Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,989 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:53 AM

Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane (44435 Views)

Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful / Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane by Gywnnwest(m): 9:21am On Dec 25, 2019
Really...Well its good that the canning is now old fashioned in Quranic schools.
Re: Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane by Nobody: 9:21am On Dec 25, 2019
Why do you keep giving all these failed leaders online voice?
Re: Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane by Thegoodone13(m): 9:27am On Dec 25, 2019
I ran away too because of cane. Now a Christian.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane by INTEGRITYA1(m): 9:28am On Dec 25, 2019
Olusegun Obasanjo Okikiola.
Re: Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane by Congrats321(m): 9:34am On Dec 25, 2019
Yet you are begging for Nigeria to remain one with baby factory products. Its confusing.
jahsharon:

Baby factory product from BiafranRepublic of drugs and crime

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane by Karleb(m): 9:35am On Dec 25, 2019
This is true.

I went to the east and I realized that there is hardly a mosque around, the school evens closes by 2 on friday.

Even as a Christian child then, I attended Moslem primary school. We learnt a little of the quran, their songs, I went to mosque to pray once as a kid, I was tempted to join ile kewu too because of my friends but the fear of koboko is the beginning of wisdom.

If the Northern and Eastern part of this country can be as religious tolerant as Western part, this country might just get it's bearing.

9 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane by Nobody: 9:36am On Dec 25, 2019
The best Nigerian President so far
Re: Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane by OROSUNBOLB(m): 9:40am On Dec 25, 2019
Yoruba people value their culture more than any religion. This is why it will be near impossible for anybody to divide them along religious line for political or any other gain.

Ebora Owu ! Respect sir.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane by emerged01(m): 9:41am On Dec 25, 2019
LegendHer0:
Baba is simply saying the Yorubas don’t care too much about religious differences.

As a Christian, he went to Ile-Keu one time or the other. This is the story of numerous Yorubas both Christian and Muslim alike that have been to either church or mosque one time or the other during their sojourn on earth.

I remembered I went to one Christ embassy church that time just because of sister Shayo.
I,myself, have been to ile kewu as a christian,that cane truly can make you hate ile kewu.
Re: Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane by TemmyT002(m): 9:46am On Dec 25, 2019
That's Yoruba for you
Christians and Muslims will be living together in peace and doing meetings together without any problems.
They celebrate Sallah and Christmas together.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane by Donald7610: 9:46am On Dec 25, 2019
Reserve these till Friday
Do not detail the topic

One love my brother

IAmStrange:
You see, that's part of what we are talking about.. . he's probably right... We have many Arabic schools around that beat children in manner that causes pain and things of sort... I've seen some people spite Islam and Muslims because of that...

But does Islam truly support that.. let the scholars do the talking (From islamqa.info):

With regard to smacking a child for not praying,
it is stipulated that the smacking should be light
and should not be painful
and should not break
the skin, or break a tooth or bone. It should be
on the back or the hand and the like, and the
face is to be avoided because it is forbidden to
strike it, because the Prophet (blessings and
peace of Allaah be upon him) forbade that.

It should not be more than ten blows, and it
should be done for the purpose of discipline
and teaching. So he (the parent etc) should not
show his desire to punish, except when there is
a need to show that,
such as if the child is
turning away from prayer and forsaking it, and
the like.

It was narrated from Abu Bardah al-Ansari that
he heard the Messenger of Allaah (blessings
and peace of Allaah be upon him) say: No one
should be given more than ten lashes except in
the case of one of the hadd punishments of
Allaah.” narrated by Al Bukhaari (6456) and
Muslim (3222).

You see. The smacking should be light and should never cause pain. The purpose of the beating is not to cause pain rather it is only to pass a message of discipline and that's after other measures has been taken and the child is not yielding.

That reflects in the words of more scholars...

The command implies that it is obligatory, but it
is limited only to cases where smacking will be
beneficial,
because sometimes you smack a
child but he does not benefit from being
smacked, it only makes him scream and cry
more and does not serve any benefit. Moreover
what is meant by smacking here is smacking
that is not painful, a light smack that serves the
purpose and does not cause any harm.
End
quote.
Liqa’ al-Baab il-Maftooh, 95/18

It's only in cases where it is beneficial and it must not cause harm.. must be light.

The Kuffar see the word (lightly) in all those verses that talks about smacking but due to their malicious intentions, they pretend as if they don't see it and they paint the smacking like it's some kind of a wrestling match

How hypocritical and insincere are the hearts of the Kuffar who do that!

This is another proof that many Muslims who identify with Islam do things that Islam forbids but they make people of ignorance attribute those things to Islam.

don't worry, When Imes comes, the world will know what a true Islamic figure is.. D and what true Islam is.

