Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,275 members, 7,836,234 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy (1150 Views)

New FG Employees Lament Non-payment Of Salaries Two Years After Employment / Buhari Approves New Electricity Tariff; Rich Nigerians To Pay More / The New Electricity Tariff Across The Country Approved By Discos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy by tshege(m): 7:36am On Dec 05, 2019
In a press release shared by the office of the Federal Minister of Power, electricity consumers are likely to start paying more for electricity following the new federal government electricity distribution policy called “Willing Seller, Willing Buyer”.

Under the new differential Power distribution policy, electricity would be wheeled directly from the Generation Companies to willing consumers who are ready to settle their bills fully.
The willing consumers may include community and commercial clusters, industrial areas and hospitality sectors.

Speaking on a Freedom Radio Phone in programme in Kano, the Minister of Power, Engr Sale Mamman said, the policy was designed to save energy losses in the Power sector and assist Generation Companies who have not been getting the full payment for their generated power.

The policy has already taken off as a pilot scheme in two states.
The Minister revealed that DisCos have not been distributing all the power wheeled to them on the pretext that the consumers were unable to pay for the Power. This action by the DISCOS, he said necessitated the massive Federal government’s subsidy intervention in the Power sector by paying the GenCos for undistributed power.

Engr Sale Mamman lamented that last year the Federal government approved an intervention fund of 700 billion Naira to the GenCos and just recently another 600 billion Naira was approved for the same purpose. He explained that this huge subsidy was an overbearing burden on the government, adding that over 2,000MW of electricity was not being distributed due to the failure of the distribution chain.

https://naijaolodo.com/electricity-tariff-set-to-increase-following-new-fg-policy/
Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy by majamajic(m): 7:40am On Dec 05, 2019
when people complain about not having light

I always ask them can Nigerians pay for electricity ?

3k a month , u wan get light 24/7

1 Like

Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy by tshege(m): 7:44am On Dec 05, 2019
Electricity is expensive but Nigerians don't want to hear. In short, the federal government is subsidizing our entire existence in Nigeria. Everything we get in this country is subsidized by our ever benevolent government. This is why we are not making progress.
You cannot spoon-feed an adult and expect her to fend for her self successfully.
majamajic:

Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy by Seventy7kings: 7:58am On Dec 05, 2019
undecided
Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy by backnbeta(f): 8:05am On Dec 05, 2019
No wahala, as far as the zombies don't get a discount grin

4 Likes

Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy by hisgrace090: 8:25am On Dec 05, 2019
Under policy called, "willing seller, willing buyers".

A great move to industrialization of Nigeria.
Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy by majamajic(m): 9:09am On Dec 05, 2019
tshege:
Electricity is expensive but Nigerians don't want to hear. In short, the federal government is subsidizing our entire existence in Nigeria. Everything we get in this country is subsidized by our ever benevolent government. This is why we are not making progress.
You cannot spoon-feed an adult and expect her to fend for her self successfully.

like in Dubai , 3 bedroom flat , one month electricity bill is around 50k -70 k , but it's 24/7.
Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy by agwom(m): 9:11am On Dec 05, 2019
undecided
Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy by Topleague(m): 9:45am On Dec 05, 2019
in ghana here we pay more than 25k naira for 2 bedroom flat per month. Nigeria need to start paying realistic price if they want to enjoy utility.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy by walexbiz(m): 9:53am On Dec 05, 2019
majamajic:

the problem is not the ability to pay but rather the failure of distribution companies to meter their respective customers. the Discos saw that estimated billing as an avenue to short change but consumers and FG.
Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy by ursullalinda(f): 10:29am On Dec 05, 2019
It has increased already.....our last bill is high.....and yet power supply is reducing.....God Nigeria don tire me
Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy by agbangam: 10:55am On Dec 05, 2019
majamajic:

My friend sharap, we have the gas, the water, the sun and the wind but our dumb leaders won't stop stealing. So till we start paying 10k per KW before Nigerians will start enjoying stable power supply Una go just dey make person vex angry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy by codedguy1(m): 10:55am On Dec 05, 2019
majamajic:

majamajic:

like in Dubai , 3 bedroom flat , one month electricity bill is around 50k -70 k , but it's 24/7.

Please stop talking nonsense. What is the minimum wage in Nigeria? Compare that with the Dubai you are talking about.

Share prepaid meter! Mba, they will not but start shouting that people don't want to pay.

Even if prepaid meter is shared to everyone we still wouldnt get 24/7 light because we know what we generate and what is distributed.

