Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,721 members, 7,816,971 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:38 PM

Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres (36443 Views)

How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired / Budget Tyres Are Not Safe For Nigerian Roads / Reasons Why Thick Tyres Are Better Than The Standard Models (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by AutoReportNG: 2:01pm On May 06, 2019
Most at times, we see some certain things in our cars but we don't know how they come into place. Many car owners must have noticed that some of the spare tyres in one way or the other seems to be smaller than the actual ones that are with the car. We at AutoReportNG was a bit puzzled with this too until we came across an insightful post that explains the reason.

Nothing annoys a driver more than having a flat tyre especially if the driver happens to be a lady. Lagos road is not a place you wish or pray to have a flat tyre because anything can happen irrespective of the time be it day or night.

You did not expect it, but the car just got a flat tire and you are stuck somewhere on the way. The only option that comes to rescue here is that spare tire. The tire that was attached along with your vehicle the whole time. Many times, we see a spare tire to be somewhat lighter or smaller than a regular tire. Well, there is a reason behind ‘spare tire smaller than others’ and the same we are going to clarify here.

Spare Tire Smaller Than Others – Types of Spare Tires
The road conditions can always surprise you, and so the automobile manufacturers provide you with an extra tire. This tire can help you covering those miles that take you to a nearby repair shop or your home. Here we are describing the term ‘spare tire’ more clearly and the types of spare tire you can rely on.

The Definition of a Spare Tire

[img]https://2.bp..com/-cP6mNdi-KWY/XNAl60dbwlI/AAAAAAAAbIc/cP2pMDBj3EkLhnhwnEiqKHZhVAQDxyemACLcBGAs/s1600/spare-tire-meaning.jpg[/img]

In some cases, spare tires are full-sized tires just like the other tires in your car. When a tire goes flat, these tires allow you to drive as usual. You can cover a distance to any repair shop. You would also not notice any changes in handling or driving the vehicle.

Another case is about a donut tire or ‘spare tire smaller than others.’ These are emergency tires that let you drive to a certain point so you can get a new full-size regular tire. While driving on a donut tire, you cannot and should not operate at a higher speed.

The reason behind regular spare tires got replaced with donut tire is the lack of usage. Manufacturers realize that the regular spare tires do not get used frequently and so they designed donut tires. Another reason was the weight and convenience. As donut tires are smaller and lighter in size, this type is more in use these days instead of those traditional and heavy regular spare tires.

A Run-Flat Tire
Other than regular and donut – the spare tire different size, there is a new type that is ‘Run-flat tire.’ It is a new approach in automobiles these days that is more advantageous over both types of regular and a donut. Though these tires also need replacement timely, they serve for longer than any other tires in case of a puncture.

[img]https://3.bp..com/-GS47KnpouUo/XNAisvOWzMI/AAAAAAAAbIU/V5ep-p-S1HoReZ2MFRVCD7TOLcxaOfKmgCLcBGAs/s1600/tyre.jpg[/img]

A Run-Flat Tire serves even after a puncture that you can cover 50 miles before seeing it failed. It is a pretty good distance you can cover and reach the repair shop. You can even reach your destination without worrying about the replacement any soon. Maintain your car even better by reading out tips from Maintenance Tips.

Conclusion
The convenience is the primary reason on ‘spare tire smaller than others.’ These small tires are space-saving, and light in weight. They can make you reach to any nearby repair shop where you can get ready to drive again.

Though you can always approach for run-flat tires if they already come with your vehicle, ask experts before installing them to an automobile that does not add up run-flat tires by default.

Credit:
CFJ, Mechanic, Tyres Lovers

Source:
https://www.autoreportng.com/2019/05/reasons-why-spare-tyres-are-smaller.html

L

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by AutoReportNG: 2:02pm On May 06, 2019
Whats your take?
Re: Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by KingAzubuike(f): 2:13pm On May 06, 2019

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by OgogoroFreak(m): 2:23pm On May 06, 2019
I hate that donut tire with passion. I wish they replace it with puff puff tire soon.

25 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by Firgemachar: 5:03pm On May 06, 2019
Doughnut tyres look awkward.
Your reasons are not good enough!
I think manufacturers are just cutting costs!!

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by larry90500(m): 5:08pm On May 06, 2019
Wow, nice piece from the writer.

I like the tone of the Article Write-up.

But then, the run flat tire is still not clear. Probably I'll read up on it myself.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by AkataYeriYeri: 5:08pm On May 06, 2019
Mtchww

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by Ebios(m): 5:08pm On May 06, 2019
The guy above me, thanks for the mitcheew
Insteady of them to go straight to the point, they are there beating abt the bush...
l didn't even read to the end sef!
Of what use is the info sef?
Abeg, make l dey read better thing... esp how d minimum wage increase will positively affect my small pay

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by suxes2005(m): 5:08pm On May 06, 2019
AutoReportNG:
Whats your take?

