Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,325 members, 7,836,391 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:56 AM

Read This Before You Choose That Skill - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Read This Before You Choose That Skill (253 Views)

Which One Will You Choose And Why? / Learn That Skill Today. / Before You Choose That Career. Lessons From Kyari's Ordeal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Read This Before You Choose That Skill by Oduok(m): 12:17pm On Dec 17, 2019
I must first of all make it clear that I am not happy with the idea of which graduate Engineers are asked to acquire skills. It is not a thing to celebrate. It is only a product of an underdeveloped society in which we have found ourselves as Nigerian Engineering graduates. An Engineering graduate should be talking about employment, graduate internship, and postgraduate specialization - in an ideal scenario. Skill is not Engineering.

Why then do I ask graduates to get trained? Why do I train graduates? The reasons are:

1. Our secondary schools did not equip us with the skills we needed to possess in the Basic Technology component of our formative education.
2. Skills will grant you access to the industry which you will now use the opportunity to stay relevant and aim toward your dream job.
3. Since our society is not developed, specialized Engineering concept will grant less benefit without the fundamental skills - except for those in lecturing.

That being said. Before choosing any skill make sure it aligns with your degree certificate for future career growth. I will use four examples to explain what I mean - painting, pipeline fitting, instrument mechanic, and welding.

1. Painting: Painting as a skill would be suitable for Chemical Engineering graduates. This skill will expose trainees to different types of paints - oil and water based, painting equipment such as brushes, rollers, compressors, and spray pots. The Engineering graduate will use this and have access to the industry - especially with firms handling corrosion control. From this exposure the graduate can now apply his education to formulate special paints like corrosion inhibitive paints, antifungal paints etc. He can also apply his knowledge to have practical exposure to process parameters like pressure used during the operations. He can look into quality analysis of paints. He can aim toward qualifying as a coating inspector. Following this, within few years in the field, the graduate that acquired this skill does not work as an ordinary painter but have his footing as an Engineer.

Stay tune for how pipeline fitting, instrument mechanic work, welding etc will be relevant to Mechanical, Civil, Electrical and Petroleum Engineering graduates. Available at www.odfidtechnicalworld..com

1 Like

Re: Read This Before You Choose That Skill by olujuwonj(m): 1:03pm On Dec 17, 2019
Do you need a geologist to carry out a hydro-geophysical survey for your borehole, solar borehole installation, geological survery or stratigraphic mapping... We are just a call away, we work nationwide.

https:///2348089626981

https://m.facebook.com/pg/erdeprobe/services/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=0

Tel: 08055855962

(1) (Reply)

- / Candel Company / HR Consultant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.