4 Likes

Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy by helinues: 11:00am On Dec 05, 2019
Paying more on darkness
Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy by sapele914(m): 11:30am On Dec 05, 2019
majamajic:

You hit the nail, right on point, no way we can get constant electricity at the present price.
Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy by majamajic(m): 12:15pm On Dec 05, 2019
codedguy1:

Please stop talking nonsense. What is the minimum wage in Nigeria? Compare that with the Dubai you are talking about.

Share prepaid meter! Mba, they will not but start shouting that people don't want to pay.

Even if prepaid meter is shared to everyone we still wouldnt get 24/7 light because we know what we generate and what is distributed.

so u can't make your comment without abusive words ? believe it or leave it Nigerians can't pay for constant electricity , if they give u prepaid and it's running 24/7 , how much is the tariff u are paying ? if NEPA run constant light 24/7 on the same tarrif , They will run down , constant electricity is not cheap anywhere in the world !!!
Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy by SarkinYarki: 12:20pm On Dec 05, 2019
majamajic:

Keep quiet stop using your ghetto neighborhood bad as a yardstick to say Nigerians can pay for light , even with the 3 hours of electricity I get a day I spend nothing less than 25k a month and and double that for generating my own power

3 Likes

Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy by SarkinYarki: 12:22pm On Dec 05, 2019
So instead of the govt to force the thieving DISCOs to accept power from the Gencos the govt instead spent 1.3 trillion naira subsidizing wasted electricity ...Damn the people in govt are really mad I swear ..You can't even make this up
Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy by SarkinYarki: 12:24pm On Dec 05, 2019
tshege:

Money is being looted and you are calling it subsidy ..did you even understand the write up at all ? The govt is spending 1.3 trillion naira to pay GENCOS for wasted electricity the DISCOS have deliberately refused to accept ...does that even make sense to you ?

1 Like

Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy by codedguy1(m): 12:44pm On Dec 05, 2019
majamajic:

so u can't make your comment without abusive words ? believe it or leave it Nigerians can't pay for constant electricity , if they give u prepaid and it's running 24/7 , how much is the tariff u are paying ? if NEPA run constant light 24/7 on the same tarrif , They will run down , constant electricity is not cheap anywhere in the world !!!

I didn't abuse you. I only implied what you are saying isn't making sense when you compared a situation in Dubai with Nigeria.

That's the point, cist of electricity being expensive is relative. If you have travelled abroad you would understand that no matter how expensive electricity is the citizens can pay. That tells you that there are other indices that allow that to happen.

To pay someone 30kinimum wage and expect that person to pay about 10 - 15k for electricity bill monthly is ridiculous.

Constant electricity can be affordable for all.

3 Likes

Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy by majamajic(m): 1:02pm On Dec 05, 2019
codedguy1:

I didn't abuse you. I only implied what you are saying isn't making sense when you compared a situation in Dubai with Nigeria.

That's the point, cist of electricity being expensive is relative. If you have travelled abroad you would understand that no matter how expensive electricity is the citizens can pay. That tells you that there are other indices that allow that to happen.

To pay someone 30kinimum wage and expect that person to pay about 10 - 15k for electricity bill monthly is ridiculous.

Constant electricity can be affordable for all.

that means the problem with electricity is not from NEPA , it has to do with economy of the country , based on what we are receiving here as salaries , if NEPA give constant light and up their tarrif accordingly , that 30k wage can only go as electricity bill

note - I have lived and been to over 6 cities outside Africa or Nigeria

at least I have a little idea ,
Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy by codedguy1(m): 1:22pm On Dec 05, 2019
majamajic:

that means the problem with electricity is not from NEPA , it has to do with economy of the country , based on what we are receiving here as salaries , if NEPA give constant light and up their tarrif accordingly , that 30k wage can only go as electricity bill

note - I have lived and been to over 6 cities outside Africa or Nigeria

at least I have a little idea ,

If 30k should give you 24hrs electricity everyday for a month. What then do you think the minimum wage should be? Considering electricity is one of the basic amenities everyone should have.

IDEALLY, if everyone is metered electricity should be between 3k monthly to 15kmonthly depending on the house and usage.

We can't have an economy in shambles and expect to compare cost of electricity or any other basic amenities with countries that are very stable in both monetary and fiscal policies.
Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy by majamajic(m): 4:17pm On Dec 05, 2019
codedguy1:

If 30k should give you 24hrs electricity everyday for a month. What then do you think the minimum wage should be? Considering electricity is one of the basic amenities everyone should have.

IDEALLY, if everyone is metered electricity should be between 3k monthly to 15kmonthly depending on the house and usage.