I think it’s not fair to be on the FP as the OP and the ftc

Thanks ��

8 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by chuks34(m): 5:08pm On May 06, 2019
As i never buy motor nko
Re: Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by adewest1999(m): 5:11pm On May 06, 2019
Bet y okada no dey get spare tire @autojosh...the tire no dey burst
Re: Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by JejeNaija(m): 5:12pm On May 06, 2019
okay

I was expecting the OP to hit the nail on the head which he didn't.

The reason for the donut tires is simply because, with the normal regular tires, most users do not see the need to replace or repair their damaged tire and end up not having a spare tire anymore for an emergency.

With the dunut tire, the vehicle user would always make it a priority to change his regular tire and still have his spare tire in place.

I don't know if I have made sense here.

100 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by Ekakamba: 5:12pm On May 06, 2019
THANK YOU, I DO WONDER WHY BUT NEVER HAD THE CHANCE TO GOOGLE IT. grin tongue

LEMME WAIT FOR 'WHY THE LEFT RIGHT BREEST IS SMALLER THAN THE OTHER.
Re: Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by zone51: 5:27pm On May 06, 2019
Our people no mind to dey use ham continuously
Re: Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by NotBeenPaid: 5:31pm On May 06, 2019

Its just an emergency tire not meant for long distances and heavy loads.

Re: Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by MEDICPATH(m): 5:32pm On May 06, 2019
Wow insightful
Re: Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by momodub: 5:57pm On May 06, 2019
Nice one
Re: Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by vicdom(m): 6:19pm On May 06, 2019
JejeNaija:
okay

The reason for the donut tires is simply because, with the normal regular tires, most users do not see the need to replace or repair their damaged tire and end up not having a spare tire anymore for an emergency.

With the dunut tire, the vehicle user would always make it a priority to change his regular tire and still have his spare tire in place.

You have said it all man. Kudos to your reasoning prowess kiss

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by skales67(m): 6:23pm On May 06, 2019
JejeNaija:
okay

Your own explanation made perfect sense more than that of the OP!

6 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by pinkyruledworld(m): 6:24pm On May 06, 2019
JejeNaija:
okay

u made a lot of sense than the op.
Man was just going off topic, yours is better

4 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by ziga: 6:25pm On May 06, 2019
Run flats... Like you said can be driven for up to 50 miles despite a puncture.

However, they are expensive and are not supposed to be repaired. They need to be replaced for them to continue to function as they were meant to be.

And they have nothing to do with spares. Usually cars that are fitted with run flats do not come with spare tires.

The small size of spares aka "donuts" is space and weight saving.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by Legendguru: 6:32pm On May 06, 2019
oh
Re: Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by donbenie(m): 6:36pm On May 06, 2019
Firgemachar:
Doughnut tyres look awkward.
Your reasons are not good enough!
I think manufacturers are just cutting costs!!
They are not cutting costs,

Being lighter and smaller makes it less tasking on your car..

If you drive Corollas and other smaller cars you will notice that every kilogram of weight matters,

You don't want to be dragging UNNECESSARY dead weight up and down..

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by gabria2003: 6:42pm On May 06, 2019
pls can you give me names of good tyre I can get for a car.thanks
Re: Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by PrimadonnaO(f): 7:01pm On May 06, 2019
JejeNaija:
okay

Totally made sense. This is the true reason.

What the hell is lightweight and convenient? Tyre that would most likely always be in the trunk until a real need for it comes up. undecided

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by femi4: 7:30pm On May 06, 2019
AutoReportNG:
Whats your take?
Its easier to fix, you don't need to jack all up very high like the normal tyres
Re: Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by grandlexuz(m): 8:08pm On May 06, 2019
Spare tires are smaller because
1. Designed to take up less space than a normal tire would when stored.

2. Made to minimize the extra weight it puts on the car.

3. Composed of a light-weight metal for its rim that makes it easier to lift and install.

4. Not intended for long-term use like standard tires.

5. Are intended to travel less than 100 miles and under 50 mph.

6 Created specifically for the vehicle it comes with.

7. Cheaper for OEMs to make and include with the vehicle.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by grandlexuz(m): 8:08pm On May 06, 2019
Hmm..noted
Re: Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by DelTel(m): 8:39pm On May 06, 2019
JejeNaija:
okay

Thanks for your educative response.

The topic already dealt with in another thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/4691544/why-it-not-safe-drive#70526659
Re: Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by StarPaidrecords: 8:43pm On May 06, 2019
Once drove spare tire from Abuja to Lagos , since I had no option on the high way
Re: Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres by Goahead(m): 9:09pm On May 06, 2019
Autoreportng is not a seasoned writer, he's better off pursuing his carrier in another niche other these jargon he's used to present on this forum.

His gibberish is an embarrassment to car enthusiasts and Nigeria at large. Seun should hang him by the balls!

6 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Makes A Car Bounce? / Mercedes-Benz Unveils The All-New 2019 G550 G-Wagon / Chinese Clone Of Range Rover Evoque,The LandWind X7,Gets A Facelift

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.