Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,081 members, 7,828,803 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:26 PM

Analysing The Proposed Hate Speech Bill, Dr. Omole - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Analysing The Proposed Hate Speech Bill, Dr. Omole (198 Views)

Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats / Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate / Hate Speech Bill: Senate Urges Nigerians To Be Patient (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Analysing The Proposed Hate Speech Bill, Dr. Omole by shehuolayinka(m): 2:51pm On Nov 26, 2019
I was recently sent (by a reliable source) a copy of the Hate Speech (Prohibition) Bill, 2019 going through the National Bill popularly known as the “Hate Speech Bill”. The website of the National Assembly does not have a copy of the Bill for download (I checked again today); so I am going by the version sent to me by this previously reliable source. Let me be clear from the start that I am opposed to this Bill. It will cause more confusion and it is unnecessary. But rather than simple emotional outbursts; I will instead like to explain some of the problems with the Bill in a constructive way.

Do we have some problems with Incitement to violence in Nigeria? YES we do. So this bill is not completely unfounded. But I believe we have enough laws to deal with these matters,included the Cyber Crime Act signed by GEJ few years ago. Lack of enforcement of extant laws cannot simply be replaced by new laws. Is there really a need to produce a new law specifically for Hate Speeches? I don’t think so.

Hate speech does exist and freedom of expression may sometimes be curtailed whenever there is an epidemic of the uttering of hate speech whether verbally or in print that might endanger public safety, unity and national security.

Hate Speeches is even more dangerous in a society full of illiterate population like Nigeria where falsehood can be easily weaponised. Legislation can be passed and prosecutions initiated as a last resort and in a proportionate way.

In Nigeria; there are enough existing legislation to deal with these concerns if enforced by Government.
Due to previous feedback on length, I will make this Thread as brief as possible. So here are some of my salient observations.

1. The Bill fails to take notice of the global Jurisprudence on this kind of legislation. The criminalisation of “Insulting and Abusive” statements is an affront to free speech. It is one thing to criminalise “Threatening” statements, but Abusive and Insulting statements are difficult to define in Law, because like beauty it can be in the eye of the beholder. What is abusive or insulting to one may not be to another. So how can the court in a consistent way determine if a statement is Insulting? It is such a subjective concept.

2. The Bill focuses on Victimisation of complainants or officials of the new commission as well as Harassment of Nigerians on the basis of Ethnicity and Race; BUT it DOES NOT make any mention of several other globally accepted basis of harassment & discrimination such as:

a. Religious Harassment
b. Harassment on basis of Disability or Disfigurement
c. Gender-based Harassment and so on.
So simply focusing on Race & Ethnicity is meaningless & inchoate. If u want to deal with Harassment; then do so in ALL its manifestations & not such a narrow scope

3. While it explains that Individuals and Corporate Bodies can be liable under this proposed law; the Bill does not include the Government itself or State Agents as liable. Why should there be one rule for Nigerians but a different one for government bodies.

The EXPRESS mention that the Government ( who can be the biggest culprit) is included in liable parties will be needed to satisfy Equity. What is good for the goose, is good for the gander. The Government should be able to be sued for discrimination and harassment too.

4. With punishment from FIVE years imprisonment to Death Penalty; I believe this is an overkill. The punishment in this case does not fit the crime. Establishing Causation will be a challenge even with Vicarious liability imposed by this Bill. This needed to be toned down.

If you are charged with Theft of N1Billion, the maximum sentence is 7yrs; yet you can be sentenced to 5yrs for insulting a Person. This is madness and legislative recklessness.

5. The Bill looks like another gravy train to bleed our commonwealth with the establishment of yet another Agency. 85% of the Bill is spent on the Agency itself. More attention should have been paid to define terms properly. It seems the attention is less on the crimes it is to investigate

READ MORE: https://thebelltimesng.com/2019/11/26/analysing-the-proposed-hate-speech-bill/

Re: Analysing The Proposed Hate Speech Bill, Dr. Omole by JonDon12: 3:05pm On Nov 26, 2019
If Fela was alive and the hate speech bill passes, they would have hung him. This is ffk means when he talks about islamicisation of nigeria. This zuwo went to mecca on hajj and came back with hate bill

(1) (Reply)

Four lawmakers share one toilet, Speaker tells Abiodun / Nigeria's Top Looters (aka Public Enemies) & People Power / Why “almighty” Akpabio And Co Are Scared Of Igini

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.