Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,630 members, 7,809,348 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:08 AM

Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities (14942 Views)

IPPIS: Why Some Lecturers Are Getting N6000 Salary – Accountant General / IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba / Don’t Reopen Schools Now - Biodun Ogunyemi, ASUU President Urges FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by valentineuwakwe(m): 7:12am On Dec 23, 2019
The National President, Academic Staff Union of Universities, Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi , has decried the recruitment system in the universities, regretting that many people not qualified to teach had found their way into the system.
Ogunyemi , who made this known when he appeared on the News Agency of Nigeri a Forum in Abuja on Sunday, added that it was not a crime for lecturers to teach in two different universities .

He said , “ Some lecturers have no business in the classrooms, but they found their way in due to political interference . You find that some lecturers probably have no business being in the universities but you know politics has done so much damage to us that sometimes merit is sacrificed on the altar of mediocrity and political connections .

“ We hope that we shall restore the credibility of the system as we have been trying to argue over the years. A key step to achieving that is for government to create the enabling environment for us to go back to the renegotiation table .”

Ogunyemi noted that such recruitment had done a lot of damage to the university system as not all people in the class were able to teach.

“ Teaching is all about passion and not about preference of any sort . It is something natural, ” he said .

On why students do not have access to current publications by lecturers , Ogunyemi said facilities for conducting cutting edge research were in a shambles.

He , however, said that lecturers were doing their best.

“ Concerning the publications , Nigerian academics are still doing their best within the limit of their environment . The student population is equally a distraction from research and, without research, you cannot publish.

“ Talking about research, one must have access to current materials which is becoming increasingly difficult because our libraries are no longer stocked as regularly as it used to happen in the past.

“ The laboratories are bereft of chemicals and reagents. Modern facilities for conducting cutting edge research are hardly there.

“ So, when you talk of publications , our colleagues are still publishing, but, may be , you do not see as many books as we used to have in the past, ’’ he said .

He said that ASUU would continue to advocate for restoration, resuscitation and repositioning of the university system in order to reclaim its enviable position .
Ogunyemi also blamed the poor attention students get from lecturers to the poor learning environment across universities and increasing students’ population .

The ASUU president said that teaching in two universities would only add to the system as it would afford the opportunity for lecturers to borrow and learn ideas from each other.

“ The university system allows for what we call sabbatical . It is part of university tradition and practices all over the world .

“ The purpose that it serves is that you create window for peer review. In other words, what you are doing in university A, you go to university B and see whether that is what obtains exactly , or you need to borrow something , or you share some ideas.

“ Sabbatical is a mechanism for assuring comparability of standards. Anybody that goes out for sabbaticals , when he or she comes back to the university , he adds value to the system .”

On how to tackle cases of intimidation and harassment of students in tertiary institutions by lecturers , Ogunyemi , who described the trend as “ sad, ” said ASUU had set up an ethics committee in every university to ensure that its members did not go out of their bounds.

He advised students to report cases of intimidation and harassment at the ASUU secretariat on the campuses .

On the controversial Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System , Ogunyemi pledged the readiness of ASUU to fully support any step that would eradicate corrupt practices from the university system .

Ogunyemi told NAN editors that the union had developed a prototype of the IPPIS , called University Transparency and Accountability Solution, which it urged the government to implement rather than the IPPIS .

Ogunyemi also debunked the insinuation in some quarters that the union had a splinter group .
source: https://punchng.com/some-lecturers-not-qualified-to-be-in-varsities-ASUU/

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by HappyCanadian: 7:24am On Dec 23, 2019
Haha! I laugh in Swahili, I nearly died in laughter seeing the God's must be crazy Chief Justice and how about a whole country with brains being ruled by an illiterate president, Oga please go and rest angry

13 Likes

Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by 1kworks: 7:24am On Dec 23, 2019
grin
Shay they were empleyed by ghosts ni

1 Like

Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by AbdulHakeem44(m): 7:25am On Dec 23, 2019
Every school has that lecturer where student themselves know that this lecturer doesn't know what he is teaching or lecturing. He is just forcing his way through.

I remember when I was in 300l in unilorin, one of my classmates asked a question in the class, the lecturer didn't know it, so he asked whoever knows it among us to come out to solve it, the scholars amongst us began to reach out for the marker to try their luck, we couldn't reach a conclusion. The next two classes was dedicated to solving that problem, we couldn't, Mr lecturer just jumped onto the next topic.

That same lecturer did similar thing during my Master's degree in the same school few years ago.

Some lecturers are worse than that!!!

Then you begin to wonder why problem solvers are not being pulled out of our universities rather book crammers and degree pursuant.

23 Likes

Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by Humphrizy(m): 7:25am On Dec 23, 2019
No be lie sha...na to dey copy and paste online textbooks and sell them as handouts wey dem sabi undecided

Also some Politicians are not supposed to be voted into power cos they do misuse the power given to them undecided

Kindly call or whatsapp 0"8"0"921"5195"9 if you need Natural Original Pure Honey.....thank You

10 Likes

Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by qanda: 7:25am On Dec 23, 2019
Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by Ashawopapa001: 7:26am On Dec 23, 2019
Na by man know man a.k.a Connect
Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by atiku4President(m): 7:26am On Dec 23, 2019
True talk. But what is ASUU doing about it?
Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by hisgrace090: 7:27am On Dec 23, 2019
This is the area you guys hhould be looking into not dodging ipps programme.

