Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,991 members, 7,817,921 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

How To Remember What You Read - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How To Remember What You Read (459 Views)

How To Remember What You Read (part 3) / How To Remember What You Read (part 2) / Mention Book(s) You Read That Shape Your Life!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Remember What You Read by damianchiemezie(m): 6:38pm On Nov 29, 2019
How to remember what you read
--------------------------------------------

I had wanted to address this. And I think it will be apt right now.
 What am I talking about?

Remembering what you read
 Some time ago, I made a post about reading consistently. I posted it in one Whatsup group and this put me into trouble. Chill. Not that kind of trouble...
 I got into trouble. A lady chatted me privately and began to probe me.
 “How do you do this (Read)” I explained to her, but she wasn’t satisfied.
 “How do you cope with it? How do you remember or understand what you read” This was not exactly how she expressed her curiosity, however, the rephrasing I made is closer to her outburst of feelings. I saw a curious soul indeed.
 From her questions, I noticed something. She found it difficult to read and understand. And she was scared of sitting for hours reading.
 I love this kind of people when they approach me. It is always an opportunity to make someone smile. And I was happy I did make her smile after my prescription.
 Where am I driving you to? To safety in studying. Hear me: Reading without remembering is as good as nothing. A friend once told me he had forgotten most things (almost all) in the same book, both of us red. This is quite disturbing to me. .
 No complaining. Let’s get to the solution (s). Let me tell you how to remember.
 Scribble, highlight or jot interesting parts. You can call them punchlines or appealing notes.
 Personally, I call them jotted items. For those that read a lot with the computer, let me reveal to you a secret to my retentive memory. Look at what I do: Each PDF book I open in my system to read, I also open M.S Word and type ‘Jotted items on’. I will name the author and the title of the book. For instance. ‘Jotted items on Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill’ I will save it. Whatever I find interesting while reading, I will copy it and paste in M.S and read it again and again. Now, remember the psychology of learning fast: Jotting and repetition. Whatever you put down and repeat will stick in your mind.
When I am tired, I go to Doc and type the page number I stopped so I would not task my mind next time trying to remember where I stopped. You can also use this technique if you prefer reading hard copies. Just bring out your jotter and put your pencil/pen to work.
“I read a lot with my phone” That is fine too. You can install an app called WPS. What I do is: copy punchlines to the app and paste it for later reference. I go back to it from time to time. My method may interest you or you can find other apps that will better help you do that.
“I don’t like reading digital books. The light the screen emits burns my eyes.” I understand. Now I have a solution if you read with system. What I do is: I installed two apps called Kindle and Calibre in my system. I use Calibre to convert my PDF books to Mobi and then I access it with Kindle app. When I open the book on Kindle, I go to “View” and set the colour background to Black or Sepia and then read with ease. You won’t feel the screen light. It works for me.
 Welcome back from the enlightenment. Now, you have got to be intentional with learning. Study like a pro. I was like my friend who didn’t remember what he read until I learned some reading techniques. 
Let’s look at it this way. One other sharp way to bring things into focus is to list the number of books you have read. Or write down your ‘to learn list; and be accountable. I punish myself a lot. I do this as if I were under duress but I have to do this to stay focused and connected ‘all the time’ to my intellectual values. For this reason, I can give an account of the number of books I cover each year. How I do it: I created a folder in my system titled: Red Books in 20...” I try to record each book I read in the folder and at least one thing that intrigued me.

Disclaimer
Reading may not be the most important thing, but it does a lot of miracles in your mind. Napoleon Hill one time said ‘Knowledge is not power’ but the application of it. But knowledge comes first and transforms your mind before anything. So read first... One day you will certainly apply. You can’t give what you don’t have. Shey you get?.
And always remember this:
Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times-----Isaiah: 33:6

To be continued.

Damian Chiemezie
Writer / Transformational Speaker.

1 Like

Re: How To Remember What You Read by LegendaryLover(m): 7:25pm On Nov 29, 2019
hmm ... jotting and repetition. very good points in your article. Keep it up.

1 Like

Re: How To Remember What You Read by damianchiemezie(m): 12:28pm On Nov 30, 2019
Thanks for following

(1) (Reply)

New Man Movement Awards Cash Prizes To Adeniran Adeleke, And Others / The Effect Of The Lockdown In An Image / Karma Came Knocking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.