Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:46 AM

Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises (43453 Views)

Thousands Of Palestinians Flee North Gaza After Israel's Evacuation Warning / US Completes Evacuation Of Embassy In Afghanistan As Flag Went Down / Wildfires In Northern California Force Mass Evacuation Of Residents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises by Nobody: 6:47am On Dec 30, 2019
Thousands of people were urged to evacuate parts of Australia's southeast on Monday, as a new heatwave left firefighters across the country bracing for another round of potentially catastrophic bushfire.

Hundreds of blazes are burning across Australia, as a bushfire season that started earlier than usual in the southern hemisphere spring continues to wreak havoc.

More than 30,000 people were told to evacuate Victoria state's popular East Gippsland region on Sunday amid fears soaring temperatures and gusting winds would increase three large blazes and cut off the last large road still open.

Victoria Emergency Management agency warned it was "not possible" to provide assistance to all visitors in the area.

"Although the area is quite remote, it is very popular at this time of year with families and holidaymakers going down the coast to spend Christmas and New Year," said the ABC's Zalika Rizmal, reporting for Al Jazeera from Port Melbourne.

Neighbouring South Australia is also experiencing "catastrophic" fire conditions in some areas as temperatures reach above 40C (104F) and storms bring damaging winds.

The Country Fire Service's Brenton Eden said it would be a "very dangerous" day for people in the state, with lightning already sparking a number of blazes.

'Recipe for fire'
Conditions were also expected to deteriorate over the next two days in New South Wales, where 100 fires were burning on Monday morning including more than 40 which were not contained.

This season's bushfires have killed 10 people, destroyed more than 1,000 homes and scorched more than three million hectares (7.4 million acres) of land - an area bigger than Belgium. The fires have also shrouded Sydney and other large cities in a toxic smoke haze, forcing children to play indoors and causing professional sporting events to be cancelled.

Craig Lapsley, a former Victorian Emergency Management Commissioner, said it was a critical day for people in risk areas.

"It's a heatwave," he told Al Jazeera. "It's 40 degrees in most locations, and if it's not 40 it's above 40, and the winds are very strong so that's obviously the recipe for fires. The heat of the day heats up the forest and the grass and then the wind comes along and drives the fire."

The crisis has focused attention on climate change, which scientists say is creating a longer and more intense bushfire season. The country is also grappling with a prolonged and devastating drought.

While conservative Prime Minister Scott Morrison belatedly acknowledged a link between the fires and climate change, he has continued his staunch support of Australia's lucrative coal mining industry and ruled out further action to reduce emissions.

A petition to cancel Sydney's famous New Year's Eve fireworks and use the money to fight bushfires ringing the city has topped 270,000 signatures, but officials say the show will go on.

Sydney has spent 6.5 million Australian dollars ($4.5m) on this year's fireworks display, funds that the Change.org petition argues would be better spent on supporting volunteer firefighters and farmers suffering through the brutal drought.

Source: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/12/thousands-urged-evacuate-australia-fire-risk-rises-191230030949334.html

Re: Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises by helinues: 6:51am On Dec 30, 2019
Only heavy downpour can quench the fires..

This is beyond having sophisticated fire fighting equipments .. The solution lies with mother nature

130 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises by BuhariAdvocate: 6:54am On Dec 30, 2019
They should come to Nigeria to invest. Here there is a security for their life and property.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises by ghettokid1(m): 7:02am On Dec 30, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
They should come to Nigeria to invest. Here there is a security for their life and property.
u dont mean it!

174 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises by ghettokid1(m): 7:03am On Dec 30, 2019
This is the only place wey Africa better pass oyibo

8 Likes

Re: Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises by Nobody: 7:07am On Dec 30, 2019
helinues:

This is beyond having sophisticated fire fighting equipments .. The solution lies with mother nature

The previous wildfires in the US, was it not firefighters that eventually quenched the fire?..

So they should rather leave the fire unattended while waiting for raining season?...

Please try this 2020, add more effort to be logical.

111 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises by BuhariAdvocate: 7:09am On Dec 30, 2019
I don't mean what ? With the current situation they find themselves. They will prefer Nigeria than South hemisphere.
ghettokid1:

u dont mean it!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises by Randy100: 7:11am On Dec 30, 2019
Very soon TB Joshua will claim that he prophecised about the heat wave currently heating Australia now. I can't wait for 31st december when they will start releasing their useless prediction as 2020 prophecy. My own prophecy is that somebody in Nigeria is going to die in 2020. Nigeria people should pray against this, so that nobody will die in Nigeria in 2020.

79 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises by helinues: 7:11am On Dec 30, 2019
Esseite:

The previous wildfires in the US, was it not firefighters that eventually quenched the fire?..

So they should rather leave the fire unattended while waiting for raining season?...

Please try this 2020, add more effort.

Oga, we only talk with facts.. The conclusions was made by the authority like a month ago

We are talking of more than 2.1m hectares ( 5.1m acres) already scorched

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises by Nobody: 7:18am On Dec 30, 2019
helinues:

Oga, we don't do here say.. The conclusions was made by the authority like a month ago

We are talking of more than 2.1m hectares ( 5.1m acres) already scorched

And if the rain does not come?

So because it has done high damage, the country should fold its hands and only pray for rain?...

The fire is being contained gradually, it's the firefighters risking their lives doing it.

Not all Nations are Nigerians..

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises by nero2face: 7:24am On Dec 30, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
I don't mean what ? With the current situation they find themselves. They will prefer Nigeria than South hemisphere.
Bros don't deceive ur self, even u typing this would prefer to go and face this Australia fire than remain in this country, no sane mam would prefer Nigeria to Australia bcuz of bushfires.

