Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,923 members, 7,817,704 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:37 PM

FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria (17506 Views)

FG Mulls Single Salary Scale For Federal Civil Service MDAs / FG Mulls Handover Of Power Distribution To Siemens / FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria by dre11(m): 8:24am On Dec 16, 2019
Sabo Nanono, Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, has said that the Federal Government is considering banning any commodity Nigeria has the potential of producing or is currently producing from being imported.

According to Nanono, this is to save the country’s foreign exchange.

He also said the Federal Government’s closure of the Nigerian border does not in any way breach the free trade agreement in the West African sub-region.

The minister said on Sunday in Abuja that the measure was meant to protect the country and its citizens from the nefarious activities which take place at the borders.

“Free trade does not mean Nigeria has to be a dumping ground for everything imported by others. These products are not even from all these countries involved. So, why should they be feasting on us?

“Nigeria controls 60 to 70 percent of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in the West African sub-region.

“So, Nigeria’s economy still remains a buffer zone for the West African sub-region.

“Besides, most of the people that come into this country and melt into the population from the West African sub-region come in because this country is accommodating them.

“This happens to the extent that some of these people, when they migrate into this country, you do not even know that they are immigrants.

“Take for example, people from Niger Republic when they come into Kano State, what will differentiate them from the people from Kano, or those from Benin Republic who come into Oyo State or Osun. They look like us.

“This situation creates a problem, and the border closure is a measure that has gone a long way in solving the problem,’’ Nanono said.

The minister disclosed that the Federal Government was holding talks with the countries concerned to ensure that they kept to the terms of the free trade agreement.

He said the border closure was not meant to hurt anybody.
“It was a decision taken after careful deliberation and series of attempts by government to get the neighbouring countries to check the illegal activities at the borders.”

Nanono pointed out that a lot of activities were going on at the borders which were not in the interest of Nigeria and Nigerians.
“Nigeria became a dumping ground for all kinds of imports, especially rice, which used to come from these neighbouring countries.

“The unfortunate thing about it is that most of the rice being imported are not healthy and 100 percent of these rice were not produced in these countries. They were produced elsewhere.

“From what I gathered, some of the countries were even given some form of assistance to curb these imports, but they refused to change.

“They went ahead, with their countries becoming routes to import rice and other things into this country.

“No country in the world can tolerate what we have tolerated over the years.

“This (Nigeria) is a country that can produce rice, not only to feed itself but also to export to other countries.

“Even before the closure of border, when the government changed policy from continuous importation of rice to restriction, the Nigerian farmers have showed that they can produce rice to feed this nation,” he said.

https://www.independent.ng/fg-mulls-banning-importation-of-commodities-produced-in-nigeria/

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria by drizslim(m): 10:43am On Dec 16, 2019
I really didnt get to read this epistle so i no know what 2 say

I rushed to this thread to claim ftc

Naija FG news no dey motivating, the positive ones like minimum wage remains audio , meanwhile vat hike increament commences 17 days from today

Moreover this festive is like a blezzing

I install security camera, satellites , solar panels
Dm my mail so we could talk biz...

A happy week to everyone anticipating christmas & 2020.. No untimely deaths such as accidents will harm us.. Amen

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria by czarina(f): 10:44am On Dec 16, 2019
Long overdue. Buy Naija to grow Naija.

God bless the FG for this.

Check my profile. I've got something for you cool

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria by tunjiajayi: 10:44am On Dec 16, 2019
Another beautiful one.
All hail the general.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:44am On Dec 16, 2019
chai!!
is God not wonderful? cool

6 Likes

Re: FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria by BlackfireX: 10:44am On Dec 16, 2019
Confused govt run by the lifeless fc

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria by jesus247alive(m): 10:44am On Dec 16, 2019
Shey una see

Where do this ppl think from.

As if we have not suffered enough

Another evil about to be unleashed..

I hope you guys heard that Christians now will be paying government before getting married.

Allah ya tsi ne musu.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria by RichDad1(m): 10:44am On Dec 16, 2019
Good idea.
However, fix electricity first.
Stop putting the cart before the horse.

21 Likes

Re: FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria by Dubembiafra: 10:44am On Dec 16, 2019
The only thing I have to say is " 4Q"

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria by theenchanter: 10:44am On Dec 16, 2019
Economic wahala.... straight!!!!!

U don't just ban importation of goods anyhow.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria by Ernerstdavid55(m): 10:45am On Dec 16, 2019
grin audio

2 Likes

Re: FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria by tstx(m): 10:45am On Dec 16, 2019
Ok
Re: FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria by Mokason28: 10:45am On Dec 16, 2019
“No country in the world can tolerate what we have tolerated over the years.

“This (Nigeria) is a country that can produce rice, not only to feed itself but also to export to other countries.

