Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,934 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:56 AM

Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure (47521 Views)

Border Closure: Rice Smugglers Divert To Pineapples / Border Closure: Hameed Ali Reveals How Customs Made N9.2bn In Just One Day / Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by GENEGIRIA: 11:34pm On Dec 13, 2019
Trade is a two-way thing. Ghaba also exports to Nigeria now. Or Ghana doesn’t export to Nigeria? I don’t even know what nigeria exports to Ghana that Ghana “needs desperately?” Someone said something about equipment for oil drilling. I doubt if those things are even made in Nigeria.

Is that the one that Ghana needs”desperately?” What single item that Nigeria exports to Ghana that is needed so desperately, as you claimed? Which Ghanaian companies complained? And your point is? My point is that a Ghana is actually feeding nigerians and helping to make your economy better. What is your point?

Area4Area:
Why can't Ghana export to Nigeria what we can't produce. Ghana needs those imports desperately and that's why they can't do without them.
I have links to Ghanaian companies complaining of their losses since the closure and if I ask you to give a link where one Nigerian company complained, you'd leave the thread.
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by Area4Area: 11:36pm On Dec 13, 2019
xperienced:
Am somehow not good with the stats.

USA crude oil export figure is higher than the total figure of exports to USA.

The United States once again returned to Nigerian oil, as the country emerged Nigeria’s fifth biggest export destination. It country imported N322.2 billion (6.28%) goods from Nigeria, with crude oil constituting N329.8 billion.
70% of Nigeria's export is still oil and gas, he thinks that this is the final figures not knowing this is just non-oil exports that is being talked about.
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by GENEGIRIA: 11:38pm On Dec 13, 2019
It is not my fault that your retarded brain cannot grasp what I am saying. How is that my problem? How is my fault that the so-called $500 billion economy can’t even provide common six hours of electricity to its impoverished citizens? How is that my problem?

Zooposki:

OMG, you sound like a broken record. I’m laughing too hard reading your retardedd comments to even put up an argument . You are just one crazy Charlie. Irredeemable. No hope for you. Village people has settled your matter.
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by Area4Area: 11:40pm On Dec 13, 2019
beresponsible:

Why the yabbing? I don't require previous data to compare with this current buffoonery. If you have any knowledge of economics, you will know that open borders and free markets makes for increased trade volume ala Dubai whereas blocked borders and isolationist policies towards neighbouring trade partners have no positive economic upside
When your neighbours obey the law pertaining free trade, we all play the game but if they decide to cut corners, you do same.
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by GENEGIRIA: 11:47pm On Dec 13, 2019
What is this one saying. Our currency has been at 5 plus Cedis in the past two or three years. Currencies are not static, they go up and go down. If I were you, I will be more worried about your economy. The Ghanaian economy is doing far far better than your nigerian economy. It remains the fastest growing economies in Africa, and that is why nigerians are everywhere in a Ghana these days. They all want to taste better economy angry grin and escape poverty grin you need to come to Ghana and see for yourself grin your people are everywhere. And yet the nigerian economy is supposed to be a $500 billion grin producing 2.5 million barrels of oil daily grin oh dear oh dear grin

Area4Area:
....yet you don't want to be self reliant and producing enough for your people, no wonder your cedi tumbled from 0.92 cedis to 5.82 cedis to a US dollar, but wait, some days back I checked it, it was 5.67 cedis to a US dollar.
What the heck is going on with your economy and currency? Exchange rate this January was between 4.8-5 cedis to a US dollar and now 5.82. Worthless currency.
The naira has been around 360 to a dollar for years now.

Give us a link to your Q2 and Q3 economic growth for 2019 and not the forecasted growth predicted since 2018.
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by Zooposki(f): 11:48pm On Dec 13, 2019
GENEGIRIA:
It is not my fault that your retarded brain cannot grasp what I am saying. How is that my problem? How is my fault that the so-called $500 billion economy can’t even provide common six hours of electricity to its impoverished citizens? How is that my problem?

Please point out Ghana in the map below. Engulfed in total darkness and you guys can not even afford generator light. Odiegwu. Singing. This life, I can’t kill myself o. Please allow me to flex o.

2 Likes

Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by Area4Area: 11:53pm On Dec 13, 2019
GENEGIRIA:

Begging? Are you okay? Who is begging you nigerians? Ghanaians are not dragging your border with you. Or are they? Just that nigerians shops in Ghana have been closed. That’s all. Keep your border. It’s your border. If you like, close it till thy kingdom come grin who gives a fvck about your nigerians?

You, a nigerian, from the poverty capital of the world, wants to tell me, a Ghanaian, whose country has the fastest growing economy in Africa, how to run my economy? grin are you well? As you “protect” your market and your economy, how has that helped your economy? How has that helped to create jobs in that....country? grin oponu, show me you are competent economic managers before spewing garbage,huh?

At least Ghana is helping to ease poverty in your country and put food on the table of million. You are not happy about that? grin

Your economy has been slowing down since this year and that's why your cedis had been tumbling. How the closure helped, well our rice, poultry and fish farmers had been begging the president not to bow to pressure to reopen the borders and he has reassured them the closure is indefinite.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by Area4Area: 11:55pm On Dec 13, 2019
GENEGIRIA:

Can you imagine the crap you just posted? Is there any country on the surface of the earth that is self reliant? Nonsense! What do you mean self reliant? Is there any country that is self reliant?