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises by helinues: 7:25am On Dec 30, 2019
Esseite:

And if the rain does not come?

So because it has done high damage, the country should fold its hands and only pray for rain?...

The fire is being contained gradually, it's the firefighters risking their lives doing it.

Not all Nations are Nigerians..

Fire contained while people are asked to evacuate?

The long drought in the area worsened the situations.

Abi what was this article about?

3 Likes

Re: Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises by Nobody: 7:38am On Dec 30, 2019
helinues:

Fire contained while people are asked to evacuate?

The long drought in the area worsened the situations.

Abi what was this article about?

Conditions were also expected to deteriorate over the next two days in New South Wales, where 100 fires were burning on Monday morning including more than 40 which were not contained.

They take safety as priority... they anticipate for the worst scenario and take caution.

And yes, some of the fires are being contained.. you can encourage and pray for them, why would you encourage them to drop tools and only pray for rain..

12 Likes

Re: Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises by helinues: 7:42am On Dec 30, 2019
Esseite:

They take safety as priority... they anticipate for the worst scenario and take caution.

And yes, some of the fires are being contained.. you can encourage and pray for them, why would you encourage them to drop tools and only pray for rain..

Sometimes I dont understand what you guys argued about..

Should there be a heavy rainfall, the fire would have been put off naturally without long battling by the firefighters.

Is that too hard to comprehend my broda?

10 Likes

Re: Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises by Nobody: 7:44am On Dec 30, 2019
Climate change o pari
Re: Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises by Nobody: 7:58am On Dec 30, 2019
helinues:

Sometimes I dont understand what you guys argued about..

Should there be a heavy rainfall, the fire would have been put off naturally without long battling by the firefighters.

Is that too hard to comprehend my broda?

This was your quote below which prompted my correction.. moreover you are advising they rely on "Should".. when they have equipments that have worked in reducing the spread...

helinues:

8 Likes

Re: Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises by helinues: 8:04am On Dec 30, 2019
Esseite:

This was your quote below which prompted my correction.. moreover you are advising they rely on "Should".. when they have equipments that have worked in reducing the spread...

Me listening to Aaliyah - Back and forth

Happy new week

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises by Nobody: 8:06am On Dec 30, 2019
helinues:

Happy new week

You can run along and join the bandwagon... just because we are Nigerians and condole stupid things in this country does not mean you spread such.

13 Likes

Re: Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises by helinues: 8:08am On Dec 30, 2019
Esseite:

You can run along and join the bandwagon... just because we are Nigerians and condole stupid things in this country does not mean you spread such.

Must every conversations end with insults even after wishing you happy new week.

Hian!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises by Nobody: 8:18am On Dec 30, 2019
helinues:

Must every conversations end with insults even after wishing you happy new week.

Hian!

Heli...there is no insult in that comment.. I used "WE" as Nigerians condoling stupid things... bandwagon is not an insult, it only means a popular cause amongst a people.

Compliments of season..

3 Likes

Re: Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises by MANNABBQGRILLS: 2:23pm On Dec 30, 2019
Typhoon Phanfone, which made landfall on Tuesday, caused severe floods and destroyed homes in several provinces.

We thank God we dont have all these kind of natural disasters in this part of the world.

Our natural disasters are our corrupt politicians.
And everyone of them that fraudulently looted our national treasury will never end well in life.
No be curse,
Na FACT!

Take heart Aussies, this too shall pass!

Yewandequeen:
Nigeria is really blessed yet we are not grateful neither do we make use of all benefits bestowed to us naturally.
You are so right Queen Yewande.
Slow and steady we will get to a New and better Nigeria.

*singing*
Sisi Yewande mori e.
Bo sen nowo morie e.
Sha ma jaye ori e,
Oluwa ti ba e se,
Alubarika loju laye yi......etc.
Happy New Year in addy dearie kiss

Yewandequeen:
we are not cursed, just that we the inhabitants are the cause of our problems.
GBAMsolutely!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises by superlanny(m): 2:24pm On Dec 30, 2019
Have been reading this news on various platforms and I really pity those who lost a lot in the fires, but the warning signs have been there for ages and we failed to tackle it"GLOBAL WARMING". See when harmattan is showing face, the weather is confused abeg.

3 Likes

Re: Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises by OneCorner: 2:25pm On Dec 30, 2019
How can I get Australian visa

2 Likes

Re: Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises by loadedvibes: 2:26pm On Dec 30, 2019
Wahala
Re: Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises by Expert17: 2:27pm On Dec 30, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:

Security like SARS baa grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises by Lewisalexander(m): 2:27pm On Dec 30, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:

I'll rather burn in the bush than to come to Nigeria

8 Likes

Re: Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises by Pavore9: 2:27pm On Dec 30, 2019
ghettokid1:
This is the only place wey Africa better pass oyibo

We come up with our own disasters.

3 Likes

Re: Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises by Sheriman(m): 2:27pm On Dec 30, 2019
So this bushfire Never stop, I saw it on Aljazeera yesterday night.. May God help them

1 Like

Re: Mass Evacuation In Australia As Heat Risk Rises by sLentlover7778(m): 2:28pm On Dec 30, 2019
You sabi....

helinues:

Happy new week

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

First Two Muslim Women Elected To US Congress (photos) / Murder Suicides: Russian Oligarchs, Vladislav And Gazprombank Die 24 Hours Apart / Joe Biden Picks Senator Kamala Harris as VP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.