Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,618 members, 7,851,093 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 01:21 PM

Senate Reviewing Law Requiring Female PolicePersonnel To SeekPermission To Marry - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Reviewing Law Requiring Female PolicePersonnel To SeekPermission To Marry (574 Views)

Peter Obi Applauds LP for Reviewing Imo Governorship Nomination Form / Justice Mary Odili In Supreme Court Panel Reviewing Bayelsa Election Judgement / El-Rufai Goes Through Official Files Requiring His Attention (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Reviewing Law Requiring Female PolicePersonnel To SeekPermission To Marry by ManirBK: 6:45am On Dec 14, 2019
The Nigerian Senate is reviewing
the law forbidding policewomen
from marrying without first
seeking permission from the
force.
The amendment to the Police Act
2004 to expunge the gender-
discriminatory provisions passed
the second reading on Thursday,
according to the News Agency of
Nigeria.
This followed the presentation of
the bill by the sponsor, Senator
Ezenwa Onyewuchi (PDP-Imo
East), during plenary.
Leading the debate on the
general principles of the bill,
Onyewuchi said that the bill was
read for the first time on October
He explained that there was need
to expunge the regulations as it
was not reasonably justifiable in
a democratic state like Nigeria.
The lawmaker enumerated the
duties of the police to include
prevention and detection of
crime, apprehension of
offenders, preservation of law
and order among others.
He said that that the bill sought
to expunge the provisions of
regulations 122, 123, 124 and
127 from the principal act.
Onyewuchi noted that Regulation
122 restricts policewomen
assigned to the General Duties
Branch of the Nigeria Police
Force to telephone, clerical and
office orderly duties.
He said, “Regulation 123
prohibits women police from
drilling under arms; Regulation
124 mandates female police
officers to apply for permission
to marry while the intending
fiancé is also investigated for
criminal records.
“It also stipulates that a
policewoman who is single at
the time of enlistment must
spend three years in service
before applying for permission
to marry.
www.saharareporters.com/2019/12/12/senate-reviewing-law-requiring-female-police-personnel-seek-permission-marry?f

Mynd44 oam4j lalasticlala mynd44
Re: Senate Reviewing Law Requiring Female PolicePersonnel To SeekPermission To Marry by ManirBK: 6:45am On Dec 14, 2019
So,our female police officers have
been begging to get married all
these years.After praying to God
for husband they will still take a
permission from the force telling
them pls o I have seen
somebody,who loves me and
ready to marry me. What a
humiliation!
Re: Senate Reviewing Law Requiring Female PolicePersonnel To SeekPermission To Marry by ManirBK: 6:58am On Dec 14, 2019
Just hearing the first time today,
that police women don't use to
marry!
Re: Senate Reviewing Law Requiring Female PolicePersonnel To SeekPermission To Marry by iyatrustee(f): 7:33am On Dec 14, 2019
Have you ever seen a pregnant policewoman? cheesy

It therefore probably means after they grant her permission to marry, she will be off duty or be in mufti for the duration of her pregnancy.
Re: Senate Reviewing Law Requiring Female PolicePersonnel To SeekPermission To Marry by gloriaunobi(f): 7:45am On Dec 14, 2019
Sound strange
Re: Senate Reviewing Law Requiring Female PolicePersonnel To SeekPermission To Marry by Simplyleo: 8:08am On Dec 14, 2019
iyatrustee:
Have you ever seen a pregnant policewoman? cheesy

It therefore probably means after they grant her permission to marry, she will be off duty or be in mufti for the duration of her pregnancy.
Not only the female, same applies to Male, just that they want to review that of the females.

Applications seeking for marriage approval once you have served for some stated period (around 2 yrs or so) are usually approved. It's just to officially inform the force that you are married. It is important for the purpose of deployments as females are usually deployed close to where their hubbies are based.

Of course, you must have served for some approved period b4 the application will be approved to prevent cases of joining the force today, 3 months later, you are applying for maternity leave, not acceptable.
Re: Senate Reviewing Law Requiring Female PolicePersonnel To SeekPermission To Marry by iyatrustee(f): 8:15am On Dec 14, 2019
Simplyleo:

Not only the female, same applies to Male, just that they want to review that of the females.

Applications seeking for marriage once you have served for some approved period (around 2 yrs or so) are usually approved. It's just to officially inform the force that you are married. It is important for the purpose of deployments.

Of course, you must have served for some approved period b4 the application will be approved to prevent cases of joining the force today, 3 months later, you are applying for maternity leave, not acceptable.

