Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,141 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:15 AM

MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 (5354 Views)

How Samsung Is Taking Over The Nigerian Mid-range Smartphone Market / Why Charging Speed Slows Down After Reaching 90% / 5 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Slows Down Months After You Buy It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 by investigator007: 9:48pm On Nov 28, 2019
MEA smartphone market grew just 2% YoY in Q3 2019.
2 out of the top 3 markets, Nigeria and South Africa, are facing economic challenges.
Transsion Group’s feature phone market share reached the highest ever (77%), Samsung led the overall smartphone market (29%)
The smartphone market in Middle East and Africa (MEA) grew a modest 2% year-on-year (YoY) in Q3 2019, while the feature phone segment remained flat, according to Counterpoint Research’s latest Market Pulse report. Overall handset market grew 1% YoY. One of the main reasons for modest growth in the region is slowing in key countries. Markets like Nigeria, Egypt and South Africa that contribute to one-fourth of the overall regional sales are recovering from economic and regulatory challenges.

Commenting on the smartphone market growth, Tarun Pathak, Associate Director at Counterpoint Research, said, “The Middle East and Africa markets are at different stages of development and face a variety of economic, political and regulatory challenges. The region is largely under-penetrated (~40%) even though it is the third-largest region in terms of absolute internet users (>500 Mn). Hence, the next level of growth in the region will be driven by first-time internet users. While the Middle East is traditionally a strong and developed region, there are countries in Africa (Namibia, Tanzania, etc) where customers are paying among the highest rates in the world to access the internet. To bridge this gap a collective effort from telecom operators, government and handset players is required.”

Commenting on the OEM landscape, Varun Mishra, Research Analyst at Counterpoint Research said, “Transsion Group’s brands’ (iTel and Tecno) feature phone share reached its highest ever in MEA during the quarter. Feature phones remain relevant to the mass market in Africa. Entry-level smartphones are unable to provide a good experience due to the limitations of the device specifications, especially in the <$40 segment. Additionally, the high data and device cost along with other challenges, like digital illiteracy, is holding back users from migrating faster to smartphones. In terms of smartphones, brands like Samsung and Tecno are looking to expand their operations in the region through relevant partnerships. For Example, Tecno opened its first-ever flagship store in Nigeria recently. Among other key Chinese players, Huawei is the only brand having a strong presence in the region while vivo, OPPO, and Xiaomi are still looking to enter or build scale in African countries. The USA trade ban did not lead to steep declines for Huawei in MEA as its older Y-generation models were still selling well.”

In terms of smart feature phones, KaiOS continues to expand in the Africa market as it launched devices with Tecno and Vodacom. It has already launched devices with MTN and Orange. Compared to Q3 2018, shipments for KaiOS have grown over 600% in Africa (from a small base). The devices can be pivotal in capturing first-time internet users. The market holds promising potential for smart feature phone segment. However, keeping the prices of these devices as close to the traditional feature phone as possible remains key to the success of smart feature phones in the region.

Market Summary:

The top five smartphone brands captured 58% of the market.
Feature phones contributed to 37% of the total handset sales during the quarter. iTel and Tecno’s combined feature phone market share reached highest ever as long-tail brands in feature phone segment started exiting the African market.
Samsung led the smartphone market by volume, capturing 29% of the total smartphone market in Q3 2019. Galaxy A series contributed to a record 4/5th of Samsung’s sales with A10 and A20 Core being the best-selling models.
Tecno overtook Huawei to take the second position in the market. Spark 3 and Pop 2 Power were the bestselling models.
Huawei sales were driven by the Y series. Y series contribution to Huawei total smartphone sales reached a record 70% from 47% during the same quarter last year
iTel remained strong in the sub $50 segment while Infinix was one of the fastest-growing brands YoY (34%) to capture 4% of the market. remained strong in Nigeria.
Sub-US$100 segment captured 55% of the total smartphone market. Premium segment (US$400 and above) captured only 6% of the volume in the MEA region and principally from the developed markets such as UAE and Saudi Arabia.
The more advanced Middle East smartphone market remained flat. During the third quarter, some countries in the Middle East launched 5G for the first time in markets like Kuwait, UAE, Qatar, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia. 5G is likely to see fairly rapid growth in the developed Middle East markets as early as 2020 while for Africa markets it is still several years away.
The comprehensive and in-depth Q3 2019 Market Pulse is available for subscribing clients. Please feel free to contact us at press(at)counterpointresearch.com for further questions regarding our in-depth latest research, insights or press inquiries.

Source : https://www.counterpointresearch.com/mea-smartphone-market-growth-slows-q3-2019/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 by devbojj: 6:13am On Nov 29, 2019
No doubt samsung is leading the market ...but my problem with them is the keep making costly phones....

While Tecno make phone for average Nigerian.