We can't have an economy in shambles and expect to compare cost of electricity or any other basic amenities with countries that are very stable in both monetary and fiscal policies.

we should forget 24/7 electricity , only about 3% of Nigerians can afford it .

let me give u example, there was a time we change a new NEPA head at my area, that week the new head wanted to impress us , they started cutting lights , urging everyone to pay up ( we are owing in my area oo , some 100k , some 70k outstanding)

then day they brought our light in the morning till 7pm , then again from 10pm till 4 pm next day , the next thing we heard was gbosa aa, na so our our transformer and our power source catch fire, we didn't get light at all for another 3 months. what we heard was the load on our transformer can't guarantee steady light for more than 2 hours a day.
Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy by codedguy1(m): 4:27pm On Dec 05, 2019
majamajic:

let me give u example, there was a time we change a new NEPA head at my area, that week the new head wanted to impress us , they started cutting lights , urging everyone to pay up ( we are owing in my area oo , some 100k , some 70k outstanding)

then day they brought our light in the morning till 7pm , then again from 10pm till 4 pm next day , the next thing we heard was gbosa aa, na so our our transformer and our power source catch fire, we didn't get light at all for another 3 months. what we heard was the load on our transformer can't guarantee steady light for more than 2 hours a day.

I don't really and rstand the context of this narrative with what we are discussing.

I believe you are saying even if we get 24/7 monthly that Nigerians would not be able to afford it.

But I am saying 24/7 monthly electricity should be affordable for everyone.

If minimum wage is 30k which we know someone earning that can't be in a mansion, his monthly bill with 24/7 electricity should be about 3k in his face me I slap you quarters.
Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy by majamajic(m): 6:54pm On Dec 05, 2019
codedguy1:

I don't really and rstand the context of this narrative with what we are discussing.

I believe you are saying even if we get 24/7 monthly that Nigerians would not be able to afford it.

But I am saying 24/7 monthly electricity should be affordable for everyone.

If minimum wage is 30k which we know someone earning that can't be in a mansion, his monthly bill with 24/7 electricity should be about 3k in his face me I slap you quarters.

that's what am saying , u can't even get 24/7 constant electricity for a month for 10k anywhere in the world , anyway let's hope for better Nigeria

have a good evening sir !
Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy by edoairways: 7:33pm On Dec 05, 2019
tshege:
If the government had been efficient would will be seeing this?
Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy by edoairways: 7:40pm On Dec 05, 2019
majamajic:

then day they brought our light in the morning till 7pm , then again from 10pm till 4 pm next day , [b]the next thing we heard was gbosa aa, na [/b]so our our transformer and our power source catch fire, we didn't get light at all for another 3 months. what we heard was the load on our transformer can't guarantee steady light for more than 2 hours a day.

grin
Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy by edoairways: 7:44pm On Dec 05, 2019
Willing sellers and buyers is the best option for now instead of deceiving the populace with inflated figures budgeted on power
Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy by tshege(m): 8:07am On Dec 06, 2019
The GENCOS invested money in power plants and sell this electricity to DISCOS THROUGH a Federal agency called Transmission Company of Nigeria. THis TCN is the body in charge of transferring electricity from power plants to Discos around the country. Because Nigeria operates a National Grid system, it means that the TCN is the body who determines where to send power to. E.g TCN can send power from Omotosho Power Plant in Ondo to a Disco in Enugu or Kogi due to stress on the existing infrastructure to the larger commercial centres.

It even makes more sense for a Disco to send power to a village with low energy needs than a city with huge needs. This is because sending power to commercial centers weaken and strains the system and the discos are not prepared to replace existing infrastructure.

The TCN/FG does not have money to replace the high tension wires and substations reactors scattered around the country.

The GENCOS must get paid by all means.
The FG is still regulating price of electricity. Discos charge us rates far less than what it buys from the Gencos and the FG must pay the difference.

Ikeja Electric charges NGN 26 per KWh while Egbin Power Station produces a KWh at NGN 79.75 or $0.22

SarkinYarki:

Money is being looted and you are calling it subsidy ..did you even understand the write up at all ? The govt is spending 1.3 trillion naira to pay GENCOS for wasted electricity the DISCOS have deliberately refused to accept ...does that even make sense to you ?
Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Increase Following New FG Policy by treshbanj: 8:32am On Dec 06, 2019
codedguy1:

60% of customers meter are on tamper, most customers by-passed there Prepaid meter so how do u want Discos to survive? Am a Meter Engineer with AEDC and am talking from experience

(1) (2) (Reply)

So Our Politicians Can Stay In This Country Without Traveling Round The World. / Covid-19: Where Is Dr Agnes Nwamma And Dr. Iguedo / Seun Kuti Shares Old Newspaper Of Gambari Backing Execution Of Saro-wiwa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.