Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,522 members, 7,816,277 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:40 AM

Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash (26692 Views)

Chevron Announces Q4 Loss Of $665M; Annual Capital Spending Down 35% / States APC May Lose In 2019 - Daily Trust / Defections :saraki, Akpabio, Tambuwal Others May Lose Seats (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by themosthigh: 4:41pm On Dec 23, 2019
Loo
Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by ednut1(m): 4:41pm On Dec 23, 2019
GreetMe:

Why don't we look for other sources of generating power, we go die because of hydropower?
Omihanifa:

Bro hydro is not the only source of electricity we have in Nigeria. What happens to coal that we have in enugu and Kogi? What of gas in all the south south states? Or solar power and wind power which can be harnessed in the north

What Nigeria needs is energy mix and not this over dependence on hydro which is overrated in my own opinion.
this is nigeria and we are a shithole. Expect less

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by Christian11qi: 4:43pm On Dec 23, 2019
Very legit

Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by Nobody: 4:45pm On Dec 23, 2019
Blue3k:

Im ignorant on that information. I know Niger Republic is build hydro dam on River Niger.

The reporter is rather slow. He doesn't even know a single thing so he should have cross-checked before posting a damned thing about the dam.

It's a multipurpose dam and it's being built within Nigerien territory. It has an installed capacity of 130MWs(megawatts).

So, where did Fouta Jallon(or "Fonta Djullion" as they put it) in the Republic of Guinea come into the picture? The reporter clearly needs a crash course in basic Geography.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by SocialJustice: 4:46pm On Dec 23, 2019
mansakhalifa:

But I would like to know where 'Fouta Djullion" is. Is that like another spelling or name for Fouta Djallon in the Republic Guinea?

Cos I am utterly confused here.

2 could exist in the different countries. Ask Google.
Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by CSTR2: 4:46pm On Dec 23, 2019
B

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by mechanics(m): 4:50pm On Dec 23, 2019
The ones we are exporting out, is it part of the 5000mw of electricity we are generating, am not understanding o.
Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by Nobody: 4:51pm On Dec 23, 2019
SocialJustice:
2 could exist in the different countries. Ask Google.

You are the one who needs to ask Google because Geography is one of my strong points.

In all your years of studying Geography, have you ever heard of "Fouta Djullion" in Niger Fouta Djallon highlands are in faraway Republic of Guinea and there is no way the Republic of Niger can go all the way to on their own dam the Niger at Fouta Djallon in Guinea simply because they want to build a dam that's going to serve only them. Or does that make sense to you? Think about it.

I know about the dam in question and it's wholly within Nigerien territory. Somewhere to the West of Niger.
Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by GENEGIRIA: 4:55pm On Dec 23, 2019
I beg leave Ghana out if this crap. We are not interested in being any giant of Africa. Our focus is improving the lives of Ghanaians, not some stupid titles.

MZrapper:
Nigeria giving out what themselves can't enjoy.

Ghana is the giant of Africa.

I swear down.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by CSTR2: 4:55pm On Dec 23, 2019
Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by webngnews: 4:57pm On Dec 23, 2019
Oh
Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by netflicks(m): 5:01pm On Dec 23, 2019
So we have been giving what we dont have angry
Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by femu(m): 5:03pm On Dec 23, 2019
CSTR2:
I can't over-emphasize this.

Nigeria must not allow Niger republic to dam the River Niger at all cost.
At all costs.

This is an issue of critical National security and welfare.
It is enough reason to go to war for.
That is how critical it is.

Unfortunately, we cannot trust our president's loyalties.

After closing the border against francophone countries?
Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by Blue3k(m): 5:04pm On Dec 23, 2019
CSTR2:
If buhari allows Niger to dam that river under his watch, then he should be arrested for treason.
He is originally from Niger republic.

Egypt and Ethiopia are about to go to war over the Nile.

There is no way you can tell me that Nigeria cannot stop a shitt hole from damming an essential river in a subregion where we contribute over 70%.

This is where you need a general buhari. Not by insulting the United States.

