Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,126 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:45 PM

IPPIS: ASUU Asks FG Why Staff Of CBN, NDIC, FIRS Are Not On The Payment System - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / IPPIS: ASUU Asks FG Why Staff Of CBN, NDIC, FIRS Are Not On The Payment System (27349 Views)

ASUU Asks FG To Secure UNIJOS Against Killings / ASUU To Fg: Why Do You Want To Spend Money On IPPIS When UTAS Is Free? / IPPIS: ASUU Mobilises Members For Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: IPPIS: ASUU Asks FG Why Staff Of CBN, NDIC, FIRS Are Not On The Payment System by dkenny4lyf(m): 2:52pm On Dec 02, 2019
seguntijan:
Copied
PROF OLOYEDE ON IPPIS

Earlier, you acknowledged stable academic calendar this year, as there has been no strike. But one is brewing already with the FG/ASUU face off over the Integrated Payment and Personnel Information System (IPPIS). As somebody who has vast experience in the university administration, in what way are you advising the government to handle this matter?

Frankly speaking, my response to this question is not as JAMB Registrar, it is as a Professor from a university and as somebody who had managed the university and who has also been President of Association of African Universities and has a fair view of what goes on in the university all over the world. This is because I served on the governing boards of the Association of Commonwealth Universities as well as International Association of Universities. Besides, I am widely travelled when it comes to university administration. I will caution the Federal Government about IPPIS. The government should be cautious because IPPIS might do more damage to the University system than good. My own position is that we are swinging between one extreme to the other. Prior to 2005, no university got direct allocation from the government; we used to defend our budget with the National Universities Commission (NUC).

It is the NUC that regulates, controls, supervises and monitors everything. Now, because our colleagues felt that NUC was too overbearing, they decided to have direct interface with the National Assembly and the national purse. This is one of the consequences of such complaints about NUC being accused of being overbearing. I believe that if you look at the analysis of government expenditure on universities, prior to 2005 and after 2005, go and compare, there has been lawlessness since 2005 because what you get into the university is no longer a product of what you need, but a product of lobbying and so many dirty things that go along with lobbying. It is no longer regulated. When NUC was regulating, we had parameters, size of the university, age of the university, Science-Arts parameter and the growth rate. Then, there was the University System Annual Review Meeting (USARM) where every Vice-Chancellor accounted for every kobo given to his school to the NUC.
The NUC would harvest this review to serve as basis for its recommendation for budget allocation for all the federal universities. Now, we have dismantled that structure and every university now handles matter individually independent of NUC, which is not even cost effective. If you analyse how much every Vice-Chancellor spends in coming to and from Abuja on the issue of contacting National Assembly or contacting IPPIS, they are not only spending money, they are learning new tricks about corruption. This is because, yes, many people may say universities are corrupt, yet no sane person will assert that the universities are more corrupt than the public service. Civil service is stinking about corruption and the universities are still sane. But by the time we allow the undue and unregulated intermingling, you are going to transfer this poisonous dose into the university system and they are going to be the worse for it as they (universities) have the intellectual capacity to package the corruption. It is something that we need to look into! Many people raised the issue that some Vice-Chancellors were prosecuted. What was the outcome of the prosecutions? I did not find any one of them that was not set free.
The court said that by the rules of the University, they have not done anything wrong. All the noise in the media is when they are being tried. But when the court sets them free, nobody hears about it. There was the case of somebody who was serving President of the AAU (and Vice-Chancellor); you know the impact of the trial of such a person on the nation. We were really shocked and after the man went through all the horror, only for the court to say nothing was found against him after the name of the country and the University was almost permanently damaged. So, what we are saying is that there are in-built mechanisms for addressing the issue of corruption in the university system. Let us activate those mechanisms, let us make sure that NUC is made to play both supervisory and regulatory role on federal universities. They have regulatory roles over all universities but they have both supervisory and regulatory roles on Federal Universities and that is what we are saying they should activate.

Analysis by Prof. Oloyede on IPPIS

This is the way forward....

