Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,080 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:04 AM

You Will Decide Fate Of ‘Hate Speech Bill’ - Lawan Tells Nigerians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / You Will Decide Fate Of ‘Hate Speech Bill’ - Lawan Tells Nigerians (8720 Views)

Hate Speech Bill: Aliyu Abdullahi Says He Has Been Receiving Threats / Hate Speech Bill: Wole Soyinka Writes Nigerian Senate / Hate Speech Bill: Senate Urges Nigerians To Be Patient (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Will Decide Fate Of ‘Hate Speech Bill’ - Lawan Tells Nigerians by Islie: 8:18am On Dec 17, 2019
Senate President Ahmad Lawan has asked Nigerians to mobilise against the proposed hate speech bill if they do not want it.

Speaking at a media briefing in Abuja on Monday, the senate president said it is up to Nigerians to decide, at the public hearing, if the bill should be passed or not.

In November, Sabi Abdullahi senator representing Niger north, sponsored the bill, which has sparked widespread criticism across the country.

It proposed death by hanging for any person found guilty of any form of hate speech that results in the death of another person, the lawmaker later promised that the death sentence would be reviewed.

The bill also proposed that in the case of an offence committed by a body of persons where the body of persons is a corporate body, every director, trustee and officer of that body corporate shall also be deemed to be guilty of that offence.

It also recommended the establishment of a commission to be known as the Independent National Commission for the Prohibition of Hate Speeches.

However, Lawan said the bill is for every interested person and not for members of the national assembly alone.

“I answered something at the beginning about hate speech. Hate speech (bill) is one issue that has elicited so much reaction from Nigerians,” Lawan said.

“Personally, I’m happy that everybody is talking. It is not up to members of the national assembly alone to deal with the hate speech bill.

“Like I said at the beginning, it is for every interested person. If you say the hate speech bill should not pass, when they would conduct the public hearing, get as many people against the hate speech bill as possible to attend the public hearing and make their case.

“I am sure it is better for me stop talking about hate speech so that I don’t also engage in hate speech.”

https://www.thecable.ng/youll-decide-fate-of-hate-speech-bill-lawan-tells-nigerians

Re: You Will Decide Fate Of ‘Hate Speech Bill’ - Lawan Tells Nigerians by Wazobiamax22: 9:32am On Dec 17, 2019
Where is this springing from again

I thought you already decided not to pass the bill

Cancel it! Or better still retain the punishment for corrupt politicians!!!

26 Likes

Re: You Will Decide Fate Of ‘Hate Speech Bill’ - Lawan Tells Nigerians by Racoon(m): 10:38am On Dec 17, 2019
This is a valid pointer that Nigerians don't want any legislation that will take away the only source of freedom they have-their voice.For "the voice of the people is the voice of God."

2 Likes

Re: You Will Decide Fate Of ‘Hate Speech Bill’ - Lawan Tells Nigerians by fergie001: 10:42am On Dec 17, 2019
Oga Lawan, Nigerians know the IBB hoax came from someone you know so as to promote the need for the social media bill. Ironically, the Senators from IBB's home state are the sponsors of that bill.

Oga Lawan, you didn't call us to input in the $30bn loan request; one of your touts here even said we should slap our Senators.

Our voices yield nothing. We know you guys are planning something. Go on.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: You Will Decide Fate Of ‘Hate Speech Bill’ - Lawan Tells Nigerians by Subduer: 11:10am On Dec 17, 2019
Hate Speech Bill is good, to kill anyone that speak against APC, Buhari, or armed Fulanis. Why not?

1 Like

Re: You Will Decide Fate Of ‘Hate Speech Bill’ - Lawan Tells Nigerians by MANNABBQGRILLS: 11:11am On Dec 17, 2019
Our view about this hate speech issue from the average Nigerian view,
The poor masses view......
......any form of hate speech that results in the death of another person.

All lives matter, especially the poor that cannot defend themselves.
The downtrodden that have been silenced into defeat with lies and intimidation by their fellow human beings.
This will also curb some bloggers that have destroyed many lives and relationship with their fake lies.

Anyways @Topic,
In other words...........

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: You Will Decide Fate Of ‘Hate Speech Bill’ - Lawan Tells Nigerians by Ofemmanu1: 11:11am On Dec 17, 2019
Gen cow no fit take the insults from NL again.

The bill no go work.

Insult must follow bad governance.

3 Likes

Re: You Will Decide Fate Of ‘Hate Speech Bill’ - Lawan Tells Nigerians by generalwo(m): 11:11am On Dec 17, 2019
Re: You Will Decide Fate Of ‘Hate Speech Bill’ - Lawan Tells Nigerians by Roon9(m): 11:11am On Dec 17, 2019
Lol so this bill is still in motion?

2 Likes

Re: You Will Decide Fate Of ‘Hate Speech Bill’ - Lawan Tells Nigerians by mayskit4luv(m): 11:12am On Dec 17, 2019
Oga o
Re: You Will Decide Fate Of ‘Hate Speech Bill’ - Lawan Tells Nigerians by Etinosa1234: 11:12am On Dec 17, 2019
I just want to take advantage of this post to elaborate three points.

Thank yougrin

1 Like

Re: You Will Decide Fate Of ‘Hate Speech Bill’ - Lawan Tells Nigerians by Golden057(m): 11:12am On Dec 17, 2019
When will serious national issues be taken seriously by this current NASS If its something that will better the lives of Nigerians, I doubt if this man will keep repeating it.

