Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:31 AM

Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics (33674 Views)

Second Niger Bridge Julius Berger Made Provision For Train Tunnel(video) / Julius Berger Switches On The Streetlights On The Second Niger Bridge (Pictures / Julius Berger To Divert Another Section Of Lagos – Ibadan Expressway Monday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by romme2u: 9:40am On Nov 27, 2019
BeachTime:
I think having a modest population is actually cool and something to be proud of ,instead of an overcrowded city.
As for "Ibibio" do you mean the combination of ,Efik,oron,Annang,Ibibio ?If so,i'm not sure if it's the 4th largest . And Ibibio is a wrong term to use . Since there's no official name , the Ethnic group or nation is known as Calabar and sometimes Akwacross.
Nigerian educational system is flawed and needs to be revised. I, an American born & raised know more about Africa than most Nigerians .
Calabar (Ibibio,Oron,Efik,Annang) is an ethnic group or nation , similarly : Yoruba,Igbo ,Fang ,Swede,Dutch,Yamato( Japanese),Korean ,Tagalog , Punjabi,etc. Africa was colonized and merged into artificial countries for selfish gains .
All ethnic groups have communities ,each community have clans and clans have chiefdom or villages,villages have extended families and extended families have nuclear families all the way down to the individual. For example ,Ibibio is a dialect and community of Calabar,Oron is a community and dialect of Calabar,Efik is a Community and dialect of Calabar,Annang is a dialect and community of Calabar . There's no official Calabar language but the most popular dialect is Efik and now Ibibio due to larger population.If a synthetic official language is created it would most likely contain 40 percent ibibio,20 percent Efik,20 percent annang and 20 percent Oron).
The same method described above is applicable to every ethnic nation in the world . Every single language in the world has dialects and some of the dialects are usually more popular than others .The official language is usually based on the most popular dialect and then some of the others . For example , Igbo is an ethnic group nation with communities and dialects such as :Ngwa,Onicha,Owerre,Udi,Igbere,Nsukka,Abakeleke,Aro,Mbaise,etc. the most popular dialect in the group is Onicha and a bit of Owerre, and the official synthetic igbo language which was created around 40 years ago is based on that dialect and hen some of the others .
the same is applicable to Spanish( Andalusian,Cantabrian,Canarian,etc. )the most popular dialect is Andalusian and the official synthetic Spanish language is base on that and a few of the others . The same method is applicable to Yamato(Japanese),Swede,Korean ,and all ethnic nations on earth.
My point of the above explanation is to buttress the fact that Efik,Oron,Annang and Ibibio are each not ethnic group but communities that make up an ethnic nation. That they are one indivisible people and nation bound by one and the same destiny; and that it's wrong for any community of the group to make up names such as Oron nation, annang nation, Efik nation or Ibibio nation. The correct term should be Calabar nation or Akwacross nation .

It is better for you to stop peddling infomation you are not well versed in......................................................as all this conjecture is your head.

A dumbo is considered wise when silent over issues he/she is not well conversant with
Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by Neshietdebayzman(m): 9:40am On Nov 27, 2019
IbyOneGod:
Udom is a fool by removing the fly over from Ik city to Ekom Iman village when his campaign promise was basely on that.
LOL. Ete kpeme inua mfo

2 Likes

Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by Gerrard59(m): 9:41am On Nov 27, 2019
BeachTime:
Akwa Ibom is sparsely populated .I believe the real population is 2 Million .Although the overall population of natives worldwide may amount to 5 Million. Its landmass is the same size as Los Angeles city proper . It can hold over 30 million people comfortably.
If I had the power, my method would be to demolish and rebuild from scratch In grid style like my sketch. Hopefully will be done as part of the Calabar Mega city project.
For now ,my comment is in regards to the current situation : Keep the money in Akwa ibom by using only Akwa ibom construction companies,and with time they'll improve ( Believe in yourself and quit slave/colonial mentality). Another option which I personally prefer is to create government agencies such as :Akwa Ibom Construction Corporation , Akwa Ibom Electric Company , Akwa bank , Akwa Ibom Transport Commission,Akwa Ibom police Service, Akwa Ibom Construction Council(to approve,oversee and implement building codes).
The Construction agency would be responsible for all construction and maintenance ,and would employ thousands of Akwa ibom Engineering professionals . And of course the government has to implement a good taxing system to boost the economy.
With that,all the money would stay and grow within Akwa Ibom.

