Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,834 members, 7,817,447 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:25 PM

Engine Oil Change - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Engine Oil Change (2947 Views)

.... The Power Of Mobil 1 Extended Performance After 12k miles oil change / 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change / Reasons You Always Have Engine Oil Shortage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Engine Oil Change by Prettyjanet1: 9:42am On Nov 29, 2019
When is it recommended to change a car engine oil that wasn't taken out more than 2 times a month?
Re: Engine Oil Change by Prettyjanet1: 9:55am On Nov 29, 2019
Pls answer
Re: Engine Oil Change by Prettyjanet1: 12:59pm On Nov 29, 2019
Pls respond
Re: Engine Oil Change by femtopyy(m): 1:01pm On Nov 29, 2019
Every 5000km
Re: Engine Oil Change by Prettyjanet1: 1:04pm On Nov 29, 2019
femtopyy:
Every 5000km
you mean rpm sir?
Re: Engine Oil Change by Eddee(m): 5:17pm On Nov 29, 2019
Prettyjanet1:
you mean rpm sir?

Car model and year, which oil was used during the last change if any?
Re: Engine Oil Change by double3(m): 7:47pm On Nov 29, 2019
Prettyjanet1:
When is it recommended to change a car engine oil that wasn't taken out more than 2 times a month?
It depends on the oil formular and manufacturer. As for mobil 1 ;After 6 months for synthetic oil and 3 months for mineral oil. Mobil 1 Extended performance can stay about 1year without change.

1 Like

Re: Engine Oil Change by paix(m): 1:51pm On Nov 30, 2019
Prettyjanet1:
The manual is your friend. Always refer to it.
Re: Engine Oil Change by Prettyjanet1: 3:45pm On Nov 30, 2019
Eddee:

Car model and year, which oil was used during the last change if any?
Toyota corolla 2010 . Mobil oil
Re: Engine Oil Change by Prettyjanet1: 3:47pm On Nov 30, 2019
double3:

It depends on the oil formular and manufacturer. As for mobil 1 ;After 6 months for synthetic oil and 3 months for mineral oil. Mobil 1 Extended performance can stay about 1year without change.

Oops, I don't know if it is synthetic or mineral. The mobil oil is 5k own
Re: Engine Oil Change by Prettyjanet1: 3:49pm On Nov 30, 2019
femtopyy:
Every 5000km

I just checked now. D distance covered is just 650 since d last change which is 8 months ago. Am I still safe?
Re: Engine Oil Change by double3(m): 5:30pm On Nov 30, 2019
Prettyjanet1:

Definitely mineral oil....synthetic is sold for 19k or thereabouts.
Although Toyota SMG recomends oil change every 5000miles or 6months wch ever comes first. But since u use mineral oil I'll suggest u do an oil change every 3months
Re: Engine Oil Change by Prettyjanet1: 7:47am On Dec 01, 2019
double3:

Definitely mineral oil....synthetic is sold for 19k or thereabouts.
Although Toyota SMG recomends oil change every 5000miles or 6months wch ever comes first. But since u use mineral oil I'll suggest u do an oil change every 3months

OK thanks sir
Re: Engine Oil Change by sooperrescue(m): 9:07pm On Dec 01, 2019
Prettyjanet1:

I just checked now. D distance covered is just 650 since d last change which is 8 months ago. Am I still safe?
Change it now. And endeavor to get the right oil. 0w20. Ask gazzuzz
Re: Engine Oil Change by urose93(f): 9:31pm On Dec 01, 2019
Prettyjanet1:

How can you be using mineral oil of 5k or less on a 2010 model of a car. Was the car a birthday gift or you bought it from your hard earned money? They way Nigerians are killing car engines are alarming. And the car engine you want to kill so is not selling cheap o. With my 2006 model Camry I still used full synthetic oil on it. That oil you used is definitely not recommended.
Re: Engine Oil Change by Prettyjanet1: 9:40pm On Dec 01, 2019
urose93:

How can you be using mineral oil of 5k or less on a 2010 model of a car. Was the car a birthday gift or you bought it from your hard earned money? They way Nigerians are killing car engines are alarming. And the car engine you want to kill so is not selling cheap o. With my 2006 model Camry I still used full synthetic oil on it. That oil you used is definitely not recommended.
. Noted!! I'll be buying the synthetic one
Re: Engine Oil Change by sooperrescue(m): 11:18pm On Dec 01, 2019
urose93:

