinion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Suggestion (display User Comments By Likes Instead Of Response Time) by tpiar: 6:17am On Nov 26, 2019
beethoven:

How do likes improve content when about 30% of the two million monikers are simply for followership of other monikers?

Meaning whatever certain ids post, even if its nonsense, they'll get nonsensical likes while better topics and comments would be relegated to obscurity by these same trolls?

It's just a takeover of the forum and its eventual decline.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Suggestion (display User Comments By Likes Instead Of Response Time) by beethoven: 8:17pm On Nov 26, 2019
netpro:
There is a movie, the society lived by Likes. Almost everyone were hypocritical.

Just like your suggestion, it does not end well. Most people will be commenting for Likes and not about a valid Opinion.

tpiar:

How do likes improve content when about 30% of the two million monikers are simply for followership of other monikers?

Meaning whatever certain ids post, even if its nonsense, they'll get nonsensical likes while better topics and comments would be relegated to obscurity by these same trolls?

It's just a takeover of the forum and its eventual decline.

Go and checkout how youtube bubbles up top comments, look at the trend for how they sort the comments (based on likes). You will see that most times (no always) they are spot-on displaying comments in that order. If Google (whose 80% revenue comes from ads) and do that with youtube, there is no harm in Nairaland trying.

And yes a few people will comment for likes, but for most it will not be about being first to comment so their responses will be in the first page, it will be about taking time to respond knowing that if the response makes sense to people, they get to be on the first page of the comments to a topic.
Re: Nairaland Suggestion (display User Comments By Likes Instead Of Response Time) by Daviddson(m): 8:38pm On Nov 26, 2019
Nairaland needs a lot of face-lift - emoji, hashtag, mention using @ (almost every social media platform now uses @), blocking people from following you or sending you a PM, being able to read PM within Nairaland without being directed to your email, verification badge for govt accounts such as npowerng, presidency, etc.
Re: Nairaland Suggestion (display User Comments By Likes Instead Of Response Time) by SarkinYarki: 8:57pm On Nov 26, 2019
beethoven:
Seun and other Mods,
Having been a member of this forum for a longtime, and seeing how some other members have been derailing interesting and important topics with FTC and other inappropriate comments, I think it is time for a change, that will keep topics posted interesting and more engaging. It might also serve as the basis for moving a topic to front-page.

Here is my proposal:
User comments for a topic should be displayed (by default) sorted in descending order by number of likes. This way, comments that bubble to the top for a particular topic are interesting comments that people like (and have shared), while those that are less interesting like those booking space will be sunk to the bottom. This will be beneficial to users and mods, because it will force members to write meaningful comments if they want their comments to remain in the first page. I believe it will drive more traffic to Nairaland (and more ads), because there is a guarantee that when people open topics, they will see the most interesting comments first (Not FTC, M . h, I dedicate this to my ancestors etc etc), and they will be able to provide even more interesting responses.

As an added feature, you can provide multiple views (to display by response time (current default), and by number of likes) but most importantly, the default view has to be by likes and shares (you can break ties by response time).

Guys what do you think?

Mods please move to front-page

Mynd44
Seun

My friend go and open ya own forum and do what U like there
Re: Nairaland Suggestion (display User Comments By Likes Instead Of Response Time) by Magicians: 9:13pm On Nov 26, 2019
Quality of content like foolish igbo making commenting such as Buhari is a killer n a murderer generating 300 likes ba ?! Many of you deluded Igbos think every one should deliberately chose to be foolish because you have chosen to be

beethoven:

Re: Nairaland Suggestion (display User Comments By Likes Instead Of Response Time) by Ajibel(m): 9:22pm On Nov 26, 2019
I don't agree because there won't be a balance in the comments while scrolling through. A thread could be perceived as one sided if this should happen take for instance an anti-buhari thread. Such thread would see more comments from people who disparage him and they'll have more likes than a buharist who may have posted something more sensible on that thread.
Re: Nairaland Suggestion (display User Comments By Likes Instead Of Response Time) by ebije2(m): 12:02am On Nov 27, 2019
How much per like?
Re: Nairaland Suggestion (display User Comments By Likes Instead Of Response Time) by beethoven: 1:12am On Nov 27, 2019
Magicians:
Quality of content like foolish igbo making commenting such as Buhari is a killer n a murderer generating 300 likes ba ?! Many of you deluded Igbos think every one should deliberately chose to be foolish because you have chosen to be

You think because this is an online forum, you are free to run your stinking mouth anyhow without any consequences. I can see how bright you are, thinking everyone else that is not from your family is Igbo. If you don't agree with what was suggested, can't you just say so quietly without insulting people from other tribes? Dumb motherfucker.
Re: Nairaland Suggestion (display User Comments By Likes Instead Of Response Time) by gaddafe(m): 2:41am On Nov 27, 2019
I would be surprised if seun does not respond to this as this idea will even limit the tribal hate been displayed here.

(1) (Reply)

Hahahaha! My Able Major-general Muhammadu Buhari. I Hail Ohhhhhh!!! / Again, Who Killed Bola Ige? / A’Ibom Rerun: Coalition of Candidates Calls for REC, Igini’s Replacement (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.