Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,773 members, 7,809,982 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:16 PM

Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? (1268 Views)

Man Spotted With APC Branded Shirt On Fuel Queue (picture) / Zero Fuel Queue...improved Roads For Travelers ...4th Bomb Free Christmas / Adams Oshiomhole On A Voting Queue (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by luluosas(m): 6:47pm On Dec 26, 2019
Over the years, Nigeria has always suffered shortage of petroleum products scarcity during festive period such this, subjecting Nigerians to hardship which is usually created by greedy oil marketers to maximize profits. But suddenly, Christmas and New Year will come, and Nigerians no longer sleeps in petrol stations with endless queues lasting for days, in addition to hike in the pump price.

I am therefore asking: Where are the fuel queues we were used to during the end of year in the recent past?
What's your opinion?

Let's hear it.

Thank you.

Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by Kwamecron(m): 6:48pm On Dec 26, 2019
Bubu is working

3 Likes

Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by luluosas(m): 6:53pm On Dec 26, 2019
Yes, I can notice too. But I am thinking that it was we Nigerians that were punishing ourselves because we loved seeing others suffer. May God help us
Kwamecron:
Bubu is working

1 Like

Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by donbachi(m): 6:54pm On Dec 26, 2019
Buhari try for dat side

1 Like

Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by Nobody: 7:01pm On Dec 26, 2019
In the good old days, ie 5 years ago, fuel marketers imported fuel and then got paid a subsidy for selling fuel below the market price.

Problem was, it was becoming difficult to pay the subsidy. Hence fuel queues at the end of the year, as marketers tried to balance their books to prevent losses which would lead them to, among other things, start sacking workers and closing fuel stations to cut losses.

What Buhari did was to stop paaying subsidy to marketers...instead NNPC in theory imports fuel at above N180 per liter, and sells it at N137 to marketers and pays the difference. Marketers then sell to end consumers at N145 and make a profit.

Either way, itr costs Nigeria billions of Naira, and is prone to corruption. But since Nigerians don't want oil subsidy removed....it stays.

As for why we cannot build more refienreis...who is going to spend billions on a refienry, billions refining one liter of fuel at N165 and above...and then sell the same fuel at N145. ?? And lose money??
Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by luluosas(m): 8:30pm On Dec 26, 2019
Okay, well understood.
But in the area of building refinery, Dangote is singlehandedly building a world class refinery from the scratch. What stops our Federal Government with huge financial chest from building new refineries or at least maintain the existing ones to work optimally in order to stop the importation of the refined products?
Me still think that some government officials are benefiting hugely from fuel importation hence no effort to make the refineries to work. It is well

Bedwyr:
In the good old days, ie 5 years ago, fuel marketers imported fuel and then got paid a subsidy for selling fuel below the market price.

Problem was, it was becoming difficult to pay the subsidy. Hence fuel queues at the end of the year, as marketers tried to balance their books to prevent losses which would lead them to, among other things, start sacking workers and closing fuel stations to cut losses.

What Buhari did was to stop paaying subsidy to marketers...instead NNPC in theory imports fuel at above N180 per liter, and sells it at N137 to marketers and pays the difference. Marketers then sell to end consumers at N145 and make a profit.

Either way, itr costs Nigeria billions of Naira, and is prone to corruption. But since Nigerians don't want oil subsidy removed....it stays.

As for why we cannot build more refienreis...who is going to spend billions on a refienry, billions refining one liter of fuel at N165 and above...and then sell the same fuel at N145. ?? And lose money??
Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by jconsulting(f): 9:27pm On Dec 26, 2019
When fuel price is increased next year we will all see it
Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by Okoroawusa: 9:48pm On Dec 26, 2019
Bedwyr:

No be wetin dem ask you.