Look, the bottom line is how well the citizens and the economy is doing. I am happy to report that the Ghanaian economy is doing great, the fastest growing in Africa. Ghana has become a major attraction for your country people. These days, Nigerians are everywhere in Ghana grin you think they will come if the economy is not doing better than that of Nigeria? grin

Give is links to your GDP growth rate for Q1, Q2 and Q3 2019 so we can see how fast
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by sacx: 11:59pm On Dec 13, 2019
FemiMaduka:
I see a lot of people do not understand this piece of information. The gist is that Ghana, in the last three months, has become the biggest IMPORTER of Nigerian products. The value of the goods it bought FROM Nigeria was quoted as roughly $2.4bn.

If this is true, it only shows that Ghana depends far much more on Nigeria than Nigeria depends on it. The interesting aspect of this news is that it is reported that more than 97% of the goods that Ghana bought from Nigeria were non-petroleum articles. This is also a positive for Nigeria.

The relationship between any two African countries should be that of mutual respect, two-way productivity and shared brotherhood.

Now, we need to invest heavily in power, metallurgy, electronics and functional education/research. It is about time we made our companies competitive enough to break the South African hegemony in choice sectors.

Great. Stats prior to the border closure showed a huge trade deficit between both countries. This goes to show that Ghana has been benefitting immensely from smuggling activities in the region. The border closure has just brought things to light.

3 Likes

Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by Area4Area: 12:02am On Dec 14, 2019
GENEGIRIA:

....what can you say about your collapsing cedis, from 4.8 in January to 5.8 cedis to a dollar, give me the % drop. We still export industrial goods to Ghana with our 6 hours of electricity while you with 24/7 supply only watch TV and listen to music all day.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by Area4Area: 12:09am On Dec 14, 2019
GENEGIRIA:

What is this one saying. Our currency has been at 5 plus Cedis in the past two or three years. Currencies are not static, they go up and go down. If I were you, I will be more worried about your economy. The Ghanaian economy is doing far far better than your nigerian economy. It remains the fastest growing economies in Africa, and that is why nigerians are everywhere in a Ghana these days. They all want to taste better economy angry grin and escape poverty grin you need to come to Ghana and see for yourself grin your people are everywhere. And yet the nigerian economy is supposed to be a $500 billion grin producing 2.5 million barrels of oil daily grin oh dear oh dear grin

Cedi to the US dollar was 0.92,
Naira was 120 to the US dollar.

Today, cedis is 5.8 and naira 360 to a US dollar.

Which currency depreciated more?

January 2018, it was 4.52 and January this year it was 4.8 and now 5.8 cedis to a dollar, worthless currency.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by Fortune109: 12:49am On Dec 14, 2019
ksat:

Your assertion is wrong. The consumer is never the dependent. Implying from your remark it means USA depends more on China than China does of the USA. Which is absolutely false from basic economics.

See it this way, had Ghana taken their 17% purchases elsewhere what would have become of the Nigerian government fiscal policy for next year. It cannot fund 17% of federal project. So understand basic economics and don't twist things.

You are right in the sense that consumers are not the dependants...but this is subject to the instance where the consumers have alternative mostly in terms of cost.

Nigeria remains the cheapest option for almost all the goods Ghana imports from Nigeria.

Because Nigeria is the most industrialized in West Africa, which means our Nigerian finished goods will be cheaper than anywhere in West Africa, that is if other countries even produce them at all.

The only option for Ghana is to look in the direction of China, but then, the Ghanaians may be used to the Nigerian standard especially when it comes to electric cables...we have one of the best cables in the world if not the best.

In all, it will always be cheaper driving goods down to Ghana from Nigeria than shipping from other parts of the world.

So invariably, Ghana technically depends on Nig ria here even though they are the consumers...

4 Likes

Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by slysteel: 4:29am On Dec 14, 2019
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by BreconHills(m): 6:45am On Dec 14, 2019
GENEGIRIA:
Tell that to your countrymen who think the sun shines from their anus. They are just too .......

When the border was closed and some trucks bringing goods from Ghana into Nigeria were trapped at the border, you Nigerians were shouting on nairaland that simply because Ghanaians were trying to export items to Nigeria, it meant Nigerians were the ones feeding Ghanaians. Now that it has emerged that Nigeria actually export a lot to Ghana, is it not logical for Ghanaians to also say they are the ones feeding Nigerians? Or Nigerians indeed are hypocrites?

Nigeria and Ghana have had a love - hate relationship way before you were born and it will continue for many years ' especially now that no one remembers how it started. Ghana became independent before Nigeria and Nkrumah's pan African leadership was very unsettling to a Nigeria still led by the British. The British didnt like Nkrumah and they pushed out the poison pills. On the other hand Nigeria has this huge economy of size that makes Ghana imagine what they could do with it if they had it. Each country tracks the others achievements - upgrading theirs and downplaying the other. But it all began long long ago. And it was entirely over nothing substantial.

