Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,159 members, 7,811,346 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:50 AM

Senate confirms AMCON, FIRS Board members - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate confirms AMCON, FIRS Board members (14808 Views)

President Buhari Swears-In 7 Board Members Of ICPC / PIA: DPR Scrapped As Senate Confirms NURC Board Members / NSITF: Buhari Appoints Board Members Of Nigeria Social Insurance Trust Fund (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate confirms AMCON, FIRS Board members by Kwanza: 5:27pm On Dec 18, 2019
The Senate Wednesday confirmed the appointment of Board chairmen and members of the Federal Inland Revenue Services (FIRS) and the Assets Management Company of Nigeria (AMCON).

Also, the Senate approved the budget of N11,594,920,847 for the National Communication Commission on the Universal Service Provisions Fund and N140.3 billion for the 2020 National Communication Commission.

The confirmation of the chairman and Board members of FIRS was sequel to the motion moved by the chairman of Senate committee on Finance, Solomon Adeolu Olamilekan who urged the Senate to receive and consider the report of the Senate committee on Banking, Insurance and Other Financial institutions.

The Senate approved Mohammad Mammam Nami as FIRS chairman with others as Board members.

Also, the Senate approved and confirmed Edward Lametek Adamu as the chairman of the Board of AMCON.

The motion for the confirmation was moved by Senator Sani Uba.

Meanwhile, Senate has endorsed the services of Ocean Marine Solutions limited (OSML) as a genuine and reliable private maritime logistics support company on the nation’s port, securing the safety of ships waiting to berth at the ports.

Senate endorsement of OSML operation followed adoption of all four recommendations by the joint Adhoc Senate committees on Marine Transport and Finance to investigate alleged fraud in the operation of OMSL on the nation water ways.

The committee recommended among others “that Ocean Marine solutions limited OMSL should be commended for its genuine national interest for investing over $400m in the security and secured Anchorage Area in particular, that the Nigerian water ways in general by providing the needed platforms and logistics for theNigerian Navy to effectively perform 2/47/365 patrol operations as well as to provide the required protection for vesels waiting to berth at the nation’s Port

“That since no fraud is found in the operations of the OMSL and its operates at no cost to the government, OMSL should be allowed to continue it’s operations at the Safe Anchorage until such a time when a better and more cost effective system is put in place by the government.

“That the Nigerian Navy should be properly funded to enable it provide needed vessels to enable its 150 vessels-deficit to enable them carry out their constitutional responsibilities without over depending on private maritime logistics support companies (PMSC).

President of the Senate, Ahmed Lawan, said Nigeria had no option but to stick to the deal that would continue to provide safety for ships berthing on Nigerians shores thereby guaranteeing the nation’s aspiration to sustained increased revenue.

According to Lawan: “I think we have a challenge here, which is, that, if we do not like what this company is doing we should bring our own. Until we are able to do that, I think we have to continue with the present arrangement.”

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2019/12/18/senate-confirms-amcon-firs-board-members/

1 Like

Re: Senate confirms AMCON, FIRS Board members by popsy2(m): 5:30pm On Dec 18, 2019
Expected.

I don't know who needs this but if you are In need of CAC company registration, Business Name registration, Trustees, NGO, NAFDAC number on your products etc, talk to us at www. Lawlab. Com. ng
The interesting part is that consultation is free of charge. Yes! Free of charge.
Re: Senate confirms AMCON, FIRS Board members by SimDan95(m): 5:43pm On Dec 18, 2019
Did u actually think they'd reject him?? come on they're actually called rubber stamp for a reason.

Hmm in olamide baddo's voice “north ti take over."

BMC's might actually tag me for hate speech you know they hate the truth like that carcass seller.

*spits*
*drops pen*

11 Likes

Re: Senate confirms AMCON, FIRS Board members by ursullalinda(f): 9:49pm On Dec 18, 2019
They had no choose.......this new Senate is do as I(Bubu) say
Re: Senate confirms AMCON, FIRS Board members by hisexcellency34: 9:50pm On Dec 18, 2019
Buharicracy = Government of the North, by the North and for the North

9 Likes

Re: Senate confirms AMCON, FIRS Board members by Enemyofpeace: 9:50pm On Dec 18, 2019
Rubber stamp Senate

1 Like

Re: Senate confirms AMCON, FIRS Board members by SpatialKing(m): 9:51pm On Dec 18, 2019
Ok
Re: Senate confirms AMCON, FIRS Board members by explosiveskull(m): 9:51pm On Dec 18, 2019
Nigeria which way?