It shows Ikot ekpene population as 300,000 on Wikepedia. The housing development in my sketch can house 50,000 residents, and it cost 100 Million dollars to develop. That means 6 of those would house everyone in Ikot Ekpne ,instead of the sprawling rusted roofs in the backdrop of the OP's photos.

I hope you know that it's unconstitutional to create a state police and the least one most governments do is to assemble touts and riff-raffs and make them levies collectors? Regarding creation of construction agencies, that should be left to private individuals as what you suggest is pure communism, which hasn't worked anywhere. There is Akwa Savings even though it's largely obsolete and the other agencies you mentioned require a constitutional change. You need to read the Nigerian constitution before suggesting ideas.

On the city revamping and construction of high rise buildings (based on your pictures), those are achieved when there is a strong middle class for without which no one, I reiterate, no one can afford to purchase or maintain those structures. High rise buildings are constructed based on demand by the residents of a place due to rising incomes. Yet again, they're done by private companies not governmental agencies. I don't know where in the world the government constructs skyscrapers in the name of city development. Go to Angola and see empty properties due to the Chinese constructing buildings anywhere belly face even when Angolan are amongst the poorest in Africa.

When there's prosperity in a place, residents necessitate the construction of new and finer buildings not the government. What Akwa Ibomites need is economic prosperity not structures they cannot maintain or even afford.

8 Likes

Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by fancifulasuquo(m): 9:42am On Nov 27, 2019
Rubbish.....is that one more important than ITU /calabar highway ? Misplaced priorities

3 Likes

Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by Sanchez01: 9:47am On Nov 27, 2019
Atouke:

You must learn to crawl and walk before you can run.
The ibibios are the fourth largest ethnic group in Nigeria that's all I will say on the population issue.
Which Ibibios are the fourth largest? It is one thing being a government stooge and another trying to cook up stats. Biko, don't go there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by Bobonowell(m): 9:51am On Nov 27, 2019
IbyOneGod:
Udom is a fool by removing the fly over from Ik city to Ekom Iman village when his campaign promise was basely on that.
i swear to God that man no sabi anything

2 Likes

Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by OKorowanta: 9:51am On Nov 27, 2019
wiseone28:
That was an old contract..

Come and see the roads Udom is doing with his local contractors.

After 3 weeks you start seeing potholes.

Even gutters dey are using hands to mixed the concrete.

Julius Berger is presently not handling any road as much as I can see.
I guess they are only on the Ik road because they started the contract from d onset.
Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by Drosonogasta(m): 9:51am On Nov 27, 2019
wiseone28:

No be small! I hardly decipher b4 and after projects in southern part of Akwa Ibom
Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by romme2u: 9:53am On Nov 27, 2019
Gerrard59:

When you add sub-groups like the Annang, Oro nation and Efik, then you might be correct. However, stating that the Ibibios as a standalone ethnic group being the fourth largest is not true. Izon aka Ijaw are the fourth largest. Ibibios even have to tussle with the Urobhos/Kanuris (although I doubt that 'cos nowhere in the world are there more people in the desert than costal areas) for the fourth place and not third place.

https://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~rwest/wikispeedia/wpcd/wp/d/Demographics_of_Nigeria.htm

undecided

The issue of fourth largest ethnic group is political n controversial in nature as there is no official position on that as different ethnicities has lay claim to such position at different times including but not limited to Tiv, Nupe, Kanuri, Ibibio and recently Ijaws.................I haven't seen anywhere the urhobos have claimed being fourth largest except in this your post.

In this realm what is true or false is subject to the perspective of the claimant.

1 Like

Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by bigtt76(f): 9:56am On Nov 27, 2019
Why roundabout again when at the end of the day, it will cause traffic bottleneck? Why not flyovers? undecided

Atouke:
The 25km 4 lane dual carriage way linking uyo the capital city of Akwa ibom state to Ikot Ekpene the major city in the Northern senatorial district of the state has progressed to an advance stage.
23km of the road has been completed and the last 2km will be completed by December 2019, according to the contractor handling the project. Nigerias best, Julius Berger ltd.
This is an akwa ibom state government project.

