|Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,407,619 members, 5,390,693 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 January 2020 at 12:49 AM
Oye Protest: Ekiti Govt Visits, Condoles With Families Of Slain Fuoye Students / Lagos APC Rally: CUPP Sympatises With Families Of Victims / LASG Donates N55m To Families Of Slain Security Officers (2) (3) (4)
|Rivers State Gov't Is Yet To Contact Families Of #phcollapsedbuilding Victims by ipreach: 12:22pm On Nov 27, 2019|
One year of the a 7-storey building collapsed in Woji area of GRA, Port Harcourt, the State Government is yet to contact or compensate the families of the victims.
Speaking with a radio station, NigeriaInfo FM in Port Harcourt on Tuesday, Elder Brother of Morgan, victim of Port Harcourt Collapsed Building Barr. Chukwuemeka Ihionu told Kofi Bartels during his Morning Cross Fire show that they have not been contacted by any government agency since the incident
Speaking on the show, Barr. Chukwuemeka Ihionu said: "We have not been contacted since then
"Commissioner for Health collected my phone number but nobody from Rivers State Gov't has called our family." He continued.
"Government officials were more interested in selling the thick irons recovered from the collapsed building.
"Only Rotary Club did something that the victims' families can commend.
"Government was only interested in using policemen to chase people at the site away.
"We have not received one naira in compensation from anyone.
"Our family had a hard time getting Morgan’s body released. We tried to see the Commissioner for Health repeatedly. After several attempts, we met him and he said only the governor could authorize release of the corpse.
"We were never called by the judicial commission of inquiry.
"My phone was tapped and monitored. I had to disengage the monitoring of my phone.
"The rumour flying around that the Rivers State Gov't gave our family 17 million naira is not true. We have not received one naira.
"Morgan’s cousin, Barr. Chi, who was very vocal during the rescue period has received several threats on phone from people in Rivers State.
"We had to contribute money to buy diesel for the excavator at the collapsed building site because days passed without any work being done and the workers said they were waiting for government to release money.
"If the rescue work was done properly and quickly with the right equipment, more people would have been rescued alive.
"Instituting civil service disciplinary action against officials of the Ministry of Works who approved the building is not enough. Officials who were negligent should be prosecuted." He concluded.
On his part, one of the Volunteer Rescuer, Agoboye Kalio said; "Government didn’t take care of the volunteer rescuers during and after the rescue"
While Kennedy revealed that; "One volunteer and one red cross official have died since the rescue work ended of illness related to the rescue work."
BelieveSpot recalls that the building collapsed on November 23, 2018, killing 17 persons while 31 others were trapped in the rubble. The survivors were rescued by volunteers, security agents and health workers.
|Re: Rivers State Gov't Is Yet To Contact Families Of #phcollapsedbuilding Victims by donbachi(m): 12:47pm On Nov 27, 2019|
if to sey dem be known PDP members...him for dem give 200million naira each to their families.
|Re: Rivers State Gov't Is Yet To Contact Families Of #phcollapsedbuilding Victims by ipreach: 1:06pm On Nov 27, 2019|
Nations Are Built By The Sacrifices, Hardwork Of Leaders, Says Osinbajo / Insecurity: Border Closure Has Yielded Positive Result – Lai Mohammed / DESTMA SAGA: Court Bars Delta Assembly From Confirming Idah As DG
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2020 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45