Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,322 members, 7,829,795 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

Lower Radiator Hose Does Not Warm Up At Idle - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Lower Radiator Hose Does Not Warm Up At Idle (1156 Views)

Radiator Hose Issue. Your Inputs Are Needed. / Someone Spotted Driving Around With Fuel Nozzle & Hose Still Attached To His Car / Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lower Radiator Hose Does Not Warm Up At Idle by xavuv: 4:06pm On Dec 11, 2019
xavuv:
good day to you.

This is happenning to my camry 2005. During dle or slow movement(neighborhood), It takes long time for the fan to start and when they do they run for like 15 secs and stop and then start again at a longer time.

When i s/off the engine, i can feel the water boiling when i touch the upper hose with my hand. The lower hose stays hot but not as hot as the upper and not boiling.

This usually happen when i make trips with my neighbourhood. You know,slow movement due to potholes bumps,traffic etc

But all these dont happen when i use the ac either in neighbourhood or express.

Yet In all of these circumstances temp gauge needle remains at the middle.

Here is Another symptom as to what is happening coupled with the one i wrote up � there

In the morning, at idle, when the temp needle reaches middle, i noticed the lower hose is cold while the upper hose is hot,in fact coolant will flow into the reservoir. But the radiator (upper part) is cold when touched.

But radiator gets hot and lower hose gets warm once i rev the engine or drive out.

Radiator is not blocked(relatively new), air in the system is not likely, im guessing thermostat or water pump, or even serpentine belt or maybe some sensors.

Car drives fine,no overheating, ac chills great too
Please help me diagnose.

CC: Sultan,honmussa,gazzuz,urose93,ikenna351,radauto,timifakay,ricki and all other gurus
Re: Lower Radiator Hose Does Not Warm Up At Idle by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:39pm On Dec 11, 2019
The car isn't overheating right. I guess your thermostat is still present and your fan isn't connected directly. Do not do anything to that car. Continue enjoying it like that.

4 Likes

Re: Lower Radiator Hose Does Not Warm Up At Idle by 9icetoo(m): 5:26pm On Dec 11, 2019
As long as your temp doesn't get to the red zone, leave that car the way it is. It is doing what it was designed to do.
The fans in my cars stay off as long as yours. Even longer on the Kia. So long my mechanic had to connect the fan directly to my battery once to make sure it was still working. grin

1 Like

Re: Lower Radiator Hose Does Not Warm Up At Idle by xavuv: 5:31pm On Dec 11, 2019
9icetoo:
As long as your temp doesn't get to the red zone, leave that car the way it is. It is doing what it was designed to do.
The fans in my cars stay off as long as yours. Even longer on the Kia. So long my mechanic had to connect the fan directly to my battery once to make sure it was still working. grin
Ok what about the revving part. Coolant dont flow in the radiator untill i rev the engine. I mean lower hose stays cool, upper hose will be hot. upper part of radiator stays cool. even when the engine is at its working temp.
Re: Lower Radiator Hose Does Not Warm Up At Idle by diportivo: 8:01pm On Dec 11, 2019
xavuv:

Ok what about the revving part. Coolant dont flow in the radiator untill i rev the engine. I mean lower hose stays cool, upper hose will be hot. upper part of radiator stays cool. even when the engine is at its working temp.

why are u disturbing hoses up and down fogozsakes??

once ur thermostat opens,water will flow

ac on will automatically do that.....

this one u r touching hoses up and down so,e be like u need water to make eba undecided

stay in the car,keep ur eyes on the temp gauge sir

2 Likes

Re: Lower Radiator Hose Does Not Warm Up At Idle by xavuv: 8:44pm On Dec 11, 2019
Ah, ok boss

diportivo:

why are u disturbing hoses up and down fogozsakes??

once ur thermostat opens,water will flow

ac on will automatically do that.....

this one u r touching hoses up and down so,e be like u need water to make eba undecided

stay in the car,keep ur eyes on the temp gauge sir
Re: Lower Radiator Hose Does Not Warm Up At Idle by timifakay(m): 5:46am On Dec 12, 2019
How do you think its supposed to operate. I see no problem here
Re: Lower Radiator Hose Does Not Warm Up At Idle by 9icetoo(m): 7:04am On Dec 12, 2019
timifakay:
He is probably used to cars without thermostat. Or maybe a Kazeem is trying to convince him to remove his thermostat. OP, which one of the above is true?

2 Likes

Re: Lower Radiator Hose Does Not Warm Up At Idle by id4sho(m): 7:30am On Dec 12, 2019
cry , you should be happy DAT ur thermostat is intact.
Re: Lower Radiator Hose Does Not Warm Up At Idle by xavuv: 12:49pm On Dec 12, 2019
timifakay:
These are my concerns

At idle in the morning, when the temp needle reaches middle without revving or anything. The upper hose get hot but lower hose will be cold as ice. So i think lower hose should be warm atleast

But once i rev the engine then the lower hose starts to get warm too.

And

Sometimes after driving and i s/off the engine, i touch upper hose and i will feel the water boiling, is this normal
Re: Lower Radiator Hose Does Not Warm Up At Idle by xavuv: 12:52pm On Dec 12, 2019
9icetoo:

He is probably used to cars without thermostat. Or maybe a Kazeem is trying to convince him to remove his thermostat. OP, which one of the above is true?

Non is true. I m just very observant and an ethusiast.
Re: Lower Radiator Hose Does Not Warm Up At Idle by xavuv: 12:53pm On Dec 12, 2019
So maybe coolant isnot flowing at required speed as it should. Idont know
Re: Lower Radiator Hose Does Not Warm Up At Idle by id4sho(m): 1:42pm On Dec 12, 2019
xavuv:

These are my concerns

At idle in the morning, when the temp needle reaches middle without revving or anything. The upper hose get hot but lower hose will be cold as ice. So i think lower hose should be warm atleast

And

Sometimes after driving and i s/off the engine, i touch upper hose and i will feel the water boiling, is this normal

VERY NORMAL
Re: Lower Radiator Hose Does Not Warm Up At Idle by xavuv: 2:02pm On Dec 12, 2019
id4sho:

VERY NORMAL
ok
Re: Lower Radiator Hose Does Not Warm Up At Idle by timifakay(m): 5:47pm On Dec 12, 2019
xavuv:

These are my concerns

And

All is in order
Re: Lower Radiator Hose Does Not Warm Up At Idle by xavuv: 5:55pm On Dec 12, 2019
timifakay:

All is in order
Ok thanks sir

1 Like

Re: Lower Radiator Hose Does Not Warm Up At Idle by Originalsly: 10:42pm On Dec 12, 2019
xavuv:

So i think lower hose should be warm atleast

Just curious.... are you a Kazeem? ... this is how they think.... they love to rearrange stuff based on how they think it should be instead of trying to learn hot stuff works.
Not at all a mechanic.... but from my understanding... the thermostat would not allow coolant to circulate until the engine reaches it's so
operational temperature. So until then... don't expect coolant to be flowing from the radiator... the bottom hose to become hot nor the fan to come on. Just remain in the car... rev the engine or whatever observe the temperature gauge..... just stay away from the engine and your car would he fine.

(1) (Reply)

Make Your Move With The New Mercedes-benz V-class (photos) / 2004 Mazda Tribute Stops In Motion / Hybrid Camry Doesn't Go Beyond 20km/hour !!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.