Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,719 members, 7,820,505 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:06 PM

Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure (47518 Views)

Border Closure: Rice Smugglers Divert To Pineapples / Border Closure: Hameed Ali Reveals How Customs Made N9.2bn In Just One Day / Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by Johans1991: 8:04pm On Dec 13, 2019
Balogunodua:
Daura statistic
children of hate don't like good news
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by Area4Area: 8:04pm On Dec 13, 2019
k2money:

Ọga so na only land border they fit export their goods? What of seaport, it can also be done by air
Imagine o, 99.39% of all our exports is by sea but Ghana is insisting on land so that they can smuggle things into Nigeria, why can't they use the seaport?

1 Like

Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by FemiMaduka(m): 8:05pm On Dec 13, 2019
GENEGIRIA:
What do you mean by Ghana depends on Nigeria than nigeria depends on Ghana? Import and export is a free exchange of goods and services. Now let me ask you, if Ghana does not import from Nigeria, can it import from elsewhere? The answer is a resounding yes. Ghana does not need to import anything from Nigeria because it can import those same items from any part of the world. It is as simple as that.

What this tells me is that Ghana's far more important to Nigeria than most Nigerians would want to accept. Trade is what keeps the world economy running. In today’s world. The country importing, has more leverage than the exporting country. Which means Ghana has advantage over Nigeria in their trade relationship. It is as simple as that.

I respect your willingness to contribute. However, you wilfully forgot that countries make their import calculus based on where they can get a comparative advantage. Ghana imports heavily from Nigeria [$2.4bn as per the data] because it is cheaper, obviously, for her to do so—no country is a Father Christmas. If she imported same articles from, let's say, South Africa, she would obviously be paying more for less because the distance alone is enough to make it more expensive compared to the ones that come from 'next-door' Nigeria.

And you should also know that if Ghana decided to not buy from Nigeria, there are ready buyers willing to buy these articles. Some years ago the US drastically cut the quantity of crude oil it buys from Nigeria, and almost immediately India stepped up and took the place of the US. It is now that the US is gradually upping the quantity of the same Nigerian oil it drastically cut. It is a very simple thing.

Finally, if you want to be sincere to yourself, there is NO WAY a Nigeria of 198m people and $400bn GDP would need a Ghana of 30m people and $50bn+ more than Ghana needs it. It is a statistical impossibility.

It's no denigration, it is fact.

P.S.: as per the $2.4bn, it means Nigeria has become Ghana's largest import-trade partner, just after China with $3.5bn+.

6 Likes

Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by GENEGIRIA: 8:05pm On Dec 13, 2019
Me? Click some useless link? Na today dem born me? grin grin I have nothing to be ashamed about. Actually I am proud to know that upon all the mouth you nigerians make, Ghana is a big market for Nigeria and Nigerians. We are putting food on nigerian tables. That makes me very happy,oponu grin
Area4Area:
Have you gone through the link already or maybe you are ashamed to admit it.
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by Area4Area: 8:05pm On Dec 13, 2019
GENEGIRIA:
You better shut that your stvpid mouth,huh? grin if Ghana vex and ban imports from nigeria, how will you guys feed your children? grin grin who gives fvck about border? grin how market grin you fit rice chop? grin poor thing grin

We want Ghana to vex and stop importing from Nigeria or do you want us to come and beg you or what?
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by Zooposki(f): 8:11pm On Dec 13, 2019
GENEGIRIA:
You better shut that your stvpid mouth,huh? grin if Ghana vex and ban imports from nigeria, how will you guys feed your children? grin grin who gives fvck about border? grin how market grin you fit rice chop? grin poor thing grin

I double dare you, no, triple dare to stop all imports. grin grin Las las you will grow sense. Border still remains closed.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by Area4Area: 8:11pm On Dec 13, 2019
GENEGIRIA:

Me? Click some useless link? Na today dem born me? grin grin I have nothing to be ashamed about. Actually I am proud to know that upon all the mouth you nigerians make, Ghana is a big market for Nigeria and Nigerians. We are putting food on nigerian tables. That makes me very happy,oponu grin
You obviously know the truth but won't admit it, your business.

Ghana big market for Nigeria?
Nigeria with a population of 201 million and a GDP purchasing power of $1.2 trillion compared paltry Ghana with 28 million and GDP purchasing power of just $200 billion, do the comparison.
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by gazza07(m): 8:14pm On Dec 13, 2019
This news doesn't add up. U closed borders and the country you closed borders against turns out to be your best buyer undecided like they are happy u closed the borders against them. APC and propaganda na twins
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by GENEGIRIA: 8:14pm On Dec 13, 2019
Your analysis is skewed to achieve a twisted and baseless outcomes. The fact that Nigeria has a population of 200 million and Ghana has a population of 30 million doesn’t necessarily give nigeria any economic advantage. Have you heard of purchasing power? It’s all about purchasing power, the ability to buy. When you have a population of 100 million very poor people, it doesn’t translate to a big market. Now, Ghana with its 30 million population is Nigeria’s biggest export market. But nigeria is not Ghana’s biggest export market. So how dies this balance out?