We need someone thats well versed in both ends to proffer solution....
Re: IPPIS: ASUU Asks FG Why Staff Of CBN, NDIC, FIRS Are Not On The Payment System by alfajohn: 3:03pm On Dec 02, 2019
Those agencies are self funding. They fund all their expenses from income generated from their operations. But In case of the universities the salaries of lecturers is being paid from the federal purse. Hence the insistence of FGN that if we pay you IPPIS is a must for you. The lecturers are saying the universities act grant them autonomy but seriously can you be autonomous without been financially independent. I doubt.
Re: IPPIS: ASUU Asks FG Why Staff Of CBN, NDIC, FIRS Are Not On The Payment System by Agboriotejoye(m): 3:58pm On Dec 02, 2019
thundafire:
I don't support cs federal government tells dem how to charge
So how do you expect them to cover the cost
Re: IPPIS: ASUU Asks FG Why Staff Of CBN, NDIC, FIRS Are Not On The Payment System by shadeyinka(m): 4:18pm On Dec 02, 2019
thatigboman:
I see your issue is with how much CBN staff earn, not about the issue on ground. you, what work do you do that will make u earn more than a labourer or a mason or even a woman cooking mama put?
Of course, someone like me wonder how much effort or expertise is required to work at the CBN. I actually know a very junior staff at CBN, she came in with school cert. Of she has up her educational qualification, she cannot yet have an OND. Yet, her income dwarfs that of the husband who works as a teacher in a FG college as a teacher. In other words, income of a CBN staff is not on qualifications nor productivity but on proximity/association. I also know a friend who moved from a teaching hospital as an admin staff to the CBN. Her salary is almost thrice her former income and hence you wonder why in the same FG employment why her skills is thrice of value in another government agency.

So, you see my point and why I ask,"what work". I feel they are highly paid simply because they are in charge of the FG money.

1 Like

Re: IPPIS: ASUU Asks FG Why Staff Of CBN, NDIC, FIRS Are Not On The Payment System by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 4:54pm On Dec 02, 2019
Nwaonyishi69:
But that was what the article just did.
no.

u can't tell me dat because uche doesn't leave in a compound.
that's why I won't leave there.

there should be a more concrete reason else it's a stupid reason.

hope you got my analogy
Re: IPPIS: ASUU Asks FG Why Staff Of CBN, NDIC, FIRS Are Not On The Payment System by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 4:57pm On Dec 02, 2019
tolulope1990:
Recieve sense
AnArsenal fan telling me to receive sense

Wonder shall never end....
Re: IPPIS: ASUU Asks FG Why Staff Of CBN, NDIC, FIRS Are Not On The Payment System by Nwaonyishi69: 7:46pm On Dec 02, 2019
ANTONINEUTRON:
no.

u can't tell me dat because uche doesn't leave in a compound.
that's why I won't leave there.

there should be a more concrete reason else it's a stupid reason.

hope you got my analogy
Well, my opinion is that any sane man, before marriage, producing children, renting an apartment or starting a business needs some background info. Else, life will all be due to cancer factor or accident.
Re: IPPIS: ASUU Asks FG Why Staff Of CBN, NDIC, FIRS Are Not On The Payment System by somziency: 8:10pm On Dec 02, 2019
Another strike looming if this fight continues.
Re: IPPIS: ASUU Asks FG Why Staff Of CBN, NDIC, FIRS Are Not On The Payment System by Nukilia: 8:11pm On Dec 02, 2019
shadeyinka:

Of course, someone like me wonder how much effort or expertise is required to work at the CBN. I actually know a very junior staff at CBN, she came in with school cert. Of she has up her educational qualification, she cannot yet have an OND. Yet, her income dwarfs that of the husband who works as a teacher in a FG college as a teacher. In other words, income of a CBN staff is not on qualifications nor productivity but on proximity/association. I also know a friend who moved from a teaching hospital as an admin staff to the CBN. Her salary is almost thrice her former income and hence you wonder why in the same FG employment why her skills is thrice of value in another government agency.

So, you see my point and why I ask,"what work". I feel they are highly paid simply because they are in charge of the FG money.

The system we run @ the moment is laced with corruption! When federal agencies use different salary structure, then there is a problem.

1 Like

Re: IPPIS: ASUU Asks FG Why Staff Of CBN, NDIC, FIRS Are Not On The Payment System by oluwatodimu1(m): 8:16pm On Dec 02, 2019
Arsenella007:

You are not in the university system so you don't know what you are saying. The universities generate alot of money, I mean millions.. They don't remit nothing to the government, yet the government pays salaries, provides tetfund for research, infrastructure, also research grants that's is not accounted for, etc.. What happens to the school fees, the acceptance fees, the other IGRs? Most universities don't even pay the allowances the are supposed to pay their workers, cut their salaries..
It is obvious you don't know how much it costs to run successfully a tertiary institution. It's not cheap and a few millĂ­on cannot settle these bills
Re: IPPIS: ASUU Asks FG Why Staff Of CBN, NDIC, FIRS Are Not On The Payment System by jadeliyi(m): 8:18pm On Dec 02, 2019
Arsenella007:

Ha! Na wah o.. Abeg try and do your research before u ask this kind of questions o.. Both CBN and NDIC does generate and remit money to the Federal government

https://ndic.gov.ng/senate-lauds-ndic-for-regular-remittance-to-consolidated-revenue-fund/
cbn and ndic do remit saying the university do not remit any thing is not true have had about remitter ? .
Re: IPPIS: ASUU Asks FG Why Staff Of CBN, NDIC, FIRS Are Not On The Payment System by shadeyinka(m): 9:23pm On Dec 02, 2019
Nukilia:

The system we run @ the moment is laced with corruption! When federal agencies use different salary structure, then there is a problem.
I agree perfectly with you!
Re: IPPIS: ASUU Asks FG Why Staff Of CBN, NDIC, FIRS Are Not On The Payment System by alphaNomega: 6:34am On Dec 03, 2019
seguntijan:

..DELETED THE INITIAL CRAP FROM FIRST POST...