Thanks for shedding more light. Still curious as to what happens when a policewoman gets pregnant. Any ideas?
Re: Senate Reviewing Law Requiring Female PolicePersonnel To SeekPermission To Marry by Simplyleo: 8:19am On Dec 14, 2019
iyatrustee:

Thanks for shedding more light. Still curious as to what happens when a policewoman gets pregnant. Any ideas?
They wear gowns as uniforms sown with the uniform materials. It is allowed for heavily pregnant female police officers. Haven't you seen them in those black gowns wearing their ranks and other accotriments?
Re: Senate Reviewing Law Requiring Female PolicePersonnel To SeekPermission To Marry by Simplyleo: 8:20am On Dec 14, 2019
ManirBK:
Just hearing the first time today,
that police women don't use to
marry!
They do bro, just like every other persons.just that approval is required to get married and same applies to their Male counterparts. Applications seeking the approval is just formality, they are always approved once some conditions are satisfied.
Re: Senate Reviewing Law Requiring Female PolicePersonnel To SeekPermission To Marry by iyatrustee(f): 8:23am On Dec 14, 2019
Simplyleo:

They wear gowns as uniforms sown with the uniform materials. It is allowed for heavily pregnant female police officers. Haven't you seen them in those black gowns wearing their ranks and other accotriments?

Not even once have i seen such or i probably didnt take notice since i already formed an opinion of what i think happens to them. But they will be restricted to the administrative office right?

I have always thought they go on a long leave once they get pregnant. I got informed today, thanks bro!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Reviewing Law Requiring Female PolicePersonnel To SeekPermission To Marry by Simplyleo: 8:25am On Dec 14, 2019
iyatrustee:

Not even once! But they will be restricted to the administrative office right?

I have always thought they go on a long leave once they get pregnant. I got informed today, thanks bro!
Exactly. They mostly remain in offices for some admin work especially when the pregnancy is becoming obvious.
Re: Senate Reviewing Law Requiring Female PolicePersonnel To SeekPermission To Marry by martjay(m): 8:35am On Dec 14, 2019
Permission to marry? Well, they know what is best for them.
Re: Senate Reviewing Law Requiring Female PolicePersonnel To SeekPermission To Marry by babyfaceafrica: 8:36am On Dec 14, 2019
Useless laws
Re: Senate Reviewing Law Requiring Female PolicePersonnel To SeekPermission To Marry by Simplyleo: 8:40am On Dec 14, 2019
martjay:
Permission to marry? It doesn't sound good.
It is neccessarily for the purpose of deployments. Female police officers are usually deployed close to their hubbies. The application is just for formality, it is always approved.
Re: Senate Reviewing Law Requiring Female PolicePersonnel To SeekPermission To Marry by Simplyleo: 9:11am On Dec 14, 2019
Lol. cheesy cheesy
Re: Senate Reviewing Law Requiring Female PolicePersonnel To SeekPermission To Marry by solmusdesigns: 9:41am On Dec 14, 2019
grin

Quick question...

Have anyone ever seen a pregnant police officer ? or dont they give birth

Re: Senate Reviewing Law Requiring Female PolicePersonnel To SeekPermission To Marry by thatigboman: 9:49am On Dec 14, 2019
Simplyleo:

They do bro, just like every other persons.just that approval is required to get married and same applies to their Male counterparts. Applications seeking the approval is just formality, they are always approved once some conditions are satisfied.
seeking approval to get married is unjustifiable. U just send the IV and regularise your status after marriage by submitting marriage certificate and newspaper publication.
To say an officer should serve 3 years before getting married is equally very wrong. U can join the force today, get married 2moro and go on maternity in 9 months time. U have 35 years of national service.
Re: Senate Reviewing Law Requiring Female PolicePersonnel To SeekPermission To Marry by Simplyleo: 9:54am On Dec 14, 2019
thatigboman:
seeking approval to get married is unjustifiable. U just send the IV and regularise your status after marriage by submitting marriage certificate and newspaper publication.
To say an officer should serve 3 years before getting married is equally very wrong. U can join the force today, get married 2moro and go on maternity in 9 months time. U have 35 years of national service.
Well, that is what the rule says and I wasn't a member of the board that formulated the rule. I simply explained what is on ground contrary to some of the comment suggesting that policewomen don't get married if the ogas dont want.

@ the emboldened, you may educate yourself by discussing with any police officer you know.

Besides, I'm pretty sure a cue must have been taken from the normal practices from other countries when the rules were being made, hence not peculiar to Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Updates: Tension In Oyo As Supreme Court To Deliver Makinde, Adelabu's Case / SE Acquires A New Alliance, Called North+SE+SS. They Dropped MB / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.