Why is there no fuel scarcity?... you dey form analyst
Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by deji68: 9:53pm On Dec 26, 2019
Well this year and last year are good... 2015, 2016, 2017 were terrible years
Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by fyneguy: 9:59pm On Dec 26, 2019
luluosas:
Yes, I can notice too. But I am thinking that it was we Nigerians that were punishing ourselves because we loved seeing others suffer. May God help us

lol Have Nigerians repented?
Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by fyneguy: 10:05pm On Dec 26, 2019
luluosas:
Okay, well understood.
But in the area of building refinery, Dangote is singlehandedly building a world class refinery from the scratch. What stops our Federal Government with huge financial chest from building new refineries or at least maintain the existing ones to work optimally in order to stop the importation of the refined products?
Me still think that some government officials are benefiting hugely from fuel importation hence no effort to make the refineries to work. It is well

The solution is a total overhaul of the PETROCHEMICAL industry. This is the secret to our economic prosperity. We need refineries that can crack crude oil into ALL components, to get the proper value for the commodity. This will create business and job opportunities across the value chain and boost our economy.
Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by Wiseandtrue(f): 10:19pm On Dec 26, 2019
Who will queue to get fuel at N145

Some are even selling at N143 to get customer

1 Like

Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by helinues: 10:42pm On Dec 26, 2019
Weak government policy plus selfishness of fuel marketers caused fuel scarcity years back

Kudos to the present government .

2 Likes

Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by lastempero: 11:17pm On Dec 26, 2019
Where u see money to buy fuel
Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by Nobody: 6:26am On Dec 27, 2019
Okoroawusa:

No be wetin dem ask you.

Why is there no fuel scarcity?... you dey form analyst

Because I like analaysing things....it's why my name is Analyzer.

But on a more serious note, it's because the whole fuel pricing thing has interested me for many years...especially since I started driving some ten years ago, and had to think about things like fuel price more.
Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by Nobody: 6:27am On Dec 27, 2019
fyneguy:

The solution is a total overhaul of the PETROCHEMICAL industry. This is the secret to our economic prosperity. We need refineries that can crack crude oil into ALL components, to get the proper value for the commodity. This will create business and job opportunities across the value chain and boost our economy.

Well, the fact is, at the end of the day, one cannot sell PMS at a price less than what it costs to refine it.

That's what is hindering the building of new refineries.
Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by Nobody: 6:35am On Dec 27, 2019
luluosas:
Okay, well understood.

1.Dangote is building a refienry...at a cost of $9 billion. $3 billion comes from his pocket, $6 billion came from the banks and other financial institutions...as loans.

2.Government cannot build new refinereis for the simple reason that NNPC is not run as a serious profit making industry. Right now, NNPC is spending billions of naira in subsidising fuel...since thanks to the new arrangements in place since 2017....fuel is now imported and subsidised solely by NNPC.

3.A new refinery....like Danogte's own...costs $9billion at least to build. We probably need three of such refinereis. That takes the cost to $36 billion....13 trillion naira....more than our current budget. (And yes, we have a foreign reserve of $40 billion, but CBN and the Finance Minsitry would scream with horror if government tried to spend that cash).

4.For me the trick to get more refineries (and mind you, there are two other smaller scale refinereis coming up too...and several more in the pipeline)...is simple...remove fuel subsidy, so that it would be profitable for someone to build and run a new refinery...inclduing NNPC. (NNPC also would be cut off from free government money...which would incentivise them to run exisitng and new refineres properly).

The problem is, since 1993...fuel subsidy removal has always been opposed by most Nigerians.

2 Likes

Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by Saao(m): 7:00am On Dec 27, 2019
What are you guys hailing him for? We are buying fuel 145 naira the highest ever in Nigeria and X 2 of the amount we bought before he came in. We should have home delivery instead of going to filling station to buy the product. In other gossip, I heard, next year subsidy will be remove so prepare for fuel increase.
Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by princemillla(m): 7:14am On Dec 27, 2019
It’s a sign of progressive

1 Like

Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by Okoroawusa: 7:16am On Dec 27, 2019
Bedwyr:

Because I like analaysing things....it's why my name is Analyzer.