Imes, we await your coming grin
Re: Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane by psalmuelwater(m): 9:47am On Dec 25, 2019
Aidejay:
The message he's trying to pass was ignored the posters above..
Let me highlight it here. At some point in Nigerias history and in some places today as I type this, religion was and is not a source of division. Everybody practises what they want and lived in tranquility he was a Christian but walked into an Islamic school same way Muslims attended Christian missionary institutions. I learnt a lot during a relatives church wedding where in the muslims in the family joined us in the church auditorium as the couple's were joined in holy matrimony.
This is something that didn't raise eyebrows or tension. Religious tranquility can exist again with out fear of domination christianization or islamaization. It starts with you and me infact if you're reading this it starts with you religion should not be a burden.
You get sense

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane by LegendHer0: 9:58am On Dec 25, 2019
emerged01:

I,myself, have been to ile kewu as a christian,that cane truly can make you hate ile kewu.

Lol, I'm a Muslim but i fear going to ile kewu. That my Alfa is one devil in human form, he always beat us like we stole his belongings.

That culture of beating students gotta change or else the essence of the Quranic lessons will be defeated.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane by matiandu(m): 9:59am On Dec 25, 2019
I thank God for you o
Your brain would have been beating off just like the one of our seating president.
Re: Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane by Olakunleyakub(m): 10:03am On Dec 25, 2019
Pls help a soul today is Christmas and have not tasted any good food since 4days ago except garri and water
Abuja is a scam
Nigeria is a cursed and waste
Pls any amount is not small
Ijaola yakub olakunle
First bank.
Re: Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane by APOSTLECHUMA: 10:05am On Dec 25, 2019
God has a more terribe cane called hell fire which no man including obj can run away from if he fails to stand correction on earth.
Re: Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane by newwater: 10:12am On Dec 25, 2019
you can not also escaped canning from your wicked teachers and prefect at the same time both in primary and secondary school equally most especially if you are dull or stubborn child, it is not bad mouthing from OBJ, it is just part of reality of life before some idiot will misinterpret the statement to start attack one religion to another
Re: Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane by BOFREJO(m): 10:16am On Dec 25, 2019
jahsharon:

Please compare and compare with the following pastors sleeping with all girls in their churches.

1. Pastor Biodun Gucci Fatoyinbo
2. Pastor Chris Okotie
3. Pastor Chris Oyakhilome
slander!
Re: Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane by 0monnak0da: 10:18am On Dec 25, 2019
Both religions have been damaging to children in Africa

countless children have been labelled witches and tortures OR killed directly or by starvation by so called men of God like Oyedepo who flogged an innocent child on TV
Re: Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane by abeggnow: 10:19am On Dec 25, 2019
IAmStrange:
You see, that's part of what we are talking about.. . he's probably right... We have many Arabic schools around that beat children in manner that causes pain and things of sort... I've seen some people spite Islam and Muslims because of that...

But does Islam truly support that.. let the scholars do the talking (From islamqa.info):

With regard to smacking a child for not praying,
it is stipulated that the smacking should be light
and should not be painful
and should not break
the skin, or break a tooth or bone. It should be
on the back or the hand and the like, and the
face is to be avoided because it is forbidden to
strike it, because the Prophet (blessings and
peace of Allaah be upon him) forbade that.

It should not be more than ten blows, and it
should be done for the purpose of discipline
and teaching. So he (the parent etc) should not
show his desire to punish, except when there is
a need to show that,
such as if the child is
turning away from prayer and forsaking it, and
the like.

It was narrated from Abu Bardah al-Ansari that
he heard the Messenger of Allaah (blessings
and peace of Allaah be upon him) say: No one
should be given more than ten lashes except in
the case of one of the hadd punishments of
Allaah.” narrated by Al Bukhaari (6456) and
Muslim (3222).

You see. The smacking should be light and should never cause pain. The purpose of the beating is not to cause pain rather it is only to pass a message of discipline and that's after other measures has been taken and the child is not yielding.

That reflects in the words of more scholars...

The command implies that it is obligatory, but it
is limited only to cases where smacking will be
beneficial,
because sometimes you smack a
child but he does not benefit from being
smacked, it only makes him scream and cry
more and does not serve any benefit. Moreover
what is meant by smacking here is smacking
that is not painful, a light smack that serves the
purpose and does not cause any harm.
End
quote.
Liqa’ al-Baab il-Maftooh, 95/18

It's only in cases where it is beneficial and it must not cause harm.. must be light.

The Kuffar see the word (lightly) in all those verses that talks about smacking but due to their malicious intentions, they pretend as if they don't see it and they paint the smacking like it's some kind of a wrestling match

How hypocritical and insincere are the hearts of the Kuffar who do that!

