Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,299 members, 7,819,009 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:56 AM

Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection (22390 Views)

Bandits Impose Levies On Sokoto Communities, Issue Ultimatum For Payment / Tinubu, Lawan, APC Govs To Storm Edo For Campaign Rally / Computer Village Traders Tackle Folashade Tinubu-Ojo Over "Illegal" Levies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection by shiwex: 8:04pm On Dec 04, 2019
Esejojo:
Impressive. When will other governors follow suite?

Especially Lagos.....where Oluomo has turned himself into a lord with Tinubu's backing.

1 Like

Re: Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection by Awodip: 8:04pm On Dec 04, 2019
Fake governor
Re: Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection by chukwuibuipob: 8:05pm On Dec 04, 2019
undecided sad
Re: Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection by Nobody: 8:06pm On Dec 04, 2019
Born2Breed:
Edo odion.

This is good governance,ambode was planning same thing but they quickly removed him.

Agbero and Lagos are Siamese twins.

So agbero no dey igboland abi?

You are a bloody tribalist!

3 Likes

Re: Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection by osazsky(m): 8:09pm On Dec 04, 2019
babyfaceafrica:
is this an achievement?
yes,I know u and Karbala wont like this,go learn work no more free money,kabaka remited only 30m monthly from oredo now we get over 200m from oredo alone in a month,I repeat go learn work,if it's only pensions and local govt workers salaries the money is used for we are ok,oshio ur master dissolved pensions board for 8 years before our saviour came, my dad is now smiling to d bank every month end unlike the era if d devlush evil bastard shot man,oga go learn work agbero nor b work d tin pain am

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection by paparazi1(m): 8:09pm On Dec 04, 2019
AutoJoshNG:
In Nigeria, the collection of levies from commercial motorists is a multi-billion naira industry, especially in major cities.

The responsibility of collecting these levies typically falls on the road transport unions and/or political allies of politicians. Sadly, a huge chunk of these monies is usually unaccounted for, as they often find their ways into private pockets.

The current Edo State Government, as led by Governor Godwin Obaseki, has made a clear departure from that norm.

In 2017, the Edo State Government took over the responsibility of collecting levies from non-government agents. They did this when they introduced the scratch card model of tax payment. This method is intended to be used in the informal and mobile sector particularly in the transport operators.

In order to implement this model, the State government trained Local government staff as revenue collectors. The training prepared them on their roles/guidelines for revenue collection through the use of scratch cards. They were also trained to understand how it would boost revenue collection as well as straighten grey areas.

With this new method of revenue collection, commercial bus drivers are expected to buy scratch cards worth N800 daily with an additional N200 payment on any other Local government ventured into. This is unlike previously when drivers paid agents of road unions and touts between 1500 to 1600  at different locations. Upon purchase, the pin from the scratch cards is then entered into a hand-held electronic payment device to validate it.

This method has significantly enhanced the internally generated revenue, simplified the tax collection process and improved accountability.

Most drivers interviewed admitted that the new system has sanitized the system. They also revealed that it has saved them from harassments from touts and agents of the road unions previously saddled with the responsibility of collecting the taxes.

Obaseki recently acknowledged that the revenue base of the state has risen with the new system as N500,000 was being realised from nine points in Oredo local government whereas only N45,000 was remitted from the nine points.

It would be recalled that on January 1st, 2017, Governor Godwin Obaseki outlawed the use of private revenue collectors in the state.

This accomplishment is truly one legacy Edo State will bequeath to the Nigerian Revenue Administration process and indeed other emerging economies of Africa.

Source:

https://autojosh.com/gov-obaseki-is-revolutionizing-how-levies-are-collected-from-commercial-motorists-see-how/

The Rivers State Gov Wike was the first to implement this kudos to him

1 Like

Re: Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection by Mrpojj(m): 8:12pm On Dec 04, 2019
AutoJoshNG:
In Nigeria, the collection of levies from commercial motorists is a multi-billion naira industry, especially in major cities.

The responsibility of collecting these levies typically falls on the road transport unions and/or political allies of politicians. Sadly, a huge chunk of these monies is usually unaccounted for, as they often find their ways into private pockets.

The current Edo State Government, as led by Governor Godwin Obaseki, has made a clear departure from that norm.

In 2017, the Edo State Government took over the responsibility of collecting levies from non-government agents. They did this when they introduced the scratch card model of tax payment. This method is intended to be used in the informal and mobile sector particularly in the transport operators.

In order to implement this model, the State government trained Local government staff as revenue collectors. The training prepared them on their roles/guidelines for revenue collection through the use of scratch cards. They were also trained to understand how it would boost revenue collection as well as straighten grey areas.

