Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,365 members, 7,815,780 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:12 PM

Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election (40225 Views)

Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful / Obasanjo: I Have Seen Three Olu Of Warri, I Don’t Want To See Fourth Coronation / Falae: Fear Of Probe Made Military Manipulate 1999 Election In Obasanjo's Favour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by Fareke: 5:05am On Jun 26, 2022
Former President, Olusegun Obasanjo, on Saturday, said he made two mistakes, which included the choice of his ‘number two’ ahead of the 1999 presidential election.

Obasanjo said the second mistake was his refusal to accept an asylum when he was told that the late Head of State, Sani Abacha, wanted to arrest him, the action, he said, could have led to his death .

Obasanjo became democratically elected President in 1999 while the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party in the 2023 elections, Atiku Abubakar, was his vice president.

Obasanjo, who did not mention Atiku in his statement, said it was a mistake he made in good faith, but was saved by God.

The former president spoke on his life and achievements both as a military Head of State and as a civilian President.

Obasanjo stated this, while answering questions posed by students from selected secondary schools that participated in the finals of the National Exhibition and Awards organised by Students for the Advancement of Global Entrepreneurship.

The event, held at the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library, Abeokuta, Ogun State, featured presentations and exhibitions of some products made by students of the participating schools.

The former president, while interacting with the students during a questions and answers session, said he had many mistakes, which he could describe as genuine mistakes in his life but God made him to overcome.

He said, “One of the mistakes I made was picking my number two when I wanted to become the President. But because it was a genuine mistake, God saved me.

“The second one was when Abacha wanted to arrest me. When he wanted to arrest me, I was told by the American ambassador that they would arrest me and that America had asked that I should be given an asylum. I said ‘No’. It could have been a mistake because I could have lost my life.

“I will say there are many things that could have been a mistake but God saved me from them all.”

While speaking on opportunities for the youths to take over the mantle of leadership in the country, Obasanjo said youths can never come into power, if the current trend continues.

He said with the “Not Too Young to Run campaign, and you can see that those that are contesting now are between 70 and 80 years old, how can the youths run?”

He added, “Another thing inhibiting youth from running is the amount of money involved in going into politics. I hope that things should not continue like this.

“I was 39 years old when I became the Military Head of State. Twenty years later, I came back as civilian president, but those there now do not want to allow the youths. If things continue like this, I do not know how you can come in.”

The former president also tutored the students that they should imbibe religious tolerance.

He advised them not to see their own religion as superior to that of another person.

Welcoming participant at the event, the Chairman of SAGE Nigeria, Agwu Amogu, said the programme was to celebrate the creative energies and commitments of teen entrepreneurs who see the challenges in the communities as their responsibilities.

He said, “SAGE is an acronym for Students for the Advancement of Global Entrepreneurship. It is an international programme initiated at the California State University Chico USA in 2002 and currently operational in over 32 countries across all the continents of the world.

“It offers secondary school-age young people a hands-on learning process on how to create wealth, help others and their communities.”

Amigu said since the introduction of the program in Nigeria in 2006, it has shown that it is a potent strategy and model for educational reform, youth re-orientation, job creation and poverty alleviation and multi-cultural integration

According to him, Nigeria urgently needs a new paradigm for education.

“The new paradigm must provide students with a chance to learn while solving community problems and immediately applying what they have learnt in the classroom by actually doing something great.

“We now live in a world where any country can compete effectively with others based on the creative imagination of its human capital. There is no better place to stoke the fire of imagination than in the young people. And that is where SAGE comes in.

“SAGE is about creating value. Students are encouraged to create something of value in their communities by applying what they learn in the classroom and testing it in the ultimate laboratory – the free market,” he said.

Amogu added, “We firmly believe that Nigeria can be a world leader in providing potent human capital to the rest of the world; setting a benchmark for other countries to follow.

https://www.nairaland.com/7197066/made-mistake-president-when-picking#114161652

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by drtwist(m): 5:15am On Jun 26, 2022
The same reason Atiku is scared of Wike, He knows how he tormented your government himself because of power greed

278 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by judithjam: 5:22am On Jun 26, 2022
Atiku can never be president,but I thought obasanjo forgave him

184 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by saintjimos(m): 5:23am On Jun 26, 2022
Loyalty

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by Throwback: 5:24am On Jun 26, 2022
Imagine that.

So why did he join the Atikulators holding their breath for Atiku to cum in 2019, knowing that he was a mistake?

Now in 2022, he has again remembered Atiku is the same mistake?

Atiku was born a Cameroonian, as such he was never eligible to be in the Nigerian Presidency, even if he might have risen to top management of Nigerian Customs.

Sadly the same uninformed mob who were atikulating a mistake in 2019, are now obidiently parading a pathological liar who graduated 3rd class in philosophy, only for his economic lies to be roundly disgraced by the Economics professor that is now in charge in Anambra.

I laugh in anonymous supporter.

330 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by bewla(m): 5:26am On Jun 26, 2022
No one see tomorrow

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by Nobody: 6:01am On Jun 26, 2022
Which one of you is not a mistake? You that could not fix power after spending billions on it...or have we forgotten your 3rd term agenda where you were sharing ghana must go openly in the Senate?

