Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,930 members, 7,835,107 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:34 AM

Accepting Award After Sowore's Rearrest Will Be Insensitive - Osinbajo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Accepting Award After Sowore's Rearrest Will Be Insensitive - Osinbajo (712 Views)

Toyin Abraham, Other Celebrities Criticised For Accepting Award From Lagos State / Presidency Justifies Sowore's Rearrest, Says He's Person Of Interest To DSS / DSS Tries To Rearrest Sowore In Court (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Accepting Award After Sowore's Rearrest Will Be Insensitive - Osinbajo by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:25am On Dec 10, 2019
Accepting Award After Sowore's Rearrest Will Be Insensitive - Osinbajo
Earlier on Monday, organisers of the award had announced that they were postponing presenting Osinbajo with the award as a result of the invasion of the Federal High Court in Abuja on Friday by operatives of the Department of State Services to rearrest pro-democracy campaigner and journalist, Omoyele Sowore, less than 24 hours after he was released on bail.
BY SAHARAREPORTERS, NEW YORK DEC 10, 2019

Vice President of Nigeria, Yemi Osinbajo, has said that he was not able to attend the 2019 Wole Soyinka Award for Investigative Reporting in Lagos on Monday for two reasons.

Earlier on Monday, organisers of the award had announced that they were postponing presenting Osinbajo with the award as a result of the invasion of the Federal High Court in Abuja on Friday by operatives of the Department of State Services to rearrest pro-democracy campaigner and journalist, Omoyele Sowore, less than 24 hours after he was released on bail.

But in a letter stating the reasons why he wasn't able to attend the ceremony, which was released by his media aide, Laolu Akande, Osinbajo said he was away on a national assignment at the United Arab Emirates and therefore couldn't be physically present to receive the award.

The Vice President also said that he thought it insensitive to attend the ceremony in view of Sowore's rearrest.

Osinbajo said, “I am extremely grateful for the recognition and award of the ‘Integrity Specialty of the Wole Soyinka Centre for Investigative Journalism’s Anti-corruption Defender Award of 2019’ to me.

“The award, I note, is for our justice reform efforts in Lagos State. I had accepted the award with pride on behalf of the excellent Justice Sector team we had.

“However, two reasons explain my absence. First is that I am currently in Abu Dhabi for an international meeting under the auspices of the government of the UAE where I am the keynote speaker.

“Second, in view of the developments on Friday in the Sowore case, I think it would be insensitive and inappropriate to attend the ceremony."

http://saharareporters.com/2019/12/10/accepting-award-after-sowores-rearrest-will-be-insensitive-osinbajo

1 Share

Re: Accepting Award After Sowore's Rearrest Will Be Insensitive - Osinbajo by statusquoante: 10:29am On Dec 10, 2019
Wise decision
Re: Accepting Award After Sowore's Rearrest Will Be Insensitive - Osinbajo by Nobody: 10:33am On Dec 10, 2019
Who the useless award help

1 Like

Re: Accepting Award After Sowore's Rearrest Will Be Insensitive - Osinbajo by popsy2(m): 11:05am On Dec 10, 2019
talk to your boss
Re: Accepting Award After Sowore's Rearrest Will Be Insensitive - Osinbajo by meccuno: 11:06am On Dec 10, 2019
grin
Re: Accepting Award After Sowore's Rearrest Will Be Insensitive - Osinbajo by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:16am On Dec 12, 2019
statusquoante:

Wise decision

Well said. smiley
Re: Accepting Award After Sowore's Rearrest Will Be Insensitive - Osinbajo by diegwu02: 8:27am On Dec 12, 2019
As Usual, Sahara Reporters has posted their twisted version and narrative to raise a non existing influence of their Founder

1 Like

Re: Accepting Award After Sowore's Rearrest Will Be Insensitive - Osinbajo by anath(m): 8:31am On Dec 12, 2019
Nice, then what are u doing to that?
Re: Accepting Award After Sowore's Rearrest Will Be Insensitive - Osinbajo by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:05pm On Dec 13, 2019
popsy2:

talk to your boss

Who is the boss? undecided

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Tribal War - Finger Pointing Game / Four Top Police Officers Join Race To Replace Magu As EFCC Chairman / ECOWAS New Currency: Buhari May Suggest Another Name

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.