1 Like

Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by BUSHHUNTER: 7:28am On Dec 23, 2019
Illiterate as president

corrupt and wicked politicians

unprofessional and randy lecturers

crazy and bloodthirsty Policemen

to mention few.....

Back then in my University days, I knew a man who taught us with 1951 wretched notebook

The man has been lecturing for two decades but still read out word for word from his fuvked note!

21 Likes

Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by Ogunkillbuhari: 7:28am On Dec 23, 2019
Take or leave it, this a bitter truth especially in many states universities as majority of the lectures are dunce and daft. They have no idea of what teaching is.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by Lumig: 7:29am On Dec 23, 2019
Oga Biodun, be careful of the stones you are throwing, it may backfire

2 Likes

Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by Manson1(m): 7:29am On Dec 23, 2019
Dats very correct
Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by rentAcock(m): 7:29am On Dec 23, 2019
Many lecturers became lecturers because they couldn't become doctors, engineers, pharmacists etc. They are not only unqualified to teach, they are also frustrated, hence the reason they fail students. We need a total overhaul of out educational system.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by 9jamag(m): 7:29am On Dec 23, 2019
So this is what you have to say after they made you the chairman??
Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by Endtimebro: 7:29am On Dec 23, 2019
The claim that unqualified persons lecturing is a known but rather unfortunate truth.
Last month I was at the Commonwealth Scholarship screening at Abuja. I got talking with a graduate frome one of the Fed. Uni. Tech. He was amongst the best in his class and the entire school that VC had handshake with him during convocation.
He was telling me bitterly how a coursemate of his with 2:2 was giving appointment because her father-in-law was former VC. While he and other first class products were not considered. He summoned courage and met the VC. If I tell you what the VC told him. U will be shocked.
So many first class are out there without jobs while you find some so called lecturers who can't even express themselves.

No wonder the number of Nigerian applicants for international scholarships kept increasing. These are brains that will be appreciated out there.

9 Likes

Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by drips8(m): 7:30am On Dec 23, 2019
Connections will always supersede qualifications in this country.

2 Likes

Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by CzarChris(m): 7:31am On Dec 23, 2019
It's not not easy working in an environment like Nigeria. It's disheartening teaching in an environment like ours, if your colleagues see you are really good at what you do, the backstabbing starts and they try to steal you innovations if they can't, they try to discredit your work. I have been opportuned to teach international students, my brother the difference is clear.

But the FG should bear this in mind, if this ippis thing goes wrong, believe me there will be massive brain drain next year.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by vickydankal(f): 7:32am On Dec 23, 2019
Nawa oooo
Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by klax(m): 7:32am On Dec 23, 2019
valentineuwakwe:

source: https://punchng.com/some-lecturers-not-qualified-to-be-in-varsities-ASUU/

Yes you are correct infact there must be serious shake off in all Nigeria Uni many of the lecturers are unqualified, useless and irresponsible.

I still have serious issue with one recently as per one of my cousin and they have suspended him already and I will make sure he never return to any Uni in this country. I have promised him he will ends up as village farmer.

3 Likes

Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by Dididrumz(m): 7:32am On Dec 23, 2019
Ok
Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by Nobody: 7:32am On Dec 23, 2019
OK oooooo

You can now learn a skills or trade at the comfort of your home, this is strictly for serious minded people
You can learn this training -:

1) Solar/inverter installation/maintenance
2) Laptop repair and maintenance
3) Mobile phone repair and maintenance
4) Satellite TV installation
And many other.we are going to be updating the website with different training program,get train today and start your own I.T company

1 Like

Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by yorke1: 7:33am On Dec 23, 2019
No be lie. Its not the era of name calling, I would have called names.
Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by FVckmannabbQ: 7:33am On Dec 23, 2019
SURE

DEM FULL KOGI STATE UNIVERSITY.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by Jokerman(m): 7:34am On Dec 23, 2019
Not only in education

Engineering
Medical
Law

Too many quacks everywhere

1 Like

Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by onunwa21(m): 7:35am On Dec 23, 2019
They should join us at spare parts market!!
Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by Oduok(m): 7:36am On Dec 23, 2019
ASUU National President, is that why your kids study abroad?
Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by englishmart(m): 7:38am On Dec 23, 2019
That's because some graduates are not qualified to be graduated

7 Likes

Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by Acecube(m): 7:40am On Dec 23, 2019
Oduok:
NUC National President, is that why your kids study abroad?
it's ASUU not NUC bro
Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by Nobody: 7:40am On Dec 23, 2019
cool

What do u expect?
Even Buhari is not academically qualified to be president.
Tanko is also not qualified to be CJN

Unqualified lecturers full north.
It will take d grace of God to understand an English a northern lecturer is speaking.
Apart from Unijos nd ABU other northern uni lecturers at not even qualified to teach in southern primary schools

6 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"Give the Polytechnics a Chance", says UNILAG Professor / My 2015/2016 WAEC Experience /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.