Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,188 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:47 AM

Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos (26732 Views)

Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt / Leaked Memo Shows Banks Asked Telcos To Charge For USSD (pics) / Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos by dre11(m): 11:56am On Dec 27, 2019
• Aitel to cough up N2.39bn

• MTN, Glo to pay N396.9m

• Firms accused of forcefully subscribing customers
The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has fined three mobile network operators, Airtel, MTN and Globacom a sum of N2,794,022,000.

New Telegraph learnt that the telecom operators incurred the wrath of the regulator having contravened the rule that bars them from automatically renewing data for their customers.

This came as one of the heaviest sanctions against the operators in recent time after the 2016 landmark fine against MTN.

The Commission had, on May 21, 2018, issued a directive to all network providers to desist from carrying out automatic or unwarranted renewal of data packages without their subscribers’ consent or risk N5 million fine.

The telecom regulator said the directive became imperative in view of the mounting complaints from subscribers against the service providers for forcefully subscribing for them while they have no intention of doing so.

According to NCC in its latest Compliance Monitoring and Enforcement report, a recent audit of the networks revealed that the three operators forcefully subscribed some customers to Data and Value Added Services in contravention of the Commission’s Direction on Forceful Subscription.

With this discovery, the regulator said the operators were communicated on the implication of their actions and were asked to refund the affected subscribers.

Subsequently, the Commission said each of the operators have been written a letter stating their fines.

From the report, Airtel may have committed the infraction on large number of subscribers as the telco is to pay the largest chunk of the total fine.

According to NCC, Airtel is to pay a fine of N2.3 billion, while MTN and Globacom are to pay N164.3 million and N232.5 million respectively.

“During an audit exercise carried out by the Commission from September 25-28, 2019, it was discovered that Airtel, MTN and Globacom forcefully subscribed some customers to Data and Value Added Services in contravention of the Commission’s Direction on Forceful Subscription.

“A letter was sent to the MNOs (Airtel, MTN and Globacom) directing that they make the required refunds before September 27, 2019 and also furnish the Commission with the details on or before October 4, 2019,” the Commission stated in its enforcement report.

“Checks revealed that some refunds have been effected by the operators along with forwarded documentation. While the letters conveying the fines, which include Airtel – N2,397,084,000; MTN – N164,362,000 and Globacom – N232,576,000, have been sent,” the regulator stated.

Speaking at a recent forum, the Director of Enforcement and Compliance Monitoring at NCC, Mr. Efosa Idehen, said the regulator had observed infractions in the area of data auto-renewal and was investigating it.

“Automatic renewal of data is an illegality and we are looking into it. Very soon, you will see us take action,” he had said.

Executive Vice Chairman of the NCC, Prof. Umar Danbatta, had also noted that aside the N5 million fine that awaits violation of the auto-renewal directive, every day that the commission issues the sanction and the fine was not paid by the service provider, it would attract additional N500,000.

“We have also directed that no mobile service providers should impose their services to consumers. It is expected that they should obtain their consent.

“There should be a written text by the network provider to the consumer requesting to know whether the consumer is interested in renewing the package, after that, the network provider must also repeat the process to ensure that the consumer understood the terms and conditions of the service and has given consent before automatic renewal.

“In a situation where the commission receives complaints from the consumer that he or she was short-changed, the Commission will take it up on behalf of the consumer because that will be a violation of directive,” Danbatta said.

https://www.newtelegraphng.com/2019/12/data-renewal-ncc-slams-n2-8bn-fines-on-telcos/

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos by DonFreshmoney(m): 12:00pm On Dec 27, 2019
AIRTEL IS USED TO THAT VERY WELL... I go recharge 3k for calls only.. then the useless network go deduct am on their own like say I send dem work....

Ensure ABBA Kyari doesn't siphon these money.. it must be put to good use

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos by Davash222(m): 12:07pm On Dec 27, 2019
Okay... that’s good... but wetin NCC and Federal government dey use all these money do??

93 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos by DrGaius(m): 12:39pm On Dec 27, 2019
Way to go. These SPs, over the years, have become uncontrollable that if left unchecked, it will get to a point where subscribers would not be credited until they pay for the next subscription.

25 Likes

Re: Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos by BrainnewsRadio(f): 1:44pm On Dec 27, 2019
What about 9mobile?
This guys are good at deducting airtime as it pleases them..
NCC where are thou?

1 Like

Re: Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos by Humphrizy(m): 1:49pm On Dec 27, 2019
Las Las... That fine wey dey on board so... Na "we" the subscribers go still Pay for am indirectly undecided

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos by Timileyin1234(m): 1:53pm On Dec 27, 2019
Airtel is very annoying
Good riddance

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos by edoairways: 2:38pm On Dec 27, 2019
Timileyin1234:
Airtel is very annoying
Especially those useless spam calls

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos by Timileyin1234(m): 2:39pm On Dec 27, 2019
edoairways:

Especially those useless spam calls
And those messages when u change sims

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos by Nobody: 3:29pm On Dec 27, 2019
Clearly fine is not enough Airtel still forcifully subscribed me just last month.

Why has these scamming Telcos been allowed to have the whole Nigerian market only to themselves.

Why is NCC not allowing more competitors to enter the market?