8 Likes

Re: You Will Decide Fate Of ‘Hate Speech Bill’ - Lawan Tells Nigerians by shola07(f): 11:13am On Dec 17, 2019
Seriously
Re: You Will Decide Fate Of ‘Hate Speech Bill’ - Lawan Tells Nigerians by aminusodiq(m): 11:13am On Dec 17, 2019
B
Re: You Will Decide Fate Of ‘Hate Speech Bill’ - Lawan Tells Nigerians by oloriooko(m): 11:14am On Dec 17, 2019
It comes to hate speech, now the clueless NASS wants Nigerians to decide angry
He should convene a referendum to know if Nigerians want bubu to remain

8 Likes

Re: You Will Decide Fate Of ‘Hate Speech Bill’ - Lawan Tells Nigerians by OgbanjeProphet: 11:15am On Dec 17, 2019
Let me type and post one of my last 'Taaaaarrrrrr! Gbafuooo there!', before they pass their hate speech bill into law.

APC, Taaarrrr! Gbafuooo there!

PDP, Taaarrrr! Gbafuooo there!

APGA, TAAARRRR! GBAFUOOO THERE!

Federal government, Taaarrrr! Gbafuooo there!

The senate, Taaarrrr! Gbafuooo there!

DSS, Taaarrrr! Gbafuooo there!

EFCC, TAAARRRR! GBAFUOOO THERE!

ENEMIES OF NIGERIA, Taaarrrr! Gbafuooo there!

IPOB AND MEYEETYALLAH, TAAARRRR! GBAFUOOO
THERE!

THE MOD THAT BANNED ME LAST, TAAARRRR!
GBAFUOOOO
THERE!

THE MOD THAT WILL SOON BAN ME,TAAARRRR!
Gbafuooo gi there!

The bill should be passed into law as soon as possible, if it can stop me from typing and posting the above nonsense and the likes next time.

3 Likes

Re: You Will Decide Fate Of ‘Hate Speech Bill’ - Lawan Tells Nigerians by Wolexdey(m): 11:16am On Dec 17, 2019
We need Zero tolerance bill to looting. Punishment should be death by hanging...

I hope this bill will be considered and pass to law soon. Let the same Senator that raised the hate speech bill come up with this Zero tolerance bill for looting Sir.

If the Senate pass the hate speech bill to Law, then they should be prepared for a bill compulsorily on looting and the punishment will be death for corrupt practices....

I wish they can try it first. Just pass the hate speech bill to Law and the Eyes of the gullible shall be widely opened. The scale shall fall off beautifully, then we will know better what you Senators are doing in that Chamber

6 Likes

Re: You Will Decide Fate Of ‘Hate Speech Bill’ - Lawan Tells Nigerians by Nobody: 11:16am On Dec 17, 2019
Okay oh! Bring the National Assembly to our rooms.
Re: You Will Decide Fate Of ‘Hate Speech Bill’ - Lawan Tells Nigerians by aminusodiq(m): 11:16am On Dec 17, 2019
Bb
Re: You Will Decide Fate Of ‘Hate Speech Bill’ - Lawan Tells Nigerians by Nobody: 11:18am On Dec 17, 2019
I hate Buhari with Passion

1 Like

Re: You Will Decide Fate Of ‘Hate Speech Bill’ - Lawan Tells Nigerians by slimdamatrix1(m): 11:19am On Dec 17, 2019
This man is a joke!
Re: You Will Decide Fate Of ‘Hate Speech Bill’ - Lawan Tells Nigerians by gowonmaharajah(m): 11:23am On Dec 17, 2019
our puppet senate presido[b][/b]click like if u agree with me and click share if u think otherwise

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Will Decide Fate Of ‘Hate Speech Bill’ - Lawan Tells Nigerians by CasNova: 11:25am On Dec 17, 2019
As much as I believe there should be freedom of expression for the citizens, I also believe people should do so without vitriols.
Re: You Will Decide Fate Of ‘Hate Speech Bill’ - Lawan Tells Nigerians by Nobody: 11:32am On Dec 17, 2019
Wolexdey:
We need Zero tolerance bill to looting. Punishment should be death by hanging...

I hope this bill will be considered and pass to law soon. Let the same Senator that raised the hate speech bill come up with this Zero tolerance bill for looting Sir.

If the Senate pass the hate speech bill to Law, then they should be prepared for a bill compulsorily on looting and the punishment will be death for corrupt practices....

I wish they can try it first. Just pass the hate speech bill to Law and the Eyes of the gullible shall be widely opened. The scale shall fall off beautifully, then we will know better what you Senators are doing in that Chamber
You're absolutely correct

8 Likes

Re: You Will Decide Fate Of ‘Hate Speech Bill’ - Lawan Tells Nigerians by Sunnycliff(m): 11:32am On Dec 17, 2019
Rubber stamp SP, if Buhari insists on this, you will have no choice

2 Likes

Re: You Will Decide Fate Of ‘Hate Speech Bill’ - Lawan Tells Nigerians by Balogunodua(m): 11:33am On Dec 17, 2019
We need death penalty for corrupt politicians, if that can be done then i fully support hate bill.

6 Likes

Re: You Will Decide Fate Of ‘Hate Speech Bill’ - Lawan Tells Nigerians by Wolexdey(m): 11:38am On Dec 17, 2019
wink[b][/b][/color]
Hizzy:

[color=#990000]
Hizzy:

Hizzy:

Thanks

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kayode Fayemi Denies Selling State Lodge In Abuja / Okolie-Aboh Bags Chieftaincy Title: Don Okonkwo, Azubogu Celebrate Him / Teslim Folarin: Nigeria Needs True Federalism To Defeat Insecurity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.