Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,132 members, 7,953,494 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 05:22 PM

Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning (62043 Views)

Picture Of New Naira Note :A Nairalander Withdraw This Morning At The Atm / Lady Shares Her Experience At The ATM Which Had More Than 20 Guys / How to pay for things online using ATM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by Iyajelili(f): 7:35pm On Dec 12, 2019
Teebilion:
Is it me or it’s that this LEARNED instead of LEARNT sounds appalling ?

Learned is American and you are right, it is appalling since we use British English

1 Like

Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by Johnsghana(m): 7:39pm On Dec 12, 2019
Teebilion:

Maybe undecided

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/learned-learnt/
Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by Nobody: 7:39pm On Dec 12, 2019
willy2000:

Don't try to sound smart or intelligent, both mean the same, the later is only used in british English

https://www.lexico.com/grammar/learnt-vs-learned

And look at the weight of his word "appalling " to correct someone who probably used the American variant of the word.

1 Like

Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by Nobody: 7:40pm On Dec 12, 2019
Adeling:
What's with you guys and long testimonies?
Anyways,
Get this beautiful gown for your pretty princess (7-10 yrs) height:100cm)
Free delivery within Lagos
Hit for yours

How much?
Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by BlackCastle(m): 7:40pm On Dec 12, 2019
Teebilion:

Whether you’re saying you learned something or learnt something, you’re talking about the same thing—the process of finding out, acquiring, or retaining knowledge or information.

The only difference is that the way you spell it says something about where you’re from. Learnt and learned are both used as the past participle and past tense of the verb to learn.

Learned is the generally accepted way of spelling it in the United States and Canada, while the rest of the English-speaking world seems to prefer learnt.

2 Likes

Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by Ginaz(f): 7:42pm On Dec 12, 2019
You will know what it means to be totally clueless and hopeless the day ATM swallows your card.

I remembered when I took my last money in school to take a bike to the ATM only for it to swallow my card .

Don’t ask me how I got home. It bring painful memories. Chaiii

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by joshuaudom(m): 7:43pm On Dec 12, 2019
Cool
Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by ksbusari(m): 7:47pm On Dec 12, 2019
Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by midnighter(f): 7:49pm On Dec 12, 2019
muyoge:

And look at the weight of his word "appalling " to correct someone who probably used the American variant of the word.

It is technically not wrong to use Americanisms but looks and sounds vulgar.

Just like they spell "sulphur" as "sulfur" and "colour" as "color". It's truly appalling unless you are an American

1 Like

Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by Nobody: 7:49pm On Dec 12, 2019
Teebilion:

Your coinage has a structure like "Is it me or it's right? "
There are 2 clauses, the first is interrogative and the other is affirmative. The collocation is unacceptable with the conjunction "or" that you used . Your clauses do not have parallel structures.
Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by Teebilion: 7:49pm On Dec 12, 2019
willy2000:

Don't try to sound smart or intelligent, both mean the same, the later is only used in british English

https://www.lexico.com/grammar/learnt-vs-learned
but we speak British English sir , so it still sounds appalling whatsoever
Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by Liftedhands(f): 7:50pm On Dec 12, 2019
Oluwadamilare118:

Smile...

Just give it a trial one day....should you succeed....I know you wouldn't like it when there is no error. Caused you will just feel like,let there be an error that you may strike.

Smile
Lolzz ok I will.
Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by Teebilion: 7:51pm On Dec 12, 2019
muyoge:

Your coinage has a structure like "Is it me or it's right? "
There are 2 clauses, the first is interrogative and the other is affirmative. The collocation is unacceptable with the conjunction "or" that you used . Your clauses do not have parallel structures.
English teacher
Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by Cioupre(f): 7:54pm On Dec 12, 2019
Teebilion:
Learned is still correct..
Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by einsteine(m): 7:55pm On Dec 12, 2019
Teebilion:
but we speak British English sir , so it still sounds appalling whatsoever

Who told you we use British English?

Is it not Nigeria that people call lifts, elevators and say things like three bedroom apartments?