So these are historical prejudices that are passed on from one generation together. Most people dont even know how it all started. What is not known by many are the deep ties that bind us; the military cooperation ( Nigerians and Ghanians fought and died together in two world wars, congo and the ecomog operations in Sierra Leone and Liberia) their are also many historical interfaces and of course marriages, children and inlaw. Our ties are stronger than our envy or suspicion. We are far better together and our leaders know this - this is why at the highest levels they dont trash talk each other.

We must not let ignorant people on both sides of the geographical divide have their way. None of these countries is superior to the other- they are different in culture and style. But only the narrow minded find difference threatening. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who find hate and fear simple and convenient. That's the way the old reactive lizard brain works.

Let's live above the reactive. It begins with you not them.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by murmee: 7:29am On Dec 14, 2019
beresponsible:
Nonsense statistics.
When land borders were open we were not their largest trading partner. Now after una close land borders they become this. Where are they passing? By air?
By Sea. Is that so difficult to figure out!
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by SenecaTheYonger: 8:15am On Dec 14, 2019
beresponsible:

Na your brain need reset. Official land borders are closed and not illegal borders. Seme and idiroko land borders are the most cost effective route for Ghanaian products out of Nigeria so where will Ghanaians pass apart from going through these land borders?

Sea and air aren't closed. Have you heard of sea port before?

Let's take a break, when we come back, I'll explain to you.
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by ruffDiamond: 11:37am On Dec 14, 2019
beresponsible:
Nonsense statistics.
When land borders were open we were not their largest trading partner. Now after una close land borders they become this. Where are they passing? By air?
damn,bruh I agree with u jor they think we're stupid like them ..maybe they use Marine waterways . nonsense

1 Like

Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by obama30: 1:49pm On Dec 14, 2019
GENEGIRIA:
nigeria our yeye distant neighbour. how market? now you nigerians will know how important Ghana is to the Nigerian economy grin grin grin

[s][/s]

WE DON'T NEED Ghana, let them go
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by Newmans: 3:04pm On Dec 14, 2019
Warning to FG Ghana doesn't have what it take to be big partner to Nigeria, the Nigeria federal government should back to history Nigeria has cancelled a lot of Dept for Ghana, Ghana is surviving on Nigeria economy, Nigeria government must canceled any credit transaction with Ghana to avoid what had happened before from repeatint it self again.
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by qazeemj(m): 3:19pm On Dec 14, 2019
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by GENEGIRIA: 3:57pm On Dec 14, 2019
What is this maggot spewing out? How much debt is Ghana owing Nigeria? How much exactly? Can you give me precise figures? Why do nigerians like talking like fools? Ghana is surviving on nigerian economy. Can you give specific reasons and examples. Nigeria is not even fit to polish Ghana’s shoes, so just shut your smelly mouth.

This purely nigerian businesses trading with Ghana. What has this got to do with federal government? Nonsense!

Newmans:
Warning to FG Ghana doesn't have what it take to be big partner to Nigeria, the Nigeria federal government should back to history Nigeria has cancelled a lot of Dept for Ghana, Ghana is surviving on Nigeria economy, Nigeria government must canceled any credit transaction with Ghana to avoid what had happened before from repeatint it self again.
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by GENEGIRIA: 4:16pm On Dec 14, 2019
Nigerians, at least some Nigerians, are just crap.

Few months/weeks ago, nairaland was literally set alight simply because some trucks bringing Ghanaians goods into Nigeria had been stopped at the nigerian border because of the border closure. Suddenly, you Nigerians started attacking Ghanaians. They said simply because Ghanaians wanted to export merchandise into Nigeria meant Nigerians were the ones feeding Ghanaians.

One fool repeatedly called neighboring countries, particularly Ghana, as leeches. Yes, leeches. What was their crime? Their crime was simply that they were exporting items into Nigeria. For those miscreants, the importing country is the one feeding the exporting country. which meant their economies depended on Nigerians and that Nigeria was the one feeding those countries.

Today, wind don blow. Fowl nyash don open. Now that it has emerged that nigeria actually exports a lot to Ghana, the music has changed. Now nigerians are now saying Ghana depends on Nigerians because they import from Nigeria. What kind of stvpid hipocrisy and logic is this?

Now, as it turned out, Ghanaians are actually the ones feeding nigerians. That is a reality you nigerians have to live with.

Fortune109:

You are right in the sense that consumers are not the dependants...but this is subject to the instance where the consumers have alternative mostly in terms of cost.

Nigeria remains the cheapest option for almost all the goods Ghana imports from Nigeria.

Because Nigeria is the most industrialized in West Africa, which means our Nigerian finished goods will be cheaper than anywhere in West Africa, that is if other countries even produce them at all.

The only option for Ghana is to look in the direction of China, but then, the Ghanaians may be used to the Nigerian standard especially when it comes to electric cables...we have one of the best cables in the world if not the best.

In all, it will always be cheaper driving goods down to Ghana from Nigeria than shipping from other parts of the world.

So invariably, Ghana technically depends on Nig ria here even though they are the consumers...
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by GENEGIRIA: 4:23pm On Dec 14, 2019
You need Ghana more than you think. You are exporting your goods to Ghana and making money to feed your population now? So what the fvck is we don’t need Ghana? You don’t need Ghana but you export goods to their country? What kind of nonsense is that?

obama30:

WE DON'T NEED Ghana, let them go
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by MrPaul2: 4:30pm On Dec 14, 2019
beresponsible:
Nonsense statistics.