3 Likes

Re: Senate confirms AMCON, FIRS Board members by YorubaKing: 9:52pm On Dec 18, 2019
grin
Re: Senate confirms AMCON, FIRS Board members by Nobody: 9:52pm On Dec 18, 2019
Rubber Stamp Senate.

anywhere belle face!

stamp and file Secretary.

1 Like

Re: Senate confirms AMCON, FIRS Board members by annford: 9:52pm On Dec 18, 2019
Jokers. AMCON is another Agency that needs to be scrutinized or even completely erased.

1 Like

Re: Senate confirms AMCON, FIRS Board members by explosiveskull(m): 9:53pm On Dec 18, 2019
ursullalinda:
They had no choose.......this new Senate is do as I(Bubu) say
Choice

4 Likes

Re: Senate confirms AMCON, FIRS Board members by Greatness28: 9:54pm On Dec 18, 2019
Congratulations... Well Done Rubber Stamp Senate

3 Likes

Re: Senate confirms AMCON, FIRS Board members by Stalwert: 9:54pm On Dec 18, 2019
annford:
Jokers. AMCON is another Agency that needs to be scrutinized or even completely erased.

Erase it so that all the debtors will escape repaying their loans? No find something else to say.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate confirms AMCON, FIRS Board members by Humphrizy(m): 9:55pm On Dec 18, 2019
Issoryt... Na anything Oga Buhari talk na e senate dey do.....No thorough examination concerning the appointees before Approval undecided

Kindly call or whatsapp 0"8"0"921"5"19"59 if you need Pure Original Unadulterated Honey.. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Senate confirms AMCON, FIRS Board members by Caleb17: 9:56pm On Dec 18, 2019
Rubber Stamp Legislature.
They had no option than to lick the shoes of Major General Muhammadu Buhari.

1 Like

Re: Senate confirms AMCON, FIRS Board members by Iris00: 9:56pm On Dec 18, 2019
Jokers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate confirms AMCON, FIRS Board members by realstars: 9:56pm On Dec 18, 2019
More looters signing in

1 Like

Re: Senate confirms AMCON, FIRS Board members by ursullalinda(f): 9:57pm On Dec 18, 2019
explosiveskull:

Choice

It's choose not choice.....
Re: Senate confirms AMCON, FIRS Board members by explosiveskull(m): 9:57pm On Dec 18, 2019
ursullalinda:

It's choose not choice.....teacher
K

1 Like

Re: Senate confirms AMCON, FIRS Board members by gozmok1(m): 9:59pm On Dec 18, 2019
Ever since this confused administration came in, it has been loan, loan tax and tax.
Firstly the heavy funds they borrowed in the first term, what did they do with it? There is total infrastructural decay all over the nation. Look at all the federal roads, they are in a mess.
They implemented TSA, telling us they are saving trillions of Naira everyday, they block the borders, customs said it generates over #80B daily ever since closesure of borders, they introduced duty stamp, introduced collection of #50 for every POS transaction, now increased Vat from 5 to 7.5%
Collection of #10k for every deposit or withdrawal above #500k, taxing everything taxable.
Increase petrol from #85 to #145, dollar move from #180 to #360 today.
Recovered billions from corrupt politicians and public office holders, even from Abacha loot.
Yet he has absolutely nothing to show for it.
No sensible society will continue like this because it is simply a highway to disaster.

6 Likes

Re: Senate confirms AMCON, FIRS Board members by gozmok1(m): 9:59pm On Dec 18, 2019
Southerners in Nigeria are the most COWARDLY bunch I’ve ever seen before. You have Northernisation and Fulanisation lessons in Nigeria’s history, yet it is a Southerner that will help pull down another Southerner.
Well done to Buhari, Kyari and your Fulanisation agenda. Teach southerners lesson as they need one. Put all your brothers into strategic and non-strategic positions in Nigeria. Teach southerners lessons for life, Bubu.

4 Likes

Re: Senate confirms AMCON, FIRS Board members by MANNABBQGRILLS: 10:00pm On Dec 18, 2019
Muiz Banire and Mr Fowler thank you so much for doing your part to move our nation forward in the guidance of our darling President

Sane Nigerians, learn from this message from Mr Muiz,
One of the best message we have read from a Nigerian politician.
Ignore the foolishness of wailers, that are crying more than the people that left after finishing their tenure, frustrated souls.

Here you have the beautifully written Thank you message..........