It means while Nigeria depends on money it makes from selling goods in Ghana, Ghana dies not depend on goods it exports to Nigeria. So who has the advantage here?

FemiMaduka:

I respect your willingness to contribute. However, you wilfully forgot that countries make their import calculus based on where they can get a comparative advantage. Ghana imports heavily from Nigeria because it is cheaper [obviously] for her to do so—no country is a Father Christmas. If she imported same articles from, let's say, South Africa, she would obviously be paying more for less because the distance alone is enough to make it more expensive compared to the ones that come from 'next-door' Nigeria.

And you should also know that if Ghana decided to not buy from Nigeria, there are ready buyers willing to buy these articles. Some years ago the US drastically cut the quantity of crude oil it buys from Nigeria, and almost immediately India stepped up and took the place of the US, it is now that the US is gradually upping the quantity of the same Nigerian oil it drastic cut. It is a very simple thing.

Finally, if you want to be sincere to yourself, there is NO WAY a Nigeria of 198m people and $400bn GDP would need a Ghana of 30m people and $50bn+ more than Ghana needs it. It is a statistical impossibility.

It's no denigration, it is fact.
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by CSTR2: 8:14pm On Dec 13, 2019
If Ghana is our biggest trading partner, then buhari has made a nonsense of our economy.
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by Area4Area: 8:18pm On Dec 13, 2019
gazza07:
This news doesn't add up. U closed borders and the country you closed borders against turns out to be your best buyer undecided like they are happy u closed the borders against them. APC and propaganda na twins
99.39% of Nigeria's export to the world including Ghana is by the sea, why can't Ghana do so or their companies that poor that they can't afford it? Ghana still imports from Nigeria but won't want to export to Nigeria by sea, how does that concern us?
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by Reussite: 8:18pm On Dec 13, 2019
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr

As a real niggarrr

I see this article very funny

Hahahaha
Gradually the world is going to recognise us as the real niggarrrs of Africa
Lol your first 2 sentences cracked me up.
It kinda reminded me of the fair guy(can't remember his name) in the movie ' Mokalik' who was speaking like an Americana. grin
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by clench3(m): 8:19pm On Dec 13, 2019
Edoziesmart:
Is that the reason they close border? Failed government
IPOB member
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by shiki(m): 8:20pm On Dec 13, 2019
GENEGIRIA:
That is a big lie! The world is free market. Ghana can buy from anywhere. Nigerians need Ghana more than Ghana needs nigeria. Simplicita grin Ghana can buy the same items it buys from Nigeria from anywhere in the world.

don't also forget the cost of buying from anywhere and cost of buying from Nig ...bro
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by GENEGIRIA: 8:21pm On Dec 13, 2019
Oh please, stop this jankara economics. You are talking like one nigerian economist I used to know called Prof. Aluko, from Akure I think. He had all these absurd theories. Let me break things down for you. I don’t think you nigerians should pay too much attention to all the GDP crap your govt keeps churning out. Those figures needs to be seriously interrogated.

In any case, a population of 100 million poor people not make you a bigger market simply because of the numbers. A country of 200 million has a country of just 30 million as its biggest importer grin Hmmmmmmm cool

Area4Area:
You obviously know the truth but won't admit it, your business.

Ghana big market for Nigeria?
Nigeria with a population of 201 million and a GDP purchasing power of $1.2 trillion compared paltry Ghana with 28 million and GDP purchasing power of just $200 billion, do the comparison.
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by CSTR2: 8:21pm On Dec 13, 2019
GENEGIRIA:
Your analysis is skewed to achieve a twisted and baseless outcomes. The fact that Nigeria has a population of 200 million and Ghana has a population of 30 million doesn’t necessarily give nigeria any economic advantage. Have you heard of purchasing power? It’s all about purchasing power, the ability to buy. When you have a population of 100 million very poor people, it doesn’t translate to a big market. Now, Ghana with its 30 million population is Nigeria’s biggest export market. But nigeria is not Ghana’s biggest export market. So how dies this balance out?

It means while Nigeria depends on money it makes from selling goods in Ghana, Ghana dies not depend on goods it exports to Nigeria. So who has the advantage here?

I don't believe Ghana has a higher purchasing power than Nigeria.
These statistics are calculated based on GDP/capital which is simplistic.

