Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,117 members, 7,821,832 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:44 PM

Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday (56879 Views)

Kwankwaso And Saraki Wish Peter Obi Happy Birthday / John Okafor Meets Atiku And Saraki (Photos) / Caption This Photo Of President Buhari And Saraki At The Democracy Day Lecture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by ijustdey: 9:11pm On Dec 19, 2019
By Wale Odunsi

President Muhammadu Buhari, on Thursday, shunned former President of the Senate, Bukola Saraki, on his 57th birthday.

Similarly, Saraki was silent as the nation’s leader clocked 77 years old earlier on Tuesday.

A reason for this might be ascribed to events and circumstances before and during Nigeria’s 2019 keenly-contested elections.

DAILY POST reports that the duo and the arms of government they led from 2015 till 2019 were mostly in the news for animosity.

It was an open secret that Buhari and the leadership of the All Progressives Congress (APC) wanted Ahmed Lawan and Femi Gbajabiamila (as against Saraki and Yakubu Dogara who eventually emerged) as Senate President and Speaker, House of Representatives, respectively.

As fate would have it, Lawan from Yobe and Gbaja, as fondly called, are occupying the exalted positions today.

In 2018, Saraki, despite surviving alleged attempts by the presidency to impeach him, greeted the president on his birthday.

He tweeted, “Happy Birthday to President Muhammadu Buhari and many happy returns”.

In 2017, Buhari felicitated with the former Kwara State Governor.

In a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, iBuhari commended Saraki for his commitment to peace of Nigeria.

He said “The President believes that at 55, and having served as a two-term governor, senator and Senate President, Dr Saraki has demonstrated commitment in the pursuit of a prosperous, united and peaceful Nigeria.

“President Buhari prays that God Almighty will grant him more years of good health, wisdom and fulfillment in the service of God and country,”

Despite efforts, the relationship between Buhari and Saraki, who narrated how he donated billions to the party’s 2015 campaign in states, totally crumbled six months to general elections.

It would be recalled that on July 19, 2018, Buhari held a closed door meeting with Saraki as head of aggrieved members APC members threatening to pull out.

The parley, at the instance of some APC Governors, followed Saraki’s meeting with PDP chieftains a day earlier in Ilorin.

In what rattled the ruling party, Saraki dumped the APC with 15 Senators. Most of them, including him, crossed to the People’s Democratic Party (PDP).

They were Dino Melaye, Kogi; Rabiu Kwankwaso, Kano, Lanre Tejuoso, Ogun; Shaaba Lafiagi, Kwara; Rafiu Ibrahim, Kwara; Barnabas Gemade, Benue; Abdulazeez Nyako, Adamawa.

Others were Monsurat Sunmonu, Oyo; Usman Nafada, Gombe; Suleiman Hunkuyi, Kaduna; Ibrahim Danbaba, Sokoto; Ubale Shittu, Jigawa, Isah Misau, Bauchi; Suleiman Nazif, Bauchi.

Additionally, former Speaker Dogara and a number House members defected.

At many instances afterwards, Saraki, who vied for the presidential ticket and later emerged as Campaign Director General to PDP and its presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, attacked the Buhari government.

Currently, the government appears to be fighting back. Sources confirmed to DAILY POST that the onslaught against the politics heavyweight is far from over.

In the last two months, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) got forfeiture orders on Saraki’s house in Ikoyi and Ilorin. They agency is targeting more.

Last year, Saraki and the federal government, through the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) had a prolonged battle over some of his assets

After his acquittal by the Supreme Court, President Buhari hailed Saraki’s resilience during the trial many critics said he must have endorsed.

He said: “I have seen many instances where individuals and groups seek the destruction of the judicial institution in the foolish thinking of saving their skin, instead of going through the painstaking process of establishing their innocence.

“In the case of the Senate President, Bukola Saraki, I have seen him take the tortuous path of using the judicial process. He persevered, and in the end, the highest court of the land, the Supreme Court, says he is not guilty as charged.

“This is what I have done in the three elections in which I was cheated out, before God made it possible for me to come here the fourth time I ran for the office.”

