Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,919 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:01 AM

"Poor In Spirit", What Does It Mean? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "Poor In Spirit", What Does It Mean? (583 Views)

If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? / Apostle Chinyere Builds 18 Free Estates For The Poor In Rivers State (Photos) / Can A Christian Be Truly POSSESSED By An Evil Spirit? What The Bible Truly Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Poor In Spirit", What Does It Mean? by Hiswordxray(m): 4:27pm On Dec 01, 2019
POOR IN SPIRIT

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." (Matt 5:3)
“Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." (Matt 6:33).

We are to seek the Kingdom of God above every other thing, and now Jesus is say the Kingdom of God is for those who are poor in spirit. This mean that if truly the Kingdom of God is ours then we are poor in spirit. But what does "poor in spirit" mean? The word poor there does not refer to lack of money or material wealth, and the word spirit there is definitely not referring to a spirit being.

"Poor" as used in this scripture refers to humility, emptiness, and lack of sufficiency in one's self. Yes, a man is considered poor when he finds no sufficiency in himself, he is not full of himself, but rather empty and in utter reliance on God. He leans heavily on God as he has nothing and can do nothing by himself. All that he has is God, he is utterly empty of himself. He finds himself always depending on God, for he does not know how to survive without God. Now, to understand the word "spirit" as used in that scripture we would look at another scripture.

"And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;" (Eph 4:23).

The word spirit here is also not referring to a spirit being, rather it means a spiritual construct. Some other translation puts it this way, "to be made new in the attitude of your minds;" Attitude is a disposition, a state, an arrangement, a construct. The spirit of your mind therefore means the disposition of your mind, how your mind has been constructed to think, its attitude, how it behaves. A proper interpretation of that would be, "the spiritual nature of your inner man".

"Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed day by day." (2Cor 4:16).

Yes, the nature of your inner man, that person that you are inside needs to be renewed day by day as we are being conformed to the image of Christ. The person that you are inside determines how you think, how your mind behaves, and therefore what you do. Our spirits already has the nature of Christ, but our soul, our inner man, still needs to be conformed to that. We need to start expressing this divine nature, and as the scripture says, "out of the fullness of the heart the mouth speaks" (Matt 12:34).

We simply express who we are inside, the spiritual nature of our inner man. It is the nature of our inner man that needs to be constantly renewed, conforming to the nature of Christ. Therefore when Jesus said, "poor in spirit", he was referring to the spiritual nature of our inner man. He is saying that deep inside of us we must have this attitude of poverty, emptiness, humiliaty, and lack of sufficiency in ourselves. We must come to the end of ourselves and learn to only lean and depend on God for everything.

"Jesus gave them this answer: "Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself;" (John 5:19).

The son can do nothing by himself, he has no sufficiency in himself, he is utterly empty. This is the attitude of a slave who owns nothing, even himself does not belong to him, he is the property of another. Therefore no matter how much is in his possession or how great is the estate that he overseas, he is poor, it does not belong to him, he owns nothing. Jesus is saying the Kingdom of God is for those who have this attitude, who are empty inside, who sincerely feels like they own nothing despite their fat pocket, the large figures in their bank account, the properties that is in their name, the number of talents, skills, abilities, qualifications and the greatness of the knowledge they have.

They see themselves as empty before God, always relying on Him rather than their money, knowledge, wisdom, skills, abilities, talents, understanding, qualification, status and power in the society. They may be rich in all these things, but they rely on God instead, they feel like God is their true riches, their true qualification, their true wisdom, knowledge, understanding, their true power, talent and ability.

He is their all in all, the one and only thing they truly have. When we come to this level of emptiness then we are comformed to the true citizens of the Kingdom of God, for this is how the citizens of the Kingdom should be, this is their true nature and we need to start walking in that nature if truly we believe that we are the citizens of the Kingdom of God.