These useless fines are just NCC playing to gallery, if NCC continues to allow these four telcos to operate a cartel.

We know there are Telcos in China who offer (as standard) 1GB data for equivalent of N25.

Why is NCC preventing such players from entering the lucrative Nigerian market?

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos by sunshineV(f): 4:33pm On Dec 27, 2019
So NCC WILL SHARE THIS FINE WITH US AS GIVEAWAYS OR WHAT?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos by Abbeyme: 4:33pm On Dec 27, 2019
Has MTN paid
Re: Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos by Slawormir: 4:33pm On Dec 27, 2019
Damnnnnn niggarrr

Nice
Re: Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos by philip0906(m): 4:34pm On Dec 27, 2019
GenBuhari:

These useless fines are just NCC playing to gallery, if NCC continues to allow these four telcos to operate a cartel.

We know there are Telcos in China who offer (as standard) 1GB data for equivalent of N25.

Why is NCC preventing such players from entering the lucrative Nigerian market?
It's still a mystery why data is luxury in this part of the world. I have absolutely no idea why...

Years back (2009/2010) I paid 15,000cfa (Isocel network) for unlimited data in the Republic of Benin. Data was for 3 devices. Tiny Republic of Benin, here.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos by Bigval5: 4:34pm On Dec 27, 2019
Na them sabi...

I'm still enjoying my Glo free browsing & unlimited downloads grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos by directonpc(m): 4:35pm On Dec 27, 2019
Awesome news

Extra
Checkout this android app I built that let's you use USSD Banking without internet or cramming codes.
Get it from Google play via:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.buildbrothers.ussdbanking

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos by MISTAICEY02288(m): 4:35pm On Dec 27, 2019
SMH! Our Naija Telecommunications companies are nothing but useless thieves. They provide very poor service in the country and still extorting subscribers in crazy manners. Imagine these shameless lots can not even boast of stable 3G services in most parts of the country talk more making 4G stable, whereas 5G is already spreading in some sane countries...

It's only in Nigeria one will subscribe for data about 5 times or even more in a single week and the subscriptions are even done for outrageous amounts.. I personally know how much i spend on data every week talk more every month in this country..
I read comments of some Nigerians in diaspora recently on Instagram about how much they pay for internet services abroad and couldn't help but shake my head in shame for these criminals here...

One of the commenter said the amount he pays monthly for unlimited data on his phone in Malaysia is equivalent to just about 2500 when converted to Naira and he can do anything and download anything with the internet for that month..

Another person in Russia said he pays equivalent of 4k in Naira when he converts the amount he spends on unlimited internet per month.

Even I personally have been to some countries outside Nigeria and I know how much Internet cost over there..

And as if that isn't enough, now these criminals will still keep charging and getting their customers subscribed to different nonsense against their wishes..

If it were in saner climes, these companies would have been forced to sit up and do the right thing or get ready to pack their things and leave this country... Anyways, kudos to NCC on this. This is a great development.. More sanctions need to be put in place for these criminals..

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos by StrongandMighty: 4:35pm On Dec 27, 2019
Airtel should pay within 24hrs

My last 2h wey I recharge make I use call person wey go send me money dey use am do auto renewal for me when I no send them message cry

3 Likes

Re: Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos by Evangkatsoulis: 4:35pm On Dec 27, 2019
Rubbish.
Airtel and mtn always send me an option for autorenewal, and I always get to choose yes or no.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos by ednut1(m): 4:35pm On Dec 27, 2019
they never share this money to us. so NCC can GTFOH

1 Like

Re: Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos by tardell007(m): 4:36pm On Dec 27, 2019
Wagbayi!
Re: Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos by nine9clien: 4:36pm On Dec 27, 2019
LMAO, they should make data sub cheaper
Re: Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos by Respect55(m): 4:37pm On Dec 27, 2019
Will dey remit the fines to us forcibly subscribed

7 Likes

Re: Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos by Nobody: 4:38pm On Dec 27, 2019
You won't understand the feeling till you experience it. One time I had to threaten to report them on twitter before a higher up supervisor guaranteed me of a refund.
Re: Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos by Saheed9: 4:38pm On Dec 27, 2019
Very annoying
Re: Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos by ijewejones: 4:38pm On Dec 27, 2019
Make NCC no just SLAM them..Make NCC SMACK them DOWN join

Milking the masses & rendering poor network services(no need taking roll call)

Imagine ooo,as I'm about writing my comment,network become friendly with me & my phone but I must say out my grievances on our network providers..I WON'T COLLECT THAT BRIBE grin

2 Likes

Re: Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos by oriewanbe: 4:39pm On Dec 27, 2019
Haa! in this coming new year? Well, this will serve as a deterrent. NCC, please tamper justice with mercy o.
Re: Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos by naijazee2: 4:40pm On Dec 27, 2019
We don hear shocked shocked grin
Re: Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos by Nobody: 4:45pm On Dec 27, 2019
Airtel
Re: Data Renewal: NCC Slams N2.8bn Fines On Telcos by loadedvibes: 4:48pm On Dec 27, 2019
Ncc own no pass fines ... Last last nobody fine reach NCC

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Which Network Provider Disturbs With Promotional Messages The Most? / See The Top 7 Strange Looking Smartphones With Unique Features / 7 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Alway Overheats And How To Fix It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.