There is no clear delineation as to which English variant we use. Just ensure you are consistent. In IELTS, that's the rule, once you use British spelling for a particular word, any subsequent spelling of that word must be the same. You can therefore use both British and American English

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by TOPCRUISE(m): 7:57pm On Dec 12, 2019
The OP is absolutely wrong. There are some atm that will swallow your ATM immediately you slot it in. That is it's honest way to tell you insufficient funds.
Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by Nobody: 7:57pm On Dec 12, 2019
I have been lucky on several occasions when people claim the machine isn't dispensing and I just decide to try grin

Na so everybody for queue go dey look me as machine begin dispense wink

2 Likes

Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by midnighter(f): 7:59pm On Dec 12, 2019
einsteine:

Who told you we use British English?

Is it not Nigeria that people call lifts, elevators and say things like three bedroom apartments?

There is no clear delineation as to which English variant we use. Just ensure you are consistent. In IELTS, that's the rule, once you use British spelling for a particular word, any subsequent spelling of that word must be the same. You can therefore use both British and American English

We use Nigerian Standard English which is based on British English but due to media influence, American English has crept in and had an influence.

I would not use the words elevator or apartment except for simplicity, it's razz

So many American spellings are vulgar. British English is better

2 Likes

Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by Adeling(m): 8:00pm On Dec 12, 2019
Iyajelili:

No price? Weldone sir!
Lol. Its 10k ma
Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by ireneidiva(f): 8:01pm On Dec 12, 2019
sammirano:

Na them sabi, when you get to France they don't consider you.
Okay. We are on yorubaland I guess.

1 Like

Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by sureteeboy(m): 8:02pm On Dec 12, 2019
micronut:

https://naijalocals.com.ng/using-at-atm-3-lessons-i-learned-at-the-atm-spot-this-morning/
The funny thing is, that Okada man might have stolen that ATM Card, now trying his luck with different combinations for the pin

1 Like

Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by MusaDanladi1: 8:04pm On Dec 12, 2019
micronut nice narration; a bit of comedy in-between, I am glad the wereypey atm didn't swallow your card.

2 Likes

Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by ospreywin(m): 8:04pm On Dec 12, 2019
Nice write up.... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by chewwie(m): 8:05pm On Dec 12, 2019
No pos in your area?
Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by MSesan: 8:05pm On Dec 12, 2019
You will see some people queueing for one ATM while other machines are vacant. But they don't mind as long as people are still joining the queue. Whether other ATM are working or not.

1 Like

Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by Moradeyo95: 8:08pm On Dec 12, 2019
Ijawwomaninoyo:
Zambia unveils new Policemen uniforms.
U like am?
....e look lyk aso oke..hehehe

1 Like

Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by MusaDanladi1: 8:09pm On Dec 12, 2019
Iyajelili:

No price? Weldone sir!
You dey mind this kind yeye people. They are never serious. They will tell you watsapp me for more info. I wonder if they will convulse is they add the price to their post. Useless lot.
Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by Mijolnir(m): 8:21pm On Dec 12, 2019
Thank God say u go check...na so all these old people dey do even for campus sef... the thing tire me... angry
Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by deltateam: 8:32pm On Dec 12, 2019
[sup][/sup]nn
Adeling:
What's with you guys and long testimonies?
Anyways,
Get this beautiful gown for your pretty princess (7-10 yrs) height:100cm)
Free delivery within Lagos
Hit for yours

This is not a common outfit in Naija. More like waltz dance costume or ball room.
Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by Nobody: 8:43pm On Dec 12, 2019
Liftedhands:
Lolzz ok I will.

Smile...

Seen.
Re: Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning by tete7000(m): 8:44pm On Dec 12, 2019
The guy that claimed someone told him to help withdraw might have stolen the card.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Emeka Offor, Abike Dabiri’s Firms, Others Owe Banks N143.81bn / What Business Gave You Your First Million In 2019 / Latest Update from Dangote Refinery, Ibeju-Lekki, Lagos (Photos and Videos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.