Yesterday on my Twitter handle, I announced that my response on the disengagement from Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON) shall be the subject of discussion in my column today. So, where we are! Tuesday, December 10, 2019, my tenure as the chairman of AMCON would seem to have expired upon the nomination of Mr. Edward Adamu as the new chairman of the bad loan vehicle. News about this development came to me while in London in the middle of a crash education programme.

The negatively interesting aspect of it is the lamentations that trailed the announcement by some friends and associates who, in my view, had a disconnect between purpose of service and the relief that naturally accompanies the disengagement of an appointee with an alternative contact address. Barely 24 hours before the presidential nomination of a new chairman for AMCON over which I presided, Mr. Tunde Fowler was replaced in his chairmanship of the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) office by another appointee of Mr. President. Interestingly, I was disturbed with complaints and murmurs by some people who read lots of insinuations into the development and were apparently in a mourning mood, as if disengagement from a political appointment was tantamount to bereavement.

My position on the Fowler issue was simply appreciation of his service and contributions to the nation. In my view, he cannot and must not have any regrets once he is convinced of having discharged his duty meritoriously. The grumbling from the supposed well-wishers underscores the problematic aspect of Nigerians as a people who see appointments into political offices as open sesame to riches and an opportunity for self-enrichment.

Whereas, in saner climes, political offices are seen as opportunities to serve humanity, to the glory of God, in Nigeria, it is seen as an opportunity for self-enrichment. It is only in Nigeria that friends and “well-wishers” roll out the drums, make uniforms (aso ebi) and rent newspaper pages congratulating a new appointee or a newly elected public servant on his “rare achievement.”

The purpose of this outlandish display of craziness is just to ingratiate themselves with the appointee for him to remember each and every one of them in his “father’s kingdom,” which they consider political appointments to represent.

Representatives from his village, religious congregation, in-laws and several newly self-discovered relatives would bombard his doorstep in celebration of his new status and achievement. No one thinks of challenges the appointee is likely to meet in office or whether he would succeed in his responsibilities or not. At times, such nominees do not even know how to navigate the new terrain.

From this unfortunate moment, demands would start piling up on his back; those whose children and wards have been sent away from school for failing to pay school fees would appoint him an emergency Rockefeller. Those who want to celebrate birthdays, those who want to pay hospital bills and so many more would turn his doorstep to a Father Christmas yard where goodies from public coffers are meant to be shared in unrestrained generousity. The tap of public resources in his care must flow like water from Niagara Falls without care for accountability or any sense of responsibility. Some believe that their search for job over the years has come to a terminal point with their relative having been appointed into a public office.

This belief does not realise that the office into which their kinsman is entering has its fair share of the national workforce, the burden of which probably has been openly calling for downsizing. This is why election or appointment into public office is seen as an opportunity to share the national cake. It is evident and incontestable that, for a people with this kind of mentality, termination of appointment, loss of political office or disengagement from public office in whatever manner is a terrible disaster worse than loss of a child. And that is why many go so fetish and inhuman as to engage in all manner of sacrifices and disorientating mortgage of their spiritual existence to the Devil.

Once an appointee is relieved of his appointment, mournful glares compete on burrowed foreheads, languid expressions of personal losses dominate discussions among beneficiaries or intended beneficiaries of loot from a public office recently lost. Lots of motives, from ethnicity to religion, to personal scores and political intrigues are adduced as reasons why the appointor must have terminated the appointment or disengaged the public office holder. In my situation, messages of consolation and clear condemnation oozed from some mouths the moment it was announced that a new nomination had been made.

It was a terrible distraction as I was struggling to imbibe as much as possible from the highly intellectually resourceful lecturer that was handling the on-going session. Calls came into my phone in torrents. Loads of messages poured into my phone with the constant flashes of light from the mobile gadget constituting a needless distraction until I had to switch it off. I contemplated what could be the problem with my people sympathizing disengagement from office as if it was a deprivation of valuables by armed robbers or loss of an edifice to a raging inferno. What mentality dictated the somber and lugubrious feelings being expressed by some friends save for a few others whose dignifying understanding of political appointment is superb enough to appreciate that it is merely an opportunity to serve and no more? That you were considered worthy to serve the public in an elective or appointive office is an opportunity to give your best to the community to the benefit of the living and in preparation of a decent living for the yet unborn generations. It must not be regarded as a kingship on which someone should expect life tenure. It is a temporary occupation of office that must terminate one day, either scheduled statutorily or otherwise. It is only when we realise this that the humanity in us shall radiate to the uplifting of our society.