Buhari added that Saraki’s journey “from the lowest to the highest court of the land provides an important example for Nigerians to emulate.”

https://dailypost.ng/2019/12/19/election-face-off-lingers-as-buhari-saraki-shun-each-other-on-birthday/

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by imiski(m): 9:43pm On Dec 19, 2019
Saraki led senate was/is the best senate Nigeria has ever had. And that is what we need, whether you like it or not rubber stamp senate is againist democratic growth. FTC!!! I want to thank my parents for giving birth to me. And MTN data for their fast network. to my fans and haters I would advice you work hard so that one day you would get to the top like me.

287 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by adem30: 10:05pm On Dec 19, 2019
imiski:
Saraki led senate was/is the best senate Nigeria has ever had. And that is what we need, whether you like it or not rubber stamp senate is againist democratic growth.
It seems the word Rubber stamp is so new to the wailers and you guys keep masturbating on it.

No be only rubber stamped na super glued.

110 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by rottennaija(m): 10:07pm On Dec 19, 2019
imiski:
Saraki led senate was/is the best senate Nigeria has ever had. And that is what we need, whether you like it or not rubber stamp senate is againist democratic growth.

What made it the best?

54 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by Wazobiamax22: 10:07pm On Dec 19, 2019
saraki wasn't the only one. many leaders ignored him

Did you noticed

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by Wazobiamax22: 10:08pm On Dec 19, 2019
rottennaija:

What made it the best?
their stand was healthy for our democracy

I think this current senate have called for a public hearing something that Saraki single handedly rejected

Now watch how they will infiltrate that public hearing just to pass this bill

Are these current ones not there to represent our best interest but what going on now

when its time to pad money, will they invite the public

SMH

71 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by helinues: 10:22pm On Dec 19, 2019
What if they decided to make it private?

The fear of EFCC these days is the beginning of wisdom for our yam eaters

8 Likes

Re: Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by imiski(m): 10:52pm On Dec 19, 2019
rottennaija:

What made it the best?
For the fact that is was in opposition which is different from the usual Nigerian narrative of the executive having dictating for the national assembly. So it kept the executive on their toes.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by imiski(m): 10:58pm On Dec 19, 2019
adem30:

It seems the word Rubber stamp is so new to the wailers and you guys keep masturbating on it.

No be only rubber stamped na super glued.
. Read what you just typed and ask yourself: Does it make sense? No wonder PDP supporters call you zombie.

79 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by voltron14: 11:12pm On Dec 19, 2019
rottennaija:

What made it the best?

Because they had noise makers.

Ask them how the senate impacted their lives and they'll keep shut

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by voltron14: 11:14pm On Dec 19, 2019
Wazobiamax22:

their stand was healthy for our democracy

I think this current senate have called for a public hearing something that Saraki single handedly rejected

Now watch how they will infiltrate that public hearing just to pass this bill

Are these current ones not there to represent our best interest but what going on now

when its time to pad money, will they invite the public

SMH

Listen to yourself.

So making a public hearing is what makes the present senate, paid by the public, a bad group?

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by FreeSoworeNow: 11:30pm On Dec 19, 2019
[s]
voltron14:

Listen to yourself.

So making a public hearing is what makes the present senate, paid by the public, a bad group?
[/s]
bullcrap

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by FreeSoworeNow: 11:30pm On Dec 19, 2019
[s]
voltron14:

Because they had noise makers.

Ask them how the senate impacted their lives and they'll keep shut
[/s]
Rubbish

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by Aufbauh(m): 12:54am On Dec 20, 2019
He who laugh last, laugh the best.
I'd remember when Saraki was hailed to the high heaven and he was feeling like another god.
Just like angel Lucifer of old he was cast down from the corridor of power and great was his fall.