When the border is open, they don't pay the required duty completely because there was no serious check on their activities. To me, they were stealing from us
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by GENEGIRIA: 4:53pm On Dec 14, 2019
Let me tell you a few things about the current Ghanaian reality. I am disappointed you are using currency as the only yardstick for measuring the health of an economy.

Currently, inflation in Ghana is around 7%, the economy is growing rapaciously at 8.8%. The current government has made education free for both primary and secondary school students. students are also fed free and provided free uniforms by the government. Ghanaians enjoy electricity 24/7. Infrastructure is being improved upon. Unemployment is at 23% and falling all the time, life expectancy is 65 years. Ghana’s health and education budget for 2019 are bigger than that of Nigeria, even with its 200 million population. Ghana currently attracts more FDI than nigeria.

Let me tell you a few things about Nigeria. Currently, as we speak, some 16 million nigerian children don’t attend school. These are the future robbers, boko haram, pr0stitutes, kidnappers etc etc cool electricity is still a massive problem in your country despite Nigeria producing 2.5 million barrels of crude daily and billions scf of gas daily. Poverty is another big wahala in Nigeria. grin

What is life expectancy in Nigeria? grin inflation level? Corruption level? Unemployment nko? What about access to health care and personal security?

The United Nations Development Programme has what it calls Human Development Index. If you want to know how the two countries compare against each other, go and find out grin the difference is 7UP grin

Area4Area:
Cedi to the US dollar was 0.92,
Naira was 120 to the US dollar.

Today, cedis is 5.8 and naira 360 to a US dollar.

Which currency depreciated more?

January 2018, it was 4.52 and January this year it was 4.8 and now 5.8 cedis to a dollar, worthless currency.
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by crash12345: 5:03pm On Dec 14, 2019
GENEGIRIA:
Nigerians, at least some Nigerians, are just crap.

Few months/weeks ago, nairaland was literally set alight simply because some trucks bringing Ghanaians goods into Nigeria had been stopped at the nigerian border because of the border closure. Suddenly, you Nigerians started attacking Ghanaians. They said simply because Ghanaians wanted to export merchandise into Nigeria meant Nigerians were the ones feeding Ghanaians.

One fool repeatedly called neighboring countries, particularly Ghana, as leeches. Yes, leeches. What was their crime? Their crime was simply that they were exporting items into Nigeria. For those miscreants, the importing country is the one feeding the exporting country. which meant their economies depended on Nigerians and that Nigeria was the one feeding those countries.

Today, wind don blow. Fowl nyash don open. Now that it has emerged that nigeria actually exports a lot to Ghana, the music has changed. Now nigerians are now saying Ghana depends on Nigerians because they import from Nigeria. What kind of stvpid hipocrisy and logic is this?

Now, as it turned out, Ghanaians are actually the ones feeding nigerians. That is a reality you nigerians have to live with.

seriously speaking bro,I didn't know Ghana was that rich and that Ghana controlled Nigeria's export to the extent that Ghana is their largest and richest customer. I mean,look at the top ten largest export destination for Nigeria which includes rich countries such as India,USA,China and the rest and to think that Ghana tops that list tells you the influence and purchasing power of Ghana with a population of 29 million people with a purchasing power of more than 200 billion dollars.Which country on that list is a poor country or depend on the zoo country Nigeria, none. I mean,in just 3 months,we bought goods worth 3 billion dollars from Nigeria who's not even among our top ten largest importers.We trade more with Cote D'Ivoire than even Nigeria in West Africa buh to them,we are their largest buyers and exporting country in the world.

Imagine the jobs and families we feed in Nigeria with all these billions of dollars we feed them.Without us they're dead.We are more important to them than even America and China.If we block their imports from Ghana,millions of Nigerians will be extremely poor people adding up to their already 100 million extremely poor poverty capital of the world people.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by obama30: 7:49am On Dec 16, 2019
GENEGIRIA:
You need Ghana more than you think. You are exporting your goods to Ghana and making money to feed your population now? So what the fvck is we don’t need Ghana? You don’t need Ghana but you export goods to their country? What kind of nonsense is that?

We don’t need Ghana, what good is Nigeria exporting to Ghana? Instead Nigeria is given Ghana clued oil on credit because Ghana cannot afford to pay cash as other countries that bought from Nigeria do pay cash. Do call selling on credit business or we are helping you. Check any time Nigeria didn’t supply you oil, everything will start having problem from your electricity to gas increment in your country. What of in cash assistant to Ghana that one business too? Nigeria sponsor 85% ECOWAS financially and 60% Financially to Africa OAU what is Ghana contributions in both common to meet requirement to join countries that will use ECO Ghana fail to meet the requirement but common Togo meetup.

Ghana is the cheapest country in West Africa even Niger republic have purchasing power more than Ghana. What about infrastructure Ghana is building Accra since 1957 but Nigeria has finish building Lagos and Abuja within 40 years from 1960 t0 1992. Ghana think Nigerians are fools to patronize made in Ghana goods in Nigeria while Ghanaian’s never patronize made in Nigerian goods in Ghana unless it sells at very cheap late than Ghana product. What about all Ghana local drinks that enter Nigeria as if Nigeria don’t have drinks we do all that because we believe in loving our neighbor but wickedness in entire Ghana people harts never allow you people to do the same.