Far more people in Nigeria can afford goods that the average Ghanaian cannot.

That is why their traders come here to buy goods already imported into Nigeria.

Anyway, Ghana advantage is basically a better sense of order leading to better security, less competition for resources and a significantly better govt than Nigeria.

That is where it ends. The economic flow is always from Nigeria to Ghana in every sector.

But the fact that we are debating this means buhari is a failure.
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by Area4Area: 8:24pm On Dec 13, 2019
GENEGIRIA:

Nigeria has the comparative advantage in producing those goods Ghana imports from us, you import import from Nigeria because you can't produce them, if you stop importing from Nigeria, we can as well look for where to send your 17% to while we source for an alternative for your 17% from us, simple.
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by GENEGIRIA: 8:24pm On Dec 13, 2019
Well, the world has become a global village, as they say. There is nothing under the sun you can’t buy from elsewhere grin grin as I said, let’s wait and see in another 6 months and see if these dynamics will change. I believe they will.

shiki:

don't also forget the cost of buying from anywhere and cost of buying from Nig ...bro
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by CSTR2: 8:27pm On Dec 13, 2019
If Ghana that has a mid size African GDP is our biggest trading partner, then it is a crying shame.

What has buhari been travelling for? Where are the economic benefits?

The idiot just gave visa on arrival to all Africa and for what?
What economic deal precipitated that.?
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by luluosas(m): 8:27pm On Dec 13, 2019
Isn't it better if we export refined petroleum products outside, instead of exporting crude oil, and in return import it back again for our local consumption?
Na waoh
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by Balogunodua(m): 8:28pm On Dec 13, 2019
Johans1991:
children of hate don't like good news
So Mr. Johans1991 how does the masses befit from this good news.
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by Area4Area: 8:28pm On Dec 13, 2019
GENEGIRIA:
Well, the world has become a global village, as they say. There is nothing under the sun you can’t buy from elsewhere grin grin as I said, let’s wait and see in another 6 months and see if these dynamics will change. I believe they will.

Why not wait till that 6 months before you start crying? Wait bro, wait.
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by GENEGIRIA: 8:29pm On Dec 13, 2019
Point of correction. Nigeria exported......to Ghana. Or did Ghanaians go to Nigeria to bring them? You see the market is very competitive. Other countries can quickly fill up that 17%

Area4Area:
Nigeria has the comparative advantage in producing those goods Ghana imports from us, you import import from Nigeria because you can't produce them, if you stop importing from Nigeria, we can as look for where to send your 17% to while you source for an alternative for your 17% from us, simple.
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by FemiMaduka(m): 8:32pm On Dec 13, 2019
GENEGIRIA:

No bro I am being straight-up open with you.

1) You talked about purchasing power; but it is on record [on record, I repeat] that Ghana's GDP per capita and Nigeria's GDP per capita are are in the same $2,200+ bracket. So what this means is that an average Ghanaian and an average Nigerian have roughly the same purchasing power index. Now, going by this, Nigeria has an overwhelming advantage because whilst Ghana presents a paltry 30m people with a GDP per capita of $2,200+, Nigeria brings to the table a whooping 198m people with a GDP per capita within the same bracket! If you were a business man, what market would you choose!

2) let me also correct an impression. Per capita basis does not do justice to the story. China, an economic super-powerhouse, has a GDP per capita that is less than a fifth of those of a handful of countries in Europe—like Lithuania, Switzerland, Luxembourg etc., does it mean that these countries are more economically viable than China?

2.b.) Listen, there are a couple of African countries with a GDP per capita bigger than that of China. Oh yes! Does that mean they come close to China in economic might? C'mon, don't be ridiculous! Volume matters and that is what Nigeria has going for it.

3) You pointed out, critically, that there is no balance in the trade, and as such it has to be untrue. Let me tell you this, it happens every time! The value of goods that Nigeria imports from the US is not the same as that which it exports to the US. This is basic economics. The advantage is with Nigeria; Nigeria sells more to Ghana than what it buys from Ghana. Nigeria has the balance of trade [with Ghana] surplus on its side—this is basic bro.

Let's bin all this sentimentalism and face facts alone.

4 Likes

Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by CaptainMeks: 8:32pm On Dec 13, 2019
GENEGIRIA:
nigeria our yeye distant neighbour. how market? now you nigerians will know how important Ghana is to the Nigerian economy grin grin grin

[s][/s]

You are not a smart cookie at all. These figures shows how dependent Ghana is to Nigeria and not the other way around. You rely so heavily on products from Nigeria and this report shows it.

Are we the ones who bought from you or you are the ones who bought from us? Show us by way of comparison what we bought from you despite our huge population.

