Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,105 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:04 AM

5 Things You Didn't Know About Writing @21st Century - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 5 Things You Didn't Know About Writing @21st Century (1206 Views)

My Parents Didn't Name Me Chimamanda - Adichie / James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him / 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Things You Didn't Know About Writing @21st Century by damianchiemezie(m): 9:19am On Dec 17, 2019
5 things you didn’t know about WRITING @21st Century
--------------------------------------------

All over the world, people argue that writers are or esteemed as THE GREATEST because they produce knowledge; they create things from where they are not. Anyway, you can dispute that but I believe you know writers are small gods.
Because of this, you and I suddenly want to become writers. We want to be esteemed as the small gods. Since they say readers are leaders, you and I suddenly want to become writers to be the leader of the leaders.
Hey, there is nothing wrong with your ambition. But there are things you need to understand and consider; things no one has been willing to tell you.
They all have been persuading you to establish yourself as a writer online and make money.
They all have been telling you to write a book and become an authority.
They all have been convincing you that writing a book is a pathway to success.
They all have been telling you to learn how to write in 7 days and become a professional writer. (Oh my God. How is that possible?)
You swallow all of this and begin to force yourself to do it even when you know that deep inside you, this is not what you are supposed to be doing. Maybe you should be in one computer lab somewhere coding. Who knows?
Don’t get it twisted. There is no EITHER OR. Simultaneously,  you can be a writer and a programmer . There is nothing wrong with that and that is not what I am here for.
I am here to let you know these:

�WRITING IS NOT A GET-RICH-QUICK-SCHEME BUSINESS: To learn the skill of crafting words into paper---words that resonate with people—you must be willing to sacrifice various resources. It takes time. It takes years to establish yourself as a professional writer. So next time someone tells you: “Nnadi, become a writer and make six figures in three weeks” Your reply should be: “Sir/ Ma’am, are you okay?”.  PLEASE, If you want to go into any business, let no one deceive you with benefits. Dig deep into the roots yourself to know what you have to pass through to get the benefits. There are things to unravel, hence, don’t rush into anything because of sweet words or advert.
�WRITING IS FOR EVERYBODY:  Writing is a skill and you can learn it. People that tell you--you must have talent to be a good writer might not be totally wrong, but that belief is deceitful and dispiriting. Should I tell you?  WRITING is 2 percent inspiration (talent) and 98 percent perspiration (Hardwork). The really great writers you know today work harder than the rest---the seemingly talented ones. No wonder, Stephen King said: “While some writers wait for inspiration, we get to work.” Writing is work. Okay? Map a schedule and write consistently until you master it. Those who wait for inspiration---those who wait for the Muse almost always arrive late.
�YOU LEARN HOW TO WRITE: I once made an advert on How To publish your book in one forum— Nairaland— and someone from Lagos followed my CALL TO ACTION. He wanted to publish his play and I could see his zeal to make money from his craft. But guess what?  I was disappointed when I saw what he wanted to publish. To put it mildly, it was unpublishable, and I had to discard it. I advised he should learn HOW TO write, which he obliged. See, you don’t wake up and say you want to publish a book without proper guidance and scrutiny. Second, you need to learn How To write. Take classes on WRITING. Master your USE OF ENGLISH. Take classes on English Language and learn basic GRAMMAR or find a mentor to guide you. This thing is not a get-rich-quick-scheme business. Let that sink into your head.
�WRITING HAS TYPES: When you are determined to be a writer, ask yourself, ”What type of writing?” Writing types include but not limited to these: Copywriting, Contentwriting, Articlewriting and Storytelling. A professional at copywriting—salescopy, emailletters and newsletters-- might be rookie in novel writing. So you may want to know that writing is multi-faceted. Shey you get? Now, choose a path and a niche and never look back until you become a professional. If you want to master all the paths, it is still up to you. YOU just need to give it more time than required and read related books.
�WRITING REQUIRES COMPUTER SKILLS: Some people think this is unnecessary. Hey, abort that thought.This is the 21st Century you know about; and you have often heard: "Disrupt yourself or be disrupted" Skill up and learn. Gone are the days you just write in your pad and meet one publisher---who will then take care of the remaining work. Today, a wanna-be self-published author should get a basic training on COMPUTER. You need to learn how to type fast with your computer; you need to learn how to handle some writing websites and online publishing stores; you need to learn how to create accounts in various writing sites. For instance, you want to be a copywriter and you don’t know how to create an account on Upwork, Fiverr or Freelancer. Won’t it be tough for you? Must they do everything for you? Knowledge-up.!
�WRITING IS NOT FOR THE TIMID MINDS: Please, one important thing you should also know is this: Writing is for the brave-hearted. The low at heart can’t handle critics. Therefore, you should be prepared in mind and spirit to accept destructive criticisms with indifference. Not that you should ignore constructive criticisms. Listen to people who will tell you why your writing is amateurish and how to improve it and ignore people who condemn your work. See you as a published author in 2020.