Lol Nigeria not going to do thing to stop them. They're already working on it. If represents an existential threat to Nigeria if they restrict vital water resources to sustain population. If it did war would be inevitable.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by NewsMuncher: 5:07pm On Dec 23, 2019
dre11:

https://thenationonlineng.net/nigeria-may-lose-niger-republics-665m-yearly-energy-cash/
He said: “If Nigeria allows Niger Republic to dam River Niger at Fouta Djullion for her own electricity needs, the country would not be able to export electricity to Niger Republic and that would go a long way to reduce Nigeria’s earnings.”

Is Fouta Djallon in Niger republic?? cheesy talk talk
Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by naijaschoolguru(m): 5:11pm On Dec 23, 2019
DonFreshmoney:
So you mean Naija gains 770milluon dollars from exporting light to Niger only.. and we still borrow money and take loans.

Do you know what is $770million
Did you know the amount our leaders steal
Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by GENEGIRIA: 5:11pm On Dec 23, 2019
Let me educate you. Nigeria is contracted to supply 120 million scf of gas daily to Ghana under the west Africa gas project. Supply is very erratic. Most times, Nigeria supplies about 60 million scf per day, which is half of what it is contracted to supply to Ghana. The beautiful thing is that Ghana is getting more than 400 million scf gas daily from its own oil and gas fields. If today nigeria decides to stop supplying gas to Ghana, Ghana won’t even feel it because Ghana is getting enough gas from its own fields.

On top of that, some private investors have built a gas Re gasification facility at Tema, which will allow Ghana to import LNG if it needs more gas. So it is completely false to suggest gas from Nigeria is what keeps the lights on in Ghana. This is a deliberate attempt to mislead people and you should therefore withdraw what you said. Ghana’s electricity is NOT powered by Nigeria’s gas.

eduman365:
Should we be giving out what we don't have enough in the first place?

It might interest you to know that Nigeria has been the one shouldering the burden of the entire West Africa when we should be focusing on ourselves. Even Ghana's electricity is powered by Nigeria's gas. If something happens to the West African Gas pipeline powered by Nigeria, light drops significantly in Ghana.

The earlier we started redirecting our resources inwards the better for us. When we get it right, then we can start exporting energy again.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by shugabasbn: 5:15pm On Dec 23, 2019
Wow!!!. I could remembered during our geography class in those days I asked my geography teacher why we are supply power to Niger, Benin republic with deficit at home, the man told me that we are doing da just to prevent them not to dam the River (I.e River Niger). If the river is dammed the water will be too little to power our turbine n we will suffer it.

I think this is the best time we should look inward and allow them to dam the river. The power we are supply them they are not paying n we are suffering from insufficient one at home.

Enough is enough

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by urahara(m): 5:15pm On Dec 23, 2019
[quote author=CSTR2 post=85159248]If buhari allows Niger to dam that river under his watch, then he should be arrested for treason.
He is originally from Niger republic.

Egypt and Ethiopia are about to go to war over the Nile.

There is no way you can tell me that Nigeria cannot stop a shitt hole from damming an essential river in a subregion where we contribute over 70%.

This is where you need a general buhari. Not by insulting the United States.[/quote

The bolded is so false.
Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by CSTR2: 5:20pm On Dec 23, 2019
H
Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by leofab(f): 5:31pm On Dec 23, 2019
Hmmm
Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by LesaSid: 5:34pm On Dec 23, 2019
Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by gr8tone: 5:34pm On Dec 23, 2019
Useless leaders. How much energy have they provided for their own people let alone exporting it. Let them generate, I will be very happy if it happens.
Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by CSTR2: 5:36pm On Dec 23, 2019
H
Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by Nobody: 5:36pm On Dec 23, 2019
GENEGIRIA:

Let me educate you. Nigeria is contracted to supply 120 million scf of gas daily to Ghana under the west Africa gas project. Supply is very erratic. Most times, Nigeria supplies about 60 million scf per day, which is half of what it is contracted to supply to Ghana. The beautiful thing is that Ghana is getting more than 400 million scf gas daily from its own oil and gas fields. If today nigeria decides to stop supplying gas to Ghana, Ghana won’t even feel it because Ghana is getting enough gas from its own fields.

