Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,081 members, 7,811,028 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:09 PM

What Kind Of Farming Can I Venture Into - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / What Kind Of Farming Can I Venture Into (827 Views)

Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide / What Kind Of Sickness Is This On My Chicken? (Disturbing Photo) / Estimated Cost Of Farming 1 Hectare Of Cassava (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Kind Of Farming Can I Venture Into by dukechilezie(m): 3:53pm On Nov 30, 2019
I really need your contributions and advice on the kind of farming I can venture into. I have tried poultry farming but I am not really getting positive results. I am thinking of crop farming. Please I need your suggestions on the kind of farming that is lucrative. I am based in Enugu, I have five plots of land. I have the capital as well.

Cc:
Pavore9
FarmTech
Re: What Kind Of Farming Can I Venture Into by healthserve(m): 3:55pm On Nov 30, 2019
There's many factors to consider.

1. Can you effectively market what you're producing?

2. What did you do wrong in your poultry/Can you review your poultry production plan and review what you did wrongly to correct it?

3. Never engage in any venture without having market for it even before you start producing

4. Make sure you consult with professionals probably engage a professional for a business for the entire productive systems you intend getting into

5. No agricultural value chain is without its challenges. Every failure can be corrected. Success is as predictable as failure. Make sure you critically and intelligently review your productive systems before quitting

6. Vegetables is good if you have space and good top soil on your property. Ugwu is a money spinner any day anytime and from six weeks you can start sales.

1 Like

Re: What Kind Of Farming Can I Venture Into by dukechilezie(m): 3:57pm On Nov 30, 2019
healthserve:
There's many factors to consider.

1. Can you effectively market what you're producing?
That is the challenge I have with the poultry farming. I have 5 weeks 350 broilers at the moment. Marketing them has been my challenge.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Kind Of Farming Can I Venture Into by healthserve(m): 4:00pm On Nov 30, 2019
dukechilezie:

That is the challenge I have with the poultry farming. I have 5 weeks 350 broilers at the moment. Marketing them has been my challenge.

Marketing is the simplest thing to do. But its difficult. It requires holistic application of intelligent systems. I.e printing hand bills passing them around restaurants, churches, bars etc.

What approach did you take in marketing your produce? Can you share some of your marketing successes and failure!

Also, broiler is not accepted in every terrain. Its important to check your environs if your produce is marketably accepted before you start producing. Egg production does better anywhrr cause there's someone somewhere with a shop they can be sold to even on credit basis
Re: What Kind Of Farming Can I Venture Into by Thurmieee: 4:34pm On Nov 30, 2019
Pls of I may ask. How much did it take you to grow the broilers from a day old to 5 week.
350 chicks. Please I want to write a proposal buh I want opinion from someone who has been there. Thank .
dukechilezie:

Re: What Kind Of Farming Can I Venture Into by jethro2: 4:53pm On Nov 30, 2019
Take time to research what crop or product is highly demanded in your area.

This you can do by visiting the market.
Discuss with different commodity retailers

Ask question
Listen to what they are saying and the ones they are not saying

Ask them who their previous suppliers are
What quantity do the retailers buy?

Will they be open to new customer?
What are the good and the bad things about the other producers?

Try to know the other suppliers
Ask them questions too
What are their challenges?

Market research highly recommended
Market research is a must for every intending farmer
Market research is beyond asking questions online
Market research requires fund, emotions and physical committment

dukechilezie:
I really need your contributions and advice on the kind of farming I can venture into. I have tried poultry farming but I am not really getting positive results. I am thinking of crop farming. Please I need your suggestions on the kind of farming that is lucrative. I am based in Enugu, I have five plots of land. I have the capital as well.

Cc:
Pavore9
FarmTech

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Kind Of Farming Can I Venture Into by dukechilezie(m): 5:23pm On Nov 30, 2019
Thurmieee:
Pls of I may ask. How much did it take you to grow the broilers from a day old to 5 week.
350 chicks. Please I want to write a proposal buh I want opinion from someone who has been there. Thank .
#352,100
Re: What Kind Of Farming Can I Venture Into by Thurmieee: 7:57pm On Nov 30, 2019
Wow......minus the construction of the cages?or plus the construction each bird worth more than 1000 then. In sokoto here one bird of 4 weeks sells for 1000#
dukechilezie:

#352,100
Re: What Kind Of Farming Can I Venture Into by Willie2015: 4:30am On Dec 01, 2019
dukechilezie:

Stocking 350 broilers is too much ...
If you dont have an offtaker... i.e a ready made buyer that will take it at once...
Marketing will become a challenge ...
Do it in batches like 50 - 100 birds twice in a month...
You won have problem marketing 100 birds in a month any environment...
U will also learn your rope and get customer along the way
Also work on your cost of production... to like 750 -800 per Bird
Cos most broiler buyers want 2kg plus between 1k to 1.2k

2 Likes

Re: What Kind Of Farming Can I Venture Into by Willie2015: 4:36am On Dec 01, 2019
dukechilezie:

Stocking 350 broilers is too much ...
If you dont have an offtaker... i.e a ready made buyer that will take it at once...
Marketing will become a challenge ...
Do it in batches like 50 - 100 birds twice in a month...
You won have problem marketing 100 birds in a month any environment...
Also work on your cost of production... to like 750 -800 per Bird
Cos most broiler buyers want 2kg plus between 1k to 1.2k
If you get to sell it above these prices to processor..... you are okay
If not, you can have a still have decent margin of N200 per bird to keep yu running

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Cassava Starch / Consumption Starch / 10,000 Tons Of Maize Needed In Ibadan / A Farm land with structures on a plot for Sale At Okugbolu Town,ifo,ogun State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.