But on a more serious note, it's because the whole fuel pricing thing has interested me for many years...especially since I started driving some ten years ago, and had to think about things like fuel price more.
ok
Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by luluosas(m): 10:03am On Dec 27, 2019
Well, that is true. But individual repentance is what will trigger national repentance. So, if as individuals we fail to repent and stop our sins, there will certainly be no national revival. It is well.

fyneguy:

lol Have Nigerians repented?
Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by luluosas(m): 10:11am On Dec 27, 2019
Total removal of fuel subsidy will see a boom in Nigeria's economic recovery and speedy development of our father's land. In fact, the corruption in fuel subsidy is the single largest reason our refineries has refused to work. The power that be wants to continue having access to slush funds while the populates recks in abject poverty.
By the time subsidy is totally removed, I think that the money will then be channeled towards our refineries maintenance which will in turn force down the retail price, since there will be absence of middlemen in the chain distribution of refined petroleum products within Nigeria here. That's my opinion though.
Saao:
What are you guys hailing him for? We are buying fuel 145 naira the highest ever in Nigeria and X 2 of the amount we bought before he came in. We should have home delivery instead of going to filling station to buy the product. In other gossip, I heard, next year subsidy will be remove so prepare for fuel increase.

1 Like

Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by luluosas(m): 10:16am On Dec 27, 2019
I don't think so in totality. To me, I will attribute this development to strong will power to do the right thing by the Buhari administration. If previous governments had adopted this approach, we won't be talking about this now. Anyway, it's a welcome development. Thank you.

princemillla:
It’s a sign of progressive
Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by luluosas(m): 10:21am On Dec 27, 2019
No vex sir. I didn't know that all the vehicles in our roads presently are all electric cars, buses and lorries. In fact, I never knew that vehicles now uses ordinary water instead of fuel. Thank you sir.
lastempero:
Where u see money to buy fuel
Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by luluosas(m): 10:23am On Dec 27, 2019
Who will queue? Why do you need to queue when there's no scarcity of petroleum products?
Wiseandtrue:
Who will queue to get fuel at N145

Some are even selling at N143 to get customer
Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by luluosas(m): 10:28am On Dec 27, 2019
What about some years before 2015?
deji68:
Well this year and last year are good... 2015, 2016, 2017 were terrible years
Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by luluosas(m): 10:31am On Dec 27, 2019
Are you saying that Dangote is building his refinery to run at a loss in the long run?
Bedwyr:

Well, the fact is, at the end of the day, one cannot sell PMS at a price less than what it costs to refine it.

That's what is hindering the building of new refineries.
Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by luluosas(m): 10:34am On Dec 27, 2019
Is Buhari going to increase fuel price or a removal of subsidy? I just need clarifications. Thank you
jconsulting:
When fuel price is increased next year we will all see it
Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by kolaaderin: 10:36am On Dec 27, 2019
Bring back our queue
Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by Saao(m): 10:42am On Dec 27, 2019
luluosas:
Total removal of fuel subsidy will see a boom in Nigeria's economic recovery and speedy development of our father's land. In fact, the corruption in fuel subsidy is the single largest reason our refineries has refused to work. The power that be wants to continue having access to slush funds while the populates recks in abject poverty.
By the time subsidy is totally removed, I think that the money will then be channeled towards our refineries maintenance which will in turn force down the retail price, since there will be absence of middlemen in the chain distribution of refined petroleum products within Nigeria here. That's my opinion though.
thanks for your opinion, but can I remind you that, since buhari took over, he increased fuel from 87 to 145, what did they do with the differences in the increase? Secondly, are you saying individuals are powerful than government especially this buhari government that control other arm of government tyrannically? If any government wants to fail she resort to excuses as the case of this government. Nigerians are already in severe pain adding to their pains it's wickedness in high places. Government functioned as a palliative to the plight of her citizens not to impoverished them as in this government.
Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by GamalNasser: 11:05am On Dec 27, 2019
For most of Jonathan's govt there's wasnt scarcity till 2014 Xmas which was orchestrated by the APC
Re: Festive Seasons Without Fuel Queue?? by Nobody: 11:08am On Dec 27, 2019
luluosas:

That's what I keep telling people, and that's what GEJ tried to do in 2012...but most Nigerians think that low oil prices is a right....even if not sustainable.

Even when showing them the massive corruption in the subsidy regime...all they would say is 'We need more fairness' Well, the subsidy regime is not set up to ensure fairness and freedom from corruption.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Stimulus Package:why Is Buhari Inhumane? / Ben Murray-bruce STV CEO Tests Positive For Covid-19 / 239 New Cases Of #COVID19 128 Deaths 745 Discharged

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.