On top of that, some private investors have built a gas Re gasification facility at Tema, which will allow Ghana to import LNG if it needs more gas. So it is completely false to suggest gas from Nigeria is what keeps the lights on in Ghana. This is a deliberate attempt to mislead people and you should therefore withdraw what you said. Ghana’s electricity is NOT powered by Nigeria’s gas.

It's no news that Ghana is working towards self-sufficiency, but what I have said about Nigeria being the powerhouse of West Africa, as at today 23rd of December 2019, cannot be disputed. By the way it's not just in the energy sector, trade and commerce in general, sports and entertainment, workforce and everything tangible about West Africa has Nigeria written all over it...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by abeggnow: 5:40pm On Dec 23, 2019
[quote author=eduman365 post=85157110]Should we be giving out what we don't have enough in the first place?

It might interest you to know that Nigeria has been the one shouldering the burden of the entire West Africa when we should be focusing on ourselves. Even Ghana's electricity is powered by Nigeria's gas. If something happens to the West African Gas pipeline powered by Nigeria, light drops significantly in Ghana.

The earlier we started redirecting our resources inwards the better for us. When we get it right, then we can start exporting energy again.[/quote t] they say charity begins at home not for us o.we always to our things without thinking.
Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by Nobody: 5:41pm On Dec 23, 2019
dre11:

https://thenationonlineng.net/nigeria-may-lose-niger-republics-665m-yearly-energy-cash/

why are our politicos' brains upside down like this?

if Niger dams the river half a billion dollars in 'earnings' will be the least of Nigeria's problems, our hydro-power projects won't get enough water to function anymore...hence the locked-in sales agreement and the Nigerien/Beninoise perpetual reluctance to clean up their debts...

We have enough gas in the south but of course the Fulani mafia will prefer to do more hydro-power projects because the infrastructure will be sited in their region, even when we all know that the viability of such projects will forever be threatened by such political considerations as this current one.

Fulani Government of Nigeria senselessly insisted on piping crude all the way from the delta to Kaduna because they want 90% of critical national infrastructure to be on their own soil!
Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by CSTR2: 5:46pm On Dec 23, 2019
GidiWoodsMan:

why are our politicos' brains upside down like this?

if Niger dams the river half a billion dollars in 'earnings' will be the least of Nigeria's problems, our hydro-power projects won't get enough water to function anymore...hence the locked-in sales agreement and the Nigerien/Beninoise perpetual reluctance to clean up their debts...
Buhari is more concerned with sowore and hate speech.

The level of leadership in Nigeria is so low.
So very very low.
Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by urahara(m): 5:46pm On Dec 23, 2019
CSTR2:

It is not false in anyway.
There were close to the edge of war until the United States decided to mediate.

[b]At the height of the tensions, Egypt swore to bomb the dam [/b]and Ethiopia told them to dare it if they can.
And tensions are still high.

There were allegations by Ethiopia that Egypt was killing their engineers.

Mad o shocked

Thanks for the info.
Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by Bluffly: 5:51pm On Dec 23, 2019
But where is all this money that we can't see them in our streets, neighbourhoods, schools, hospitals, and lives.
Re: Nigeria May Lose Niger Republic’s $665m Yearly Energy Cash by Blue3k(m): 5:55pm On Dec 23, 2019
urahara:

Mad o shocked

Thanks for the info.

Prisoners of geography talked about this. It's a good book if you want know geography effects domestic and geopolitics. The Africa chapter has to interesting parts about South Africa. It's also available on audible.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG Stops Grants For Youths, Alleges Misappropriation / Nobody Will Even Bomb IPOB – Sheikh Gumi Reacts To Kaduna 'Accidental' Airstrike / Kajuru Killings: Police Disown Casualty Figures Announced By El-rufai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.