Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,512 members, 7,819,853 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:24 AM

Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities (14964 Views)

IPPIS: Why Some Lecturers Are Getting N6000 Salary – Accountant General / IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba / Don’t Reopen Schools Now - Biodun Ogunyemi, ASUU President Urges FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by Nobody: 10:30am On Dec 24, 2019
AlphaStorm:

That is why they are called Lecturers and NOT Teachers. One of the problems we have is faulty O'level. The University is for research and NOT Teaching like u have it in secondary schools.

Not what I meant.
Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by AlphaStorm: 4:56pm On Dec 24, 2019
benji93:
Nope, some form of teaching should be present at the university level too. The university is not just for research. Where are you getting that from? You need to be taught, then you can have enough knowledge to know where to look and what to look for.

Everything needed to be intellectually independent is taught in secondary schools. Do NOT expect to be taught like a secondary schl student.
Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by benji93: 5:39pm On Dec 24, 2019
Everything? Are you kidding me. That sub-par education we get in Nigeria? I am not talking about students who attended fancy private secondary schools. Even for this, the height of intellectual independence is after a bachelor's education. You may even need a master's for intellectual independence in the research world.
AlphaStorm:

Everything needed to be intellectually independent is taught in secondary schools. Do NOT expect to be taught like a secondary schl student.
Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by muslaty2k(m): 5:55pm On Dec 24, 2019
Are you still looking for Admission to study at a Nigeria University, Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin, one of the foremost private universities licensed by the Federal Government welcome applications to about 60 accredited courses by NUC. Please visit www.alhikmah.edu.ng

Tuition fee waiver or subsidized fee exists for the following courses
B.Sc. Physics
B.Sc. Physics with Electronics
B.Sc. Mathematics
B.Sc. Industrial Mathematics
B.Sc. Statistics
B.Sc. Petroleum Chemistry
B.Sc. Industrial Chemistry
B.A. English
Education Courses
The offer is for Admission from UTME, DE, and INTER-UNIVERSITY TRANSFER Applicants.
For more information on the Tuition waiver or Subsidized fee. Please call 08058352656.

Or Admission officer - 07032754666

Attention: visit www.alhikmah.edu.ng for your course requirement before application.
Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by AlphaStorm: 11:47pm On Dec 24, 2019
benji93:
Everything? Are you kidding me. That sub-par education we get in Nigeria? I am not talking about students who attended fancy private secondary schools. Even for this, the height of intellectual independence is after a bachelor's education. You may even need a master's for intellectual independence in the research world.

U just pointed to a very important part in the education sector....secondary schools. How do u expect a student who has faulty O'level to understand and cope with university work

Have u met a man/woman without a Bachelors who schooled in the 60s,70s,80s and early 90s....?? U'd be amazed how well they speak or write.
Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by benji93: 12:18am On Dec 25, 2019
We are not talking about the 60s 70s, and 80s. If you are basing your argument on the status quo in that era, then I am afraid your argument is dead on arrival. The pedagogy of the secondary education students get today is generally outdated or not well tailored to current needs. It will interest you to know that many Nigerian universities were considered the best then. If you check the profile of Nigerian-trained successful professionals making waves in foreign countries, most of them studied degrees in the 80s. So yes our education was good back then, but not anymore.
AlphaStorm:

U just pointed to a very important part in the education sector....secondary schools. How do u expect a student who has faulty O'level to understand and cope with university work

Have u met a man/woman without a Bachelors who schooled in the 60s,70s,80s and early 90s....?? U'd be amazed how well they speak or write.
Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by AlphaStorm: 1:18am On Dec 25, 2019
benji93:
We are not talking about the 60s 70s, and 80s. If you are basing your argument on the status quo in that era, then I am afraid your argument is dead on arrival. The pedagogy of the secondary education students get today is generally outdated or not well tailored to current needs. It will interest you to know that many Nigerian universities were considered the best then. If you check the profile of Nigerian-trained successful professionals making waves in foreign countries, most of them studied degrees in the 80s. So yes our education was good back then, but not anymore.