We allow you people to live freely in Nigeria and do all kind of menial jobs but you never allow Nigeria to do the same and you think we Nigerians can continue watching, soon we will give you people back the seed you plant. If I have opportunity as a leader I will have cut off anything that related my nation with Ghana and let see who it effect more than. And I will demand for payment of all the money Ghana owns me and if they fail, I will strike the 24million Ghana population with 30million soldier and let see who lose.
Bleep you Ghana

1 Like

Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by obama30: 7:57am On Dec 16, 2019
crash12345:
seriously speaking bro,I didn't know Ghana was that rich and that Ghana controlled Nigeria's export to the extent that Ghana is their largest and richest customer. I mean,look at the top ten largest export destination for Nigeria which includes rich countries such as India,USA,China and the rest and to think that Ghana tops that list tells you the influence and purchasing power of Ghana with a population of 29 million people with a purchasing power of more than 200 billion dollars.Which country on that list is a poor country or depend on the zoo country Nigeria, none. I mean,in just 3 months,we bought goods worth 3 billion dollars from Nigeria who's not even among our top ten largest importers.We trade more with Cote D'Ivoire than even Nigeria in West Africa buh to them,we are their largest buyers and exporting country in the world.

Imagine the jobs and families we feed in Nigeria with all these billions of dollars we feed them.Without us they're dead.We are more important to them than even America and China.If we block their imports from Ghana,millions of Nigerians will be extremely poor people adding up to their already 100 million extremely poor poverty capital of the world people.

Is it not only oil we supply you on credit which no other country accept to give you on credit what other product do Ghana bought from Nigeria? Which country apart from Nigeria give you oil on credit mention the nation. Libya stop given you oil immediately Gadafi die, Equatorial Guinea refuse to give you when they see the volume of amount you own Nigeria since 1991 till today. Ghana need Nigeria more than Nigeria need them, please we beg Ghana to close their land and sea against Nigeria and let see who dance better.
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by obama30: 7:59am On Dec 16, 2019
GENEGIRIA:
Let me tell you a few things about the current Ghanaian reality. I am disappointed you are using currency as the only yardstick for measuring the health of an economy.

Currently, inflation in Ghana is around 7%, the economy is growing rapaciously at 8.8%. The current government has made education free for both primary and secondary school students. students are also fed free and provided free uniforms by the government. Ghanaians enjoy electricity 24/7. Infrastructure is being improved upon. Unemployment is at 23% and falling all the time, life expectancy is 65 years. Ghana’s health and education budget for 2019 are bigger than that of Nigeria, even with its 200 million population. Ghana currently attracts more FDI than nigeria.

Let me tell you a few things about Nigeria. Currently, as we speak, some 16 million nigerian children don’t attend school. These are the future robbers, boko haram, pr0stitutes, kidnappers etc etc cool electricity is still a massive problem in your country despite Nigeria producing 2.5 million barrels of crude daily and billions scf of gas daily. Poverty is another big wahala in Nigeria. grin

What is life expectancy in Nigeria? grin inflation level? Corruption level? Unemployment nko? What about access to health care and personal security?

The United Nations Development Programme has what it calls Human Development Index. If you want to know how the two countries compare against each other, go and find out grin the difference is 7UP grin

Cedi's is dead currency even in Ghana that owns it. there's nothing to sustain the economy apart from oil they bought from Nigeria on credit. see Ghana is talking about life expectancy when Ghanaian youths life span ends at 45 because of over dose akpetesi, the reason for depends in apetesi is because no hope for youth, 90 percent of Ghanaian ladies are prostitute even though they don't stay in brothel, Ghana can use any thing to give them self encouragement about economy but we know they depends in borrowing and begging. yes Nigeria produce 200 million barrels of oil daily and mismanage the money. what about Ghana oil field that Kufor government use to borrow money that ghana used for celebration of Ghana at 50 and since then your oil field belong to another nation because you can't manage. you brag about your light which china government is main owner and Ghana government is just taken commission. what about your main gold mining field at Tarkwa that has been use to borrow 30million dollars from German government when you say your economy is growing please tell ours the area and what grow the economy, may be from kenke. please let Ghana and Nigeria end whatever that relate them and let see who suffer more
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by GENEGIRIA: 8:27pm On Dec 16, 2019
you are talking rubbish grin nigeria is not even fit to polish Ghana's shoes grin

Nigeria’s loss is Ghana’s gain grin
https://www.theafricareport.com/21326/nigerias-loss-is-ghanas-gain/
Posted on Monday, 16 December 2019 14:33
By positioning itself as open for business and diaspora, Ghana is seizing the opportunities that Nigeria is missing.
December is a busy month for airlines flying between London and West Africa.

Many first and second-generation West Africans, living in Europe or elsewhere, will fly home to celebrate the holidays with their extended families. Airlines, like British Airways (BA), will make a killing on this route by offering return tickets to Accra and Lagos for as much as $2,400 (£1,800).
Observing the persistent seasonal price gouging for a group of consumers without much in the way of choice, a luxury car leasing company in London spotted an opportunity to disrupt BA and Virgin Atlantic’s business model.