It is now possibe to see the terminal point of the road which is at the four point by Sheraton hotel from the construction site.
This road will cut the distance from both cities to less than 15 minutes by car.

The akwa ibom state government is also poised to link Uyo to the capital city to Eket the capital of the southern Senatorial district of the state with an equally important 4 lanes dual carriage way. To open up the state for easy access to investors and commerce.
That work is also at advanced stage and will be completed early 2020.
Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by ubest1(m): 9:56am On Nov 27, 2019
In Akwa-Ibom we don't play that stupid FG/SG road repair politic, we fix all our road in & out because we are the major user.
Awol1:

I think Uyo to Ikot Ekpene is a federal road

6 Likes

Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by NonFarmPayrol: 10:03am On Nov 27, 2019
ubest1:
In Akwa-Ibom we don't play that stupid FG/SG road repair politic, we fix all our road in & out because we are the major user.

You dey mind dem

If akwa ibom ignored federal roads. Uyo would be hell like aba

5 Likes

Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by Unie30: 10:17am On Nov 27, 2019
Go naija.
Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by Yahman1(m): 10:33am On Nov 27, 2019
makavelli80:
Idem mfo?
Idem mmo ki Idem smiley

1 Like

Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by Nobody: 10:33am On Nov 27, 2019
-
Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by Yahman1(m): 10:37am On Nov 27, 2019
wiseone28:

Does are NDDC projects, I also witnessed one, the Governor has no hand there. That speaks about the massive volume of corruption going on in NDDC

1 Like

Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by Abagworo(m): 10:46am On Nov 27, 2019
This is a wonderful project that is of immense economic importance to Akwaibom State since Uyo and Ikotekpene are the 2 of the 3 major cities in each senatorial zone. It is now left for FG to clean up Aba-Ikotekpene road for more economic growth. I never knew Uyo to Ikotekpene was that short a distance

1 Like

Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by Atouke: 10:54am On Nov 27, 2019
wiseone28:
Why did the house of Assembly summons the commissioner of work because of poor road construction?

Nsek construction na you get am?

How many Julius Berger and CCEC construction do u see inside Uyo?

Stop defending your pay master when he leaves office in 2023 its me and you that will suffer.
So in your mind indeginous contractors should starve!
Do you think Julius Berger just woke up one day and because the world giant Berger +Bilfinger?
They started small and grew, by the way Julius Berger was a one man construction company that grew over the years.

We must also encourage our own indeginous contractors to grow, by giving them little jobs they can handle and affording them the opportunity to gain experience so that tomorrow they can also become our Berger.

By they way am for the big jobs for giants and small contracts for our local firms.
This is a good strategy, where our indeginous contractors fail they should be directed to return to site and correct their mistakes, so they don't repeat it next time.

And a lot of our indeginous contractors are doing great, where there are gaps it should be mitigated.

2 Likes

Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by Atouke: 10:56am On Nov 27, 2019
makavelli80:
Dede atiedie?

Idiok ke! Ake mfo?