2 Likes

Re: "Poor In Spirit", What Does It Mean? by BBBmall25: 4:34pm On Dec 01, 2019
It Simply Mean Forgoing All Material Pursuit, Or Worldly Ambition For The Sake Of The Kingdom Of God

1 Like

Re: "Poor In Spirit", What Does It Mean? by Blabbermouth: 9:19pm On Dec 01, 2019
The MESSAGE translation even laid it down in a more literal expression.
3"You're blessed when you're at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and His rule.
And this happens through the death of the death that works in the flesh.
Here is a question for you;
Are there higher or deeper dimensions to death Or once you are dead to death, you are dead completely?

PS: @hiswordxray, I would love you to listen to this man's teaching; Apostle Joshua Selman.
Re: "Poor In Spirit", What Does It Mean? by Hiswordxray(m): 9:30pm On Dec 01, 2019
Blabbermouth:
The MESSAGE translation even laid it down in a more literal expression.
3"You're blessed when you're at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and His rule.
And this happens through the death of the death that works in the flesh.
Here is a question for you;
Are there higher or deeper dimensions to death Or once you are dead to death, you are dead completely?

PS: @hiswordxray, I would love you to listen to this man's teaching; Apostle Joshua Selman.

Thanks brother, we died once in Christ. But we progressively come into a living experience of this reality in Christ

2 Likes

Re: "Poor In Spirit", What Does It Mean? by Blabbermouth: 9:44pm On Dec 01, 2019
Hiswordxray:

Thanks brother, we died once in Christ. But we progressively come into a living experience of this reality in Christ
Yh, you are right.
I asked this question because of a personal experience I had as a newbie born again;When I became born again, I was totally dead to some kinds of sin and no matter what happened, I just cannot sin such sins.
Yet, there were some I fell into time to time when temptations came strong and it gave me that perk of "Oh no!!! LORD, I don't want to fail you." And I concluded in my thoughts "Maybe I haven't died enough."
It had caused me a lot of drag backs then and I wished I had avoided it. Why do these kinds of things happen to new believers? Many have gone cold and abandoned life in the spirit because of this.
Re: "Poor In Spirit", What Does It Mean? by Janosky: 9:59pm On Dec 01, 2019
Hiswordxray:
POOR IN SPIRIT

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." (Matt 5:3)
“Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." (Matt 6:33).

We are to seek the Kingdom of God above every other thing, and now Jesus is say the Kingdom of God is for those who are poor in spirit. This mean that if truly the Kingdom of God is ours then we are poor in spirit. But what does "poor in spirit" mean? The word poor there does not refer to lack of money or material wealth, and the word spirit there is definitely not referring to a spirit being.

"Poor" as used in this scripture refers to humility, emptiness, and lack of sufficiency in one's self. Yes, a man is considered poor when he finds no sufficiency in himself, he is not full of himself, but rather empty and in utter reliance on God. He leans heavily on God as he has nothing and can do nothing by himself. All that he has is God, he is utterly empty of himself. He finds himself always depending on God, for he does not know how to survive without God. Now, to understand the word "spirit" as used in that scripture we would look at another scripture.

The word spirit here is also not referring to a spirit being, rather it means a spiritual construct. Some other translation puts it this way, "to be made new in the attitude of your minds;" Attitude is a disposition, a state, an arrangement, a construct. The spirit of your mind therefore means the disposition of your mind, how your mind has been constructed to think, its attitude, how it behaves. A proper interpretation of that would be, "the spiritual nature of your inner man".

"Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed day by day." (2Cor 4:16).

Yes, the nature of your inner man, that person that you are inside needs to be renewed day by day as we are being conformed to the image of Christ. The person that you are inside determines how you think, how your mind behaves, and therefore what you do. Our spirits already has the nature of Christ, but our soul, our inner man, still needs to be conformed to that. We need to start expressing this divine nature, and as the scripture says, "out of the fullness of the heart the mouth speaks" (Matt 12:34).

We simply express who we are inside, the spiritual nature of our inner man. It is the nature of our inner man that needs to be constantly renewed, conforming to the nature of Christ. Therefore when Jesus said, "poor in spirit", he was referring to the spiritual nature of our inner man. He is saying that deep inside of us we must have this attitude of poverty, emptiness, humility, and lack of sufficiency in ourselves. We must come to the end of ourselves and learn to only lean and depend on God for everything.