The new venture – Black Star Airlines – leased a private jet for ten days over Christmas and New Year, offering return flights to Accra for just $1,850 (£1,399). The offer has been gobbled up, with over 7,000 tickets sold so far.
Interestingly, a significant number of buyers are Nigerians who want to spend the holidays in Ghana, or save on costs by connecting to Lagos via Accra.

The relative ease of obtaining operating permission from the Ghana Civil Aviation Authority is what makes the entire operation possible. The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority may not have been as cooperative as their counterparts in Ghana.
The comparison between the two authorities is a moot point because the default destination is Accra – even though, statistically, there is a far greater demand for flights to Lagos from Nigerian travellers. UK census figures from 2016 found 96,000 Ghanaians living in Britain, compared to 196,000 Nigerians.

The Blinkered Giant
While it is used less frequently outside Nigeria nowadays, the term “Giant of Africa” remains a mainstay of Nigeria’s self image.
The Nigerian government’s position on trade, investment, and travel is similar in character to that of a remote, previously-important European province that is not yet over its history, and views outsiders and modern ideas with suspicion.
Statistically, Nigeria is the obvious destination for foreign investment in West Africa – particularly from the English-speaking world – but the anecdote above illustrates a growing economic trend in the subregion.

On paper and in practice, investors and tourists are increasingly voting with their feet and choosing Ghana ahead of Nigeria.
• In 2018, Nigeria recorded $1.9bn in FDI inflows, down sharply from $3.5bn in 2017.
• Ghana, in comparison, recorded $3.5bn in 2018, up from $3.2bn in 2017 – a remarkable feat for a country with a population six times smaller than Nigeria.

As this trend continues, Nigeria is effectively chasing away much-needed money and expertise while its economy remains beset by austerity measures, runaway debt, and a protectionist policy outlook that seems to be set in stone.
During his first iteration as a military Head of State, Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari’s economic and cultural idea of Nigeria focuses exclusively on a vision of the country as a completely self-sufficient giant whose massive internal market is the be-all-and-end-all of business in Africa.

By completely ignoring the fact that six people slide into extreme poverty every minute in Nigeria, Buhari’s administration has become dangerously obsessed with the idea of turning Nigeria into the economic equivalent of the mythical perpetual motion machine.
Ghana, on the other hand, with its smaller population and lack of a national superiority complex, is not burdened by such problematic ideas. Ghana’s tourism revenue, currently ranked first in West Africa, shows that it’s reaping the rewards of opening up to the world, while Nigeria closes its borders, both literally and figuratively.
Ghana Seizes the Initiative

Much of the Ghanaian government’s efforts to pitch itself as the alternative to Nigeria in West Africa hinges on its ‘Year of Return’ campaign.
In 2019, the country welcomed more foreign visitors than ever before in its post-independence history. The African diaspora is buying into the idea of visiting or moving to Ghana, with predictably positive trade and investment results.

While Nigeria counts a far greater share of the African diaspora as its descendants – having hosted at least four of West Africa’s biggest slave ports in Badagry, Ebute Metta, Calabar, and Okrika – Ghana has cashed the cheque that its bigger neighbour sat on for decades.
Ghana also grants citizenship to people from the African diaspora, which allows returnees the right to own land.
Despite having access to far more unused land than Ghana, Nigeria is failing to grasp the benefits of attracting more visitors. It also appears content with imprisoning itself within its borders.

The only area in which Nigeria does not engage in this self-imposed autarky is in entertainment – probably one of its best-performing economic sectors. Yet, this is also under threat as Ghana tries to become West Africa’s new cultural leader.

There is another example of a navel-gazing behemoth that conceded its advantage to a smaller neighbour.
Post World War 2, Japan rapidly overtook China in all economic and human development scores by focusing on technology and productivity, while China pursued ruinous autarky under Mao Zedong’s leadership. Until 2011, Japan had a much larger economy than China despite having nearly a tenth of its population.

Snatching Defeat From the Jaws of Victory
Tunde Ajileye, a partner at SBM Intelligence, a Lagos-based political and economic risk advisory firm, has an explanation for Nigeria’s apparent retrogression.
• “Prior to now, what compelled people to come into Nigeria was Nigeria’s large market, but this population has gotten poorer and poorer over the last decade. People’s purchasing power has reduced and it is thus not as large a market as Nigerians have come to believe. When you add to this the current government’s stance on trade and foreign investment, that explains why people are looking at other destinations for travel and investment,” says Ajileye.
He also believes that Nigeria’s hostile regulatory environment, and an atmosphere of insecurity and lawlessness, have spooked investors.
• “The issues facing MTN are an example of this, as is the bigger conversation surrounding rule of law. There is also the issue of security, particularly kidnapping which foreigners are very prone to. So it is not one thing, but a number of things aggravated by a government not showing up in terms of trade, culture, investment and travel,” says Ajileye.
He also says Nigeria’s baffling policy of navel-gazing and self-imposed isolationism have handed an easy victory to Ghana.

Nigeria’s Loss, Ghana’s Gain
Ghana has successfully positioned itself as the beneficiary of Nigeria’s puzzling withdrawal from the global investment table. As the next largest English-speaking country in West Africa with favourable travel and trade conditions, Ghana has quietly gone about its business. It has a simple and transparent visa policy. It is also strengthening its passport through a series of bilateral travel agreements, allowing for easier access to more destinations for its citizens.