It will be good if Samsung expand in Nigeria.

investigator007:
MEA smartphone market grew just 2% YoY in Q3 2019.
2 out of the top 3 markets, Nigeria and South Africa, are facing economic challenges.
Transsion Group’s feature phone market share reached the highest ever (77%), Samsung led the overall smartphone market (29%)
The smartphone market in Middle East and Africa (MEA) grew a modest 2% year-on-year (YoY) in Q3 2019, while the feature phone segment remained flat, according to Counterpoint Research’s latest Market Pulse report. Overall handset market grew 1% YoY. One of the main reasons for modest growth in the region is slowing in key countries. Markets like Nigeria, Egypt and South Africa that contribute to one-fourth of the overall regional sales are recovering from economic and regulatory challenges.

Commenting on the smartphone market growth, Tarun Pathak, Associate Director at Counterpoint Research, said, “The Middle East and Africa markets are at different stages of development and face a variety of economic, political and regulatory challenges. The region is largely under-penetrated (~40%) even though it is the third-largest region in terms of absolute internet users (>500 Mn). Hence, the next level of growth in the region will be driven by first-time internet users. While the Middle East is traditionally a strong and developed region, there are countries in Africa (Namibia, Tanzania, etc) where customers are paying among the highest rates in the world to access the internet. To bridge this gap a collective effort from telecom operators, government and handset players is required.”

Commenting on the OEM landscape, Varun Mishra, Research Analyst at Counterpoint Research said, “Transsion Group’s brands’ (iTel and Tecno) feature phone share reached its highest ever in MEA during the quarter. Feature phones remain relevant to the mass market in Africa. Entry-level smartphones are unable to provide a good experience due to the limitations of the device specifications, especially in the <$40 segment. Additionally, the high data and device cost along with other challenges, like digital illiteracy, is holding back users from migrating faster to smartphones. In terms of smartphones, brands like Samsung and Tecno are looking to expand their operations in the region through relevant partnerships. For Example, Tecno opened its first-ever flagship store in Nigeria recently. Among other key Chinese players, Huawei is the only brand having a strong presence in the region while vivo, OPPO, and Xiaomi are still looking to enter or build scale in African countries. The USA trade ban did not lead to steep declines for Huawei in MEA as its older Y-generation models were still selling well.”

In terms of smart feature phones, KaiOS continues to expand in the Africa market as it launched devices with Tecno and Vodacom. It has already launched devices with MTN and Orange. Compared to Q3 2018, shipments for KaiOS have grown over 600% in Africa (from a small base). The devices can be pivotal in capturing first-time internet users. The market holds promising potential for smart feature phone segment. However, keeping the prices of these devices as close to the traditional feature phone as possible remains key to the success of smart feature phones in the region.

Market Summary:

The top five smartphone brands captured 58% of the market.
Feature phones contributed to 37% of the total handset sales during the quarter. iTel and Tecno’s combined feature phone market share reached highest ever as long-tail brands in feature phone segment started exiting the African market.
Samsung led the smartphone market by volume, capturing 29% of the total smartphone market in Q3 2019. Galaxy A series contributed to a record 4/5th of Samsung’s sales with A10 and A20 Core being the best-selling models.
Tecno overtook Huawei to take the second position in the market. Spark 3 and Pop 2 Power were the bestselling models.
Huawei sales were driven by the Y series. Y series contribution to Huawei total smartphone sales reached a record 70% from 47% during the same quarter last year
iTel remained strong in the sub $50 segment while Infinix was one of the fastest-growing brands YoY (34%) to capture 4% of the market. remained strong in Nigeria.
Sub-US$100 segment captured 55% of the total smartphone market. Premium segment (US$400 and above) captured only 6% of the volume in the MEA region and principally from the developed markets such as UAE and Saudi Arabia.
The more advanced Middle East smartphone market remained flat. During the third quarter, some countries in the Middle East launched 5G for the first time in markets like Kuwait, UAE, Qatar, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia. 5G is likely to see fairly rapid growth in the developed Middle East markets as early as 2020 while for Africa markets it is still several years away.
The comprehensive and in-depth Q3 2019 Market Pulse is available for subscribing clients. Please feel free to contact us at press(at)counterpointresearch.com for further questions regarding our in-depth latest research, insights or press inquiries.

Source : https://www.counterpointresearch.com/mea-smartphone-market-growth-slows-q3-2019/
Re: MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 by Brandstudio01: 8:01am On Nov 29, 2019
I thought Apple would've top the market because of the recent iPhone hype.

Then again, I thought the FG said they have provided a conducive environment for these guys

Anyway, I will Build a Professional Logo for your Product or Company For 2k Only. Offer valid while promo Lasts. See my info below to Chat me up.
Pay on Delivery
Re: MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 by rainmoredays: 8:01am On Nov 29, 2019
As expected, when a sub-Saharan company is tryna make way into the Sub-Westerian company, things like.....

for your think you go think say I get something important wey I wan talk shebi grin grin

Nor mind me, my bf just release expired sperrm inside me.
Re: MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 by Mobsync(m): 8:02am On Nov 29, 2019
The mobile phone market has reached its peak at this point. Smartphone makers have nothing else to invent.

All they do these days is to improve on their cameras. Other than that phones released today are no better than phones released two years ago.

The smartphone market will steadily go into a decline unless some country suddenly becomes richer, causing the people there to afford more luxuries.