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by itsme01: 2:52am On Dec 20, 2019
cool

no bad blood, they might wish each others happy birthday privately

if na you forfeit VI mansion and that one in Ilorin GRA would you wish Buhari happy anything except RIP

5 Likes

Re: Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by Afolabimills(m): 3:39am On Dec 20, 2019
imiski:
still d very best any other that says otherwise or hit d share botton is a bigger idiot

3 Likes

Re: Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by Afolabimills(m): 3:41am On Dec 20, 2019
imiski:
. Read what you just typed and ask yourself: Does it make sense? No wonder PDP supporters call you zombie.
am no pdp supporter but d truth zombie na zombie

2 Likes

Re: Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by Captainrambo2: 3:50am On Dec 20, 2019
Will any sane person be hailing buhari ? Except his fellow northerners who bubu ep undecided

7 Likes

Re: Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by FreeSoworeNow: 4:40am On Dec 20, 2019
[s]
itsme01:
no bad blood, they might wish each others happy birthday privately
[/s]
Akanji my nigga cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by Bola146(f): 5:48am On Dec 20, 2019
Aproko no go kill you... mind ya business sad
Re: Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by Cajal(m): 5:58am On Dec 20, 2019
Saraki led senate was the most corrupt in the history of Nigeria
Delayed almost every things brought to them because of selfish ambition
God is good..
He was humiliated in kwara..
was v happy to be in Ilorin then

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by rottennaija(m): 6:24am On Dec 20, 2019
imiski:
For the fact that is was in opposition which is different from the usual Nigerian narrative of the executive having dictating for the national assembly. So it kept the executive on their toes.

They were a clog in the wheel of progress.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by Basic123: 7:07am On Dec 20, 2019
Aufbauh:
I'd remember when Saraki was hailed to the high heaven and he was feeling like another god.
Just like angel Lucifer of old he was cast down from the corridor of power and great was his fall.
especially by IPOB..

He overrated himself and IPOB/PDP overrated him!

I could remember when He said he would teach PDP how to defeat Tinubu in Lagos grin

He was also the only senate President that carries himself as if he is the president of the country.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by imiski(m): 7:21am On Dec 20, 2019
rottennaija:

They were a clog in the wheel of progress.
That is relative to whatever side your'e on. But what we need is less executive interference in the legislature.

5 Likes

Re: Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by zikter(m): 7:43am On Dec 20, 2019
imiski:
In as much as this is your opinion, I cannot agree to this submission. What impact did they have on the masses? what exactly did we gain as result of their squabbles and fights for personal egos and interests? As far as I know, that senate was full of noise makers and comedians led by the exotic cars senator Dino with no positive impact on Nigerians and our democracy.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by jahsharon: 7:43am On Dec 20, 2019
Aufbauh:

He lost all elective positions in his state. His stooge candidates lost the governorship, the three Senatorial seats, the six House of Reps seats and all the State House of Assembly seats. No politician dead or alive has ever lost like that from pre-independence to post independence Nigeria. But I think the Election Tribunal recently gave his party one Assembly seat.

He did not pick his battle wisely. A combination of Tinubu and Buhari will humiliate even Lucifer. My mum is from Kwara State, I go to different parts of Kwara regularly, so I have a fair understanding of the local politics there. Money plays a big rôle in Kwara politics and Tunubu has the money. Security, hooliganism and ballot snatching too play big role in Kwara politics and Buhari was there through security agencies to curtail Saraki's excesses. There is no way Saraki could survive the humiliation.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by WalkerMichael(m): 7:50am On Dec 20, 2019
I showed this post to my dog, he is now a Lion!!!
Thanks so much

1 Like

Re: Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by desmond2pk: 7:51am On Dec 20, 2019
Saraki, those who brought buhari to power in order to undo Jonathan. At the end?

3 Likes

Re: Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by BareFacedLies(m): 7:51am On Dec 20, 2019
Saraki has lost relevance in Nigeria's political terrain!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by Mubbyleey(m): 7:52am On Dec 20, 2019
Who else noticed this: All the corruption allegations against him has died down. No more going to court for Saraki cos they've won the battle...

He actually asked for a battle he can't win, that was foolishness on his part that drown him.
I'm sure he has learnt his life lessons in a hard way. If he's strong mentality and emotionally, he'll come back stronger. But i doubt it undecided

4 Likes

Re: Buhari And Saraki Shun Each Other On Birthday by Homers123(m): 7:52am On Dec 20, 2019
They don't owe themselves any obligations, so ko si big deal.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Amaechi & Wike Unite At A Town Hall Meeting In Rivers (Photos) / President Bush, Obasanjo, Soludo, Stella In A Throwback Picture / Saraki Has This To Say About Akpabio's Defection To APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.