Ghana’s ‘Right to Return’ campaign has generated huge interest among African-Americans and Afro-Caribbeans who want to visit or relocate to the continent. In 2018, Ghana issued roughly 80,000 visitor visas. Between January and September 2019, 750,000 visitor visas were issued, allowing more money and skills to easily flow into Ghana.

A relatively friendly regulatory policy towards foreign investment is also helping Ghana to reduce poverty.
After emerging from military rule at the turn of the century, Ghana has successfully established the rule of law and deepened its democracy. It also suffers less from internal conflict and unrest than its English-speaking neighbours.

Nigeria, by contrast, has a notoriously long and expensive visa application process and a surprisingly difficult path to citizenship.
While its $385bn economy with nearly 200m population should be the most obvious destination for investment and repatriation from the African diaspora, Nigeria has chosen to scare away investors with corporate shakedowns.

It also bullies its smaller neighbours with unilateral border closures, and generally thumbs its nose at the world.
This has created a perception of a country that is as unfriendly as it is poor, which Ajileye believes, can only end badly.
• “In Economics, perception is everything. If people believe that things will get better, they usually do, and if people believe that things are going to get worse, they also usually do,” according to Ajileye.

[s]
obama30:

Cedi's is dead currency even in Ghana that owns it. there's nothing to sustain the economy apart from oil they bought from Nigeria on credit. see Ghana is talking about life expectancy when Ghanaian youths life span ends at 45 because of over dose akpetesi, the reason for depends in apetesi is because no hope for youth, 90 percent of Ghanaian ladies are prostitute even though they don't stay in brothel, Ghana can use any thing to give them self encouragement about economy but we know they depends in borrowing and begging. yes Nigeria produce 200 million barrels of oil daily and mismanage the money. what about Ghana oil field that Kufor government use to borrow money that ghana used for celebration of Ghana at 50 and since then your oil field belong to another nation because you can't manage. you brag about your light which china government is main owner and Ghana government is just taken commission. what about your main gold mining field at Tarkwa that has been use to borrow 30million dollars from German government when you say your economy is growing please tell ours the area and what grow the economy, may be from kenke. please let Ghana and Nigeria end whatever that relate them and let see who suffer more
[/s]
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by Area4Area: 8:58pm On Dec 16, 2019
GENEGIRIA:
you are talking rubbish grin nigeria is not even fit to polish Ghana's shoes grin

By positioning itself as open for business and diaspora, Ghana is seizing the opportunities that Nigeria is missing.

Many first and second-generation West Africans, living in Europe or elsewhere, will fly home to celebrate the holidays with their extended families. Airlines, like British Airways (BA), will make a killing on this route by offering return tickets to Accra and Lagos for as much as $2,400 (£1,800).
Observing the persistent seasonal price gouging for a group of consumers without much in the way of choice, a luxury car leasing company in London spotted an opportunity to disrupt BA and Virgin Atlantic’s business model.

The new venture – Black Star Airlines – leased a private jet for ten days over Christmas and New Year, offering return flights to Accra for just $1,850 (£1,399). The offer has been gobbled up, with over 7,000 tickets sold so far.
Interestingly, a significant number of buyers are Nigerians who want to spend the holidays in Ghana, or save on costs by connecting to Lagos via Accra.

The relative ease of obtaining operating permission from the Ghana Civil Aviation Authority is what makes the entire operation possible. The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority may not have been as cooperative as their counterparts in Ghana.
The comparison between the two authorities is a moot point because the default destination is Accra – even though, statistically, there is a far greater demand for flights to Lagos from Nigerian travellers. UK census figures from 2016 found 96,000 Ghanaians living in Britain, compared to 196,000 Nigerians.

The Blinkered Giant
While it is used less frequently outside Nigeria nowadays, the term “Giant of Africa” remains a mainstay of Nigeria’s self image.
The Nigerian government’s position on trade, investment, and travel is similar in character to that of a remote, previously-important European province that is not yet over its history, and views outsiders and modern ideas with suspicion.
Statistically, Nigeria is the obvious destination for foreign investment in West Africa – particularly from the English-speaking world – but the anecdote above illustrates a growing economic trend in the subregion.

On paper and in practice, investors and tourists are increasingly voting with their feet and choosing Ghana ahead of Nigeria.
• In 2018, Nigeria recorded $1.9bn in FDI inflows, down sharply from $3.5bn in 2017.
• Ghana, in comparison, recorded $3.5bn in 2018, up from $3.2bn in 2017 – a remarkable feat for a country with a population six times smaller than Nigeria.

As this trend continues, Nigeria is effectively chasing away much-needed money and expertise while its economy remains beset by austerity measures, runaway debt, and a protectionist policy outlook that seems to be set in stone.
During his first iteration as a military Head of State, Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari’s economic and cultural idea of Nigeria focuses exclusively on a vision of the country as a completely self-sufficient giant whose massive internal market is the be-all-and-end-all of business in Africa.