By the way, I have teeth whitening strips for sale. Click here to check them out.

1 Like

Re: MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 by Otisker(m): 8:02am On Nov 29, 2019
Which one is MEA phone again?
Re: MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 by drjprince: 8:04am On Nov 29, 2019
devbojj:
No doubt samsung is leading the market ...but my problem with them is the keep making costly phones....

you mean Tecno make scrap for average Nigerian abi

Infinix and Tecno equal to scrap
Re: MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 by kingxsamz(m): 8:04am On Nov 29, 2019
Otisker:

Take a seat and listen while your elders talk.

1 Like

Re: MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 by TechCapon(m): 8:09am On Nov 29, 2019
devbojj:

you're wrong. Samsung has entered the budget segment with the launch of the A Series

3 Likes

Re: MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 by Nobody: 8:17am On Nov 29, 2019
Where are the statistics and data supporting this? This is a paid promo by transition company. It's nonsense article.
Re: MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 by ddjay: 8:24am On Nov 29, 2019
This looks good for Samsung, they should keep it up, good budget phones are the way to go

1 Like

Re: MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 by Growingrace: 8:24am On Nov 29, 2019
Samsung nd quality are best friends.. No dought.. Enjoying my Samsung as if it stil new. grin
Re: MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 by ddjay: 8:27am On Nov 29, 2019
Growingrace:
Samsung nd quality are best friends.. No dought.. Enjoying my Samsung as if it stil new. grin
Na so my brother, no wahala with my a30. Buy a good phone like Samsung and rest, but buy infinix, tecno and itel and report complains grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 by kaymart: 8:45am On Nov 29, 2019
Buying phone always is a blatant waste of resources.

1 Like

Re: MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 by livebyday(m): 8:45am On Nov 29, 2019
Otisker:

Middle East and Africa

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 by sexiestharam(f): 9:09am On Nov 29, 2019
Infinix and Tecno should not be categorised as smartphones. They are daft phones.

2 Likes

Re: MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 by sammyj: 9:12am On Nov 29, 2019
shocked shocked wink
Re: MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 by nototribalist: 9:12am On Nov 29, 2019
I'm enjoying my Infinix hot S3 Snapdragon chipset phone.

Haters will say I can't do what iPhone users are doing.

The world must get sense, and it must start from Nigeria
Re: MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 by Sleevia: 9:27am On Nov 29, 2019
devbojj:

Samsung know it's market and niche, those who can not afford it are not their target. This is business
Re: MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 by sochey(f): 9:41am On Nov 29, 2019
Sleevia:
Samsung know it's market and niche, those who can not afford it are not their target. This is business

True!!

I hail you chief wink

1 Like

Re: MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 by jojothaiv(m): 9:47am On Nov 29, 2019
Otisker:
Middle East and Africa
Re: MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 by Nobody: 12:41pm On Nov 29, 2019
drjprince:
you mean Tecno make scrap for average Nigerian abi

Infinix and Tecno equal to scrap

No , they are trash.
Re: MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 by Rubiesangel: 1:38pm On Nov 29, 2019
Mind you, I have been using a spark 2 for almost 2 years now, no issues whats so ever. I just think the misconception of Tecno being trash comes from phone users who use phones for tasks they weren't built for. You can't buy a 2GB phone for instance and expect a 3GB output. No na.
quentin06:

No , they are trash.
Re: MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 by Rubiesangel: 2:08pm On Nov 29, 2019
Do you know that Tecno has also got a chunk of that niche? its a huge threat for them
Sleevia:
Re: MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 by Sleevia: 3:15pm On Nov 29, 2019
sochey:

True!!

I hail you chief wink
wink smiley You sabi

1 Like

Re: MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 by Sleevia: 3:20pm On Nov 29, 2019
Rubiesangel:
Do you know that Tecno has also got a chunk of that niche? its a huge threat for them
How old is Tecno vs Samsung? Only people who do not know real value would buy such phones from Tecno. Samsung is miles ahead... their market cap alone will crush Transsion's. Plus, it will be easy for Samsung to chase Transsion out of business than the reverse, but like I said, Samsung knows its market.

Some times it is an insult to try to prove your worth to everyone... Samsung that has almost chased Apple out of business? I think Transsion (Tecno &Infinix) brand should be competing with Xiaomi but even Xiaomi will soon displace them.

1 Like

Re: MEA Smartphone Market Growth Slows In Q3 2019 by Nobody: 5:00pm On Nov 29, 2019
Rubiesangel:
Mind you, I have been using a spark 2 for almost 2 years now, no issues whats so ever. I just think the misconception of Tecno being trash comes from phone users who use phones for tasks they weren't built for. You can't buy a 2GB phone for instance and expect a 3GB output. No na.

what task exactly, ? Whatsapp?, Facebook? internet? is it too much for a phone with 2gb ram?

(1) (Reply)

What Does It Require To Install GCAM / How To Restore Deleted Pictures On The HIOS Tecno(c7,c9,j8) / How To Bypass Sms Verification

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.