Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,832 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:12 PM

3 Black Men Falsely Convicted Of Murder Set Free After 36 Years In Prison - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 3 Black Men Falsely Convicted Of Murder Set Free After 36 Years In Prison (416 Views)

Alleged Sex In Car On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway: It Was A Case Of Murder & Suicide / Man Searched Quran For Forgiveness Of Murder, Before Slashing Ex-wife's Throat / Edo Jailbreak: Prisoners Speak After They Were Set Free (Videos, Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Black Men Falsely Convicted Of Murder Set Free After 36 Years In Prison by kilisi(m): 5:58pm On Nov 26, 2019
Alfred Chestnut, Andrew Stewart and Ransom Watkins had been sentenced to life in 1984 for killing a 14-year-old boy a year earlier.

They were freed in Baltimore on Monday after a judge cleared their convictions following a review of their case. The case was reopened this year after Mr Chestnut sent a letter to Baltimore's Conviction Integrity Unit. He included evidence he had uncovered last year.

Mr Chestnut, Mr Stewart and Mr Watkins were arrested as teenagers in November 1983 following the death of DeWitt Duckett, who was shot in the neck on his way to class at a Baltimore junior high school and had his Georgetown University jacket stolen.

DeWitt's death received widespread press coverage. It was the first fatal shooting of a student in a Baltimore public school.
"These three men were convicted, as children, because of police and prosecutorial misconduct," Baltimore state attorney Marilyn Mosby said after the men were released.

In a statement, her office said "detectives targeted the three men, all 16-year-old black boys, using coaching and coercion of other teenage witnesses to make their case".
Prosecutors said during the initial investigation police ignored and withheld reports from multiple witnesses identifying another person as the killer, and that trial witnesses failed to identify the three teenagers in photo line-ups.
All trial witness have now recanted evidence, Ms Mosby said.
"I don't think that today is a victory, it's a tragedy. And we need to own up to our responsibility for it," she said.
The other suspect died in 2002.

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50557396

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 3 Black Men Falsely Convicted Of Murder Set Free After 36 Years In Prison by iamJ(m): 6:00pm On Nov 26, 2019
america own is always painful

imagine going to jail for a crime u didnt commit, thats why i dont like knowing people, i'm a loner, i dont have strength for plenty stories
Re: 3 Black Men Falsely Convicted Of Murder Set Free After 36 Years In Prison by kilisi(m): 6:09pm On Nov 26, 2019
iamJ:
america own is always painful

imagine going to jail for a crime u didnt commit, thats why i dont like knowing people, i'm a loner, i dont have strength for plenty stories

angry angry angry

Imagine spending 36 years of one's lifetime behind bars for a crime you know nothing about!

And since they were teenagers when they were sentenced, it means the most productive parts of their life spent in prison for wrong conviction!!!

1 Like

Re: 3 Black Men Falsely Convicted Of Murder Set Free After 36 Years In Prison by Catchfirez: 6:30pm On Nov 26, 2019
Some mumu Nigerians go dey shout say, American police even FBI can't be wrong. Like say americans na God.

(1) (Reply)

Border Closure: See How Petrol Is Smuggled In Coffin / "Arrest Robbers Wearing Corpers Uniform To Attack Kogi Communities" - NYSC / Woman ‘kidnapped Her Best Pal’s Newborn Baby And Faked Pregnancy’ Before...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.