1 Like

Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by Allstrasse: 11:00am On Nov 27, 2019
BeachTime:
I think having a modest population is actually cool and something to be proud of ,instead of an overcrowded city.
As for "Ibibio" do you mean the combination of ,Efik,oron,Annang,Ibibio ?If so,i'm not sure if it's the 4th largest . And Ibibio is a wrong term to use . Since there's no official name , the Ethnic group or nation is known as Calabar and sometimes Akwacross.
Nigerian educational system is flawed and needs to be revised. I, an American born & raised know more about Africa than most Nigerians .
Calabar (Ibibio,Oron,Efik,Annang) is an ethnic group or nation , similarly : Yoruba,Igbo ,Fang ,Swede,Dutch,Yamato( Japanese),Korean ,Tagalog , Punjabi,etc. Africa was colonized and merged into artificial countries for selfish gains .
All ethnic groups have communities ,each community have clans and clans have chiefdom or villages,villages have extended families and extended families have nuclear families all the way down to the individual. [b]For example ,Ibibio is a dialect and community of Calabar,Oron is a community and dialect of Calabar,Efik is a Community and dialect of Calabar,Annang is a dialect and community of Calabar . There's no official Calabar language but the most popular dialect is Efik and now Ibibio due to larger population.If a synthetic official language is created it would most likely contain 40 percent ibibio,20 percent Efik,20 percent annang and 20 percent Oron).
[/b]The same method described above is applicable to every ethnic nation in the world . Every single language in the world has dialects and some of the dialects are usually more popular than others .The official language is usually based on the most popular dialect and then some of the others . For example , Igbo is an ethnic group nation with communities and dialects such as :Ngwa,Onicha,Owerre,Udi,Igbere,Nsukka,Abakeleke,Aro,Mbaise,etc. the most popular dialect in the group is Onicha and a bit of Owerre, and the official synthetic igbo language which was created around 40 years ago is based on that dialect and hen some of the others .
the same is applicable to Spanish( Andalusian,Cantabrian,Canarian,etc. )the most popular dialect is Andalusian and the official synthetic Spanish language is base on that and a few of the others . The same method is applicable to Yamato(Japanese),Swede,Korean ,and all ethnic nations on earth.
My point of the above explanation is to buttress the fact that Efik,Oron,Annang and Ibibio are each not ethnic group but communities that make up an ethnic nation. That they are one indivisible people and nation bound by one and the same destiny; and that it's wrong for any community of the group to make up names such as Oron nation, annang nation, Efik nation or Ibibio nation. The correct term should be Calabar nation or Akwacross nation .

Bros you wrote a lot of nonsense there. But then I could forgive your balderdash as this is symptomatic of the typical local American who does not see the world beyond the prism of the continental USA. You displayed a lot of ignorance there and this is actually a function of reading the wrong history.

For your unbiased education (and for the greater benefit of the entire readership here)I would like to point out just a few things;

The Ibibios are a full fledged ethnic group. They have their own distinct language.

Calabar is a geographical location. A contraption created and named during the colonial era. the location is originally occupied by three distinct ethnic nationalities; the Efiks, the Qua and the Efut. A little far off we have the Ekoi and then the Bekwarras and the Ejaghams. All these people speak distinct languages. There is a rather derogatory name (Atam) that is used uniformly for all groups from northern Cross River though and it has no bearing whatsoever.

The Annangs can trace their genealogy to the same source with the Ibibios but they have become a rather strong and homogeneous entity, likewise the Oro nation who populate the Oron, Urue Ofong, Mbo and Okobo among some other local government areas. They have their own distinct dialect. Please note that while the average Oron person can understand and probably speak Ibibio language but the Ibibio man may not necessarily understand the Oron dialect even when he listens hard enough.

If a Qua man speaks an Efik man cannot understand him.

These boundaries do exist but not in cast in stone many are wont to believe. And yet the distinctions are nonetheless very distinct. This is largely an atomistic society.

That the Ibibios are the 4th largest ethnic group has never been in doubt. I would like to add that with or without the addition/inclusion of the Efiks, Annangs, Orons etc, they would still pass for the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by wiseone28: 11:12am On Nov 27, 2019
Yahman1:
Does are NDDC projects, I also witnessed one, the Governor has no hand there. That speaks about the massive volume of corruption going on in NDDC
Listen to various radio stations you will understand what is going on
Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by Atouke: 11:18am On Nov 27, 2019
rottennaija:

Is this the official story? Hope you know that I don't buy it. Hope you also know that if Akpabio was still the governor, this road would have been completed more than 2 years ago.

Have you ever wondered why gov. Akpabio didn't complete the road? He had 8yrs but yet couldn't complete this important road that leads to his own village.

Ponder, that concept and then you might decipher the political landmine that this road was supposed to be for Gov. Udom.
But udom has successfully navigated that minefield expertly.

2 Likes

Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by wiseone28: 11:18am On Nov 27, 2019
Atouke:

So in your mind indeginous contractors should starve!
Do you think Julius Berger just woke up one day and because the world giant Berger +Bilfinger?
They started small and grew, by the way Julius Berger was a one man construction company that grew over the years.