"Jesus gave them this answer: "Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself;" (John 5:19).

The son can do nothing by himself, he has no sufficiency in himself, he is utterly empty. This is the attitude of a slave who owns nothing, even himself does not belong to him, he is the property of another. Therefore no matter how much is in his possession or how great is the estate that he overseas, he is poor, it does not belong to him, he owns nothing. Jesus is saying the Kingdom of God is for those who have this attitude, who are empty inside, who sincerely feels like they own nothing despite their fat pocket, the large figures in their bank account, the properties that is in their name, the number of talents, skills, abilities, qualifications and the greatness of the knowledge they have.

They see themselves as empty before God, always relying on Him rather than their money, knowledge, wisdom, skills, abilities, talents, understanding, qualification, status and power in the society. They may be rich in all these things, but they rely on God instead, they feel like God is their true riches, their true qualification, their true wisdom, knowledge, understanding, their true power, talent and ability.

He is their all in all, the one and only thing they truly have. When we come to this level of emptiness then we are comformed to the true citizens of the Kingdom of God, for this is how the citizens of the Kingdom should be, this is their true nature and we need to start walking in that nature if truly we believe that we are the citizens of the Kingdom of God.
* Matthew 5:3 NWT

3 “Happy are those conscious of their
spiritual need, since the Kingdom of the
heavens belongs to them."

*** In other words, happy are those conscious of their need for Jehovah God.
Compare Psalms 1:1-3. Rev 1:3.
Humility,self sacrifice, Faith ,Love & obedience to Jehovah's righteous standard even though it's unpopular in the world.
1 John 2:15-17.
Re: "Poor In Spirit", What Does It Mean? by Janosky: 10:00pm On Dec 01, 2019
Hiswordxray:
POOR IN SPIRIT

We simply express who we are inside, the spiritual nature of our inner man. It is the nature of our inner man that needs to be constantly renewed, conforming to the nature of Christ. Therefore when Jesus said, "poor in spirit", he was referring to the spiritual nature of our inner man. He is saying that deep inside of us we must have this attitude of poverty, emptiness, humility, and lack of sufficiency in ourselves. We must come to the end of ourselves and learn to only lean and depend on God for everything.

* Matthew 5:3 NWT

3 “Happy are those conscious of their
spiritual need, since the Kingdom of the
heavens belongs to them."

*** In other words, happy are those conscious of their need for Jehovah God.
Compare Psalms 1:1-3. Rev 1:3.
Humility,self sacrifice, Faith ,Love & obedience to Jehovah's righteous standard even though it's unpopular in the world.
1 John 2:15-17. 1John5:19.

1 Like

Re: "Poor In Spirit", What Does It Mean? by Finallydead: 1:37pm On Dec 03, 2019
Blabbermouth:

Yh, you are right.
I asked this question because of a personal experience I had as a newbie born again;When I became born again, I was totally dead to some kinds of sin and no matter what happened, I just cannot sin such sins.
Yet, there were some I fell into time to time when temptations came strong and it gave me that perk of "Oh no!!! LORD, I don't want to fail you." And I concluded in my thoughts "Maybe I haven't died enough."
It had caused me a lot of drag backs then and I wished I had avoided it. Why do these kinds of things happen to new believers? Many have gone cold and abandoned life in the spirit because of this.

Most times its not the new believers fault but the lack of proper teaching in today's christianity. Have you passed through the necessary baptisms that bring about the manifestation of the christ-life. If you haven't, it will be a continual struggle and even when we lose some habits, there will still be a lack of the Presence of Christ. First is the infilling of the spirit which gives you power to superimpose the spirit on the flesh (if you get the genuine one with divine and not mechanical blind "faith" tongues). Second is the baptism of fire which sets your flesh nature on fire, burning it away and literally turns you to a brand new creation under Christ. Pray for each of these until you get them and see the turn around in your life
Re: "Poor In Spirit", What Does It Mean? by Hiswordxray(m): 7:37am On Dec 07, 2019
Hmmm, I see
Re: "Poor In Spirit", What Does It Mean? by Blabbermouth: 1:32pm On Dec 07, 2019
Finallydead:

Most times its not the new believers fault but the lack of proper teaching in today's christianity. Have you passed through the necessary baptisms that bring about the manifestation of the christ-life. If you haven't, it will be a continual struggle and even when we lose some habits, there will still be a lack of the Presence of Christ. First is the infilling of the spirit which gives you power to superimpose the spirit on the flesh (if you get the genuine one with divine and not mechanical blind "faith" tongues). Second is the baptism of fire which sets your flesh nature on fire, burning it away and literally turns you to a brand new creation under Christ. Pray for each of these until you get them and see the turn around in your life
Yeah, you are right. Nevertheless, every one faces temptations and not all overcome, whether being truly born again or not. The brand new creation doesn't just fall on us automatically, like the Promise land in the days of Moses. Although it has been bequeathed unto us through the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the new creation is something we Press into.
I had a rough start at the beginning, but Glory to God now.
Re: "Poor In Spirit", What Does It Mean? by Finallydead: 2:49pm On Dec 07, 2019
Blabbermouth:

Yeah, you are right. Nevertheless, every one faces temptations and not all overcome, whether being truly born again or not. The brand new creation doesn't just fall on us automatically, like the Promise land in the days of Moses. Although it has been bequeathed unto us through the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the new creation is something we Press into.
I had a rough start at the beginning, but Glory to God now.

If by press into, you mean what i called praying until you get these, then I don't know if I said wrong. If you're correcting something I said wrong, please point it clearly out for me.

1 Like

Re: "Poor In Spirit", What Does It Mean? by Blabbermouth: 3:09pm On Dec 07, 2019
Finallydead:

If by press into, you mean what i called praying until you get these, then I don't know if I said wrong. If you're correcting something I said wrong, please point it clearly out for me.

Only buttressed something significant to other readers... you weren't wrong.
Re: "Poor In Spirit", What Does It Mean? by Hiswordxray(m): 5:04pm On Dec 15, 2019
We compliment one another to be built up in the truth
Re: "Poor In Spirit", What Does It Mean? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Dec 15, 2019
"POOR IN SPIRIT"

When someone is said to be POOR, it means such a person is lacking something necessary.
So for Jesus to use the term POOR along with SPIRIT, it indicates that such a person "knows he/she is seriously in need of SPIRITUAL FOOD"

The gospel account shows how majority in the first century thought they're RICH spiritually when just few realised their need for it which means such ones are POOR in spirit!

While those who acknowledged they are POOR IN SPIRIT keep going to Jesus to be fed spiritually {John 3:1-3} those who feels they're RICH ignored Jesus and even antagonize anyone going to him! John 7:45-49, 9:22 compared to Luke 16:19-31

So Jesus meant those who can give what it takes to buy the TRUTH of God's word not just what the majority wants! Matthew 7:13-14, Luke 13:24

God bless you!
Re: "Poor In Spirit", What Does It Mean? by Hiswordxray(m): 10:56am On Dec 22, 2019
Maximus69:
"POOR IN SPIRIT"

When someone is said to be POOR, it means such a person is lacking something necessary.
So for Jesus to use the term POOR along with SPIRIT, it indicates that such a person "knows he/she is seriously in need of SPIRITUAL FOOD"

The gospel account shows how majority in the first century thought they're RICH spiritually when just few realised their need for it which means such ones are POOR in spirit!

While those who acknowledged they are POOR IN SPIRIT keep going to Jesus to be fed spiritually {John 3:1-3} those who feels they're RICH ignored Jesus and even antagonize anyone going to him! John 7:45-49, 9:22 compared to Luke 16:19-31

So Jesus meant those who can give what it takes to buy the TRUTH of God's word not just what the majority wants! Matthew 7:13-14, Luke 13:24

God bless you!

Amen

(1) (Reply)

5 Reasons Islam Is Not From The God Of Abraham / What Is The Assembly Of The Saints? / Can You Allow Your Wife To Be Closer To Your Pastor?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.