The fact of the matter is that the government is saying universities should use their IGR to cater for all these and should this become a reality, universities will be left with no option but to re introduce tuition fees and charge higher fees from the students. Then we will now know that an average Nigerian cannot afford higher education again. That is world bank policy for you. The general idea is to localise our universities and make them unaccessible globally all in the name of a policy for payments of salary.

https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2019/11/30/ASUU-queries-fg-why-are-staff-of-cbn-ndic-firs-not-on-ippis/

Are you wankers saying Universities do not charge tuition fees? Did you ever look at your fees break down? Did you even attend a university?
Re: IPPIS: ASUU Asks FG Why Staff Of CBN, NDIC, FIRS Are Not On The Payment System by Triumphant2505: 7:20am On Dec 03, 2019
Arsenella007:
Until universities are able to generate revenue and remit some percentage to the Federal government, then they can have financial autonomy. The government pays and bankrolls everything in the Universities, without getting any monetary returns from the said Universities so the government can dictate and decide what gives.. Simple.. The above mentioned organisations do generate and remit to the government.
Arsenella007:
Until universities are able to generate revenue and remit some percentage to the Federal government, then they can have financial autonomy. The government pays and bankrolls everything in the Universities, without getting any monetary returns from the said Universities so the government can dictate and decide what gives.. Simple.. The above mentioned organisations do generate and remit to the government.
Arsenella007:
I'm sorry for this question! why do we use remita then?
Re: IPPIS: ASUU Asks FG Why Staff Of CBN, NDIC, FIRS Are Not On The Payment System by Couzy21(m): 7:20am On Dec 03, 2019
Blainz:

I work in federal government agency which operates in a University model. Our staff go on sabbatical and do all that....yet we are in IPPIS

IPPIS platform provides for all that and even the ones they dont have, they can add. ASUU has other agenda

Will they still be paid by the government twice if they lecture in another government university?
From what a lecturer told me, no
Re: IPPIS: ASUU Asks FG Why Staff Of CBN, NDIC, FIRS Are Not On The Payment System by Nobody: 4:40pm On Dec 03, 2019
Couzy21:

Will they still be paid by the government twice if they lecture in another government university?
From what a lecturer told me, no

yes! they would....Those that left in my agency for sabbatical..get paid by the agency and where they are having sabbatical

1 Like

Re: IPPIS: ASUU Asks FG Why Staff Of CBN, NDIC, FIRS Are Not On The Payment System by shekauvsbuhari: 7:01pm On Dec 03, 2019
ANTONINEUTRON:
Can someone explain to me why ASUU don't want this IPPIS stuff
They already outlined their reasons in the write-up but U re too dumb to read.
Re: IPPIS: ASUU Asks FG Why Staff Of CBN, NDIC, FIRS Are Not On The Payment System by Texty: 10:51am On Dec 04, 2019
Arsenella007:

You are not in the university system so you don't know what you are saying. The universities generate alot of money, I mean millions.. They don't remit nothing to the government, yet the government pays salaries, provides tetfund for research, infrastructure, also research grants that's is not accounted for, etc.. What happens to the school fees, the acceptance fees, the other IGRs? Most universities don't even pay the allowances the are supposed to pay their workers, cut their salaries..

Bro I think currently federal government gets school fees and other fees from these schools..... That's why there is remita with remita each fees paid goes to the nation treasury
Re: IPPIS: ASUU Asks FG Why Staff Of CBN, NDIC, FIRS Are Not On The Payment System by Kfed4ril(m): 8:54am On Dec 07, 2019
Arsenella007:

The link doesn't prove anything. I have been able to prove to you that CBN and even NDIC generates revenues and remits to the government. But universities don't..

Oga universities do,
Is school fees not paid via remita?
Re: IPPIS: ASUU Asks FG Why Staff Of CBN, NDIC, FIRS Are Not On The Payment System by AmeLonRo(m): 6:23am On Dec 19, 2019
Arsenella007:
. ASUU generates the greatest revenue for government. The training if the nation's skilled manpower is no joke. That training is no joke. It can't be paid for

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

UNILORIN Mass Communication Student Is Missing (photo) / Strike: FG To Release N30bn Earned Allowances To ASUU / President Buhari Approves The Establishment Of Federal Polytechnic, Wannune

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.