With this new method of revenue collection, commercial bus drivers are expected to buy scratch cards worth N800 daily with an additional N200 payment on any other Local government ventured into. This is unlike previously when drivers paid agents of road unions and touts between 1500 to 1600  at different locations. Upon purchase, the pin from the scratch cards is then entered into a hand-held electronic payment device to validate it.

This method has significantly enhanced the internally generated revenue, simplified the tax collection process and improved accountability.

Most drivers interviewed admitted that the new system has sanitized the system. They also revealed that it has saved them from harassments from touts and agents of the road unions previously saddled with the responsibility of collecting the taxes.

Obaseki recently acknowledged that the revenue base of the state has risen with the new system as N500,000 was being realised from nine points in Oredo local government whereas only N45,000 was remitted from the nine points.

It would be recalled that on January 1st, 2017, Governor Godwin Obaseki outlawed the use of private revenue collectors in the state.

This accomplishment is truly one legacy Edo State will bequeath to the Nigerian Revenue Administration process and indeed other emerging economies of Africa.

Source:

https://autojosh.com/gov-obaseki-is-revolutionizing-how-levies-are-collected-from-commercial-motorists-see-how/

He has copied Rivers State governor
Now let me explain what will happen
He will introduce the new payment system, the old collectors will refuse and still be compelling drivers to pay them something, the drivers will in turn increase their fares and the masses will bear the brunt

1 Like

Re: Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection by Born2Breed(f): 8:13pm On Dec 04, 2019
ProudlyAfarmer:

So agbero no dey igboland abi?

You are a bloody tribalist!

....and you Mr.Idiot,a bloody mo.ron.

2 Likes

Re: Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection by osazsky(m): 8:14pm On Dec 04, 2019
shiwex:

Especially Lagos.....where Oluomo has turned himself into a lord with Tinubu's backing.
ur governor can learn from obaseki, he should cross his mind and hand over tax collection to local govt irrespective of d consequences, I used to think nobody could match kabaka not until obaseki came,kabaka then way him and him boys they beat policemen anyhow ,,if I tell u wat he did to my aunt u go start to cry for me,but were his he today how has d mighty fallen,nothing lasts for ever,if only our present politicians know this ,,,,,nothing last forever, 4 years is very short ask uniben previous VC osarumwense

4 Likes

Re: Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection by Godhatesodomy: 8:18pm On Dec 04, 2019
Wow
Re: Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection by chloride6: 8:22pm On Dec 04, 2019
O
Born2Breed:
Edo odion.

This is good governance,ambode was planning same thing but they quickly removed him.

Agbero and Lagos are Siamese twins.

Is that why he refused to fix roads and collect the garbage
Re: Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection by aimuan(m): 8:27pm On Dec 04, 2019
madapcmod:
Na why Tony Kabaka the chief tout of Edo state courtesy of Oshiomothief is against Obaseki

Under Oshiomole, the chief tout celebrated N1billion Naira account balance openly.

Under Oshiomole Tony kabaka built mighty hotel in govt land and he started crying when Obaseki wanted to demolish it
i don't understand why obaseki backed down on the demolition plan.

2 Likes

Re: Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection by Nobody: 8:28pm On Dec 04, 2019
Good, but easily undoable. All it takes is for one idiot to take over from the current governor and we're back to square one. Just look at the progress Goodluck Jonathan achieved with our electoral process, and now look at how easily the useless Buhari reversed all the progress achieved and took us back to the locust years.

That's my grouse about Nigeria. We need to achieve incremental milestones that can't be undone. Our institutions and processes are just too weak.

2 Likes

Re: Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection by aimuan(m): 8:29pm On Dec 04, 2019
osazsky:
ur governor can learn from obaseki, he should cross his mind and hand over tax collection to local govt irrespective of d consequences, I used to think nobody could match kabaka not until obaseki came,kabaka then way him and him boys they beat policemen anyhow ,,if I tell u wat he did to my aunt u go start to cry for me,but were his he today how has d mighty fallen,nothing lasts for ever,if only our present politicians know this ,,,,,nothing last forever, 4 years is very short ask uniben previous VC osarumwense
How about his house that was supposed to be demolished? That's my interest.

2 Likes

Re: Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection by madapcmod: 8:30pm On Dec 04, 2019
aimuan:
i don't understand why obaseki backed down on the demolition plan.

APC party faithfuls advised him against it as it will worsen the already terrible relationship

1 Like

Re: Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection by Cantonese: 8:31pm On Dec 04, 2019
Oshiomole actually started this process in his first term as the governor of Edo state. He checkmated people like Bobizua and brought sanity into the transportation system is Edo state.