Apc and pdp and all those who have decamped from them are terrible mistakes which we are stuck with till today...

101 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by thesicilian: 6:06am On Jun 26, 2022
You didn't make any mistake, you chose the person you thought was most likely to give you the most northern votes for you to win. You made a mathematical calculation without giving any thoughts for morality or integrity. It's what you all do when you are desperate to win an election.

148 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by Pidginwhisper: 6:19am On Jun 26, 2022
grin grin
Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by Juanmike(m): 6:19am On Jun 26, 2022
Atiky must have dealt with OBJ sotey, him no forget .

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by shamelessmanna: 6:19am On Jun 26, 2022
Oga rest na all of una cause the one wey we dey so, your corruption gave birth to this corruption pro max

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by gerrardomendes(m): 6:20am On Jun 26, 2022
Obi is coming...

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by McOluOmo: 6:20am On Jun 26, 2022
Baba take a chill pill, u are part of Nigeria problem today

Yeye old fuuuul

Guys wey no get girlfriend get peace of mind

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by Nobody: 6:20am On Jun 26, 2022
DominusPrime:
Which one of you is not a mistake? You that could not fix power after spending billions on it...or have we forgotten your 3rd term agenda where you were sharing ghana must go openly in the Senate?

Apc and pdp and all those who have decamped from them are terrible mistakes which we are stuck with till today...

The Baba is very daft, he is meant to be regretting that he did not fix the nation when he had the chance to. They are all part of Nigeria's problems including the bros in Aso Rock.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by Nazgul: 6:20am On Jun 26, 2022
So technically, Obsanjo is advising us against voting for Atiku. Anyways I'm Obedient all the way.

22 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by datola: 6:21am On Jun 26, 2022
It will be Nigeri's greatest mistake if Atiku is elected as next president.

His own Fulani agenda will be worse than the present. And corruption will be institutionalized.

Atiku is too greedy and inconsiderate. How can you be scheming for another 8 years of Nothern misrule.

53 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by dadabryth: 6:22am On Jun 26, 2022
In every mistake, there's always a reason.

Baba, please correct your mistakes by supporting Tinubu for President come 2023.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by Juanmike(m): 6:25am On Jun 26, 2022
dadabryth:
In every mistake, there's always a reason.

Baba, please correct your mistakes by supporting Tinubu for President come 2023.
Thats jumping from frying pan to fire.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by Holyness123: 6:26am On Jun 26, 2022
comvam...
Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by DAMIMONY: 6:26am On Jun 26, 2022
Baba heard you brought phone an sim to us hence having a life share in mtn, heard you claimed Otta farm which originally belongs to Nigeria,heard you set Atiku up with full helicopter loaded with money but failed,heard you jailed tafa balogun because of your hatred for police .baba heard so many things about you o..with ur jojolo lips

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by Nobody: 6:27am On Jun 26, 2022
Daguga:

The Baba is very daft, he is meant to be regretting that he did not fix the nation when he had the chance to. They are all part of Nigeria's problems including the bros in Aso Rock.

The one in aso rock na complete mannequin...

7 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by muykem: 6:27am On Jun 26, 2022
PDP made the same mistake in 2019 and also 2022.

5 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by xarm(m): 6:30am On Jun 26, 2022
Atiku will never be Nigeria president while OBJ still alive

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by Stanislause94: 6:32am On Jun 26, 2022
Mehn!
Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by Mytechworld: 6:32am On Jun 26, 2022
Obasanjo,Let the sleeping Dog lay
Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by Ikemba007: 6:33am On Jun 26, 2022
This one will not stick to one thing. At his age he won't go and rest.

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by kingsways: 6:34am On Jun 26, 2022
A very hard knock
Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by bluefilm: 6:35am On Jun 26, 2022
judithjam:
Atikulooter showed obasanjo shege.

So obasanjo cannot forgive.

12 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by omenka(m): 6:35am On Jun 26, 2022
No point regretting the past Baba. You did really well for Nigeria and we will always be grateful.

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by symbianDON(m): 6:36am On Jun 26, 2022
judithjam:
seems obj has 'unforgiven' him grin

6 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election by Parachoko: 6:37am On Jun 26, 2022
thesicilian:
You didn't make any mistake, you chose the person you thought was most likely to give you the most northern votes for you to win. You made a mathematical calculation without giving any thoughts for morality or integrity. It's what you all do when you are desperate to win an election.
Most of you guys just love saying rubbish. If you are ask for evidence Obasanjo choose Atiku because of Northern votes now, you won't be able to back up your claim with facts.

Obasanjo choose Atiku as his vice President after he won the presidential election. Atiku contested to become the Governor of Adamawa and he won the election.

320 Likes 6 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Unclad Man Disrupts Voting Process At Polling Unit In Abia (Photos) / Reign Of Terror In Onitsha As Daredevil Gangs Unleash Mayhem / Wike, Ortom, Ugwuanyi, Ikpeazu, Makinde Meet In Enugu Over Peter Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.