You are just a measly 28m yet rely so heavily on us yet you do not realize that this in essence shows that industrially and economically you are in shambles.

3 Likes

Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by GENEGIRIA: 8:33pm On Dec 13, 2019
Crying? I guess nigerians think other people cry the way nigerians do,right? Yes, let’s wait fir another 6 months and see how it plays out. Who knows, the border closure could change everything. Ghanaians are not as clueless as some of you Nigerians think. I live in Accra and people are asking serious questions about economic relations with Nigeria. grin

Area4Area:
Why not wait till that 6 months before you start crying? Wait bro, wait.
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by Area4Area: 8:36pm On Dec 13, 2019
GENEGIRIA:
Point of correction. Nigeria exported......to Ghana. Or did Ghanaians go to Nigeria to bring them? You see the market is very competitive. Other countries can quickly fill up that 17%

So you mean Nigerian companies just sent goods to Ghana when nobody in Ghana requested for them? Stop talking trash about your 17%, you've been told to stop importing and you said we should all wait for the next 6 months, why are you still crying?

2 Likes

Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by Area4Area: 8:36pm On Dec 13, 2019
GENEGIRIA:
Crying? I guess nigerians think other people cry the way nigerians do,right? Yes, let’s wait fir another 6 months and see how it plays out. Who knows, the border closure could change everything. Ghanaians are not as clueless as some of you Nigerians think. I live in Accra and people are asking serious questions about economic relations with Nigeria. grin

Stop crying and wait for the next 6 months, simple

2 Likes

Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by GENEGIRIA: 8:41pm On Dec 13, 2019
Ma guy, stop this your foolish insinuations,huh? When it come to insulting, you are no match grin so stick to what makes sense to you. What stvpid logic is that?

When Ghanaians trucks were stopped from entering Nigeria recently , didn’t you nigerians jump upanddown shouting how dependent Ghanaians were on you nigerians? Now that it turns out that nigerians actually export most items to Ghana, why can’t Ghana also say yes nigerians depend on Ghana? After all the goods that are sold in Ghana, don’t they take the money back to nigeria, to feed ediots like you? Nigeria is making money in Ghana, to help your economy and feed nigerian mouths, and you are telling me nonsense?

CaptainMeks:

You are not a smart cookie at all. These figures shows how dependent Ghana is to Nigeria and not the other way around. You rely so heavily on products from Nigeria and this report shows it.

Are we the ones who bought from you or you are the ones who bought from us? Show us by way of comparison what we bought from you despite our huge population.

You are just a measly 28m yet rely so heavily on us yet you do not realize that this in essence shows that industrially and economically you are in shambles.

2 Likes

Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by Nobody: 8:44pm On Dec 13, 2019
GENEGIRIA:
Proximity and pricing doesn’t necessarily weigh in Nigeria’s favour. I dont think there’s anything nigeria sells in Ghana that Ghana cannot get from elsewhere at a more competitive price. Lack of power makes most nigerian companies very uncompetitive.

You're not being very realistic here, if proximity and pricing doesn't weigh in Nigerias favor,why is Ghana sticking with that option. If Nigerian companies aren't that competitive why stick with an unsavory and more expensive option.
A good number of exports to Ghana was made up of underwater drilling platforms, I see Ghana is trying to shore up crude production, good.
I wonder which other country with expertise in petroleum where Ghana could get a better deal than in Nigeria.
You're making it sound like economics and trade is some kind of child's play.
Perhaps you could buy those oil rigs from the US,put them on barges and ferry them thousands of kilometers to Ghana,that would definitely be cheaper.

2 Likes

Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by CaptainMeks: 8:44pm On Dec 13, 2019
GENEGIRIA:

You are an ignorant child. Very ignorant and proud of your ignorance too.

Ghanas PER CAPITA is $1,407 even with 28m population
Nigeria PER CAPITA is $2,014 even with 198m population

Ghanas GDP is $42.79 billion
Nigerias GDP is $404.65 billion

On the list of world poorest countries Ghana is 85 positions behind USA
On the list of world poorest countries Nigeria is 26 positions behind USA

Do you not see that your country Ghana is poor and in economic shambles despite its low population?

If you think this is a fabrication, please read and shut up with this your nonsensical Ghana is better than Nigeria nonsense.

And oh this data is 2019 plus it was compiled using data from The International Monetary Fund,The United Nations and The World Bank

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/poorest-countries-in-the-world/

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Court Stops Labour From Going On Strike Over Fuel Price Hike / Arthur Eze: ‘Obiano Is A Small Fry’ / Shehu, Yar’adua’s Son Weds Yacine, Mohammed Nur Sheriff's Daughter In Maiduguri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.