Oshiomole and Obaseki should both be commended for their efforts. Obaseki improved on what he met and took advantage to increase the IGR of Edo state. Now rather than money getting into the pockets of a few touts and giving them big chieftancy titles and weapons of violence, everyone in Edo state can enjoy better infrastrutures and the state can move forward.

Governor Makinde banned the unions in Oyo because of their abuse of the advantage they perceived that they had. Now at least there is peace in Oyo state.

Go to the south east and south south and you will find relative peace with the unions.

Lagos state has to do something about unions. The impunity has grown in leaps as political leaders seem to need them during elections to secure power and remain in power. During his tenure as a governor in Lagos state, Buba Maruwa banned the unions and they were completely silenced until he left. Now we are told the the NURTW in Lagos generates over 88 billion naira into the pockets of the leaders and their protectors. Such amount of money, using the model of Obaseki, can make even Lagos roads very beautiful again. Several infrastructural works can be put in place.

Hopefully our able governor Sanwo Olu can summon the courage to break away from the established order and stand on the side of the people to move Lagos to the next level.

Cheers.
Re: Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection by edoairways: 8:33pm On Dec 04, 2019
Chino099:
When will double taxation end in that state? Expecially for business owners along the ring road and new Benin axis
What do you mean by double taxation?
Re: Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection by edoairways: 8:37pm On Dec 04, 2019
pawesome:
the problem isnt the now..the problem is the lata...will the cards be available when needed?
It is available infact the governor used similar template for public bus. The cards are available at strategic locations in Benin metropolis
Re: Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection by edoairways: 8:41pm On Dec 04, 2019
osazsky:
What did he do if I may ask?
Re: Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection by chinjo(m): 8:46pm On Dec 04, 2019
tayo67:
All to modernise thiefry and co0rruption
Mumu
Re: Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection by Dejohnbull: 8:49pm On Dec 04, 2019
Knox123:
shocked

One scratch card can be used by drivers in a week or more after purchase. Nigerians has a way of bypassing things. What they (drivers) simply do is that they would refused to give the card to revenue collectors for validation.

The next day, they flash that same card to collectors while driving fast telling them "I done buy ticket oo"
Please add the bus drivers they will prefer flashing u 200 instead of the government 800

1 Like

Re: Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection by Hallenjay: 8:51pm On Dec 04, 2019
Am surprised about all this comment here.
So no one is old enough to know the existence of this program.
For ur info this has been on for over 3 years now and Obaseki is just using this to get sympathy from the people against wat will befell him.
He's a strong man no doubt abt that,he's using all available means especially the media to get abuja on his side but edo people know he's no where close to dat sit come 2020.
I pity him and his media stunt.
Re: Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection by Tulsaguy: 9:03pm On Dec 04, 2019
Ojuyobo of Lagos, the Tinubu of Bourdelion & the biggest landlord in Africa won't like this.....
Re: Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection by misterjosh(m): 9:15pm On Dec 04, 2019
Lagos really needs this.
Re: Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection by Nobody: 9:18pm On Dec 04, 2019
Esejojo:
Impressive. When will other governors follow suite?
if I hear? you want to block their avenue to loot, no make MC olu omo vex ooo
Re: Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection by musicwriter(m): 9:38pm On Dec 04, 2019
Good job by the governor. Good job!

This's the type of initiative that works in Africa because the populace can relate to it. No complicated process to follow, just pay your tax with recharge card as you'll normally do for your mobile phone credit.

No more room for touts and miscreants. Problem of accountability solved because goverment knows how many cards printed and the expected revenue.

You begin to wonder why they want him out.
Re: Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection by wallisdon: 9:44pm On Dec 04, 2019
What is the governor using the tax money to do? No project ,no emolyment and no empowerment.He is busy laundering the Money and sharing among the few to the detriment of the general Edo people.Obaseki is a big failure.
Re: Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection by YorubastardSon: 9:46pm On Dec 04, 2019
Re: Obaseki Introduces Revenue Scratch Card In Edo For Levies Collection by Nobody: 10:07pm On Dec 04, 2019
Born2Breed:

....and you Mr.Idiot,a bloody mo.ron.

W H A T D I D I D O?

I mean what did I do?

Or is it a crime to advise someone to stop being tribalistic?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

VAT: FIRS Threatens Those Paying To Rivers After Losing In Court / Thugs Beat Punch Correspondent In Ekiti / Waec Statistics In 1961 and 1967

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.