I love you.

Damian Chiemezie

Writer/ Transformational Speaker

P.S. To master the skill of writing

To learn how to monetize your writing

To get your book published

To sell your books or writings to the right people and online stores

Contact sagespub@hotmail.com or

chat me privately on Whatsup:

https:///2348153680779

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Didn't Know About Writing @21st Century by 9jayes: 6:31am On Dec 28, 2019
Bring your fiverr and upwork funds of any amount from $1 to $2k

Re: 5 Things You Didn't Know About Writing @21st Century by Culin(f): 2:34pm On Jan 02, 2020
Thank you for this write-up.
Re: 5 Things You Didn't Know About Writing @21st Century by damianchiemezie(m): 8:32pm On Jan 02, 2020
Culin:
Thank you for this write-up.

You are welcome

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Didn't Know About Writing @21st Century by Dfrenzy(m): 5:08am On Jan 04, 2020
Thanks and God bless you Sir.
Re: 5 Things You Didn't Know About Writing @21st Century by Creeza(m): 11:39pm On Jan 04, 2020
okay. I enjoyed the stroll through the park and I noticed a handful of on-lookers and believe me they are peering above a neighbour's shoulder, or two, or three maybe, but they are scared of walking through the park because the ducks in the pool are watching, the sun is watching and even their fears are watching. Now that was one long sentence and so was my stroll, not alone, because I had my stick, my note and my ego.

The three musketeers and I made the fourth step out of the park even more glorious, as those eyes continue to peer over shoulders and shoulders, all in fear of what MAY OR MAY NOT.

Moral : Procastination never made a winner. Learn TO ENTER ACTION with BOLDNESS...
Re: 5 Things You Didn't Know About Writing @21st Century by damianchiemezie(m): 4:23pm On Jan 06, 2020
Dfrenzy:
Thanks and God bless you Sir.

You are welcome
Re: 5 Things You Didn't Know About Writing @21st Century by damianchiemezie(m): 7:22am On Jan 09, 2020
This is 2020. The year you have been waiting for. Get published now. You have little or no time.
Re: 5 Things You Didn't Know About Writing @21st Century by damianchiemezie(m): 9:45pm On Jan 11, 2020
Creeza:
okay. I enjoyed the stroll through the park and I noticed a handful of on-lookers and believe me they are peering above a neighbour's shoulder, or two, or three maybe, but they are scared of walking through the park because the ducks in the pool are watching, the sun is watching and even their fears are watching. Now that was one long sentence and so was my stroll, not alone, because I had my stick, my note and my ego.

The three musketeers and I made the fourth step out of the park even more glorious, as those eyes continue to peer over shoulders and shoulders, all in fear of what MAY OR MAY NOT.

Moral : Procastination never made a winner. Learn TO ENTER ACTION with BOLDNESS...

Yes. Boldness is needed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Didn't Know About Writing @21st Century by damianchiemezie(m): 6:07pm On Jan 14, 2020
9jayes:

Really?
Re: 5 Things You Didn't Know About Writing @21st Century by 9jayes: 11:29pm On Jan 14, 2020
damianchiemezie:

Really?

Yeah
Re: 5 Things You Didn't Know About Writing @21st Century by damianchiemezie(m): 9:57pm On Jan 21, 2020
9jayes:

Yeah

Ok

(1) (Reply)

Hannah And I / Questions? Poem By Segun Oseni / ALUU 4: Goodnight Pain. A Must Read.......

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.