This is another proof that many Muslims who identify with Islam do things that Islam forbids but they make people of ignorance attribute those things to Islam.

don't worry, When Imes comes, the world will know what a true Islamic figure is.. D and what true Islam is.

Imes, we await your coming grin
I wish people especially Muslims will read the Qur'an well and understand it.I have come to the conclusion that lots of Muslims are just like lots of Christians,they don't understand and don't really read the holly books and also don't care to understand it

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane by Nobody: 10:23am On Dec 25, 2019
Jack500:
That is why I like Yorubas, Christians and Muslims live together peacefully, Hausa are predominantly Muslims, Igbos are predominantly Christians.

I love Yorubas.
Who cares
Re: Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane by PointZerom: 10:24am On Dec 25, 2019
immhotep:
Rejecting sai dullardism since the year 1910grin
Cc lzaa gmbuharii
Wishing you all a blissful season.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane by Lovelife433(m): 10:24am On Dec 25, 2019
jahsharon:

Please compare and compare with the following pastors sleeping with all girls in their churches.

1. Pastor Biodun Gucci Fatoyinbo
2. Pastor Chris Okotie
3. Pastor Chris Oyakhilome
it will never be well with u and ur family in JESUS Name for those pastors u mention Amin. Eleribu omo na ur sister dey sleep with abi? Bastard.

Re: Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane by Nobody: 10:34am On Dec 25, 2019
PointZerom:

Wishing you all a blissful season.

Same to you my person.

Cc lzaa gmbuharii

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane by Nobody: 10:51am On Dec 25, 2019
If it is came it would have been better but it is koboko biko OBJ you are not alone jare.I absconded too.
Re: Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane by adeyemi2017(m): 11:01am On Dec 25, 2019
Aidejay:
The message he's trying to pass was ignored the posters above..
Let me highlight it here. At some point in Nigerias history and in some places today as I type this, religion was and is not a source of division. Everybody practises what they want and lived in tranquility he was a Christian but walked into an Islamic school same way Muslims attended Christian missionary institutions. I learnt a lot during a relatives church wedding where in the muslims in the family joined us in the church auditorium as the couple's were joined in holy matrimony.
This is something that didn't raise eyebrows or tension. Religious tranquility can exist again with out fear of domination christianization or islamaization. It starts with you and me infact if you're reading this it starts with you religion should not be a burden.
You said it well.......Only that favoritism and religion bigotry will continue shattered the religious tranquility in Nigeria until will tackled it individually through pristine knowledge of individual religion.
Re: Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane by wink2015(m): 11:02am On Dec 25, 2019
I Stopped Attending Arabic School Over Fear Of Cane - Obasanjo
The former president said this during a lecture on tolerance between Christians and Muslims in Abeokuta, Ogun State.
BY SAHARAREPORTERS, NEW YORK DEC 24, 2019

Nigeria’s former president, Olusegun Obasanjo, has said that he attended Arabic school known in Yoruba as Ile Kewu for some time until he ran away because of the cane.

The former president said this during a lecture on tolerance between Christians and Muslims in Abeokuta, Ogun State.

Obasanjo urged Nigerians to live in peace and harmony with their neighbours towards deepening national unity and development, adding that Nigeria would have been a better place if adherents of various religions especially Islam and Christianity imbibed harmonious living.

He said, “If we can live in peace with our neighbour at the local, community, state, national, continental and global level, what a different world it would have been.

“Let me tell you, I went to Ile Kewu (Arabic school). In my village, mosque and church were built close to each other. When I was growing up in the village, there was no difference and I started going to Qur’anic school. What drove me away was koboko (horse whip).

“But what I imbibed in the village when I was growing up is what I have practised all my life."

http://saharareporters.com/2019/12/24/i-stopped-attending-arabic-school-over-fear-cane-obasanjo

Shocking revealation.

So Obasanjo also had this MUSILIMAH experience !
Re: Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane by adecz: 11:31am On Dec 25, 2019
Most of the mistrust & animosity
between the two religions is caused
by the Fulani clergy & their elite.

The Hausa people are just slaves
& zombie drones to be used by the
Fulani to cause mayhem .
Re: Obasanjo: I Ran Away From Arabic Qur’anic School Over Fear Of The Cane by SoulB6: 12:47pm On Dec 25, 2019
I attend, I received a lot of cane and koboko, I tolerate it and I graduate to become Alfa not only in one Islamiyya but many with me holding my own Kobo.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

State By State Breakdown Of Goodluck Jonathans Achievements / I Will Work With Donald Trump — Buhari / Buhari Reveals What Recovered Stolen Monies Will Be Used For

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.