U've misconstrued what am trying to explain , we cant keep putting blames on lecturers in Universities whilst turning a blind eye to the secondary schools. U can imagine a lecturer teaching O'level physics all over again simply because the students are NOT well grounded in it. If he assumes they have previous knowledge and decides to take university physics directly, they would say he's frustrating them.
How d fvck did they pass O'level physics to begin with
Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by benji93: 2:43am On Dec 25, 2019
True. I didn't miscontrue your point. As much I agree with the argument that the decay reaches secondary school level, i still maintain that you can always trace a significant part of the problem back to the lecturers one way or another. I mean the teacher that taught the students O'level physics was taught by a lecturer too. I am not saying the lecturers were the original source of the problem, rather my argument is they are a significant part of the problem. Majority of them are academically inadequate. It's the fact, although you can't blame the lecturers for their inadequacy, after all they are a product of the student-teacher cycle. Another thing is that trying to solve only one of the major problems may not solve the low quality of education. We may have to adopt a more holistic approach. For example we could try to phase in better qualified lecturers-phd holders with some post-doctoral experience- and at the same time update curricula to reflect modern standards. So we can lay part of the blame of the low quality of education on the inadequacies of our professors, but that's not the only thing.
AlphaStorm:

U've misconstrued what am trying to explain , we cant keep putting blames on lecturers in Universities whilst turning a blind eye to the secondary schools. U can imagine a lecturer teaching O'level physics all over again simply because the students are NOT well grounded in it. If he assumes they have previous knowledge and decides to take university physics directly, they would say he's frustrating them.
How d fvck did they pass O'level physics to begin with
Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by AlphaStorm: 10:29am On Dec 25, 2019
benji93:
True. I didn't miscontrue your point. As much I agree with the argument that the decay reaches secondary school level, i still maintain that you can always trace a significant part of the problem back to the lecturers one way or another. I mean the teacher that taught the students O'level physics was taught by a lecturer too. I am not saying the lecturers were the original source of the problem, rather my argument is they are a significant part of the problem. Majority of them are academically inadequate. It's the fact, although you can't blame the lecturers for their inadequacy, after all they are a product of the student-teacher cycle. Another thing is that trying to solve only one of the major problems may not solve the low quality of education. We may have to adopt a more holistic approach. For example we could try to phase in better qualified lecturers-phd holders with some post-doctoral experience- and at the same time update curricula to reflect modern standards. So we can lay part of the blame of the low quality of education on the inadequacies of our professors, but that's not the only thing.

If u have HR experience/knowledge , u'd know that timely payment of remunerations and other bonuses can affect work output in any organization. Just look at the condition of secondary school teachers all over the country (apart from lagos of course), some have not been paid for over 3months. How do u expect them to function optimally

Many of the teachers are very good but cannot deliver at optimal level cos they are not being rewarded properly. Look, quality of education is affected by so many things. Not just the Universites. I have seen good lecturers who dont have a first class or a 2.1 but can deliver and are very skillful.
Re: Biodun Ogunyemi: Some Lecturers Not Qualified To Be In Varsities by benji93: 2:18pm On Dec 25, 2019
Remuneration is another thing, and it is coming in the way of a proper assessment of teachers and lecturers, I must admit. I am a physics guy, and i believe a generally effective way of measuring the aptitude of a professor/researcher is by checking their list of publications and quality. Many professors are not producing quality research. You may want to put this down to remuneration too, but it doesn't change the fact that they are not quite productive. However after thinking about this more deeply, I consider the remuneration a significant factor, something we must solve to be able to properly assess the adequacy of our lecturers. So perhaps we pay the professors their entitlements, watch of their productivity changes and then change the system of recruitment to a contractual one that lasts over a period. Then terminate the contracts of professors with low productivity. All in all, we do have a deeper problem. Bad governance. The original discussion was about the quality of delivery by professors. And you argued that we can't blame the lecturers. But i say, yes we can until proven otherwise. The low quality of delivery by professors is clear. As to whether this is mostly because of Remuneration, I don't believe that. I believe many of them are actually not good enough. My reason for this assertion is because many of them are a product of the low quality of tertiary education. A lion beget a lion.
Meanwhile since we have been exchanging messages for a while now, I say merry Christmas to you and your family.
AlphaStorm:

If u have HR experience/knowledge , u'd know that timely payment of remunerations and other bonuses can affect work output in any organization. Just look at the condition of secondary school teachers all over the country (apart from lagos of course), some have not been paid for over 3months. How do u expect them to function optimally

Many of the teachers are very good but cannot deliver at optimal level cos they are not being rewarded properly. Look, quality of education is affected by so many things. Not just the Universites. I have seen good lecturers who dont have a first class or a 2.1 but can deliver and are very skillful.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Covenant University Plans To Reduce School Fees....punch Newspaper / Senate Suspends JAMB 3-Year Validity Plan / JAMB 2017 UTME 16th May - Live Update

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.