No country will ever tolerate an illiterate goro chewing man with out certificate to rule them for two consecutive tenure and even anticipating a third tenure sad

Oga Strengthen Nigeria’s Macro-economic Environment First

Electricity Grid Has Collapsed Countless Times, This Will Only Hamper Productivity• And someone is thinking of exporting... exporting what exactly??

I know Zombies will come for me ... For your information I’m enjoying this beautiful government I won’t mind third term grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria by Enemyofpeace: 10:45am On Dec 16, 2019
Na dam sabi, anything wey Buhari like make him do. As soon as dominique finish writing her school cert exams next year, I will be out of this country for good

2 Likes

Re: FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria by Ekakamba: 10:46am On Dec 16, 2019
Slow and steady. I hope this CornTree becomes better.

5 Likes

Re: FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria by IneedOT: 10:46am On Dec 16, 2019
Government should ban anything banable grin
It doesn't concern me

3 Likes

Re: FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria by solmusdesigns: 10:46am On Dec 16, 2019
Talk and do Government

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:46am On Dec 16, 2019
We dey here, before you embark on that ensure you put everything in place,the rice scarcity issue is already a going concern
Re: FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria by charleff512(m): 10:46am On Dec 16, 2019
The Government will only be fair when Aisha follow us chop destoned local rice and the President start wearing Made in Aba Shoes.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria by SoNature(m): 10:47am On Dec 16, 2019
Bad idea because a typical Nigerian is an opportunist.

Nigerian producers will hike their prices and finish all of us.

We don't have price regulatory board anymore

5 Likes

Re: FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria by jacoik(m): 10:47am On Dec 16, 2019
I hope say una no go follow ban my weed
Re: FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria by Jaqenhghar: 10:47am On Dec 16, 2019
If you actually produce things like you claim, there will be no need for banning anything. Those importing will realize how foolish it is to import those things

3 Likes

Re: FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 10:47am On Dec 16, 2019
I honestly don't know who advises these people. Banning importation of goods isn't the answer, whether the goods are produced in the country or not. If these countries decide to retaliate and ban importation from Nigeria, we'll be the ones to suffer it.
Solution: Create a good environment for businesses to thrive, and watch if we'll need to import some of these foodstuff again

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria by mujiboy(m): 10:48am On Dec 16, 2019
Bunch of Unserious people.
Later they will even want to ban us from leaving the country too.
Re: FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria by 12345baba(m): 10:48am On Dec 16, 2019
This one fg just dey ban things and close boarder make them no ban condom o

1 Like

Re: FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria by jacoik(m): 10:48am On Dec 16, 2019
Make una no ban cigarettes or my Jamaican weed ooo
Re: FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria by clarocuzioo(m): 10:49am On Dec 16, 2019
Hypocritical, nepotic , visionless and dumb government.

Advocating for made in Nigeria product and services while Buhari will run to London for ear problem, Zahara and his husband Indimi are holding their party in Mauritius.this government thinks every Nigerian is a zombie or an almajiri.

You want to close borders for goods produced in Nigeria. How have this government assisted made in Nigeria goods?

Dunlope, Michelin, Uniliver and other companies relocated to Ghana simply because of the harsh condition of doing business in Nigeria.

Lack of constant power supply , multiple taxation and government policies not favourable to manufacturers forced them to shut down in Nigeria and relocate.

On issue of border closure for rice, it has been stated by Buhari's own senator in the hallowed Chambers that there is movement of goods and services in the borders that is 14km away from Buhari's bedroom, while Seme and other southern borders remain shut. I pity the gullible yorunas still supporting this evil administration, if it's taking them this long to realise.

Buhari disbursed huge funds to his kinsmen in the name of rice farmers, and I ask which government does that.

What governments all over the world does is, buy machineries and other mechanized and improved farm tools, make it accessible for farmers mostly in the rural areas, provide improved seedlings and fertilizers at highly subsidized rates, liase with indigenes and encourage them to utilise lands for mechanized farming, that way within the shortest period of time, the results will be all over the nation.

But the hypocritical and confused government allowed herdsmen to even chase away people already farming from their farms, and now come back to expect food sufficieny, that is simply Buharinomics, same he also wants to do now.

Before you ban goods, what are the enabling environment you have created to boost local production of goods and services

RUBBISH.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria by EmmyOD(m): 10:49am On Dec 16, 2019
Buhari is a tyrant and a tribalist but I will not fail to appreciate him on this particular border policy. It's a welcome development to all of us.
But even at this, what am shouting for is that Buhari should allow rule of law to prevail in Nigeria and treat everyone equally despite your tribe.

2 Likes

Re: FG Mulls Banning Importation Of Commodities Produced In Nigeria by Mariangeles(f): 10:49am On Dec 16, 2019
Fasten your seatbelts people, it's about to get turbulent!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tinubu: APC PCC Defends Yahaya Bello’s Absence From Rallies / Court Sends Fubara’s Loyalists To Prison After Arraignment On Terrorism Charges / Edo 2024: PDP BoT member, Charles Idahosa Resigns From the Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.