We must also encourage our own indeginous contractors to grow, by giving them little jobs they can handle and affording them the opportunity to gain experience so that tomorrow they can also become our Berger.

By they way am for the big jobs for giants and small contracts for our local firms.
This is a good strategy, where our indeginous contractors fail they should be directed to return to site and correct their mistakes, so they don't repeat it next time.

And a lot of our indeginous contractors are doing great, where there are gaps it should be mitigated.
Do u think road experimenting is good in a country such as Nigeria?

Will we keep experimenting roads with potholes in the name of giving indigenous contractor?

Which gov will like to repair a road that has already been awarded and was completed but shady?

When u say the money will be spent in Akwa ibom, are u the financial secretary to the company owners?

Tomorrow won't you see them buying houses in different countries or sending their children abroad for schooling or you want to tell me they are spending it in Akwa ibom?
Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by Atouke: 11:27am On Nov 27, 2019
wiseone28:
Do u think road experimenting is good in a country such as Nigeria?

Will we keep experimenting roads with potholes in the name of giving indigenous contractor?

Which gov will like to repair a road that has already been awarded and was completed but shady?

When u say the money will be spent in Akwa ibom, are u the financial secretary to the company owners?

Tomorrow won't you see them buying houses in different countries or sending their children abroad for schooling or you want to tell me they are spending it in Akwa ibom?

Stop spreading rumors, the commissioner of works has come out to say that the roads with potholes that people are complaining about are yet to be completed that the final wearing course ie tar has not yet been layed on those new roads and that the contractors will put on the final wearing course to complete the roads when the rain let's up.

Seyang Ltd that constructed the Nto Edino road that citizens are complaining about is a good construction company, the owner was the MD shell Nigeria for years, he knows a thing or two about quality projects, I have no doubt that the finishings when done on the roads will make it excellent.

1 Like

Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by monlawal(m): 11:38am On Nov 27, 2019
I agree with you on this. Ekom iman is. Ọrẹ
deserving of a fly over than any other place in Akwa ibom at this material time. Kudos to Udom for this work progress.
Atouke:

What's more important, to complete the road or to build a flyover?

The government has explained that a round about will be sufficient for the city of ikot ekpene until such a time it will be necessary to build one.

The ekom Iman junction requires a flyover immediately because of the number of accidents recorded there according to the state government.
You should take the government by its word, flyover are not status symbols.

FYI the city of ikot Ekpene looks great with the roundabout and the construction is not even finished but its already a beauty to behold.

1 Like

Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by rottennaija(m): 11:49am On Nov 27, 2019
Atouke:

Have you ever wondered why gov. Akpabio didn't complete the road? He had 8yrs but yet couldn't complete this important road that leads to his own village.

Ponder, that concept and then you might decipher the political landmine that this road was supposed to be for Gov. Udom.
But udom has successfully navigated that minefield expertly.

Must everything has conspirator air? Each month, each year, Govt identify and initiate new projects.

When Udoms' administration winds down in 2023, there will be projects he had initiated but can't complete nor would fund it. Govt is a continuous process, that why you have new Govt continues with projects of past administration.

First of all, the project wasn't initiated in Akpabio's first term. It started in his second. He obviously had done other projects in his first term.

My understanding is that the project had k-leg because the funds released for it had been used for something else or that JB took the funds released for it by Akpabio administration for another job they had been owed. (obviously, I'm not sure of). That probably Was Gov Udom's headache, as he wasn't happy about it and decided the project. But he can't do Akpabio anything neither can he dig into the finances of the past administration as he was an intricate part of it. Besides, a lot of those funds where used to secure his PDP ticket and his victory in the elections.

I'm happy he has finally done it. Its commendable.
Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by phantom24: 12:02pm On Nov 27, 2019
itsme01:
cool

Akwa ibomites are blessed with vissionary leaders

pls take note that this road was awarded and executed largely by the previous governor(godswill akpabio), the present governor hasn't awarded any road projects to reputable contractors since inception and d citizens are suffering because if u speak up, u become a victimized by the government agents. Akwaibom has been aback by this government.