They will later blame cars45 for buying it cheap
Re: Engine Oil Change by 9icetoo(m): 11:32am On Dec 02, 2019
Prettyjanet1:
You don't necessarily need to buy the synthetic oil. Buy the right weight. I believe it will be either 5w-20 or 5w-30.
If you can afford it you can go synthetic just for the sake of it but it is not a necessity.
There are mineral oils with the right weight for your car. Forte oil has them in stock (Castrol). Radautoworks has them too. There are other oil sellers here too that have them.
My acura doesn't call for synthetic and my last oil change wasn't synthetic but was still the right weight oil As recommended by the manufacturer. All the best.

1 Like

Re: Engine Oil Change by Prettyjanet1: 1:39pm On Dec 02, 2019
9icetoo:

You don't necessarily need to buy the synthetic oil. Buy the right weight. I believe it will be either 5w-20 or 5w-30.
If you can afford it you can go synthetic just for the sake of it but it is not a necessity.
There are mineral oils with the right weight for your car. Forte oil has them in stock (Castrol). Radautoworks has them too. There are other oil sellers here too that have them.
My acura doesn't call for synthetic and my last oil change wasn't synthetic but was still the right weight oil As recommended by the manufacturer. All the best.
Thanks for this clarification.
Re: Engine Oil Change by radautoworks: 6:46pm On Dec 02, 2019
double3:

This is the right answer

1 Like

Re: Engine Oil Change by radautoworks: 6:47pm On Dec 02, 2019
Prettyjanet1:

NO.
Re: Engine Oil Change by radautoworks: 6:48pm On Dec 02, 2019
9icetoo:

Also correct
Re: Engine Oil Change by radautoworks: 6:50pm On Dec 02, 2019
Prettyjanet1:
Toyota corolla 2010 . Mobil oil

Your car uses 5w20 conventional or 0w20 synthetic oil

Re: Engine Oil Change by Prettyjanet1: 6:54pm On Dec 02, 2019
radautoworks:

NO.
OK thanks sir
Re: Engine Oil Change by Prettyjanet1: 6:54pm On Dec 02, 2019
radautoworks:

Your car uses 5w20 conventional or 0w20 synthetic oil

is the conventional also d mineral oil or its different?
Re: Engine Oil Change by Beeron: 8:17pm On Dec 02, 2019
urose93:

ok that's you also a girl and learned about cars doesn't mean she is. And that is reason she started this thread.
Enlightening her NOT scold her like how your write up portrays.

We learn everyday right? Guess what? she might know stuff you have been yearning to learn for some years because no one knows it all.

1 Like

Re: Engine Oil Change by urose93(f): 10:17pm On Dec 02, 2019
Beeron:
ok that's you also a girl and learned about cars doesn't mean she is. And that is reason she started this thread.
Enlightening her NOT scold her like how your write up portrays.

We learn everyday right? Guess what? she might know stuff you have been yearning to learn for some years because no one knows it all.

I am sorry if the the way I made my point sounded as a 'scolding' or insult to you.
It was never my intention.
Have a good day.

1 Like

Re: Engine Oil Change by radautoworks: 12:14am On Dec 03, 2019
Prettyjanet1:
is the conventional also d mineral oil or its different?

They are the same
Re: Engine Oil Change by radautoworks: 12:15am On Dec 03, 2019
Prettyjanet1:
OK thanks sir

You're welcome but I'm female wink
Re: Engine Oil Change by Prettyjanet1: 12:40am On Dec 03, 2019
radautoworks:

They are the same
ok ma'am

1 Like

Re: Engine Oil Change by DukeNija(m): 8:42am On Dec 03, 2019
double3:

The problem is not the engine oil, but the oil filter. Most oil filters sold in our markets are inferior and significantly degrade after 3 months. It’s advisable to change your oil and filter every 3-6 months irrespective of the type of oil used.
Also, the driving conditions in Nigeria especially Lagos makes for a more frequent oil change.
Re: Engine Oil Change by DukeNija(m): 12:11pm On Dec 03, 2019
Prettyjanet1:

Please do! The engine will thank you. Trust me.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Want This Car / What's Ur Favorite Car Color / Vibrating Body Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.