Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,929 members, 7,828,224 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:45 AM

Thousands Of ‘penis Fish’ Wash Onto California Beach - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Thousands Of ‘penis Fish’ Wash Onto California Beach (1712 Views)

Thousands Of Sea Creatures Washing Up In The North Of England ( Pics) / California: Hero Mom Punches, Fights Off Mountain Lion After It Attacked Her Son / Thousands Of Dead Fish In Rivers State Washed Up On Shoreline (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thousands Of ‘penis Fish’ Wash Onto California Beach by EX6100: 7:52pm On Dec 19, 2019
Thousands of “pulsing penis fish” have washed ashore on a California beach, as seen in jarring photos that are raising eyebrows due to the creature’s phallic shape.

The quirky marine life is officially called fat innkeeper worms (Urechis caupo), and an expert writes for Bay Nature that he believes a recent storm in the Drakes Beach area is the reason so many of them mysteriously appeared on the beach. Ivan Parr, a biologist from the Western Section of the Wildlife Society, spotted them Dec. 6 and explains that the 10-inch fat innkeeper worm typically lives underwater, burrowing in mud or sand, but the storm likely carried them ashore.

I’ve heard my share of imaginative theories from beachcombers, such as flotsam of a wrecked bratwurst freighter,” he writes. However, Parr explains that a sausage ship accident is not the cause of this scene. “We’re seeing the risk of building your home out of the sand,” he says. “Strong storms, especially during El Niño years, are perfectly capable of laying siege to the intertidal zone, breaking apart the sediments, and leaving their contents stranded onshore.” The spoonworm, which can live up to 25 years, feeds and swims using its “spatula-shaped proboscis.” It typically eats bacteria, plankton and other small particles, which it collects using “sticky mucus nets.”

Parr says he’s heard of sightings over the years in California at Pajaro Dunes, Moss Landing, Bodega Bay, and Princeton Harbor. The creature dates back 300 million years and also can be eaten. An anonymous colleague at The Post who has dined on a stir-fried fat innkeeper worm in Shanghai, China, describes the taste as “like a Livestrong band mated with a clam.” Source: New York Post

Re: Thousands Of ‘penis Fish’ Wash Onto California Beach by healthserve(m): 7:54pm On Dec 19, 2019
cheesy
Re: Thousands Of ‘penis Fish’ Wash Onto California Beach by Olatunji1929: 7:56pm On Dec 19, 2019
inside life

1 Like

Re: Thousands Of ‘penis Fish’ Wash Onto California Beach by fulaniHERDSman(m): 7:57pm On Dec 19, 2019
Enough dildoo
Re: Thousands Of ‘penis Fish’ Wash Onto California Beach by BlackfireX: 7:58pm On Dec 19, 2019
Wetin Atiku no go see for Cameroon.

grin

3 Likes

Re: Thousands Of ‘penis Fish’ Wash Onto California Beach by CharleyBright(m): 8:01pm On Dec 19, 2019
Abeg, Send them back if Puzsy Fish no follow them come.

2 Likes

Re: Thousands Of ‘penis Fish’ Wash Onto California Beach by Rotimi47: 8:08pm On Dec 19, 2019
BlackfireX:
Wetin Atiku no go see for Cameroon.

grin
I wonder O! grin
Re: Thousands Of ‘penis Fish’ Wash Onto California Beach by meeky007(m): 8:13pm On Dec 19, 2019
nothing new
creatures in the sea are 100times more than animals on land including human beings
Re: Thousands Of ‘penis Fish’ Wash Onto California Beach by Lynx001: 8:17pm On Dec 19, 2019
...if na naija my igbo brothers go packet am dey sell am.
chidex Love Machine. Promo price 250

3 Likes

Re: Thousands Of ‘penis Fish’ Wash Onto California Beach by czarina(f): 8:41pm On Dec 19, 2019
Lynx001:
...if na naija my igbo brothers go packet am dey sell am.
chidex Love Machine. Promo price 250
cheesy cheesy cheesy

What of "Ucheson"?
Re: Thousands Of ‘penis Fish’ Wash Onto California Beach by Jasseyfrd(m): 12:31am On Dec 20, 2019
CharleyBright:
Abeg, Send them back if Puzsy Fish no follow them come.

bahdoooooo
Re: Thousands Of ‘penis Fish’ Wash Onto California Beach by naijacentric(m): 3:05am On Dec 20, 2019
Which animal be diz one again this world is scary o
Re: Thousands Of ‘penis Fish’ Wash Onto California Beach by bmdmixer: 10:44am On Dec 22, 2019
something sounds fishy here
that one looks like its wearing condom

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/dec/12/penis-fish-fat-inkeeper-worms-california-beach

pictures there

ARE YOU AN ARTIST? CHECK MY SIGNATURE

(1) (Reply)

I Need Skysat Sk-201 Software / HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. / Einstein's Theories Of Relativity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.