1 Like

Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by Nobody: 12:05pm On Nov 27, 2019
Nice Area Pix, Uyo is looking like FCT from the air, wish I could say that for Rivers, see how they have destroyed artillery junction because of ordinary flyover, offcourse many drivers in rivers dont know what a flyover looks like, they think its a space tower.

1 Like

Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by Vabasi(m): 12:30pm On Nov 27, 2019
Allstrasse:

Bros you wrote a lot of nonsense there. But then I could forgive your balderdash as this is symptomatic of the typical local American who does not see the world beyond the prism of the continental USA. You displayed a lot of ignorance there and this is actually a function of reading the wrong history.

For your unbiased education (and for the greater benefit of the entire readership here)I would like to point out just a few things;

The Ibibios are a full fledged ethnic group. They have their own distinct language.

Calabar is a geographical location. A contraption created and named during the colonial era. the location is originally occupied by three distinct ethnic nationalities; the Efiks, the Qua and the Efut. A little far off we have the Ekoi and then the Bekwarras and the Ejaghams. All these people speak distinct languages. There is a rather derogatory name (Atam) that is used uniformly for all groups from northern Cross River though and it has no bearing whatsoever.

The Annangs can trace their genealogy to the same source with the Ibibios but they have become a rather strong and homogeneous entity, likewise the Oro nation who populate the Oron, Urue Ofong, Mbo and Okobo among some other local government areas. They have their own distinct dialect. Please note that while the average Oron person can understand and probably speak Ibibio language but the Ibibio man may not necessarily understand the Oron dialect even when he listens hard enough.

If a Qua man speaks an Efik man cannot understand him.

These boundaries do exist but not in cast in stone many are wont to believe. And yet the distinctions are nonetheless very distinct. This is largely an atomistic society.

That the Ibibios are the 4th largest ethnic group has never been in doubt. I would like to add that with or without the addition/inclusion of the Efiks, Annangs, Orons etc, they would still pass for the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria.

I was waiting for this. Thank you, don't mind that American born historian.

1 Like

Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by Kinematics: 12:38pm On Nov 27, 2019
BeachTime:
Akwa Ibom is sparsely populated .I believe the real population is 2 Million .Although the overall population of natives worldwide may amount to 5 Million. Its landmass is the same size as Los Angeles city proper . It can hold over 30 million people comfortably.
If I had the power, my method would be to demolish and rebuild from scratch In grid style like my sketch. Hopefully will be done as part of the Calabar Mega city project.
For now ,my comment is in regards to the current situation : Keep the money in Akwa ibom by using only Akwa ibom construction companies,and with time they'll improve ( Believe in yourself and quit slave/colonial mentality). Another option which I personally prefer is to create government agencies such as :Akwa Ibom Construction Corporation , Akwa Ibom Electric Company , Akwa bank , Akwa Ibom Transport Commission,Akwa Ibom police Service, Akwa Ibom Construction Council(to approve,oversee and implement building codes).
The Construction agency would be responsible for all construction and maintenance ,and would employ thousands of Akwa ibom Engineering professionals . And of course the government has to implement a good taxing system to boost the economy.
With that,all the money would stay and grow within Akwa Ibom.

It shows Ikot ekpene population as 300,000 on Wikepedia. The housing development in my sketch can house 50,000 residents, and it cost 100 Million dollars to develop. That means 6 of those would house everyone in Ikot Ekpne ,instead of the sprawling rusted roofs in the backdrop of the OP's photos.

Look at the highlighted and assess your ignorance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Julius Berger To Complete 25km Uyo To Ikot Ekpene Dual Carriage Way By Dec.Pics by emapeteum(m): 2:21pm On Nov 27, 2019
Gerrard59:

He is right unless you have a different meaning of the word "density". Akwa Ibom is not densely populated compared to its size. For instance, Japan is densely populated than California even though the former is relatively smaller than the latter. However, Los Angeles is smaller than Akwa Ibom yet has almost similar population numbers. For the population Akwa Ibom has to its size, it's not densely populated.
Maybe from that angle. My comparison was on population distribution in Nigeria. And please the AKS population is well over 5 million people and not 2 million.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Man Dies In Fatal Accident In Anambra (Photos) / The Bad Condition Of Lokoja-Okene Expressway (Photos) / From Lagos To Deutschland With Love!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.