Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:32 PM

University Education Has Failed Us: Perhaps It's Time To Focus On A Skill - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / University Education Has Failed Us: Perhaps It's Time To Focus On A Skill (270 Views)

3 Signs That It’s Time To Quit Your Job / 5 Ways To Know It's Time To Quit Your Job / "Nigeria Has Failed You If You Are A Graduate Earning Less Than 200K Monthly" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

University Education Has Failed Us: Perhaps It's Time To Focus On A Skill by Canonspace: 7:06am On Dec 16, 2019
I would have loved to tell you a story about how I wasted seven years of my life studying Engineering in a Nigerian University. I would love to write about how I learned nearly nothing, and how upon graduation I'm now doing something entirely different from what I studied in School. But this article is not about me, so I don't wanna tell too many personal stories.

Many Nigerian Institutions of higher learning impart no skill, zero knowledge, and are graduating large numbers of uncouth illiterates. Some might want to argue, but this is the sad reality that we have found ourselves. Apologies for the harsh words. They say "the first step to change is accepting your reality" right? Right! So, let's be honest and tell it like it is.

Do you feel that your degree was value for money?

That was the question put to recent graduates by the British Broadcasting Corporation, not in Nigeria, but in the United Kingdom.

The question arose as a result of the concerns expressed by members of the British Parliamentary Committee on Education about the value of both government and graduates are getting from their expenditure on tertiary education.

The Chairperson of the Committee, Mr. Robert Halfon, made the following observations, among others;

1. Too many universities are not offering value for money. And

2. A reasonable percent of graduates in the UK are no longer working in graduate positions.

If the United Kingdom, an advanced economy, is frustrated by the return on its investment in tertiary education, what should anyone say about the situation in Nigeria?

While pondering over the decay in Nigerian institutions of higher learning, I recall this professor in my UG classes. He was the most senior professor in the department, a visiting lecturer though. But here is the funny part of the story. Mr Senior professor travelled hundreds of miles every Monday morning to read to us (students) a book he coauthored in the late 1980's (approx 20 years out of date). So, every monday, we all sat down in the old engineering hall and listened tentatively to a book being read to us for four good hours. It was boring as hell, and I bet you I don't recall anything I learned from that class.

We were made to memorize outdated theorems and complex mathematical formulae. Only to graduate and realize that we lacked the skills to fit into the modern day economy.

Many if not most Nigerian university graduates can barely speak or write good sentences. So, what's the point? What's the gain of going through a system for 20 years and not perfecting in any skill at all? Why should anyone waste so many years schooling when they cannot apply the knowledge to solve practical problems?

Check out how many Nigerian graduates end up in non-graduate roles. How many Nigerian graduates are taking jobs and salaries far below their qualifications, just to get through? Is the situation going to get better or worse as more students study courses that are not their preferences in a shrinking economy where work is hard to find?

Even those with degrees in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM), how skilled are they? Many are walking the streets with certificates jostling for jobs that are nonexistent. A good number of STEM professionals who are lucky may end up finding jobs as artisans.

This brings us to the question begging for attention. Does every post-18 education have to be in a university, given that most of those who receive such education simply waste their time and money? A trip to many of our colleges will convince you that many of our students are not pleased to be there. They're just there to obtain a degree whose value in the future, they don't know. Many lecturers are only interested in their monthly paycheque. Perhaps, that's the highest paying job they could find. No motivation, no zeal, no passion!

It is further saddening to know that the problem doesn't necessary begin and end with the poor quality of our universities. Secondary school education is also on the verge of collapse. Private primary schools in some parts of the country are doing averagely well (Emphasis: Not all).

However, if not university education, what else is on offer, would the follow-up question be?

Learn a skill! Start learning a skill before going for higher learning. And I am no talking about the so called skills everyone is learning. Learn something different. Here is a list of IT skills that currently pay a fortune and will even pay more in the near future.

For starters, you can begin with a basic programming language like Python or Scratch (a visual programming language best suitable for kids). Basic education is a necessity, that's true. But, we are in an era of perfection where specific skills matter more than general knowledge. Focus on the things you have developed passion for. Read books, learn the art of writing and public speaking as well. Start an experimental blog.

For those who have already passed through the system; you have wasted many years, yes. But you've still got a lot of time to grow. It's never too late to learn. Find a niche, zero in and focus solely on it. It's gonna take a while, no doubt. Just remain resolute and you can get perfect at anything.

1 Like

Re: University Education Has Failed Us: Perhaps It's Time To Focus On A Skill by popsy2(m): 7:10am On Dec 16, 2019
Good one

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING: PENGASSAN Calls For Removal Of Chevron MD / Improve On Your English Language Accent / Entry Level Software Engineer Jobs In California - Jobsunique

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.