By completely ignoring the fact that six people slide into extreme poverty every minute in Nigeria, Buhari’s administration has become dangerously obsessed with the idea of turning Nigeria into the economic equivalent of the mythical perpetual motion machine.
Ghana, on the other hand, with its smaller population and lack of a national superiority complex, is not burdened by such problematic ideas. Ghana’s tourism revenue, currently ranked first in West Africa, shows that it’s reaping the rewards of opening up to the world, while Nigeria closes its borders, both literally and figuratively.

Much of the Ghanaian government’s efforts to pitch itself as the alternative to Nigeria in West Africa hinges on its ‘Year of Return’ campaign.
In 2019, the country welcomed more foreign visitors than ever before in its post-independence history. The African diaspora is buying into the idea of visiting or moving to Ghana, with predictably positive trade and investment results.

While Nigeria counts a far greater share of the African diaspora as its descendants – having hosted at least four of West Africa’s biggest slave ports in Badagry, Ebute Metta, Calabar, and Okrika – Ghana has cashed the cheque that its bigger neighbour sat on for decades.
Ghana also grants citizenship to people from the African diaspora, which allows returnees the right to own land.
Despite having access to far more unused land than Ghana, Nigeria is failing to grasp the benefits of attracting more visitors. It also appears content with imprisoning itself within its borders.

The only area in which Nigeria does not engage in this self-imposed autarky is in entertainment – probably one of its best-performing economic sectors. Yet, this is also under threat as Ghana tries to become West Africa’s new cultural leader.

There is another example of a navel-gazing behemoth that conceded its advantage to a smaller neighbour.
Post World War 2, Japan rapidly overtook China in all economic and human development scores by focusing on technology and productivity, while China pursued ruinous autarky under Mao Zedong’s leadership. Until 2011, Japan had a much larger economy than China despite having nearly a tenth of its population.

Tunde Ajileye, a partner at SBM Intelligence, a Lagos-based political and economic risk advisory firm, has an explanation for Nigeria’s apparent retrogression.
• “Prior to now, what compelled people to come into Nigeria was Nigeria’s large market, but this population has gotten poorer and poorer over the last decade. People’s purchasing power has reduced and it is thus not as large a market as Nigerians have come to believe. When you add to this the current government’s stance on trade and foreign investment, that explains why people are looking at other destinations for travel and investment,” says Ajileye.
He also believes that Nigeria’s hostile regulatory environment, and an atmosphere of insecurity and lawlessness, have spooked investors.
• “The issues facing MTN are an example of this, as is the bigger conversation surrounding rule of law. There is also the issue of security, particularly kidnapping which foreigners are very prone to. So it is not one thing, but a number of things aggravated by a government not showing up in terms of trade, culture, investment and travel,” says Ajileye.
He also says Nigeria’s baffling policy of navel-gazing and self-imposed isolationism have handed an easy victory to Ghana.

Ghana has successfully positioned itself as the beneficiary of Nigeria’s puzzling withdrawal from the global investment table. As the next largest English-speaking country in West Africa with favourable travel and trade conditions, Ghana has quietly gone about its business. It has a simple and transparent visa policy. It is also strengthening its passport through a series of bilateral travel agreements, allowing for easier access to more destinations for its citizens.

Ghana’s ‘Right to Return’ campaign has generated huge interest among African-Americans and Afro-Caribbeans who want to visit or relocate to the continent. In 2018, Ghana issued roughly 80,000 visitor visas. Between January and September 2019, 750,000 visitor visas were issued, allowing more money and skills to easily flow into Ghana.

A relatively friendly regulatory policy towards foreign investment is also helping Ghana to reduce poverty.
After emerging from military rule at the turn of the century, Ghana has successfully established the rule of law and deepened its democracy. It also suffers less from internal conflict and unrest than its English-speaking neighbours.

Nigeria, by contrast, has a notoriously long and expensive visa application process and a surprisingly difficult path to citizenship.
While its $385bn economy with nearly 200m population should be the most obvious destination for investment and repatriation from the African diaspora, Nigeria has chosen to scare away investors with corporate shakedowns.

It also bullies its smaller neighbours with unilateral border closures, and generally thumbs its nose at the world.
This has created a perception of a country that is as unfriendly as it is poor, which Ajileye believes, can only end badly.
• “In Economics, perception is everything. If people believe that things will get better, they usually do, and if people believe that things are going to get worse, they also usually do,” according to Ajileye.

[s][/s]
Just look at the epistle you reeled out, say whatever you want to say, the land borders remains shut indefinitely so you can go on crying us River Nigeria and Volta.

Every time you go on crying and shouting that it is Nigeria that is losing and Ghana gaining yet no company in Nigeria had complained to you that the border closure is affecting their businesses in Ghana unlike Ghanaian companies crying out everyday.
Bring your links and let me bring mine if you dare.
Re: Ghana Becomes Nigeria’s Biggest Trade Partner After Border Closure by obama30: 3:33pm On Dec 17, 2019
GENEGIRIA:

The Blinkered Giant

[s][/s]

comparing Ghana and Nigeria is like compering America with Poland. which part of Ghana we don't know and what exactly make the economy to grow. please i end discussion regard poor nations as Ghana for now

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Travel Ban: Timi Frank Releases ‘authentic List’ Of Those Affected / PDP Pulls Massive Crowd On A 3x Bigger Venue Than The APC Campaign Rally Venue / Obaseki Formally Joins PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.