It is at such point that our sense of uprightness can compete with that of people of other climes. This can only be guaranteed when politicians and political appointees prepare themselves for self-sustenance in and out of office with what I call an “alternative address.” The concept of alternative address is a legitimate business or vocation from which one can pay one’s bills conveniently without expecting loot from a public office. It is a platform, the proceeds from which can sustain you and your family needs whether you are in office or out of office. This has been my advocacy in the last decade and the earlier the voters appreciate this, the better for our nation.

In fact, as may be recalled, during the resistance to my nomination at inception, I clearly made this point that “I am not jobless and, therefore, not in search of any appointment.” I only owe the nation my service whenever called upon and I have the capacity to deliver.

Having alternative contact address is the only thing that will make you comfortable as not to pander to enticing suggestions of unscrupulous elements who would justify their greed with you-profit-from-where-you-serve mentality and disposition.

It is only this that can shield you from the rapacious tendency to dip fingers of larceny into the public cashbox. You must have an alternative address so that you do not join those you condemned before you had the opportunity to saunter into public office.

My days in AMCON as chairman were dominated by pressure I gladly entertained with all sense of responsibility in order to be able to serve my people. While it had its enticing pomp of “Mr. Chairman” appellation, it was a part-time service with only mandatory nine days of service in a whole year.

Muiz Banire SAN

dukeprince50:

There are two set of people on NL
Those that love Buhari genuinely like [/color] and those that hate Buhari genuinely like ZombieTerror, the truth is when you look at those who love Buhari, they sometime have reasonable comment which is not about politics and u will be glad to read.
But those who hate Buhari will find a way to attach Buhari name to every thread. Somehow I wonder why his haters are so passionate about the hate. The man is strong sha, if na me demands deh insult like this, I for don show them say I be commandant in chf of Armed forces.
I pray not to become a president if not, I fit just vex one day leave Aso rock, go somebody house just to beat the hell out of them. Becoming a leader is not easy.
Lol cheesy
Da Prince, take am easy o,
No beat people pikin as a President biko.
Ignoring those frustrated souls, kill them more.
Most of them have nothing going for them in life anymore,
Since the easy corrupt money they depended on stopped flowing, since EFCC are after the fraudsters, why won't they hate the President?
The good thing is that whether they like it or not,
God will always be with our darling daddy in all he does.
God bless you DukePrince50.
It will end in praise.

Orissodiq:
Some people are guilty of emotional problems and can never c anything good. We have people dat can even go up to extend of blaming BUHARI for dia infertility just because dey 8 dis man.just Ask them what will be dia solution to Nigeria problem if assume they are the president? U will c dem saying rubbish. They can't even be ordinary WhatsApp admin without setting the group on fire ... Everything they know is dubai have dis dubai have dat and dey didn't even have international passport. #KEYPAD WARRIORS TEAM..
Hmmmmm, your post is deep and thoughtful.
Only the wise can understand it.
You are a very wise man.
Me Sodiq,
Talking about the bolded part/question in your post, we asked a group of wailers the other day what they will do if they are the President, Guess the answer they gave us ??!!

They all chorused they will play [color=#990000]2 odds with the National Budget! cheesy
Warever dat means!

We just smiled, left their midst to concentrate on our Barbecue on the Grills jejely! wink

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Senate confirms AMCON, FIRS Board members by Conceptman: 10:01pm On Dec 18, 2019
All I see his Royal appointments everywhere, make una dey share am small small o. I hope the coming generation will meet something good

1 Like

Re: Senate confirms AMCON, FIRS Board members by nwamabo247(m): 10:02pm On Dec 18, 2019
so no excuse for buhari not work for he has all he want
Re: Senate confirms AMCON, FIRS Board members by fk001(m): 10:08pm On Dec 18, 2019
That's how it should be

The three arms of government should be working together not the other way round.
Re: Senate confirms AMCON, FIRS Board members by Gracejeri(f): 10:10pm On Dec 18, 2019
Pls he should report and commence work already for a better Nigeria
Re: Senate confirms AMCON, FIRS Board members by ursullalinda(f): 10:21pm On Dec 18, 2019
explosiveskull:

K

I'm sorry if I sounded harsh.....good evening

(1) (2) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS: Budget Now On The Budget Office Website / Uzodimma's Thugs Attacked And Invaded Ajaero's Community - NLC Alleges / Peter Obi Visits The Rehabilitation Center For Disabled Old And Tramp In Ozubulu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.